Under the sea and far away. (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
IMG-20210916-WA0006.jpg
We're in Meze, today. It was a bit murky when we left Millau this morning, but it's been lovely this afternoon. A few rumbles of thunder around, this evening.
Off to Marseillan for a few days, from tomorrow.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
After several days of high humidity, cloud and the occasional thunder storm today is glorious.
30°C with a light breeze and a lovely fresh feel………perfect.

Been out for my first proper bike ride this morning, :cycle:over the ‘mini' Clape, David dalspa and Robert Clark will know where that is. Seemed strange not to have my cycling buddies with me but it was a good ride in great weather.
First proper ride on my new super light Boardman bike and the first without electric for years. After the first mile my legs were starting to ache but that soon went off.
I have to admit walking up the steep bit of hill beside the old Roman villa but that was just so that I could have a good look at the archeology………honest guv. :imoutahere:
I did take a photo to prove my innocence:-

743ED2A9-1652-4E6F-8DE7-C59B03B77FFB.jpeg

Another photo taken en-route that some will recognise, tho old village of Gruissan from above the vineyards.

97DBB733-D93C-4544-BE0A-4486C7C74A0F.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Update from me. we spent a couple of nights on the aire at Epineuil CC 50058, free quiet aire with cycling among the vineyards or along the nearby canal. We then moved on to one of Richard's favourite spots at Sancoins CC 2055 very busy but we squeezed in. Our FLT days are over for a bit as our fridge refused to work on gas this morning so we have moved on to somewhere we have been to many times the campsite (shut your eyes and ears Lenny) on the island at Amboise CC23905. I will get the tools and meter out tomorrow, to try and sort the problem. No clicking from the ignitor. Gas ok to boiler and hob so it looks to be electrical. Hopefully get it sorted or or FLT days this trip are over, any chance of a loan Lenny or have you spent all your money on your des res on the south coast.
Hope all you fellow funsters currently in France keep safe and enjoy your trips.

James (marpool)
I am on the aire at Sancoins tonight.Busy but still space.BUSBY.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I just got this memory up on Facebook from 6 years ago, I said I would ride up Mont Ventoux when I had recovered from cancer. Well I didn’t quite ride the whole way up, I reckon I walked the last 2 kilometers. I used my mountain bike, well it is a mountain after all. My legs turned to rubber towards the end but I did make it to the top, took 3 hours 25 minutes up and about 20 minutes down. View attachment 537216
It was easier last year on my new scoot. 😜
01D435ED-B09B-44FB-A677-2235D873B5FE.jpeg

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
More rain again this evening. There’s a small front passing through with the odd rumble of thunder. BBQ has been cancelled and the burgers will have to be cooked inside. Weather for Sunday looks good although it might get a bit windy mid morning………not unusual here as the aire is properly called Quatre Vents.

Another bimble on the bike this morning, this time to the Plage and the Chalets. A nice gentle ride with a stiff breeze to help me along, then all along the walkway beside the huge beach. Right to the end then back, zig zagging around the lines of buildings, all built on stilts to stay above the encroaching water in times of storm.
Getting back to base in the strong breeze was a bit harder than the ride out.
The afternoon was spent snoozing in the sun to recover.

Distant views of the beach and harbour entrance.

BABB957F-F9E0-4FAF-8D29-AB64A77C6972.jpeg
1B73C40A-6B90-47D5-9E10-3F1064F7FE6E.jpeg

Richard.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Off tomorrow via Jasmine Camping. Only going as far down as Montmorillon via Epernay. 👍
Stayed on the Municipal at Montmorillon 4 years ago and arrived late afternoon. Free BBQ included, so we decided to 'put in an appearance' and then finish setting up the trailer tent & awning. Nice plan, Campsite Warden kept sending the wine around, so, a wee bit the worse for wear at about 23:30, we decided to do the bare minimum and finish the set up in the morning ...
Lots of giggling and ssshhes(slurred) as the poles clanged etc. 🤭🙄
We had a lovely stay, beautiful town and very friendly!

Steve and Elaine

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Agreed marchie . We've been to that campsite too. It's lovely, and I remember the warden as being very friendly.
We like the town, too.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Agreed marchie . We've been to that campsite too. It's lovely, and I remember the warden as being very friendly.
We like the town, too.
Yes, it is a bit quiet around there but, if you are foodies, the Hotel du France has a fantastic restaurant (le lucullus). About a 10 minute walk to the campsite
Also, Bar Commerce. Henri is a great guy and they had, at leat up to Covid, a few good music nights.
La Trimouille, our local village, has a new bar opened in it, and a nice municipal campsite by the river. A bit quiet but a lot of good walks to be had in the area.
If you visit, I hope that you enjoy 👍

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just an update from "a friend" who couldn't upload his French test to the Eurotunnel website when travelling back.
He got pulled at the ticket place by Eurotunnel staff and sent into the new system which is prior to French border staff you go to duty free where you have to produce your docs.
Luckily he took the option of downloading everything onto his phone but couldn't transfer them to laptop which is what he was using to load docs up.
He tells me there were no checks seen for goods and he now has a wine reservoir again

