Unregistered Campervan (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I'm sure something like that would be permissible in the law but I'm thinking about it more from the purchaser's point of view ... would you be happy to pay fully for your MH without inspecting it and 'trusting' that you'll get it when its due for collection?
No I would not pay fully before an inspection or handover.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
This site very useful ive just looked Martin Brantd email up (md Erwin hymer) and dropped him an email to tell him about one of his dealer network

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Picking up a new one end of March, Date it comes off auto trail line is March 16th, I'll let you know how I get on!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Clients often forget to check a dealers financial status, many have vast stocking loans, plus borrowings on premises and equipment.
It's all too easy to be lead into legal action, that can precipitate an avalanche of creditors. Big premises etc does not mean stability in any way.
I know it's not easy at the moment, however for me meeting with the principal and seeking his explanation and solution to your issue, and not leaving until resolved would be my approach.
They might call the Police if feeling threatened, so calm firm resolve is required.
If the Police were called the dealer might have a few questions to answer.
Strategy is all important, solicitors rarely care, it's a fee and your the banker.
Trading standards are going he at night!

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
I think this might be my final post on this matter as I am now very low and depressed about the whole thing.
Nil response from Martin Brandt
Emailfrom compass saying they could offer no further help.
I responded to say I would be forced to take things further legally (The letters are written and ready to be sent)
Email from dealer saying compass had contacted them and they can easily sell the vehicle to someone else as they have a waiting list ,and that they would refund me for the vehicle and collect it unless I was prepared to just wait to see if it ever gets registered .
However they insist prior to refund, I write to DVLA and stop the registration process and them get a letter from DVLA to prove this . This as you know will take weeks and weeks as the DVLA are quoting 6 to eight weeks to respond to any application or query and will not speak to me .
I find myself in a no win situation. I desperately want to keep my vehicle but can’t use it and don’t know when I will be able to.
It will take weeks to stop the registration process and the dealer will not accept the vehicle back till this is complete.
I will still be out of pocket for the cost of deliver (nearly £300) and the penalty for ending insurance early.
I have responded to dealer to say I don’t accept the terms of his offer at present and have stressed I want the vehicle legally registered and taxed.
HELP !!!!!

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Don’t want to appear unsympathetic, but you cannot go away in the van yet maybe another month or two so firstly Speak to your MP, there has been a committee sitting to find out what the hell has been going on at the DVLA. It is possible that it will be resolved if the DVLA have now got a handle the issue and if Trading Standards are involved too pressure may start to build up on the Dealer. I would consider talking to the press local to your dealer, nothing like crap publicity to make them sit up.
Good luck and keep your chin up.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Picking up a new one end of March, Date it comes off auto trail line is March 16th, I'll let you know how I get o
Don’t want to appear unsympathetic, but you cannot go away in the van yet maybe another month or two so firstly Speak to your MP, there has been a committee sitting to find out what the hell has been going on at the DVLA. It is possible that it will be resolved if the DVLA have now got a handle the issue and if Trading Standards are involved too pressure may start to build up on the Dealer. I would consider talking to the press local to your dealer, nothing like crap publicity to make them sit up.
Good luck and keep your chin up.
Thanks, but I intended to use the van as my main transport as it is ideal in a pandemic situation having its own washing and toilet facilities. I need to care for my very elderly mother who lives rurally 40 miles away and I have been taking taxis to deliver her shopping etc as my wife needs our other vehicle for work all day .That’s why it was so important to have the vehicle now

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Thanks, but I intended to use the van as my main transport as it is ideal in a pandemic situation having its own washing and toilet facilities. I need to care for my very elderly mother who lives rurally 40 miles away and I have been taking taxis to deliver her shopping etc as my wife needs our other vehicle for work all day .That’s why it was so important to have the vehicle now
Understood then I can really understand you being down and pissed of now.
good luck I hope this catch 22 situation gets sorted very soon.👌

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You have every right to feel very fed up but I hope you can hang in there a bit longer. I have lost track a bit. Did the dealer eventually make a registration application with the certificate of newness the DVLA asked for? If so when did they submit it? The DVLA seem to be turning registrations round a bit quicker now and if they have got all the paperwork they asked for it might yet get registered soon.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
UNBELIEVABLE!!!
DVLA has now returned paperwork to dealer again as it says the VAT has not been paid to HMRC . Dealer is beside himself with worry and HMRC has quoted about 4 weeks to sort out . Then the DVLA will allow paperwork to be resubmitted and whole process has to start again. Dealer is happy to refund and collect but I obviously lose the vehicle and after calling around can’t get a replacement till end of year . Alternatively I await HMRC resolution then await DVLA process. Possibly 12 plus weeks , possibly less , but means awaiting a lot of government bodies to sort themselves out .
aaarrrrghgghhhhh, the worst £44k I’ve ever spent

