Unregistered Campervan (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
What a thoroughly interesting, well balanced, sensible and polite, professional thread.
I fully enjoyed being enlightened by it and empathise with the op's original post, and am pleased that it was finally resolved.
I hope that he has many good times now enjoying his new van.
Good Luck Sir, you deserve it after all that kerfuffle.
šŸ˜Š

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Hi Guys, This is some information for UK people who have bought a new van and wondering about registration and the legal implication of driving your van whilst waiting for registration.
I have spoken to DVLA and as long as your dealer has sent the registration form off on a secure 551 form by recorded delivery then you are OK to drive your van even though it if not showing on the DVLA registration database. This is what they have said to us.
You should check with your dealer they have used this form and also get a copy of the tracker number and signature of the recorded deliver. This way you have proof the form was sent off and received by DVLA

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi Guys, This is some information for UK people who have bought a new van and wondering about registration and the legal implication of driving your van whilst waiting for registration.
I have spoken to DVLA and as long as your dealer has sent the registration form off on a secure 551 form by recorded delivery then you are OK to drive your van even though it if not showing on the DVLA registration database. This is what they have said to us.
You should check with your dealer they have used this form and also get a copy of the tracker number and signature of the recorded deliver. This way you have proof the form was sent off and received by DVLA
More than reasonable, the dealer will have the new reg number which is placed on the Van and away you go...its the same with a 2nd hand vehicle if I sold mine today I would post off the new keepers slip and there is a delay between my information on the data base as the registered keeper and the new owner so why would it be any different for a new vehicle ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Let's hope that the policeman who stops you because their ANPR has pinged up that your number is not on the DVLA database agrees with the DVLA's understanding of the law!

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Let's hope that the policeman who stops you because their ANPR has pinged up that your number is not on the DVLA database agrees with the DVLA's understanding of the law!
Well this is exactly why I asked DVLA and not my friend who is a traffic cop. Now I have the correct information I might ask him see what he says :LOL:. I expect a lot of cops will not know and also a lot with any common sense will know a new van will take time to register. Shame really there is no real proof you can carry and it takes hours to phone DVLA

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We had to have our new van delivered to us from Portsmouth as there was a delay in the registration process. DVLA told me under no circumstances could the van be driven on the public highway until it was registered with them. Irrelevant however the dealer processes the paperwork. To be fair to the dealer they told me the same but delivered to to me FOC as it was booked in for a tracker and alarm to be fitted at my house to satisfy my insurance company. It took a further ten days for it to be registered. Application was made on the first of Sept 2019 but registered on the nineteenth. My insurer said if it did not comply with the road traffic act it would not be insured.

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
We had to have our new van delivered to us from Portsmouth as there was a delay in the registration process. DVLA told me under no circumstances could the van be driven on the public highway until it was registered with them. Irrelevant however the dealer processes the paperwork. To be fair to the dealer they told me the same but delivered to to me FOC as it was booked in for a tracker and alarm to be fitted at my house to satisfy my insurance company. It took a further ten days for it to be registered. Application was made on the first of Sept 2019 but registered on the nineteenth. My insurer said if it did not comply with the road traffic act it would not be insured.
Seems different advice. We only just spoke to DVLA today and had to speak to the manager as the first person was not sure. I expect some people when you call then do not fully know. They checked my name and have the registration paperwork which was confirmed to have my name and address on the 551 form. As far as they are concerned this is ok to drive and the insurance would be no difference to buying a second hand car and driving it which the V5 book is changed over to new keeper. In the end its personal choice with the information to hand. I would not advice anyone to do what they feel safe to do. I personally after the conversation we had today, over an hour on the phone I am happy to drive the vehicle and will be happy to legally challenge any police stop

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
Bought ours in 2019 and it was delivered to us, we found out two weeks later that it wasnā€™t on the DVLA website.
Quick phone call and it was revealed that for what ever reason it wasnā€™t registered. It was fairly quickly sorted out but it was a tense few days waiting to see if the registration - new number so new plates- arrived before the ferry to France!

