Vet in Bruges happy to issue EU Pet Passport to Brits (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
This has just been posted on the AHC Facebook group by the vet himself:

D619F0D8-EE65-40FF-8B53-0905B291C6AA.png

And a bit further down he has clarified that EU residency is not needed:

5C0E382C-6BE5-45EE-99B9-53C22C5B4CB2.jpeg

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I’m hoping the vet answers the part about how long the vaccine lasts. If so we will factor into our next visit over the channel.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I’m hoping the vet answers the part about how long the vaccine lasts. If so we will factor into our next visit over the channel.
If you visit the Facebook page, you will see that he has already answered that it is a 3-year rabies vaccine.

There is also now some vitriolic eejit called Sarah Morgan posting replies claiming what he is doing is illegal. :RollEyes: It doesn’t take them long to crawl out of the woodwork on Facebook - which is why I don’t bother posting anything on there anymore.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I guess the issue is that it's not illegal, but it is a loophole that wasn't intended.

But the loophole means British pets will comply with EU regulations without needing the UK government to agree to anything. So the EU might see it as in their interest to leave it open.

I intend to try it with our two cats so we can travel with them next year.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I guess the issue is that it's not illegal, but it is a loophole that wasn't intended.

But the loophole means British pets will comply with EU regulations without needing the UK government to agree to anything. So the EU might see it as in their interest to leave it open.

I intend to try it with our two cats so we can travel with them next year.
It is definitely not illegal but nor is it a loophole. There has never been any EU-wide requirement for residency in order to acquire a Pet Passport. All an EU Pet Passport does is certify that the animal in question has complied with EU rabies requirements. Before all this Br*x*t nonsense Americans, Canadians etc had been obtaining and using EU Pet Passports for years.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It is definitely not illegal but nor is it a loophole. There has never been any EU-wide requirement for residency in order to acquire a Pet Passport. All an EU Pet Passport does is certify that the animal in question has complied with EU rabies requirements. Before all this Br*x*t nonsense Americans, Canadians etc had been obtaining and using EU Pet Passports for years.
Yes ^^^^^^ Totally agree.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If you read the regulation, it definitely implies residency. It talks about citizens being able to move pets around. It explicitly talks about pets from non-member states as being able to travel with separate approved certification. It doesn't say vets are free to issue to foreigners' pets. It smells like it's an unintended loophole to me.

But either way, if it's been open like this for a while, it sounds like it'll remain.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If you read the regulation, it definitely implies residency. It talks about citizens being able to move pets around. It explicitly talks about pets from non-member states as being able to travel with separate approved certification. It doesn't say vets are free to issue to foreigners' pets. It smells like it's an unintended loophole to me.

But either way, if it's been open like this for a while, it sounds like it'll remain.
The only relevant legislation is EU Regulation 576/2013, which I have read many times. There is no mention of residency. In particular, Article 27 of that regulation permits entry into the EU from a third country with an EU-issued Pet Passport. I explained all of this at some length in the following thread:

Why you do not need to be an EU resident to obtain an EU Pet Passport

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
She sounds very angry … perhaps she feels as if she is entitled to something others are not … and doesn’t wish them to have that advantage too?
There are a fair few of them on Facebook - I refer to them as ‘drawbridge expats’.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
What's the actual Facebook group? Let's all join and call her out for the miserable person she is. I think it's called a 'pile on' ?
PS I may have had a few Aperols so maybe not the best advice, but it sounds good to me😳

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
One thing that’s makes residency totally irellavent is the ability to adopt a dog from abroad. We are currently fostering a dog from Cyprus who has an EU passport Which came over to us with the name of owner section blank. Tam, Northernraider has three dogs all adopted from the EU. So residency has never been a factor. We have just got our two passports from Belgium and all she wanted was me to fill out our uk address in front of her.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
What's the actual Facebook group? Let's all join and call her out for the miserable person she is. I think it's called a 'pile on' ?
PS I may have had a few Aperols so maybe not the best advice, but it sounds good to me😳
Not that I want to incite a riot, but the group is just called Animal Health Certificate. There are a fair few rabid (pun intended) drawbridge expats on there, mostly in France. Have to admit that I had not noticed the name Sarah Morgan before, but perhaps she is based in Belgium? I only keep a watching brief on the group in order to pick up the details of French vets who have recently issued Pet Passports to Brits ( I keep a list of them to try and help other Funsters).

