Unregistered Campervan (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Deposit is to be expected but to pay upfront before registration is taken the mick.Tell them you will pay on handover and after registration.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Have done, they won’t budge and just say I cant have vehicle any other way

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Looks like you will need to find another dealer.What area are you in as some members here may be able to suggest other dealers who they could recommend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We paid an initial £500 to confirm our order. Once the dealer had confirmation from the builders that the order had been accepted, another £3500.

Balance on collection once we were happy with the handover. By that time, the vehicle was registered and ready to go.

Balance paid using my debit card, having warned my bank about the impending purchase. Job Done. (y)

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
I’m near Newcastle upon Tyne. Leisuregroup / catterick caravans are the one wanted full payment up front. Tyne valley motorhomes only do their own special edition which is £5k too much for me.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I can vouch for Springfield Motorhomes in Bridlington which is where I would be buying a second one from them if they hadn't stopped selling new auto trails

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No way would I give a 5k deposit had 3 new Hymers only ever put down 1k.
A deposit must be an amout you are prepared to lose.
Also never pay the balance before collection, a friend had a dealer go bust when he paid a few days before collection and he lost his money.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I’m near Newcastle upon Tyne. Leisuregroup / catterick caravans are the one wanted full payment up front. Tyne valley motorhomes only do their own special edition which is £5k too much for me.
Speak to Tyne and tell them you will have it for 5k less, worth a try, play hard if they say no just say goodbye

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fallais not sure if this is any good, it's 'used' but has extras and is a special edition ... no problem with registering it in your name as it's just a simple change.

Broken Link Removed

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Haha, it’s me again.
The new place I’m getting my cv 40 from has sent terms and conditions plus order through email for me. They are saying they want £5k deposit which is fine , but then full payment before they will send registration away. This leaves me £45k exposed and hoping they don’t go bust or that there is no snags with vehicle registration process.
i Don’t think I’ll be going ahead with that one either.
Good god, how difficult is it to buy a new motorhome in this country
You just need to find the right dealer. When we bought from the dealer's new stock we put down a £2000 deposit. They then arranged to get the bits I wanted done and also register it. 3 weeks later we turned up on the day and it was already registered and after we had done a close inspection we paid the remainder.

Have you thought of buying second hand? At least it will already be registered. Although we all think that we know the layout we want when we start out, the view of many seasoned users is that you do not get the layout you really need until the third motorhome, so buying second hand to start with will save money on the depreciation.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Id return it ...chill and have a coffee and then go looking for a 2 or 3 year old higher quality van with all ite niggles etc sorted .

Then enjoy hassle free relaxed motorhoming without a the aggro that new motorhomes seem to have.

Reading the issues folk on here have had with new vehicles , dealers, faults z warranties and down right incompetence I'd never in my life buy a new motorhome

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
But when you get older and can afford it, it is nice to buy new. I would never buy a second hand Motorhome.
Why Lenny? Although I have done, I try to avoid buying new vehicles. Never forget I once negotiated the right to buy a used company car. I ended up with a very low mileage Sierra V6 Ghia Estate, a superb car, for the price of a new bog standard one.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
But when you get older and can afford it, it is nice to buy new. I would never buy a second hand Motorhome.
There’s nothing quite like a new bed!
Although I have had second hand in the past the thought now of basically buying a second hand bed 😬

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't mind used cars but not Motorhomes, I've found depreciation on new Motorhomes so low that I would have lost more buying second hand.
It depends what you define as second hand ... we've had one that was 3 months old, the original owner used it for 1 night and then changed, it had 1000 miles on it only because he'd used it as a run-around until he changed it for another one after his first night's use due to the rear bed not being suitable for his elderly Mum to get in and out of.

We've had a few ex-demo ones which although not registered they were 'used' in the sense that they had had people going in out and looking at them (our current Carthago was one).

It wouldn't put me off getting a second-hand one in the future so long as it was pretty new and had no issues.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Haha, it’s me again.
The new place I’m getting my cv 40 from has sent terms and conditions plus order through email for me. They are saying they want £5k deposit which is fine , but then full payment before they will send registration away. This leaves me £45k exposed and hoping they don’t go bust or that there is no snags with vehicle registration process.
i Don’t think I’ll be going ahead with that one either.
Good god, how difficult is it to buy a new motorhome in this country
Bloomin heck. I wouldn't do that. I'm just about to pick up our me MH. It's 60k worth but we only paid £1000 deposit. Other 59 due the day we pick it up.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Bloomin heck. I wouldn't do that. I'm just about to pick up our me MH. It's 60k worth but we only paid £1000 deposit. Other 59 due the day we pick it up.
I told the dealer (Catterick caravans) to do one and took my business elsewhere. Put £1000 deposit down with the new dealer and paid the balance the day before delivery and after being in receipt of V5. The dealer delivered vehicle to my house, excellent service. Am now happily ensconced in my new CV40 .

