What is it with insurers? (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Today was the day for the annual ring around to obtain quotes for the motorhome.

Firstly, there was over £800 difference between the lowest and highest quotes for essentially the same cover.

Secondly, I rang the Caravan and Motorhome Club Insurance line who gave me a quote which was £140 more than my renewal quote with Safeguard. When I told them this they mentioned their promise to “beat your renewal quotation by at least £25.” I gave them my renewal figure and they were immediately ready to knock £165 off their original quote. Why can’t they simply do that in the first place?

I eventually went with Comfort who quoted almost £70 less than the C&MHC’s revised quote. (y)

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Each insurer will have a different profile of customer they would prefer to insure. If you don't fit the profile they want, they will quote you a high price just in case. If they turned round and said " we're not going to quote you because we don't like your profile..." there would be outrage, so they just quote high instead

The insurance industry works on a bait and hook model. Many people buy on price, so to compete they discount new customer quotes, with the idea that come renewal, only a proportion will shop around and they will make some of the lost profit back.

There is an argument to go flat pricing - trouble is, if you set an insurance firm to do that, I suspect you'd never win any new business and go bust.

In the end, the most important fact you highlighted about your final choice of policy, was the price. Not the Defacto rating for how well they pay out, or the level of cover, or their customer satisfaction scores, or their financial stability etc etc etc Its a very competitive market?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Ernesto
I accept your comment re profile fit etc but was surprised that the two “Members Clubs” ie C&CC and C&MHC were happy to accept my “profile” as a member for the last 20+ years but were among the highest initial quotes.:madder:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
maison renewed with AIB Southampton. It's the same underlying Aviva policy as comfort and they were a lot cheaper.
Worth giving them a call. Thete is a cooling off period I think on your new policy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
maison renewed with AIB Southampton. It's the same underlying Aviva policy as comfort and they were a lot cheaper.
Worth giving them a call. Thete is a cooling off period I think on your new policy.
I had been with AIB for a few years prior to last renewal and the quote was higher than the year before so I rang round and the best quote was Comfort by £50 , I told AIB and they said they had given me there best price ,so went with Comfort as you say its the same underlying Aviva policy

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
The difference was about £500 from the big clubs and comfort. You only know how good insurance/service is when you need to make a claim. I have returned to Directline for the car/house/travel recently because I have found the quotes competitive and the once I needed to claim when some kind person stole my 2 year old, just paid for car they were really great helpful and efficient. I am keeping my finger crossed that I will not need their services.....

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Another vote for AIB. Been with them for five years... and have 3 vehicles with them (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Would you like to give a reason Jim?

Just personal. No reason that should stop anyone else using them.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have been insuring my beloved Cavalier with Churchill for over 20 years. Last year paid £189.
I knew it would need some work for the MOT so transferred over to an Audi A3 57 plate.
That was a couple of weeks ago, insurance is due 23rd Feb and quote in post today was £361.76 o_O
Went online, £252, rang, and it has been accepted as the new price, hold on she said, I can make that £202.72.
That's a saving of £170.96 !!!! A drop of 44% for making a 'phone call and I used the 0800 number instead of 0345 as well.

Sianna

Free Member
Feb 9, 2020
Derby
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
New to the experience
I got a quote from a insurance company for having my MH stored on the drive at home, then when I said when not in long period of use I'd store it in my local Army Camp where I work they added £120 to the quote! Must be the armed guards, CCTV, patrol dogs, Infra red senors and live on site caretakers and guard force that makes it so insecure!

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I got a quote from a insurance company for having my MH stored on the drive at home, then when I said when not in long period of use I'd store it in my local Army Camp where I work they added £120 to the quote! Must be the armed guards, CCTV, patrol dogs, Infra red senors and live on site caretakers and guard force that makes it so insecure!