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just an update from "a friend" who couldn't upload his French test to the Eurotunnel website when travelling back.
He got pulled at the ticket place by Eurotunnel staff and sent into the new system which is prior to French border staff you go to duty free where you have to produce your docs.
Luckily he took the option of downloading everything onto his phone but couldn't transfer them to laptop which is what he was using to load docs up.
He tells me there were no checks seen for goods and he now has a wine reservoir again
I take it that was a while ago as you don't need a French test now.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Yes, it is a bit quiet around there but, if you are foodies, the Hotel du France has a fantastic restaurant (le lucullus). About a 10 minute walk to the campsite
Also, Bar Commerce. Henri is a great guy and they had, at leat up to Covid, a few good music nights.
La Trimouille, our local village, has a new bar opened in it, and a nice municipal campsite by the river. A bit quiet but a lot of good walks to be had in the area.
If you visit, I hope that you enjoy 👍
Even more importantly it has a very good ladies hairdresser

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We crossed through the tunnel to France yesterday. Had a crossing booked for 16:16 but arrived at the terminal at 12:00. They bumped us straight onto the 13:18 crossing with no charge. The terminal was like a ghost town. Customs asked us for our proof of vaccination and we got pulled in to check that our gas was off. No searches inside the MH at all. 👍

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
'Oh what a purrrfect day'.
Wasn't that a song title a few years ago? Well today was one of those.

The Tramontane, which has been blustering and battering for the last few days, dropped last night and changed direction 180° to a light breeze off the sea. The sun has been shining, it’s warm but not over hot……..just like baby bears porridge. :giggle:

Went for a lovely bike ride around the marina, along beside the beach and all the way to the far end of Narbonne Plage. There was a slight headwind on the way out which meant a tail wind most of the way back. Just under 17 miles completed and not a single electron was disturbed, all done by leg power. :cycle:
My longest ride since we were here two years ago.

While I was out, Kate had a visit by bellabee (of this parish), only the 4th Brit we have chatted to in three weeks. Three have been Funsters.
Will try and catch up with them tomorrow.

Photo from the marina at Narbonne Plage looking towards St Pierre.

54AE3466-F3CE-442D-B932-41892D525A4F.jpeg

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Drove today from Le Crotoy to Epernay avoiding all toll roads. A very pleasant journey. We decided to walk up from the municipal campsite into town. We were not impressed at all from the quick scoot around, it all looked a bit drab. We have decided to get the train to Reims tomorrow and give Epernay town another go during the day on Friday. It doesn't seem short on champagne tasting houses. Does anyone have any pointers for other POI'S or must do things here? Any suggestions would be greatly received. 👍

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Drove today from Le Crotoy to Epernay avoiding all toll roads. A very pleasant journey. We decided to walk up from the municipal campsite into town. We were not impressed at all from the quick scoot around, it all looked a bit drab. We have decided to get the train to Reims tomorrow and give Epernay town another go during the day on Friday. It doesn't seem short on champagne tasting houses. Does anyone have any pointers for other POI'S or must do things here? Any suggestions would be greatly received. 👍
Mercier is worth a visit they have 18 kms of cellars dug in the chalk underground and the tour includes a little underground train plus the sampling.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Yet another 'Purrrfect' day today.
One of those days made for doing bu**er all.
Spent the whole day just sitting and looking and reading apart from nipping up to the corner shop for our morning croissants and baguette.
Pork steaks on the BBQ this evening with the cook assisted by a couple of cold ones then a glass or two of local red. :wine:
Cheers!

Richard.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Yet another 'Purrrfect' day today.
One of those days made for doing bu**er all.
Spent the whole day just sitting and looking and reading apart from nipping up to the corner shop for our morning croissants and baguette.
Pork steaks on the BBQ this evening with the cook assisted by a couple of cold ones then a glass or two of local red. :wine:
Cheers!

Richard.
So jeely ass , wish I,d gone over instead of playing it safe & stay in Cornwall .
Can,t wait for June 22

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
There last week.
The balloon ride seems worth it in Epernay. 12 euros or 18 euros with glass of champagne. You can see it from miles away. Couldn't do it as wind too high when I wanted to go.
We cycled up and down the Marne canal. Very pleasant.
Hauteville is a couple of km uphill from the canal path with expensive bars but a couple of lovely views. It is also got something to do with Dom Perrignon and it may be the place champagne was invented (or I could be wrong) NB hill to hauteville quite steep for non ebikes
If you want an Aire that is well out of the way and walk 10 yards for stunning views try Mutigny

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
So jeely ass , wish I,d gone over instead of playing it safe & stay in Cornwall .
Can,t wait for June 22
You should have come over.
Using aires there is virtually no contact with anyone so is very safe.
Shopping no different to the U.K. except everyone wears a face mask in shops.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back