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
UNBELIEVABLE!!!
DVLA has now returned paperwork to dealer again as it says the VAT has not been paid to HMRC . Dealer is beside himself with worry and HMRC has quoted about 4 weeks to sort out . Then the DVLA will allow paperwork to be resubmitted and whole process has to start again. Dealer is happy to refund and collect but I obviously lose the vehicle and after calling around can’t get a replacement till end of year . Alternatively I await HMRC resolution then await DVLA process. Possibly 12 plus weeks , possibly less , but means awaiting a lot of government bodies to sort themselves out .
aaarrrrghgghhhhh, the worst £44k I’ve ever spent
Sorry to hear of the further problem.

Now that the DVLA is treating it as an imported vehicle, which the Fiat bit certainly is, it is a standard requirement to have proof of VAT payment before the registration request can be made. Sadly your dealer seems to be learning how to do this at your expense. I don’t think the DVLA is necessarily to blame. The DVLA website refers to a NOVA application that goes to HMRC but I think this process may have changed a bit since 01/01/2021. Sadly I think some of the complications may lie in the new HMRC rules which are impacting on a number of factors affecting imports.

It really is the dealers job to keep up with Government procedures and yours didn’t even know the 14 days grace had disappeared years ago. Now that he and you know that selling an unregistered vehicle is a criminal offence the dealer really ought to be sending you crates of beer and car hire vouchers to keep you happy, whilst he sorts out what he should have done in the first place.

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
It all seems to be going wrong for you, however if you decide to return vehicle be sure the dealer pays by bank transfer and you see the money in the bank before the vehicle goes. I would update trading standards they may be able to through some light on what would be the best course of action now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
VAT only has to be paid before registration on personal imports. Anyone who is VAT register pays the VAT at the end of their VAT quarter.
I really don't uderstand DVLA stance on this. I can only think that the problem started and they said it was an imported vehicle some idiot logged that on their system.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Although your complaint is with your ‘dealer’, I believe the official way of making a high level complaint about DVLA is through your MP

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Although your complaint is with your ‘dealer’, I believe the official way of making a high level complaint about DVLA is through your MP
Tried that , my mom won’t reply to me . Anne Marie trevelyan

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
i can’t thank everyone on this forum enough for all their advice and support with this post. Unfortunately I have made decision with my wife this evening, to walk away from this one and accept a refund offer. It literally has been a horrendous experience and not one I wish to repeat. I think my motorhome days are over before they begun .
If you are considering buying a new Eldis or Compass please BEWARE , don’t take anything at face value and accept no proof of registration until you hold the v5 or screen print the DVLA ”is my car taxed” website.
Happy motorhoming everyone, sadly I will not be joining you .

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
A sad tale indeed and very laudable of you not to call the dealer out on the forum.

Perhaps when it is all over you could enlighten us with the dealers name as it certainly would help others. I have a sneaking suspicion who they are but will keep my ideas to myself, at the moment.

Hope this has not finished you and motorhoming off for good as it can be a really rewarding experience.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
A sad tale indeed and very laudable of you not to call the dealer out on the forum.

Perhaps when it is all over you could enlighten us with the dealers name as it certainly would help others. I have a sneaking suspicion who they are but will keep my ideas to myself, at the moment.

Hope this has not finished you and motorhoming off for good as it can be a really rewarding experience.
Thanks, on reflection I don’t think the dealer wanted anything but a happy customer and has tried to help, but obviously made a huge mistake on day one about me being allowed to drive it. After speaking to him today he is genuinely stressed and hasn’t done anything with the paperwork that he hasn’t done many times previously. As long as I receive my money back prior to collection and I can walk away no worse off than I was in December, I’ll have to put it down to experience. The DVLA however are unhelpful, unapproachable and as an organisation is completely unfit for purpose.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
However they insist prior to refund, I write to DVLA and stop the registration process and them get a letter from DVLA to prove this . This as you know will take weeks and weeks as the DVLA are quoting 6 to eight weeks to respond to any application or query and will not speak to me .
DVLA has now returned paperwork to dealer again as it says the VAT has not been paid to HMRC . Dealer is beside himself with worry and HMRC has quoted about 4 weeks to sort out .
Unfortunately I have made decision with my wife this evening, to walk away from this one and accept a refund offer.
I think you are doing the right thing, you don't need the stress - as it can't be used at the moment due to the registration issue but also because of covid even if you got it sorted you'd still likely resent it being just sat there. The fact that the DVLA have returned the paperwork again without registering it has actually done you a favour in that it means you don't now have to get a letter form them confirming it hasn't been registered so your refund should be able to be done quickly.

