What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (2 Viewers)

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Had the dreaded spring issue in an FAP M1 internal door lock mechanism over the weekend, ordered one while away and it came today .....fitted and as good as new....now to strip the old lock and see about making some springs...then I can help others with the same lock.... also....washed the motorhome down after the very messy salty roads.... clean and ready to go again...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have fitted some speakers and a Bluetooth amp in the lounge area (y) we had some grills covering holes in the underside of the cabinets and there were cables but they all needed extending and running to the front where I had power for the 12v amp. Anyway all sorted at a fraction of the price on the MORELO price list.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Not done it myself, but I had air assist fitted this morning. I was going to do it myself, but for an extra £100 or so the bloke drove down from Leicester and fitted it on my drive. Saved me having to lie under the van in the cold.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Had a blood pressure test 138/85😀
18/5 ott, no real probs, we were in Germany a couple of years ago and I carry with me a blood pressure meter, 215/95, and I’m still alive, might have been the schnapps

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Cleaned inside this morning and found a couple of loose screws at the cutlery draw runners so new screws and all is good.... roll on 15th Jan 2021....off out again for our Christmas ...as we are working during..... that is of course if the virus doesn't go out of control with people being stupid on the 5 day thingy and then we have to stay home...

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I fitted some False UK number plates, so we can use our motorhome to travel around Spain and Portugal.

Last edited:

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Steve N Tracy
Can you identify the hole you put the cable tie in to limit the travel please? The info would help before I dive in.
Many thanks

Hi when you remove the tank sender with the fill restrictor on it, you can see the sender float unit, you need to position the cable tie around the float wire mounting plate, so the float contact does not go pass the sender windings, as the extra 30 litres of fuel will cause it to do this, otherwise you will get warning light saying there is no fuel as the the contact goes past the windings.
Doing it this way does not affect the fuel gauge accuracy on the lower readings, you travel about 140 miles with the gauge on full before the gauge starts to register, the other option would be a new 90 litre fuel sender, and having it programmed in by a Fiat commercial dealer if they will do this.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Fitted a new Reich drain valve on the fresh water tank, the old was holding but showed signs of a slight leak. They use a push fit with a locking key provided so two screws to remove from the floor, pull out the key, pull off the pipe, push the pipe into the new, fit the key then insert in the hole in the floor which is a tight push fit and two screws back in, ten minutes to do the whole job including finding the correct “torx” tool.

Also had trouble with the passenger door mirror, standard long arm Ducato type. On removing the top arm cover, the rearward one, found a long screw like a wood screw with a hex head and tried tightening it but the plastic gave up the ghost. On eBay they can be had for £150 plus or so but thought that I could insert a bolt with locknuts, pretty it is not if you look close enough, two very large washers one at each end and tightened it up. If it had not been for the rear view camera it would have been exceptionally difficult seeing what was coming up on the passenger side. Will test this out later to see if it holds as on Tuesday it was exceptionally windy blowing the mirror into the door so no rear view at all. I also see that some of these mirrors do not have a screw, maybe a later modification which I gather can cause problems like mine.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Steve N Tracy
Thanks for info. Does the tube (fill restrictor) un-clip or did you have to remove with a hacksaw or similar?
Hopefully this is my last question, appreciate your knowledge.
It unclips but the catches are stiff and brittle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not been able to do a lot but have managed in fits and starts to do the following minor stuff:
  • Re-stuck one of the hab door panels that was loose
  • Made a protective cover for the hob - this is until I get the chance to put Fablon on the glass (need a nice warm day for that) & a new table cloth (plastic type cut to shape)
  • Removed the 2 location lugs under the small side seat base cushion as they were a nuisance due to them being a very tight fit and replace them with some wide Velcro.
  • Adapted a twin fridge fan kit to make an extractor fan for the over kitchen roof vent so that hubby can let the steam etc out when he's cooking, it is at one end of the vent and allows the night blind to be pulled up next to it and with a small infill at the end of the fan casing this should prevent any draught coming in (a problem for me as I feel the cold), the vent itself can still be opened without having to remove the fans and if we want it to pull in cool aire (eg summer) we can easily remove it and turn it over.
  • Not the MH itself but I've adapted the tall plastic stool (which I use to help me get in/out of the rear bed) into a rubbish bin, it already had a small storage section at the top with a hinged lid so I cut the base out and popped in the bin that came with the MH (I removed the bin from it's original location in one of the kitchen drawers as it took up lots of space and I can now use this for other stuff).

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Collecting mine out of the base in Netheravon next Friday.

Needs 2 new leisure batteries so that'll be first on the list. Haven't seen it for 5 months, so not sure what else to expect.