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Bought ours in 2019 and it was delivered to us, we found out two weeks later that it wasnā€™t on the DVLA website.
Quick phone call and it was revealed that for what ever reason it wasnā€™t registered. It was fairly quickly sorted out but it was a tense few days waiting to see if the registration - new number so new plates- arrived before the ferry to France!
Agree not good to find out when you have spent so much money. we are booked to go away in few weeks so was getting a bit worried

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not what the OP Fallais was told by the Policeman who stopped him or by the DVLA who advised the 14 period of grace had not been in place for many years. Did you get this advice in writing from the DVLA?

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
I did say previous post that i expect police database will not be updated. Also said its your choice, this was for information, you can phone DVLA and check with your dealer. In end I am happy after speaking to the main person at DVLA and this is normal practice on a 511 Form. The OP dealer may not have used a 511 form by recorded delivers. Also even then police do not always have full information which is very disappointing.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If its insured, has a legitimate plate and road taxed what's the issue?......awaiting an updated DVLA data base is no reason not to drive the vehicle

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I did say previous post that i expect police database will not be updated. Also said its your choice, this was for information, you can phone DVLA and check with your dealer. In end I am happy after speaking to the main person at DVLA and this is normal practice on a 511 Form. The OP dealer may not have used a 511 form by recorded delivers. Also even then police do not always have full information which is very disappointing.
The police have access to th insurance database so as long as its insured they probably won't be fussed

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
I agree. I think the OP was extremely unlucky with an over the top copper. The Dealer we bought from has sold all his stock this year and all have gone out on the road this way with no issues. I have also verified this with DVLA and again they have no issues. I drove my van over Dartford bridge which has cameras and police all over it. This is where they catch a lot of uninsured cars.
But like I originally said this is for information, its your risk weather you think its high risk or not is up to you :giggle:
I do have a friend who is a traffic cop. I will ask him what he would do, but only when I have my reg document. In end his still a copper so only trust him as far as I can throw him which is not far his a big lad :LOL:. Although I will risk driving it no reason to poke the bear if you know what I mean:giggle:

Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Exp
New, starting 2021
I agree. I think the OP was extremely unlucky with an over the top copper. The Dealer we bought from has sold all his stock this year and all have gone out on the road this way with no issues. I have also verified this with DVLA and again they have no issues. I drove my van over Dartford bridge which has cameras and police all over it. This is where they catch a lot of uninsured cars.
But like I originally said this is for information, its your risk weather you think its high risk or not is up to you :giggle:
I do have a friend who is a traffic cop. I will ask him what he would do, but only when I have my reg document. In end his still a copper so only trust him as far as I can throw him which is not far his a big lad :LOL:. Although I will risk driving it no reason to poke the bear if you know what I mean:giggle:
Hi, I am in the same position as the OP and yourself, a new MH stuck in the dealers wondering what is legal or not, and climbing up trees after a 7 month wait already!!!
However, I have encountered another problem, I tried to insure the MH with both AIB and Comfort, both actually quoted me a Aviva policy, but after checking with managers in both companies they told me I couldn't insure without proof of registration and tax. Could you tell me what insurance company you used, and did they need 'proof' of registration?

For those interested AIB and Comfort quoted the exact same Aviva policy to me, but Comfort was Ā£100 cheaper.

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
I am with caravan guard. We already had insurance and only needed to change it over to new van but they still would have had to do the checks. I did say at the time its still being registered and they still insured it. This is ridiculous its not as if we are trying to still the vans and we are happy to pay the tax and insurance. You would think they would put more effort on people that do not pay there dues.

If I was you I would check your dealer has sent the registration paperwork to DVLA by recorded and secure delivery. If they have and they have a signed receipt that the document has been delivered then give DVLA a call and see if they have received it and when will the doc be ready for your insurance.

I have emailed the caravan club and NCC on this matter to see if they cam put some pressure on this. We should not be waiting around for paper work which has been securely sent off the DVLA. This si no different to buying and selling a used car which has to change ownership

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Hi, I am in the same position as the OP and yourself, a new MH stuck in the dealers wondering what is legal or not, and climbing up trees after a 7 month wait already!!!
However, I have encountered another problem, I tried to insure the MH with both AIB and Comfort, both actually quoted me a Aviva policy, but after checking with managers in both companies they told me I couldn't insure without proof of registration and tax. Could you tell me what insurance company you used, and did they need 'proof' of registration?