There is another very similar group called Animal Health Certificate U.K. They actually forbid any mention of obtaining EU Pet Passports. This group is a breakaway one from the original Animal Health Certificate group, and was set up by one Bruce Dowding who couldn’t bear for anyone to disagree with his incorrect interpretations of EU law.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
One thing that’s makes residency totally irellavent is the ability to adopt a dog from abroad. We are currently fostering a dog from Cyprus who has an EU passport Which came over to us with the name of owner section blank. Tam, Northernraider has three dogs all adopted from the EU. So residency has never been a factor. We have just got our two passports from Belgium and all she wanted was me to fill out our uk address in front of her.
Aye and let's hope it stays that way or many stray animals will likely not find homes. I can honestly say if I had to fork out over 100 quid per dog every time I went to Europe I'd have probably not had them . Can't afford that nonsense

Jul 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elldis Autoquest
Once given how long do you have to stay before you can return to the UK thanks 😊

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Once given how long do you have to stay before you can return to the UK thanks 😊
There is no time period. We had ours issued when we went out then returned to the uk after staying for 29 days.

Jun 7, 2019
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Talisman
Exp
Since 2018
Good morning can I ask once the rabies vaccine has been given how long after it can we travel back to the Uk julesac85 is my sister and we’re looking to go and get her 2 doggies passports but due to work commitments wouldn’t be able to stay for more than a week if we got them this year. Couldn’t we used the AHC certificate to return with rather than the passport as with having the rabies vaccine done here in the Uk before travel know they would be safe to travel but how would this work with recording the worm treatment for coming home sorry for the long message just trying to get as much information as possible before we book vets and the euro tunnel so any information is very much appreciated 🥰
One thing that’s makes residency totally irellavent is the ability to adopt a dog from abroad. We are currently fostering a dog from Cyprus who has an EU passport Which came over to us with the name of owner section blank. Tam, Northernraider has three dogs all adopted from the EU. So residency has never been a factor. We have just got our two passports from Belgium and all she wanted was me to fill out our uk address in front of her

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Good morning can I ask once the rabies vaccine has been given how long after it can we travel back to the Uk julesac85 is my sister and we’re looking to go and get her 2 doggies passports but due to work commitments wouldn’t be able to stay for more than a week if we got them this year. Couldn’t we used the AHC certificate to return with rather than the passport as with having the rabies vaccine done here in the Uk before travel know they would be safe to travel but how would this work with recording the worm treatment for coming home sorry for the long message just trying to get as much information as possible before we book vets and the euro tunnel so any information is very much appreciated 🥰
21 days for a PP with a new rabies vaccine, unless a previous rabies vaccine which was still in date was transferred to the PP. So wait 3 weeks or use the AHC to get back home.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As with most things concerning EU Pet Passports since Br*x*t, the answer to your question is not straightforward. If your dogs already have in-date rabies vaccinations (which they will require to get into the EU in the first place) then there should be no time delay at all after receiving a booster. However, this will depend on what the EU vet has written as the ‘valid from’ date in the Pet Passport. Some will insist that, as it is the first rabies vaccination in a new Pet Passport, you must wait 21 days before using it.

If your sister’s dogs will have existing rabies vaccinations still in date when you plan to travel, then I would use those for completion of the AHC and wait until you are in the EU to obtain boosters at the same time as the Pet Passports are issued. This will simplify things as not all vets will transfer over existing rabies vaccination details into EU Pet Passports. It will also lessen the chance of issues arising with ‘date microchip read/implanted’. If the dogs will need a rabies booster in the UK before travel, then you may find an EU vet that will transfer over the details but this has to be done properly. There have been many instances where this has caused problems because the vet has just written something like ‘see UK Pet Passport’.

As you will have an AHC anyway, I would suggest getting the worming treatment completed on that for your return to the UK. I would also suggest reading as many threads as possible on the subject of EU Pet Passports and AHCs here on Fun, as there is much useful information and experience to be gained from them.

Jun 7, 2019
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Talisman
Exp
Since 2018
As with most things concerning EU Pet Passports since Br*x*t, the answer to your question is not straightforward. If your dogs already have in-date rabies vaccinations (which they will require to get into the EU in the first place) then there should be no time delay at all after receiving a booster. However, this will depend on what the EU vet has written as the ‘valid from’ date in the Pet Passport. Some will insist that, as it is the first rabies vaccination in a new Pet Passport, you must wait 21 days before using it.