My nephew has been looking after it for me, running it up etc, but he's been serving with the yanks for the past 7 weeks, so will soon find out.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
The wardrobe door has been nothing but a nuisance ever since we bought the 2009 van in 2017. It kept on flying open an swinging about as you drove so that the hinges got loose. the keep plate on the catch was the main cause of the issue sit was screwed into a surface about 2mm thick. So yesterday I fixed the keep plate into the surface using screws and epoxy resin adhesive and did the same with the hinge screws into the cabinet of the wardrobe. So far so good, only a drive will see if it is any good but that Is waiting for the 17th when I go to a conference in Northampton, about 75 minutes away according to Google down the M6, either the M1 or A14

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Blood pressure now back to normal 121/71

Salt the root of all evil but I love it☹️

Can’t find the post “What have you done today”

Been bowls lost, but the different conversion was wonderful,

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Replaced the in line waterstrainer on the water pump it had cracked over the winter period and was leaking even though whole system was drained down ,as it sits on pump inlet there must have been enough water in it to crack it , new one £6 and 2 mins to fix everything working ok

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Waiting for a new expansion/pressure whatsit as ours is leaking, being delivered on Monday I can reach it easily to replace it’s a narrow garage door and john has to struggle to get his shoulders through, I have no problem but.
’I know you are capable and could do it but you shouldn’t have to do it while i am here to do it for you’ unfortunately he is not golfing on Monday so can’t do the deed before he gets home :LOL:
Wish he was so keen to sort out the things that need doing on the house.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The self build Iveco I lived in when I first joined Fun, (aka The Black Beast/Beauty), used to have four solar panels on its roof.

Two were removed and put on my beloved 1968 Hymer 660S.

Tragically The Hymer had to go... (licence problem).

The Black Beauty now serves as a shed on QMJ... AND a power station. Its panels charge a battery which is connected to a inverter which, in turn, supplies mains electricity to my borehole pump which provides me with beautifully fresh cool water AND...

... it supplies electricity to the filter pump for my (above ground) Intex pool.

The pool water is a tad green, the filter pump stopped working and the new pump just arrived yesterday but...

The "power station" broke down last week so the filter pump won't work...

Investigation today found the fault was in the Steca PR2020 (bought from our Blessed Leader a few years ago) (has the guarantee run out yet?)

A faulty earth connection caused arcing which burnt out the connector over time and it stopped charging the battery.

A cunning bit of thinking has fixed it!

20210508_142732.jpg

20210508_142725.jpg

I cut out the melted connector, repositioned the connector block, and all should be ok now. (I have no use for the third pair of connections which I believe supply "free electricity" when the panels are still producing but the battery is full.)

Will test system after the main event of today is finished...

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Finally fitted the Battery Master. The sun is out in Bexley so I hope to see it working 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
Emptied all the lockers and got rid of some excess weight, mopped the floor and shampooed the rugs :giggle:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When we bought our present motorhome it came complete with a new EHU lead. We didn’t use it as we already had one.

Last time out we decided to use the new one as the old one was slightly damaged where it had been run over. On leaving the site it proved almost impossible to disconnect the new lead from the EHU input socket on the m/h as it was so tight. Wiggling etc made me worry that we would damage the input socket or the plastic wall of the battery box to which it was fixed.

So, yesterday, I swapped the input plug from the old cable onto the new one. Result! One new cable that we can connect and disconnect without problems. Not exactly rocket science but good for peace of mind.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
When we bought our present motorhome it came complete with a new EHU lead. We didn’t use it as we already had one.

Last time out we decided to use the new one as the old one was slightly damaged where it had been run over. On leaving the site it proved almost impossible to disconnect the new lead from the EHU input socket on the m/h as it was so tight. Wiggling etc made me worry that we would damage the input socket or the plastic wall of the battery box to which it was fixed.

So, yesterday, I swapped the input plug from the old cable onto the new one. Result! One new cable that we can connect and disconnect without problems. Not exactly rocket science but good for peace of mind.
Same happened to me in the New Forest. Mine turned out to be a tiny bit of muck in the input to the van end socket, which then arc welded itself to one of the van terminals, completely unknown to me, until I was taking in the EHU.

It would not budge and come out of the van, no matter how hard I tried, so had to dismantle the van input end of the EHU and drive home with a hole in the side. Good job it was hot and sunny.

It was a lesson to myself, so now I plug in the van first, which makes sense, as dragging a live lead across possible damp grass, wasn't the most sensible thing on a site 😅😬😄

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
the safer thing to do is switch off the vans fuse board while connecting/disconnecting the 240v

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
the safer thing to do is switch off the vans fuse board while connecting/disconnecting the 240v
Absolutely and that's standard practice, however the power will still run through the EHU and up to the fuse board, so would still cause an issue, as it did in my case.

The arc weld was absolutely tiny, but boy did it weld the terminals together 🤦🏼‍♂️

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Absolutely and that's standard practice, however the power will still run through the EHU and up to the fuse board, so would still cause an issue, as it did in my case.

The arc weld was absolutely tiny, but boy did it weld the terminals together 🤦🏼‍♂️
If everything is switched off, as it possibly should be, all plugged in and then switch on the fuse board there should be NO current draw

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just fitted a new cab battery the original did pretty well at 7 years it wasn't terrible but just starting to get a bit slow on cranking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back