For those interested AIB and Comfort quoted the exact same Aviva policy to me, but Comfort was Ā£100 cheaper.
I had no problem getting a cover note from NFU, they just needed to know the registration number that the dealer had reserved for us. Chelston Motorhomes said it could not be registered without insurance. I had the same information from Premier Motorhomes when I purchased from them a few years earlier.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I suspect this is why some dealers want you to pay for your new motorhome in advance, so they register it to you in advance and so the paperwork is all neat & tidy by the time you collect.

I know many wouldn't dream of paying before inspection but I wonder if this is a reason for asking?

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Well I do not have much respect for our dealer. We payed in full 4 weeks before picking up. He sent off paper work 2 days before we picked up. He had 4 weeks to do this. The van was not prepped before we picked it up. He was still sticking the number plate on when we picked it up. Van was filthy from storage and when we drove away few days later stopped working as they had left the negative loose on starter battery. They want the money up front but dont put in the effort when they have it

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Chelston told me they have to pay Carthago before they will put the vehicle on a lorry and ship it to the UK. The cost of registering the motorhome must be peanuts compared to the money they have already handed over. They did not expect anything more from me than the deposit before the day of handover. I was told they always allow 3+ weeks for the registration to go on the DVLA database because that is what the DVLA advise. The handover date was fixed on this basis.

If dealers are cutting corners and asking for money weeks in advance it makes me wonder whether they have a properly financed operation.

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Chelston told me they have to pay Carthago before they will put the vehicle on a lorry and ship it to the UK. The cost of registering the motorhome must be peanuts compared to the money they have already handed over. They did not expect anything more from me than the deposit before the day of handover. I was told they always allow 3+ weeks for the registration to go on the DVLA database because that is what the DVLA advise. The handover date was fixed on this basis.

If dealers are cutting corners and asking for money weeks in advance it makes me wonder whether they have a properly financed operation.
My dealer was not asking for money upfront. We had already inspected the van. It was easier to transfer the money earlier on the thinking they would get it registered but was let down poorly by then.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Never had a company demand that. We insured our motorhome with Comfort before it was registered. In fact - I think the dealer needed it insured before he could tax it - that's usual isn't it? You can't tax a vehicle without MOT and insurance.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
It should get insured on vin number. Thatā€™s how the trade do it.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Well in my experience of driving there is more chance of winning the lottery than seeing a policeman let alone being stopped by one. I drove my sports car without a front number plate for 6 months and was never stopped. Even when I had one it was illegal as it is 2/3rds size.

Unless you are speeding, driving erratically, etc you are unlikely to attract the attention of the police. I thinks both those things are unlikley in a Motorhome.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
that's usual isn't it? You can't tax a vehicle without MOT and insurance.
That is my understanding. Chelston said they needed the insurance certificate for registering and taxing the vehicle. The DVLA get the VIN number at the same time from Certificate of Conformity. Never been asked for the VIN number by an insurer, presumably they get it from the registration details.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Well in my experience of driving there is more chance of winning the lottery than seeing a policeman let alone being stopped by one. I drove my sports car without a front number plate for 6 months and was never stopped. Even when I had one it was illegal as it is 2/3rds size.

Unless you are speeding, driving erratically, etc you are unlikely to attract the attention of the police. I thinks both those things are unlikley in a Motorhome.
Their ANPR cameras are constantly scanning for inconsistencies.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and the insurance would be no difference to buying a second hand car and driving it which the V5 book is changed over to new keeper.
It is completely different.the second hand car has an existing registration ,the new one doesn't & until it does it doesn't exist
Also even then police do not always have full information which is very disappointing.
& they err on the side of caution & impound the vehicle. Once you have sorted it & pay to get it released you might then find half of anything left in it has disappeared?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
the anpr cant read a non standard plate thats why they made everything else illegal
The plate would be standard, just not registered. The ANPR should scan it ok but the computer would not find the registration on the database and presumably then alert the Officers. The OP says he was stopped within a mile of leaving home and the Officers already knew it was not registered or taxed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back