What do you do with your spare keys? (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Spare ignition key hidden inside somewhere (buried)
And spare hab door key stashed under the van..bit of grease smeared on it and then wrapped in cling film.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
bit of an issue if you are in Calabria and there is nobody back home, might take a week to get to you even if there was somebody to post them.

South of France or further afield? We always take our spare keys, whether the car, motorcycles or van, when going away.

We feel more comfortable that way. (y)
Will just get in-laws, or other family to go to house and express post them. Whilst I go to a hotel for a night.

Another question is how many people have lost their keys? I’ve never have

And let’s be honest. If you had to, they are not hard to get into. Just wouldn’t be able to drive it, and the have to fix window/roof vent.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My keys and his keys for us. Last one out locks, first one back unlocks. We often go out separately, couldn’t be bothered with keep having to make arrangements about who takes the keys, who is going to be back first etc. Same with car, always go out with one each.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Will just get in-laws, or other family to go to house and express post them. Whilst I go to a hotel for a night.

And let’s be honest. If you had to, they are not hard to get into. Just wouldn’t be able to drive it, and the have to fix window/roof vent.
your clearly not over 65 then!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had assumed you could put it on 'stealth' mode - not sure but I will find out?
There is no stealth mode. So they cannot be used to track persons without their knowledge. if moved without the phone they are paired with they complain loudly for about 20 seconds.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The air tag would beep everytime it moved, it would soon be found.

They only start beeping after they have been out of range of the device the airtag is paired with for 8-24 hours, so I suppose it's how long before you realise your MH has gone walkabout.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Happened to me only once a long long time ago , but I still remember the hassle , since then always carry a spare set in wallet taped up , no problem

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They only start beeping after they have been out of range of the device the airtag is paired with for 8-24 hours, so I suppose it's how long before you realise your MH has gone walkabout.

Whenever I take my keys out of the key press, if I dont have my phone on me they beep blue murder. Its pretty annoying

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I attach an apple air tag to each of my key sets which came in handy last week when we went away for a night as i couldn't find the 2nd set I had taken with us but according to my iphone it was in the MH. Once i knew that it was a question of where did i put it :)
I used to use the Tile tags but they are useless now that apple have released the airtags. They wont be for everyone but they have already worked for us.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Always best to have all bases covered especially if you are travelling to remote areas
I have. Keys left at home, someone who can send them, and the ability to gain access should it be required. I think there is more chance of having a handbag stolen (with keys in it) than me loosing keys.

Remote ares? Where are you going. I’ve done loads of Europe, and across to North Africa, and doubt I couldn’t get anything to me within a 2-3 days. Especially as most of our time is just mainland Europe.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I attach an apple air tag to each of my key sets which came in handy last week when we went away for a night as i couldn't find the 2nd set I had taken with us but according to my iphone it was in the MH. Once i knew that it was a question of where did i put it :)
I used to use the Tile tags but they are useless now that apple have released the airtags. They wont be for everyone but they have already worked for us.
Yes I have 6 of them and for me and the use I give them, they are worth every penny. They just need to make them small enough for my reading glasses. ;)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Here is an article I wrote about Motorhome Key Security. I‘ve made a note to update it and mention airtags.

<Broken link removed>

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Three full sets of moho, trailer, clamps and padlock keys. Everything is triplicated.
I carry one set. Mrs DDJC carries the other and the third is usually left at home, except on a big trip.

Incidentally, shout out to: https://www.fastkeys.co.uk/ . Never failed to get me a key cut for the bus and trailer, including tubular keys for wheel clamps and the electric bed. Very quick and cheaper than Timpsons.

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
I don’t see anybody mentioning their set of keys for home and what they do with them.

We have a set of keys each for Motorhome, and a set of keys each for home/car etc. We never leave any of these in the MH when we go out in case MH gets stolen. We think having all keys on us is safest way, (although bulky), and don’t get why anybody leaves a set of keys at home when they could be hundreds of miles from home.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Yes I have 6 of them and for me and the use I give them, they are worth every penny. They just need to make them small enough for my reading glasses. ;)
you are correct - straight from apple about not being appropriate for stealth tracking a stolen ebike/motorhome. Not that I didn't think you were correct soothsayer.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 09.04.16.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 09.04.16.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 26
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So you've parked up on site, be it field, aire or campsite for the day/night and you decide to walk into town. Do you always take your spare keys with you as well as the main set, or do you leave them in the van? Suppose you lose your main set while you're out then if your spares are in the van what do you do, other than break in?

The reason I ask is that typically, through laziness or negligence (you decide) we do take only the main set with us and do leave the spares in the van, which I admit seems a bit stupid.

So I've been thinking about getting a keysafe fitted to a discreet external part of the van, into which I can store the spares, like under the gas locker. Does this sound reasonable? Anyone done something similar or had a better idea.
All you would need is one jab key to be used if you lose the others then you can hide one full set in the van. I've thought about it several times but never got around to it a friend has made a hiding place that looks like part of the chassis.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
It all becomes a lot more difficult when you are a solo motorhomer. I am less worried about the van being stolen complete with keys, than I am about losing keys while I’m out and about. I do keep them in a zipped pocket in my bag but what if that should go missing? Best I’ve come up with so far is to memorise the alarm code and keep the spares hidden in the van. (I have to hope someone would be able to break in!) I do like the Airtag idea for finding the keys, going to get one for the dog too!

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I believe ours insurance policy states that a set keys cannot be left in the vehicle otherwise...
With 2 of us a set each is easy. Plus if one of you lose a set of keys at least you can still get access to the vehicle.
As a retired broker I can confirm Panda's comments, leaving keys with the vehicle, even if hidden in a safe, would invalidate your policy for theft.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
It all becomes a lot more difficult when you are a solo motorhomer. I am less worried about the van being stolen complete with keys, than I am about losing keys while I’m out and about. I do keep them in a zipped pocket in my bag but what if that should go missing? Best I’ve come up with so far is to memorise the alarm code and keep the spares hidden in the van. (I have to hope someone would be able to break in!) I do like the Airtag idea for finding the keys, going to get one for the dog too!
put a spare set of keys within the dog collar

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Each of us carry a set.

(Then if one of us falls off a cliff………………🤔)

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Remember before transponders when you bought secondhand and a vehicle came with only one key. 🤷‍♂️
Spare keys stay at home, I can get in the van through the heki in about ten minutes as the hinge pins are exterior....I know the alarm code and spare set would be with me asap.
I see it no different to a failure/breakdown, if your vehicle cant move or you cant get in for whatever reason then you just deal with it 👍

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

My Growler alarm wouldn’t like me breaking into it…….it’s loud. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back