What do you do with your spare keys? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have 2 sets of keys.. one stays in the safe inside the moho and the other is normally in my pocket or SWMBO's handbag. We also have one hab door key in a key safe bolted somewhere under the van. I only hope when and if I ever need that key I can remember where I bolted it and also the number to get into it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)
Sounds like you've got a Krypton Factor challenge tomorrow! šŸ˜„

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
I just carry the plipper thingy.. you know what I mean..the thingy that you point and press to unlock cab doors, at least we would then have accommodation.
Other half carries the full set!

We used to hide the remaining keys somewhere inside the van..but now leave the spares at home..we could always ask one of the kids to send them to us.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can someone tell me what the point of having a spare set of keys is if you leave them at home when you're out in the MH???? :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Ainā€™t no way Silver-Fox would find your van, unless you left some cider in itšŸ˜‰

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
So you've parked up on site, be it field, aire or campsite for the day/night and you decide to walk into town. Do you always take your spare keys with you as well as the main set, or do you leave them in the van? Suppose you lose your main set while you're out then if your spares are in the van what do you do, other than break in?

The reason I ask is that typically, through laziness or negligence (you decide) we do take only the main set with us and do leave the spares in the van, which I admit seems a bit stupid.

So I've been thinking about getting a keysafe fitted to a discreet external part of the van, into which I can store the spares, like under the gas locker. Does this sound reasonable? Anyone done something similar or had a better idea.
I believe ours insurance policy states that a set keys cannot be left in the vehicle otherwise...
With 2 of us a set each is easy. Plus if one of you lose a set of keys at least you can still get access to the vehicle.

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

I wouldnā€™t be looking for it but some low life might be šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We keep a 3rd set of keys squirreled away and wanted to check that the remote battery still had life in it, had a bit of a think
and remember where they were, but then had to figure out how I got them to where they are. :ROFLMAO:
this might help

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
this might help

The gray matter eventually comes good for locating the spare keys, but I have secreted Airtags on our E-bikes in case they get pinched.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The gray matter eventually comes good for locating the spare keys, but I have secreted Airtags on our E-bikes in case they get pinched.
what about an airtag in the motorhome? We have a tracker thing but this would be something that was possibly more immediate. Does the airtag work remotely from an iPhone ie a bit like 'find me' on the phone?

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Never ever gone out of the home with two sets of keys for a vehicle šŸ¤”
Not even if out with mrskevenh or in the Motorhome.
With car keys that have an immobiliser function built in, the spare set becomes the main set when the main setā€™s battery needs changing.
Then, with a new battery, the old main set becomes the spare. šŸ¤Ŗ

If weā€™re out locally and beer is involved we may each have a house door key so we can get home at different times - and other scenarios were we may go home at different times.
Anyway, gone off topic.
No spare Motorhome key to rescue us šŸ‘€

If youā€™re a long way from home and you lose or maybe snap a key, it can turn into an expensive and inconvenient problem. (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So you've parked up on site, be it field, aire or campsite for the day/night and you decide to walk into town. Do you always take your spare keys with you as well as the main set, or do you leave them in the van? Suppose you lose your main set while you're out then if your spares are in the van what do you do, other than break in?

The reason I ask is that typically, through laziness or negligence (you decide) we do take only the main set with us and do leave the spares in the van, which I admit seems a bit stupid.

So I've been thinking about getting a keysafe fitted to a discreet external part of the van, into which I can store the spares, like under the gas locker. Does this sound reasonable? Anyone done something similar or had a better idea.
If your van is stollen you will be asked for the spare keys when making a claim. They probably wont pay out when you tell them you turned the van into a sardine can and left the spares accessible ! Or in the best case scenario it will give the insurance company wriggle room to pay out less.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our spare ignition key is in the safe. When we are in one place for a length of time the other one is hidden away.
We both have a set of keys but mine doesnā€™t include an ignition key.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
this might help
I was sceptical at first but now have tile attached to my keys but will be swapping to air tag

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I was going to fit a combination key safe hidden under the van.

My wife said ā€˜whatā€™s wrong with my bagā€™? Good point, as sheā€™s safer than having a Security Guard with me. :giggle:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I'm sure I would not be informing my insurance company that I had a spare set of keys hidden externally on the van if it got stolen.
If you cannot produce the spares itā€™s an issue, so whether you tell them or not it has a high probability of reducing your claim to zero in the event of theft. Donā€™t give the insurance companies any excuse. Nearly two years ago I went through the claims process they queried why I had 3 keys when the vehicle normally has two so when did I have the 3rd one cut and did I have any others done at the same time. I explained that is what came with the vehicle.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If you cannot produce the spares itā€™s an issue, so whether you tell them or not it has a high probability of reducing your claim to zero in the event of theft. Donā€™t give the insurance companies any excuse. Nearly two years ago I went through the claims process they queried why I had 3 keys when the vehicle normally has two so when did I have the 3rd one cut and did I have any others done at the same time. I explained that is what came with the vehicle.

Which is one of the reasons that we have 3 sets of keys as per my earlier post in this thread where I said our 3rd set of keys. (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
what about an airtag in the motorhome? We have a tracker thing but this would be something that was possibly more immediate. Does the airtag work remotely from an iPhone ie a bit like 'find me' on the phone?

The air tag would beep everytime it moved, it would soon be found.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back