If your sister’s dogs will have existing rabies vaccinations still in date when you plan to travel, then I would use those for completion of the AHC and wait until you are in the EU to obtain boosters at the same time as the Pet Passports are issued. This will simplify things as not all vets will transfer over existing rabies vaccination details into EU Pet Passports. It will also lessen the chance of issues arising with ‘date microchip read/implanted’. If the dogs will need a rabies booster in the UK before travel, then you may find an EU vet that will transfer over the details but this has to be done properly. There have been many instances where this has caused problems because the vet has just written something like ‘see UK Pet Passport’.

As you will have an AHC anyway, I would suggest getting the worming treatment completed on that for your return to the UK. I would also suggest reading as many threads as possible on the subject of EU Pet Passports and AHCs here on Fun, as there is much useful information and experience to be gained from them.
Thanks for the reply’s we’re reading as many of the threads as we can find the Uk rabies will be done a month before travel but very much doubt they will transfer this onto the new passports and will give them another one which they will record on it when having the passports done.
My only concern is after obtaining the passports and then having the worming treatment recorded on the AHC and use that to return home the passports won’t show that they have had the worming treatments so would this cause any issues using the passports when wanting to come back into the eu Thankyou again for any info 🥰

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
My only concern is after obtaining the passports and then having the worming treatment recorded on the AHC and use that to return home the passports won’t show that they have had the worming treatments so would this cause any issues using the passports when wanting to come back into the eu Thankyou again for any info 🥰
This is a non issue. The EU (except Malta and Finland) are not interested in tapeworm treatments. If you were going to Malta, Finland (or Norway) you could get tapeworm treatment in the UK before departure. There does not need to be any continuity in tapeworm treatments.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks for the reply’s we’re reading as many of the threads as we can find the Uk rabies will be done a month before travel but very much doubt they will transfer this onto the new passports and will give them another one which they will record on it when having the passports done.
There have been a few Funsters who have had existing rabies vaccinations transferred successfully into new EU Pet Passports. Minxy comes to mind but hers were done in Portugal which is too far for the one week that you have to spend.

As Aireworth says, there is no issue with the tapeworm treatment. If you wanted you could ask the vet to enter the worming details on both the AHC and the new Pet Passport. If this is done, you could proffer the new Pet Passport at Pet Reception on your return, showing the AHC to prove continuity of rabies vaccination. This can be a useful way of checking that the Pet Passports have been issued correctly, although it will use up a worming space unnecessarily which can become a future issue if you travel regularly. On the subject of checking that the Pet Passports have been issued correctly, I recommend reading through the relevant pages of the APHA booklet ‘How to Complete Pet Passports’ so that you can check what the vet has done while you are still at their surgery. It is very easy for mistakes to be made with such things as microchip numbers or dates - so check everything that has been written.

Attachments

• How to Complete Pet Passports.pdf
    679.2 KB · Views: 40
Jun 7, 2019
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Talisman
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks again for your reply’s youv both been most helpful we intend to use this particular vets so I can assume that
if the vet will record the worming on both the AHC and passports then can produce passports with the AHC to validate the previous rabies vaccination and this will also check that the passport has been correctly completed but if the vet only records it on the AHC then just this will be used to return home and not having the treatment for this trip recorded in passports will not be an issue when coming back to France/spain at a later date. Another question we got our 3 doggies passports in spain at beginning of February this year and for return home the worming was done in March do you have to have them rewormed for every trip or is this renewed yearly like our rabies vaccinations for them. Thanks again🥰

Jun 7, 2019
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Talisman
Exp
Since 2018
This is a non issue. The EU (except Malta and Finland) are not interested in tapeworm treatments. If you were going to Malta, Finland (or Norway) you could get tapeworm treatment in the UK before departure. There does not need to be any continuity in tapeworm treatments.
Thankyou👍Just intend at a later date in the future to take them to France/Spain but wanted to sort passports as soon as for her🥰

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Another question we got our 3 doggies passports in spain at beginning of February this year and for return home the worming was done in March do you have to have them rewormed for every trip or is this renewed yearly like our rabies vaccinations for them. Thanks again🥰
The worming treatment has to be done each time that you return to the UK - between 1 and 5 days before return. The vet mentioned at the start of this thread administers 3-year rabies vaccinations.

Jun 7, 2019
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Talisman
Exp
Since 2018
21 days for a PP with a new rabies vaccine, unless a previous rabies vaccine which was still in date was transferred to the PP. So wait 3 weeks or use the AHC to get back home.
Thankyou👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back