What do you do with your spare keys? (1 Viewer)

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
So you've parked up on site, be it field, aire or campsite for the day/night and you decide to walk into town. Do you always take your spare keys with you as well as the main set, or do you leave them in the van? Suppose you lose your main set while you're out then if your spares are in the van what do you do, other than break in?

The reason I ask is that typically, through laziness or negligence (you decide) we do take only the main set with us and do leave the spares in the van, which I admit seems a bit stupid.

So I've been thinking about getting a keysafe fitted to a discreet external part of the van, into which I can store the spares, like under the gas locker. Does this sound reasonable? Anyone done something similar or had a better idea.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I travel quite a lot on my own when we travel together we have both sets when I am on my own the equivalent of your home plant pot works for me.(y)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
We brought my son a first car VW polo 6 months early whilst my first van had its engine replaced.

Due to covid in the Jose we didn't need it for several weeks just before his birthday then on the eve of his birthday .....where is the single key.....nooooo 48hrs of searching they were found in th glove box of my Mrs car!

Opps who knows how they got there!!!

Cheers James

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
So you've parked up on site, be it field, aire or campsite for the day/night and you decide to walk into town. Do you always take your spare keys with you as well as the main set, or do you leave them in the van? Suppose you lose your main set while you're out then if your spares are in the van what do you do, other than break in?

The reason I ask is that typically, through laziness or negligence (you decide) we do take only the main set with us and do leave the spares in the van, which I admit seems a bit stupid.

So I've been thinking about getting a keysafe fitted to a discreet external part of the van, into which I can store the spares, like under the gas locker. Does this sound reasonable? Anyone done something similar or had a better idea.
Surfers have key safes they combination padlock to thier vans just a thought!

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Our spare cab key is hidden on the exterior of the van. The rest of the spare keys are hidden in the interior of the van.
I lost my van keys many years ago and on returning to the campsite, I had to climb on the roof and rip open a skylight and drop through it, removing substantial amounts of skin in the process (I was on the wrong side of several pints of Proper Job), I vowed I'd never have to do it again.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
When a few of us go on holiday together (each in our own van) we each give our spare set to one of the others. Hopefully this ensures if I loose my keys my mate can at least sort me out with my spare!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A common question and you'll find chapter and verse if you put' Spare keys' in the 'Search' function (top right) with which you may not be aware.
Here's just one of the threads.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We take a set each but I don't like to have bulky bunches of keys to carry so its just the ignition key and hab key although I have made a concession in that they are joined together with a highly desirable 'Funster' keyring!

Funster key ring.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I carry 2 sets when out and about. When on site, the set with the remote goes in the safe and the plain key with locker key in my pocket. If I lose the keys on me, I know where a spare door key is, but will set the alarm off. Once in, I collect the hidden safe key and get out the main set to silence the alarm

Always plan ahead for "when" not if, as some vans have been known to spontaneously lock as a door slams shut

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Never ever gone out of the home with two sets of keys for a vehicle šŸ¤”
Not even if out with mrskevenh or in the Motorhome.
With car keys that have an immobiliser function built in, the spare set becomes the main set when the main setā€™s battery needs changing.
Then, with a new battery, the old main set becomes the spare. šŸ¤Ŗ

If weā€™re out locally and beer is involved we may each have a house door key so we can get home at different times - and other scenarios were we may go home at different times.
Anyway, gone off topic.
No spare Motorhome key to rescue us šŸ‘€

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We have 2 sets of keys.. one stays in the safe inside the moho and the other is normally in my pocket or SWMBO's handbag. We also have one hab door key in a key safe bolted somewhere under the van. I only hope when and if I ever need that key I can remember where I bolted it and also the number to get into it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back