What do you use for crimping? (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I'll be attempting to wire up some new electrical apparatus shortly and wondering what people use to crimp their cable.

Some videos suggest the hydraulic tools are best but they are expensive so would have to find someone willing to lend me a shot.

I quite like the V-block where you hit it with a hammer but, again, quite expensive and maybe not practical to use in confined spaces.

What do you use?

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
I'll be attempting to wire up some new electrical apparatus shortly and wondering what people use to crimp their cable.

Some videos suggest the hydraulic tools are best but they are expensive so would have to find someone willing to lend me a shot.

I quite like the V-block where you hit it with a hammer but, again, quite expensive and maybe not practical to use in confined spaces.

What do you use?
What size cabling are you doing?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Really depends on the gauge of the cable you're looking to crimp. Lightweight, hand crimpers are fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve got this set

But if you’re talking about battery leads you would need something stronger
Something like this

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Well I'm guessing I'll be needing a few different gauge cables.

Basically I am thinking....

Solar down > MPPT > twin 90ah batteries + shunt

The current batteries are linked already but no idea what size cable is currently used.

Would it be 25mm2? Would I need hydraulic crimpers to fix that?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I did the MC4 joints with the set I bought but not battery cable size

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
<Broken link removed>

I use something like this for 20/25mm cable

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Crimps.jpg
Crimps.jpg

Try again!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
In the motorhome, especially when adapting your existing wiring, you can be in some fairly cramped spaces. Have you got room to swing the hammer for one of those V block things (and is there something robust to batter the block against without the motorhome falling apart). Will you have room for the lengthy arms of the ratchet tools?

It may only get used once, but the hydraulic sets do work well and generally come with a range of die sizes to suit your different cable needs. Having bodged it fairly unsuccessfully first time round when I tried to fit a shunt on my systems I bit the bullet and did it properly with the hydraulic thing. I can always now flog the tool on ebay, but for the £30ish I paid it's hardly worth it. Getting the crimp terminals of certain size was more of a challenge as getting the proper tool.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I use a hit with hammer type. It works great as long as you have room and a solid base for it.

It destroys light crimps though, does work great for 10mm2 and up though.

I did have a set of plier type hand crimpers, they were only cheap and never got a good joint.

Lenny HB would call me a heathen but I now just use Irwin vice grips and they always seem to give a secure crimp. The key is to crimp across the fitting and not with it when using pliers. 😂

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I use both crimping pliers (like bolt croppers) and hydraulic crimper for the biggest cables 25mm and up

Happy to lend you the pliers if you cover post to you and back, but you could buy a pair for not a lot more
<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I use both crimping pliers (like bolt croppers) and hydraulic crimper for the biggest cables 25mm and up

Happy to lend you the pliers if you cover post to you and back, but you could buy a pair for not a lot more
<Broken link removed>
Thanks for the offer Big1 (y)

The guy next door to my work is a sparky and he owes me a favour after I bent him a galvanised gutter to fit to one of his generators so I am going to try him when I am back up the road.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I've heard of people who crimp pie edges with false teeth, or is that statement false.
When recently crimping to fit new electrics my old, cheap crimping tool didn't fit so I used it for a first gentle frimp and finished the job with pliers. Easy peasy but the correct tool would have been preferred.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
In an emergency, a set of mole grips are far better than linesman's pliers, because they can compress the joint over a larger area. A properly crimped joint in effect cold welds the copper and crimp fitting into one solid piece

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
I bought one of the eBay hydraulic crimpers some time ago when I was adding a bow thruster to the boat. 70mm2 cable was easy to do. More recently I added a B2B charger on the motorhome and it made light work of it. For less than £30, it was money well spent.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
^^

Not something I probably use again so I think I'll try and borrow something.
Try hire companies.....you'll be surprised what they hire.
The electric installation company I worked for would hire hydraulic crimpers by the day rather than buy for the amount of time they were needed

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Saw post title... ran upstairs to check out Mrs Poppycamper's beauty salon which works a treat cause she always looks ever so luverly ( creep creep... hunners o browny points ... feck did I really say that?? ) to see what sort of crimpers she uses, took a note of model no.
And came back down to read post... come on you know nothing/everything Funsters... what the feck does wire size/cable dimensions have to do with HAIR???
Crimpers r us @ confused.com.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
On a serious note I too, last week did same but because my pal who I normally borrow his crimpers had big job on I bought some of ebay.. plier type 6mm to 50mm £12.00.
Did job.. seem well made.. only critism is they had short handles so I had to see knees to close.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Buy a hydraulic crimper 4-70mm on eBay get the job done properly, then sell it on, stick it on the classifieds. Any cable above 6mm you will struggle to get a good connection without hydraulic pressure. Pointless in spending money in good size cables, and have poor terminations,

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Buy a hydraulic crimper 4-70mm on eBay get the job done properly, then sell it on, stick it on the classifieds. Any cable above 6mm you will struggle to get a good connection without hydraulic pressure. Pointless in spending money in good size cables, and have poor terminations,
Sorry Raul I disagree.
Yes you will be struggling to crimp 70mm in a hand crimp, unless you are Goliath.. HOWEVER if you manage to do it will be no less crimped than using a hydraulic one... after all once jaws are shut they are shut and they won't shut any more because it is hydraulic.
However smaller cables will be much easier to crimp by hand .. but again once jaws are shut, they are shut and hydraulic won't make any better a crimp joint.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not having any fancy crimping tools whist doing breakdown work I used my mole grips mostly on Ford starter motor cables.
When I re-wired my battery cables in the motorhome I did the same thing and ran solder into the terminals finishing off with heat shrink. I have been told it was excessive but there’s no way those cables will have poor connections or come loose.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back