Unregistered Campervan (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
I have just bought a brand new Compass CV40 which the dealer registered and taxed (inc first reg fee) on the day prior to it being delivered to me. I have insured the vehicle and then checked the DVLA data base but the van was not showing . I queried this with the dealer who informed me that the registration was done by posting the V55 to Swansea and that it would take a few days to show on the database but I would be fine to drive the vehicle as there was a 14 days grace period given by DVLA for this exact reason.
I took the vehicle out to do some shopping and was stopped by the police within a mile of leaving home. They informed me that the vehicle was not registered or taxed on the database . I showed them my invoice and paperwork and they agreed to let me take the vehicle home , but told me it should stay on the drive and not be driven until I had received the V5C.
I contacted DVLA immediately and they confirmed that they had not processed and paperwork and could not verify if it had been received. They also stated that there had not been any 14 days grace agreement in place for many years and that the dealer was very wrong to suggest otherwise. Because of COVID the DVLA are stretched and although online Afril registrations were being completed in normal timescales , postal registrations were taking much longer and in some cases can take between 8 to 10 weeks !
I am now left with a very expensive vehicle on my drive which can’t be driven for goodness knows how log and is basically useless to me at present.
has anyone else had a similar experience or can offer any advise ?

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I would be asking the dealer why he didn't do the registration online if they could. I didn't think the dealer could tax the vehicle so I would be querying this as well with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And there I was thinking first registration could be done online by the registering dealer.
I'd be wanting to know why they posted the forms and didn't tax at the same time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately until it is officially registered with the DVLA it is not legal as you have been informed by the Police, the dealer needs to be taken to task though as you won't be the only one who has been told this so your next action should be to tell them. You'll know when it has been registered even before you get the paperwork as it will show on the DVLA database, but this could take a while as suggested on the linked thread in Swifter's post.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would be asking the dealer why he didn't do the registration online if they could. I didn't think the dealer could tax the vehicle so I would be querying this as well with them.

And there I was thinking first registration could be done online by the registering dealer.
I'd be wanting to know why they posted the forms and didn't tax at the same time.
I think that UK produced MHs can sometimes be registered online, but not all, however many, especially those from EU manufacturers, have to be done via post.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
From the DVLA website........for licences, but I've suffered the same delay for vehicle registration and amendments.

DVLA postal.JPG

New vehicles

The dealer will usually register a brand new vehicle for you. If they do, you’ll get a V5C registration certificate (log book). It will take longer than usual to get this because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

See here:

DVLA Coronavirus (COVID-19) update - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Vehicle registration: New and used vehicles - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Last edited:
OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
In normal circumstances I would be angry if this happened to me. But with covid lockdown it is not as though you can go anywhere with it anyway. So no actual effect as I see it?
I use the vehicle as my only transport during the day to visit my mother in lockdown who is vulnerable and in my bubble

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
I think that UK produced MHs can sometimes be registered online, but not all, however many, especially those from EU manufacturers, have to be done via post.
They taxed at the same time but there is no online system for some motorhome dealers apparently.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
If it's any consolation,mine is legit but it's also stuck on the drive as we are not allowed to overnight in it anywhere for the immediate future.
It’s a camper van so I was intending to use this as my daily vehicle to go shopping, so it’s quite a big deal to me.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
This happened to me three years ago, the dealer made a mistake on the original documentation, corrected it and returned to the DVLA, then stuck in their system. Didn't tell me until I'd parted with the money etc. They had put a set of trade plates on so I could get home (not legal apparently). It took me 2 weeks of calls and online checks before it all went through. I was advised as soon as I could see it online it was legal, the V5 arrived a few days later.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Posted earlier as I was in the same position.

basically you have to be patient. It’s a complete pain and it had me worried something had gone seriously wrong but it’s all worked out in the end.

it did take nearly 8 weeks to show on the Gov.U.K. site as registered and taxed (we did take it away for a weekend pre-lockdown - eek!) as the DVLA are suffering with delays.

Hang in there!

just to add, the post office is also suffering significant delays in some areas so there may also have been a delay in getting the forms to Swansea. Perfect storm of delays at the moment 😩

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
...Duplicate of what others have said

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
None of us can use our Motohomes at the moment we are not free to travel, hopefully things will change and when they do you will be able to be as free as a bird to enjoy your MoHo. So that 8-10 week timescale will probably just be in time
The OP was hoping to use his camper van as his daily transport 👍🏻

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Can I suggest you approach the dealer and tell him 'as he has cocked up he should provide you with a curtesy vehicle as you cannot use your own at present because of his incompetence' Assuming that your MoHo is your only vehicle.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Can I suggest you approach the dealer and tell him 'as he has cocked up he should provide you with a curtesy vehicle as you cannot use your own at present because of his incompetence' Assuming that your MoHo is your only vehicle.
Sadly he’s 150 miles away. I had the camper transported to me as couldn’t drive it back for covid rules .
It looks like I’ll just have to sit tight, although I feel completely cheated. If I was made aware if this from the offset I would have had the camper delivered on a 21 plate

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Im in a similar position, imported 2nd hand from Germany, been waiting over a month for the VCA certificate, before I can even start the DVLA registration process, no insurance before it has a UK registration, so catch 22 there, luckily I can park it out of sight at home and have had alarm, non starter and tracker fitted. If it wasn't for the current situation I'd be very frustrated, but not planning on going anywhere until spring/vaccination.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Im in a similar position, imported 2nd hand from Germany, been waiting over a month for the VCA certificate, before I can even start the DVLA registration process, no insurance before it has a UK registration, so catch 22 there, luckily I can park it out of sight at home and have had alarm, non starter and tracker fitted. If it wasn't for the current situation I'd be very frustrated, but not planning on going anywhere until spring/vaccination.
You could insure using the VIN number. Some insurers do that and at least it would be insured for theft and fire.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I use the vehicle as my only transport during the day to visit my mother in lockdown who is vulnerable and in my bubble
Perfectly valid reason to be angry with them then.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
They taxed at the same time but there is no online system for some motorhome dealers apparently.
Dealers should know they have to submit the registration documents about 3 weeks in advance of the handover and even then there can be delays. Ours took a bit longer and the dealer said we could complete the sale but should not drive it off his forecourt until the registration was showing on the database. Your dealer has clearly misinformed you and doesn’t know the basics of the trade or the law. In the circumstances the very least you can expect is for them to pay for car hire until you have a legal vehicle to drive and some compensation for loss of use and inconvenience.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Although nearly all car main dealers have access to DVLA's on line registration system very few Motorhome dealers do.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Several years ago my Dad had his new car delivered on the back of a transporter.
He was (correctly) told by the dealer that it could not be taken onto the road until the documentation had arrived.

It was on the drive for at least 3 weeks.

As far as I'm aware the 14 day grace period/driving on red plates option was rescinded in the 1990's, if not earlier.
Your dealer must have know that, therefore you drove an untaxed, unregistered and possibly uninsured vehicle home.

I would be inclined to name and shame the dealer, after he has paid out a suitable amount.
Due to his lies I would expect him to provide a vehicle for you to use until the paperwork comes through

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As far as I'm aware the 14 day grace period/driving on red plates option was rescinded in the 1990's, if not earlier.
Your dealer must have know that, therefore you drove an untaxed, unregistered and possibly uninsured vehicle home.
I had the camper transported to me as couldn’t drive it back for covid rules .

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just a thought.....
If it isn't registered yet how does it have number plates.....unless the dealer has a list of pre-designated numbers from DVLA
Yes, the dealers are given a set of numbers to work from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back