chasper

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
This happened to me in 2017 i bought a new van, i was assured that i was legal to drive, the dealer had done it online and i would get the documents within a couple of weeks, which i did. When i examined the registration certificate the dealer had made a mistake, the registration plates on the van were one digit different to what he had registered on the paperwork. I was advised by DVLA that i should not drive it until i received the corrected documents, it took 3 weeks i think. So i could have been picked up by the ANPR cameras on the M5 when i drove it from Bristol to my home, as it happened i wasn't.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
This happened to me in 2017 i bought a new van, i was assured that i was legal to drive, the dealer had done it online and i would get the documents within a couple of weeks, which i did. When i examined the registration certificate the dealer had made a mistake, the registration plates on the van were one digit different to what he had registered on the paperwork. I was advised by DVLA that i should not drive it until i received the corrected documents, it took 3 weeks i think. So i could have been picked up by the ANPR cameras on the M5 when i drove it from Bristol to my home, as it happened i wasn't.
if you had the wrong reg number on your pl;ates the anpr would send the fines to someone else

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I've bought a new Van and a motorbike recently. Neither exist according to DVLA. I just assume its the DVLA taking time to process the registration. Not gonna let it bother me.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I've bought a new Van and a motorbike recently. Neither exist according to DVLA. I just assume its the DVLA taking time to process the registration. Not gonna let it bother me.
The DVLA have been turning work round reasonably quickly recently. If a vehicle does not appear on their database it is illegal to drive it. Many years ago there was a 2 week period of grace but that has long since stopped, sadly some dealers seem to be badly ill informed.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
The DVLA have been turning work round reasonably quickly recently. If a vehicle does not appear on their database it is illegal to drive it. Many years ago there was a 2 week period of grace but that has long since stopped, sadly some dealers seem to be badly ill informed.

I am not sure is is as cut and dried as that. Dealers get reg numbers pre issues to them but they often will not (sensibly) register them until the car is paid for and funds have cleared. If they didn't they might register a car and then the buyer backs out. Therefore if the dealer registers the car the day the customer pays and collects it clearly is not going to be on the DVLA database until they have done their admin.

Insurance companies seem happy to insure vehicles that don't appear on the database and they have access to it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am not sure is is as cut and dried as that. Dealers get reg numbers pre issues to them but they often will not (sensibly) register them until the car is paid for and funds have cleared. If they didn't they might register a car and then the buyer backs out. Therefore if the dealer registers the car the day the customer pays and collects it clearly is not going to be on the DVLA database until they have done their admin.

Insurance companies seem happy to insure vehicles that don't appear on the database and they have access to it.
Both times I have bought new motorhomes the dealers have sent the registration documents to the DVLA 2/3 weeks before handover and both times I was told that I could not drive until the registration showed on the DVLA website. Perfectly normal practice and just a business risk the dealer has to carry. The insurance has to be pre-arranged because the registration can not take place without it.

At #1 the op explains how he was pulled over for driving an unregistered campervan. He also explains the 14 day period of grace was done away with years ago. I think it is cut and dried, not registered not legal.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

Our Dealer didn’t have access to any registration numbers, as it appears not many MH dealers do. Ours had to be applied for by post, by the dealer, and we received the V5C. Once we got the document we emailed a copy to the dealer to get the plates made up and finalise the paperwork.

We didn’t pay the balance until the day of collection. (y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There may be some dealers that do not join in the DVLA block allocation of registration numbers, as a customer I would rather do without that hassle. Much easier to choose your number from the dealer‘s list and then arrange the insurance needed for registration

Apparently this is how the system works.
“When a scheduled DVLA registration release occurs, as happens twice a year, in May/June and November/December, members of the public and private registrations companies, are permitted to select and purchase new registration numbers. After this initial sale period, blocks of registrations are distributed to car dealers to be assigned to new cars in the usual way. Any registrations left over after that remain for sale on the DVLA website.”

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Our Dealer didn’t have access to any registration numbers, as it appears not many MH dealers do. Ours had to be applied for by post, by the dealer, and we received the V5C. Once we got the document we emailed a copy to the dealer to get the plates made up and finalise the paperwork.

We didn’t pay the balance until the day of collection. (y)

At the moment that whole process could take 6 weeks or more.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Both times I have bought new motorhomes the dealers have sent the registration documents to the DVLA 2/3 weeks before handover and both times I was told that I could not drive until the registration showed on the DVLA website. Perfectly normal practice and just a business risk the dealer has to carry. The insurance has to be pre-arranged because the registration can not take place without it.

At #1 the op explains how he was pulled over for driving an unregistered campervan. He also explains the 14 day period of grace was done away with years ago. I think it is cut and dried, not registered not legal.

Depends on whether details not appearing on DLVA reg check website = not registered or not.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Depends on whether details not appearing on DLVA reg check website = not registered or not.
If it is registered it should show on the DVLA database. When we were waiting for ours to come through we were told their database is updated twice every day, usually before 9am and again early afternoon.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
At the moment that whole process could take 6 weeks or more.
& as original post you can't drive it .It isn't registered
Not there it isn't registered

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back