No of course not! It's because anything identifiably connected to the Armed Forces, attracts 'dodgy' types intent on committing crimes. Thereby automatically considered a higher risk address than eg 23 Railway Cuttings.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
No of course not! It's because anything identifiably connected to the Armed Forces, attracts 'dodgy' types intent on committing crimes. Thereby automatically considered a higher risk address than eg 23 Railway Cuttings.
Did Tony Hancock have a Motorhome ::bigsmile:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Why do most people just go for the lowest premium? There are some underwriters who I wouldn't trust with anything, let alone a high value motorhome. Look at Staveley head and the poor rated underwriters they used. There were financial warnings online for a couple of years yet people still took out policies.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well - even if he had which seems doubtful to me, unless it was a converted eg Commer possibly - Devon etc didn't start converting VWs until the 1960s, ish -he'd most likely have had to park it elsewhere as I doubt a street called Railway Cuttings would have had a great deal of parking, if any! So maybe he'd have been more sympathetic?

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I do wonder how insurance companies calculate their pricing. When we picked up our new Rapido a couple of weeks ago it came with 14 days free insurance from Caravan Guard, but as part of this they quote you for a year's cover.......with an annual premium of £1365 :whatthe:

Called up Comfort to change our policy from the Bailey (worth about £30k, annual premium £296) to the Rapido (just over 60k) - no extra premium required (y) just had to pay the admin fee of £20 for a policy amendment, but that's to be expected. How can Caravan Guard justify charging more than £1k more? The mind boggles.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Son No.2 discovered something whilst applying for Insurance and in this case could probably apply to motorhomes.

He bought a car when he arrived back in the country.

Instead of ringing for immediate cover, he bought 'Specific Time' insurance in order to get the car home. (I didn't know but you can buy, '2 hour insurance)
He then rang around the Co.s for his annual cover but, instead of asking for cover to start, 'Tomorrow', he asked for it to start in a fortnight. The difference was astounding.
Apparently Ins. Co.s have been stung too many times by peeps taking out immediate cover when in actuality the accident has already occured.

By insuring the car from a time, say in a week/fortnights time, the price came down remarkably.

Ironside

Free Member
Sep 17, 2016
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano 695G
Exp
Since 2016
All my insurances are higher because I live within a military camp, car & van higher, life higher apparently it’s because of the amount of accidents reported from within the military, load of cobblers me thinks.
Locked inside a building that I alone have access to as well.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Locked inside a building that I alone have access to as well.
But your insurance company will not know that. It will be under the general post code of the camp, that as you advise is an otherwise higher risk.

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Looking into next year's insurance at moment, currently with Comfort. Their renewal premium has gone up by £30. Contacted AIB and they are £40 cheaper than Comfort with same underwriters, Aviva

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I just had my renewal in from Sureguard Insurance and the price has gone up by .......... drum roll.......a crazy 43%!

What planet are they on??

I called them and they said.....”Ah.....not sure why the increase is so big.....but that’s the best we can do”.

I’ve done a few quick comparisons and I can probably get the same cover for circa £350 vs the £600 that Sureguard wanted.

Any top tips and suggestions for good cover at a good price?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I just had my renewal in from Sureguard Insurance and the price has gone up by .......... drum roll.......a crazy 43%!

I called them and they said.....”Ah.....not sure why the increase is so big.....but that’s the best we can do”.

I’ve done a few quick comparisons and I can probably get the same cover for circa £350 vs the £600 that Sureguard wanted.

Yes.

Whatever company you are currently with ring around. The likelihood is that you will get a much better quote. Then you can argue with your current company or leave.

It shouldn’t be like that but, unfortunately,it is.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I asked Safeguard for a quote just today initially it was £1371 their alternative company wouldn't even quote without a Thatcham tracker fitted. Back to Comfort then and around £400.
I wanted 10K mileage up from 8k and they want a further £40+ for the extra 2K miles.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Did the same to me, I got a much better deal from caravanguard

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I asked Safeguard for a quote just today initially it was £1371 their alternative company wouldn't even quote without a Thatcham tracker fitted. Back to Comfort then and around £400.
I wanted 10K mileage up from 8k and they want a further £40+ for the extra 2K miles.
Weird because comfort want £1785 per year for my van with 10000 limited mileage maximum of 90 days in europe and only £1500 glass cover....and no breakdown

For £620 safeguard gives me 365 continuous european cover , breakdown home and europe wide , unlimited Miles and unlimited glass.

They replaced my windscreen last November at £1590 so 2 years insurance already covered

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back