Don't let it put you off getting a MH, but instead take the time to maybe think again as to whether this was the correct one for you and if another would be more suitable, possibly a 'nearly new' one so you don't have the registration issue again.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I think you are doing the right thing. I don't think he had a lot of choice, but full kudos to the dealer in not making things more difficult.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
i can’t thank everyone on this forum enough for all their advice and support with this post. Unfortunately I have made decision with my wife this evening, to walk away from this one and accept a refund offer. It literally has been a horrendous experience and not one I wish to repeat. I think my motorhome days are over before they begun .
If you are considering buying a new Eldis or Compass please BEWARE , don’t take anything at face value and accept no proof of registration until you hold the v5 or screen print the DVLA ”is my car taxed” website.
Happy motorhoming everyone, sadly I will not be joining you .
I think you are being sensible, but based on the fact that many people get through 3 motorhomes before finding the model that really suits them, why don’t you buy a 12 month or 2 year van, obviously you shouldn’t have any of the issues you have suffered.
Dont give up on your dream of owning a motorhome the freedom it will give you both is worth it’s weight in gold.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I hope you don’t give up altogether but it seems the right thing to do for now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Please don't think me impertinent but WHY did you choose this particular PVC?

The reason I ask is that we had an Autocruise Accent which was nearly identical to the one you were getting although the rear lounge area was raised up to give some underfloor storage in the centre which was useful and deeper storage under the seating. It was great but we never used it as a rear lounge and instead had it made up as a bed. What we found was that getting stuff out from under the seats was a real pain in the bum having to either unmake the bed to get at stuff or try to lift the cushions with all the bedding on and 'dive' under it. It was a great PVC but the next one had a fixed transverse bed and was so much easier with better storage and access to it.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Why did we choose our rear lounge layout ? A/ more room to relax in.B/ In our instance we do not want the climbing over one another in the middle of the night. C/ We can carry enough gear in the under settee lockers to make our touring needs comfortable, and I will not have bits in the living space that clutter up walk throughs. D/ Although both of us are well into our seventies WE are not too lazy or not fit enough to take a few seconds to lift the settee as I suspect Fallaise may not be and possibly why they chose that layout.
And what’s more, no continental manufacturer built our preferred layout, unless of course it was built in the Auto Trail factory !
Since our first V Line the Danbury rear lounge is now I understand is built by Rapido, and I would not buy anything Macron had anything to do with.
I speak for ourselves in this instance, would we buy a different layout, no !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why did we choose our rear lounge layout ? A/ more room to relax in.B/ In our instance we do not want the climbing over one another in the middle of the night. C/ We can carry enough gear in the under settee lockers to make our touring needs comfortable, and I will not have bits in the living space that clutter up walk throughs. D/ Although both of us are well into our seventies WE are not too lazy or not fit enough to take a few seconds to lift the settee as I suspect Fallaise may not be and possibly why they chose that layout.
And what’s more, no continental manufacturer built our preferred layout, unless of course it was built in the Auto Trail factory !
Since our first V Line the Danbury rear lounge is now I understand is built by Rapido, and I would not buy anything Macron had anything to do with.
I speak for ourselves in this instance, would we buy a different layout, no !
That's a different layout to the one the OP was buying, the rear sofas are not long enough to use as 2 single beds so it would have to be a transverse bed which makes getting at stuff underneath more difficult ... I speak from experience.

Compass CV40

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
We have the CV 40 and we love the layout,yes the rear lounge is to small to be used a single beds ,but we can both sit with our feet up easily while relaxing and it’s simple to make the bed up .

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Dealer has decently enough arranged to collect vehicle and fully refund us, including our transport. We have found another vehicle elsewhere and purchased it . We will receive it once all registered and ready . Although it could be a few months away we feel happier now we have something definate in the pipeline .

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Dealer has decently enough arranged to collect vehicle and fully refund us, including our transport. We have found another vehicle elsewhere and purchased it . We will receive it once all registered and ready . Although it could be a few months away we feel happier now we have something definate in the pipeline .
That’s good news you both will feel a bit less stressed good of your dealer to
come through in the end .Good luck.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Haha, it’s me again.
The new place I’m getting my cv 40 from has sent terms and conditions plus order through email for me. They are saying they want £5k deposit which is fine , but then full payment before they will send registration away. This leaves me £45k exposed and hoping they don’t go bust or that there is no snags with vehicle registration process.
i Don’t think I’ll be going ahead with that one either.
Good god, how difficult is it to buy a new motorhome in this country

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back