What is it with insurers? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Weird because comfort want £1785 per year for my van with 10000 limited mileage maximum of 90 days in europe and only £1500 glass cover....and no breakdown

For £620 safeguard gives me 365 continuous european cover , breakdown home and europe wide , unlimited Miles and unlimited glass.

They replaced my windscreen last November at £1590 so 2 years insurance already covered
You must have upset them Tam :ROFLMAO:

I have 365 day cover from Comfort with European breakdown, unlimited mileage and unlimited glass (as long as you use Autoglass for replacement) for a tad over £500. And I too got my moneys worth on the glass cover.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You must have upset them Tam :ROFLMAO:

I have 365 day cover from Comfort with European breakdown, unlimited mileage and unlimited glass (as long as you use Autoglass for replacement) for a tad over £500. And I too got my moneys worth on the glass cover.
If you read the small print it's 90 days max on a single trip. max 9 mounths in 12.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Weird because comfort want £1785 per year for my van with 10000 limited mileage maximum of 90 days in europe and only £1500 glass cover....and no breakdown
Something not right there, price sounds like a full timers policy.
Standard windscreen cover with Comfort is unlimited if you use Autoglass otherwise £3000.
Edit:
365 day European cover with 90 day trip limit is standard. max of 9 months in 12.
I paid £431 last year including the £64 for breakdown cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you read the small print it's 90 days max on a single trip.
Well that is news to me Lenny HB . So I have just phoned Comfort to find out. And they do not say that at all.

For the motorhome insurance they say that there is no specific trip duration, as long as you do not use the motorhome anywhere (both UK and Europe) for more than 9 months in 12 months. And in Europe the only limit is you are not over 180 days in any one country. For the breakdown service part they say that there is no limit at all in Europe. That is confirmed by the wording of my breakdown policy that says I am covered "in the UK and Europe, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year".

All of that seems pretty generous to me and certainly covers me for what I want. The policy also makes clear that it is NOT a full timers policy, and requires me to rent or own a home in the UK. That is OK with me because I am not a full timer.

I suspect like you that Tam was quoted for a full timers policy. I understand that Comfort are one of the few insurers that allow full timing, but at a higher premium. And my guess is that the Safeguard policy he has got is not a full timers policy either at that price. Whether the small print in his policy covers they way he uses his motorhome I do not know.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well that is news to me Lenny HB . So I have just phoned Comfort to find out. And they do not say that at all.

For the motorhome insurance they say that there is no specific trip duration, as long as you do not use the motorhome anywhere (both UK and Europe) for more than 9 months in 12 months. And in Europe the only limit is you are not over 180 days in any one country. For the breakdown service part they say that there is no limit at all in Europe. That is confirmed by the wording of my breakdown policy that says I am covered "in the UK and Europe, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year".

All of that seems pretty generous to me and certainly covers me for what I want. The policy also makes clear that it is NOT a full timers policy, and requires me to rent or own a home in the UK. That is OK with me because I am not a full timer.

I suspect like you that Tam was quoted for a full timers policy. I understand that Comfort are one of the few insurers that allow full timing, but at a higher premium. And my guess is that the Safeguard policy he has got is not a full timers policy either at that price. Whether the small print in his policy covers they way he uses his motorhome I do not know.
You are correct Peter, it's me old age I was getting 90 days & 9 months confused, well they both have 9's. :ROFLMAO:
Edited.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Something not right there, price sounds like a full timers policy.
Standard windscreen cover with Comfort is unlimited if you use Autoglass otherwise £3000.
Edit:
365 day European cover with 90 day trip limit is standard. max of 9 months in 12.
I paid £431 last year including the £64 for breakdown cover.
Certainly dont have a full timers policy I simply told them both years that I was travelling in europe for a full year and they stated and confirmed in writing to me that I had 365 days continuous cover anywhere in europe.

With the quote I had from comfort I didn't say full timing either I just made the same statement that i planned to be travelling a full year in europe.

I've learned not to use the word fulltime. Everything is registered to my mums address and I'm on voters roll here

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Certainly dont have a full timers policy I simply told them both years that I was travelling in europe for a full year and they stated and confirmed in writing to me that I had 365 days continuous cover anywhere in europe.

With the quote I had from comfort I didn't say full timing either I just made the same statement that i planned to be travelling a full year in europe.

I've learned not to use the word fulltime. Everything is registered to my mums address and I'm on voters roll here

Tam that is interesting, because I have a Safeguard policy which does limit me to 90 days per trip, but obviously they can be flexible. Must remember that . Thanks.

Geoff

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The fact you said travelling for a year I think is the reason they quoted you the full timers rate.
Yep, Tam did not meet there 9 months in 12 limit. And also the small print says that you must own or have a long term rental agreement of at least 9 months for a UK place of residence. That means they would automatically quote what they call their full time policy.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Comfort, (sorry Jim) 9 months Europe cover and breakdown 12 months UK cover, van under 10 years old fully comp A class ( alarmed etc) £430
Previous van Coach built Hobby as per above £380 only proviso if you are going to leave the van anywhere apart from where normally kept unoccupied for more than 48 hrs call them..............£10 a month extra been with them over 10 years and had one claim paid up no problem. Its worth doing your advanced or LGV licence as it does drop your insurance quite a bit, you get your outlay back after 3 /4 years and it's with you for life

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Just personal. No reason that should stop anyone else using them.

