What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (2 Viewers)

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
So how is the remap...or have I missed an update 🙂
I’m impressed by it. 200bhp and 400 torkies. Professionally done with a full diagnostic before it’s mapped. He takes a copy of the engine msp and emails down to the map people who have all the rules of maps for all cars/vans. Asked if I wanted more power or economy I asked for a bit of both. 20 mins later the new map came by email and put in the van. Instant power increases all around you can feel the extra torkies. Fuel economy so far brim to brim and I’m getting 29mpg. So far impressed and it changes the van for the better 👍🥃😷

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nothing major in the way of fixes but it stopped the fridge door opening on roundabouts.
Leaving Scotch Corner services the fridge door swung open. Management closed the door again but would not stay shut.
This being the third time the crappy plastic catch has let go in five years I had a think about a permanent fix. A new catch is about £18 so that wasn’t going to happen again.
On the top of the door is the bracket for swapping the hinge to the other side with a matching hole in the top of the door. For now I put a screw in there. When I get home I will make a posh version of this a lot cheaper than £18.
If you still haven't sorted out a 'posh' version a golf tee does the trick! :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Working through a little list prior to longer journeys. Biggest job was to dismount the Heki, repair some minor cracks and holes and then refit with new sealant (thanks Terry for advice). The heavy rain over the weekend has not exposed an issue (yay).
I also resealed a side window that I was suspicious of.
Fixed a Tambor door that had started to come open while driving.
Removed the Tyre monitors which have not been a success.
Ordered a new starter battery (arrives tomorrow)
Still have to replace favourite paring knife that has sadly gone missing.
Checked oil, water and air.
Amended pre-travel checklist

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Working through a little list prior to longer journeys. Biggest job was to dismount the Heki, repair some minor cracks and holes and then refit with new sealant (thanks Terry for advice). The heavy rain over the weekend has not exposed an issue (yay).

Evening,
Can I ask what you did to the Tambor door to stop it opening whilst driving?
Thanks.

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Some more odds and ends.
Extractor van in toilet room. No photos

And some bling wheel nuts , valve caps and front mudflaps.
Yes
7B951FBA-08B9-4509-9C63-ED62D8E51213.jpeg
33BD876A-0D80-4255-B591-F710C0ADD845.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Evening,
Can I ask what you did to the Tambor door to stop it opening whilst driving?
Thanks.
Sure Glenn.
Here's the door, it opens right to left. Odd that it's started doing this after so long?
DSCN6379_21reduced.JPG

My original idea was to fit a small bolt on the front lip that could be simply operated whenever we are moving. Something like this

ae235.jpg

While searching my parts bin to see if I had one I came across these wedges

DSCN6383_26reduced.JPG

They are the spacers you use when fitting floating flooring.

So I tried pushing one into the closed tambor like so, the ridges face towards the door for grip
DSCN6381_23reduced.JPG

Hey presto, holds it well.
It's a bit Heath Robinson and I might eventually find a mini bolt as above for something more permanent but I'm happy so far and it's certainly an improvement on the gaffer tape first used while travelling...

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSCN6383_25reduced.JPG
    DSCN6383_25reduced.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

But did you kick the tyres, can't go anywhere without first kicking the tyres 😀👍🏻

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Some more odds and ends.
Extractor van in toilet room. No photos

And some bling wheel nuts , valve caps and front mudflaps.
Yes View attachment 513693View attachment 513694
I fitted bling dust caps, but they corroded on, due to dissimilar metals.

Had to use mole grips to remove them, but luckily no damage to valve. Think I'd use a smear of copperslip if I did it again.

Looks good by the way 👍🏻

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Our 7095DF came with no spare Wheel. The dealer gave me a rim, I’ve fitted a Continental Camper tyre and had an Alko spare wheel carrier kicking around, left over from my trailer shop days!
it took a bit of faffing about but I’ve made a new support plate and adapted to fit our chassis. It’s now neatly hung, amidships, between the axles.
Not much ground clearance lost, the chassis depth is the same as the tyre width! 👍

Attachments

• 73645D88-9454-4F88-AEE9-06033DDE4D2F.jpeg
    73645D88-9454-4F88-AEE9-06033DDE4D2F.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 28

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The continental version of our McLouis doesn't have the cooker/grill fitted under the worktop, but in the UK they pop in a Thetford one. However it sits beneath a 3” worktop overhang that also includes a led strip light. Quickly realised the likelyhood of heat damage, or possibly much worse from the rising heat coming out of the grill, proper hot. Popped along to B&Q, 1mm sheet of steel bought, cut to size and shaped to fit. Bespoke heat shield

CA5A6E15-7D49-4EEF-8891-E9F18897F4D5.jpeg

Deleted User
Fitted fine mosquito netting on the inside of the two small roof vents which only had a grating and let mosquitos in!! Gave them a good clean at the same time. Why would Hymer fit such vents when they go to the trouble of fitting flyscreens to every other aperture on the motorhome. It’s a bit like writing a back door script on software for mosquitos to take advantage of :ROFLMAO:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Our 7095DF came with no spare Wheel. The dealer gave me a rim, I’ve fitted a Continental Camper tyre and had an Alko spare wheel carrier kicking around, left over from my trailer shop days!
it took a bit of faffing about but I’ve made a new support plate and adapted to fit our chassis. It’s now neatly hung, amidships, between the axles.
Not much ground clearance lost, the chassis depth is the same as the tyre width! 👍
What ground clearance to you get beneath the wheel?

I can’t make up my mind to underslung mine or not due to clearance.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Fixed the sliding insect blind on the habitation door. Thought there was a screw proud stopping it sliding but turned out to be some weather strip it was having difficulty getting past. Then discovered a missing screw on the entire frame at the top causing the top channel to pop up.

All fixed, screw added, weatherstrip replaced and siliconed the runners for good measure. :giggle:

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp

I can measure it exactly, but I’d guess at 200mm. It’s a fraction lower than the exhaust. .. ..

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp

I’ve had the tape measure on it! The carrier has 130mm clearance, the exhaust is 150mm, the chassis is 180mm.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’ve had the tape measure on it! The carrier has 130mm clearance, the exhaust is 150mm, the chassis is 180mm.
Thanks for that. I like the idea of storing under the van, but don’t like the idea of ripping it off on a road bump.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Thanks for that. I like the idea of storing under the van, but don’t like the idea of ripping it off on a road bump.
Neither did i .
When i fitted mine i took the van upto the highest local road hump stradelled it and stopped just before and got out. A car appeared from nowhere with a driver rather bemused by my antics of lying on the floor and trying to measure the gap, then getting in driving 2 foot and repeating the measurement. All is well and wheel is higher than axle.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I thought the satellite dish had blown a fuse when I put it up. Couldn't open the box because I didn't have a square head screwdriver in my MH toolkit so we drove into town with the dish up. Got lots of strange looks and hand signals from passing motorists. Bought a new screwdriver. Opened the box. Fuse hadn't blown. Jiggled a few things. Dish came down and is working fine.... until the next time!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back