Glad it is just personal Jim...cos we are with Comfort. ;)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
According to Martin Lewis, best time to negotiate an insurance policy is 21 days before renewal / start date of new policy. Always works for me.....(y)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Been with Comfort for the last 9 years, never gone up by more than a tenner & some years it's gone down.
7 years for us, although never gone down. Given the non sense that abounds in the motor insurance industry at renewal time, highlighted here, I still feel the urge to obtain other quotes.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Comfort, (sorry Jim) 9 months Europe cover and breakdown 12 months UK cover, van under 10 years old fully comp A class ( alarmed etc) £430
Previous van Coach built Hobby as per above £380 only proviso if you are going to leave the van anywhere apart from where normally kept unoccupied for more than 48 hrs call them..............£10 a month extra been with them over 10 years and had one claim paid up no problem. Its worth doing your advanced or LGV licence as it does drop your insurance quite a bit, you get your outlay back after 3 /4 years and it's with you for life

what mileage ?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I insured with safeguard this year as they worked out cheaper by having 12months European breakdown cover included. Whereas with the c&cc and c&mc you had to take out separate European cover which cost and arm and a leg.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Got my renewal in today, Caravan Gaurd, all the usual points covered.
Excess £300
Uk recovery (not home start must be outwith 1mile from home)
Quote £265
Checked Comfort, same annual mileage , recovery includes home start certainly, didnt give excesses though.
Quote £315
I have been with caravan gaurd 5yrs and always between £255-£265
Postcode makes a big difference aswell.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
The difference was about £500 from the big clubs and comfort. You only know how good insurance/service is when you need to make a claim. I have returned to Directline for the car/house/travel recently because I have found the quotes competitive and the once I needed to claim when some kind person stole my 2 year old, just paid for car they were really great helpful and efficient. I am keeping my finger crossed that I will not need their services.....
I got a renewal quote from Direct Line for my car in August, it had increased by £30 on last year. I'm driving a 2010 Peugeot 207 1.4HDi and it's market value is just over £1k. The quote was the same as the quote I had for my MH which I paid £43k for last year, also annual mileage is very similar.
For years I'd just been auto renewing as the renewal date always fell when I was going on holiday, but not this year. I went on line to Go Compare and saved myself over £200 with even better cover. I then called Direct Line and told them I wouldn't be renewing after 24 years. They offered me a loyalty discount (there's a laugh) of £75. I said back date it for 20 years and you have a deal (having NEVER claimed) I'll never auto renew again. :doh:
My saving will pay next years too with enough left for a night out

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I got a renewal quote from Direct Line for my car in August, it had increased by £30 on last year. I'm driving a 2010 Peugeot 207 1.4HDi and it's market value is just over £1k. The quote was the same as the quote I had for my MH which I paid £43k for last year, also annual mileage is very similar.
For years I'd just been auto renewing as the renewal date always fell when I was going on holiday, but not this year. I went on line to Go Compare and saved myself over £200 with even better cover. I then called Direct Line and told them I wouldn't be renewing after 24 years. They offered me a loyalty discount (there's a laugh) of £75. I said back date it for 20 years and you have a deal (having NEVER claimed) I'll never auto renew again. :doh:
My saving will pay next years too with enough left for a night out

Unfortunately I had to test my theory I had a leak and called direct line only to be told the 'leak' insurance was a separate policy to the house .Interesting well, 6 hours later a plumber arrived I explained that the leak was under the floor and he started to look around each loo and suggest that the leak was coming in through the window above the door which was interesting I have never known water to run up hill let alone vertically straight up.

The young made who had been in the job 4 weeks and it was his first 'on call' asked could he borrow a screwdriver , I thought a good tradesman carried his own. He had no idea where or how to solve the problem I certainly was not going to allow him to take the ceiling down to find the leak. He spent most f the time o the phone in the van talking to his boss. He was so pleased to get out of the property when I told him to go as his next call was a leak under someone's sink and in his words 'he knew how to fix that'

His solution was to turn my water and leave me to it without any water in the home he did not investigation what so ever and assured me that another plumber would be out the following day and I would be called by 08.30. I am still waiting for that call about 6 weeks ago now it never arrived I contacted direct line informed me that they were waiting for a quote interesting as no one had been to the house to look at the problem. On contacting Dyno-rod they were very vague

I told them not to bother and got the issue rectified As my insurances come up for renewal I will be changing companies as my theory proved correct as an insurance company is only as good as how they react in times of crisis. Directline they were fine the contractor they engaged awful.

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I've just renewed with Advance, the 1st time I've renewed with the same company for years. I could have saved a few quid, not enough to make it worthwhile. I did ask to remove the European allowance, as I can't see us using it, but that would have made it more expensive as it would have been a bespoke policy. So i just left it as is. At least it's ready to go when this debacle is over.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Since when? Our van is 2003 and we have been insuring with Comfort since we bought it over 6 years ago.
I think there policy is not to insure a motorhome for the first time if it is over 15 years old. If you first insure one less than 15 years old they will keep that insurance going as long as you want.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Petros

We moved from AiB to CMC, both Aviva policies and apart from the broker identical, last year as CMC was substantially less than AiB.

This year we have already had two calls from AiB asking us to re-insure through them. We've already renewed with CMC as the cost of the policy was less than last year (and the same policy). If AiB call again I will be very annoyed as I've told them to take me off their marketing lists.

Jan 7, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090df
Exp
Moho since June 2018
Just switched at renewal from Advance (Axa policy) to Comfort (Aviva policy) with like for like cover. Slightly cheaper but so much easier to quote and put in force. Very impressed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back