Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
At last!!!
We are sitting at Cheriton waiting to board the train and cross the sea. It seems so long since we were last in France and we’ve been counting down the weeks and days.
Return is booked for six weeks time and let’s just hope we have plenty of sun and warmth after a miserable summer at home.
We arrived at the tunnel fairly early in the hope they might offer us an earlier train, which they did but for an extra £20. My inner FLT said no (Lenny HB would be proud of me :rofl: ) so we’re still waiting.
Passport checks were done with smiles and humour, even by the French, and the gas check was just a “is your gas off?”, answer yes, off you go then. No interest in all my saved and printed documents or QR codes just asked by the French passport officer if we were jabbed. Also no checks for contraband burgers or sausages. :LOL:(y)
No real plans but we may stop at Sangatte tonight and head south to La Mailleraye tomorrow. Eventually we will no doubt spend some time at Gruissan where we always seem to end up at this time of year. Unfortunately my cycling companions David and Anne dalspa aren’t able to join us this year but we hope to meet up with Robert Clark and Lis somewhere.
I'll attempt to keep this thread updated so that others can get an idea of how things are in France but once the holiday mode of general laziness kicks in anything may or may not happen. :france::cool::wine:

Richard.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Making me so so jelly as!!!
we hope to go over next June ,as I've got one tunnel ticket left to use from 2 years a go , must be booked by June but depends on cost of dog etc , as our latest dog has not had necessary jabs etc yet.
Hope you have a long hot Indian summer & a great time ENJOY , safe travels !!
Terry & Ann

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
At last!!!
We are sitting at Cheriton waiting to board the train and cross the sea. It seems so long since we were last in France and we’ve been counting down the weeks and days.
Return is booked for six weeks time and let’s just hope we have plenty of sun and warmth after a miserable summer at home.
We arrived at the tunnel fairly early in the hope they might offer us an earlier train, which they did but for an extra £20. My inner FLT said no (Lenny HB would be proud of me :rofl: ) so we’re still waiting.
Passport checks were done with smiles and humour, even by the French, and the gas check was just a “is your gas off?”, answer yes, off you go then. No interest in all my saved and printed documents or QR codes just asked by the French passport officer if we were jabbed. Also no checks for contraband burgers or sausages. :LOL:(y)
No real plans but we may stop at Sangatte tonight and head south to La Mailleraye tomorrow. Eventually we will no doubt spend some time at Gruissan where we always seem to end up at this time of year. Unfortunately my cycling companions David and Anne dalspa aren’t able to join us this year but we hope to meet up with Robert Clark and Lis somewhere.
I'll attempt to keep this thread updated so that others can get an idea of how things are in France but once the holiday mode of general laziness kicks in anything may or may not happen. :france::cool::wine:

Richard.
How about a night or 2 stopover at my place, you won't be far??
No more gypsies, no more holidays camps (yesterday was last day) I have less work all september so if you fancy to go and visit City of Space, it's on the other side of the road !
:gum:

Amicalement
Frankie

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
At last!!!

Richard.
Wanted to press the Like button Richard, but too painful 😢😭. Safe travels.
David.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
No more gypsies, no more holidays camps (yesterday was last day) I have less work all september so if you fancy to go and visit City of Space, it's on the other side of the road !

Amicalement
Frankie
That a very kind offer Frankie, many thanks.
Not sure yet when and where we are going, we don’t really plan anything, just have a vague idea where we might go. Météo-France and a few other meteo apps are the key to any plans.
If it looks as though we are heading in your direction we will give you a shout. (y)

Richard.

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year

Amicalement
Frankie

May I ask where your place is? (I am assuming you have a campsite, apologies if not!)

Cheers

Gerry

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
May I ask where your place is? (I am assuming you have a campsite, apologies if not!)

Cheers

Gerry
Hello Gerry!

No, I have no campsite but any funster is very welcome at my place. I'm the warden of a private stadium, and it is quite easy to park here . Of course, I'm working, and so I'm not there to entertain anyone, but quite happy to chat when work is over. It's all free of charge...so no worry , and no need for apologies! I live next to Toulouse , BALMA is the name of my little town. Any time you want to call in , just send me a PM and I'll give you my details.

Amicalement

Frankie ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Spent a very peaceful night at Sangatte aire.
No evidence of dusky skinned adventurers trying to gain access to motorhomes or bikes and although quite busy the place was quiet as the grave…….not too surprising as it’s next to the village cemetery.
Another grey morning but we are heading south to the Seine where the forecast is sun, sun, sun. :cool:

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Glad to hear you and your good lady are on your way. We will not be far behind you tunnel booked for Sunday PM. Also planning to spend our first night over the water for 18 months at Sangatte. Have a safe onward journey and hope you find some sun.

James (marpool)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Spent a very peaceful night at Sangatte aire.
No evidence of dusky skinned adventurers trying to gain access to motorhomes or bikes and although quite busy the place was quiet as the grave…….not too surprising as it’s next to the village cemetery.
Another grey morning but we are heading south to the Seine where the forecast is sun, sun, sun. :cool:

Richard.
We try and park in dead centre of a village or town,so convenient 😉

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We left the grey skies behind as we drove down the A16 from Calais.
We left the motorway and dropped into Neufchâtel en Bray to get some essential supplies, mostly liquid (hic!), at E, Leclerk before continuing to La Mailleraye.
Oh what a difference it is driving in France after our recent trips to Scotland and going up and down the A1 and A14. Great smooth road surfaces and very little traffic. Arm rests down, cruise control on aaaand relax.

Now between two other Brit vans so we’ve started a British enclave in France. 🇬🇧
The really good news is that the sun is shining, shorts are back on and chairs are out on the river bank. :cool:

I forgot to say in my earlier post that when we got off the train we drove through City de Europe and into the Carrefour fuel station. Diesel was €1.405 per litre which seems to work out about 13-14p cheaper than the U.K.

Richard.

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
At last!!!

Richard.
Glad to see more and more people taking the plunge this year, it’s really not the massive fuss getting over there that people have been led to believe. It’s definitely worth the effort.
No doubt you’ll relax after a few days and posting on the forum will be the last thing on your mind.😃
Enjoy your trip

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We left the grey skies behind as we drove down the A16 from Calais.
We left the motorway and dropped into Neufchâtel en Bray to get some essential supplies, mostly liquid (hic!), at E, Leclerk before continuing to La Mailleraye.
Oh what a difference it is driving in France after our recent trips to Scotland and going up and down the A1 and A14. Great smooth road surfaces and very little traffic. Arm rests down, cruise control on aaaand relax.

Now between two other Brit vans so we’ve started a British enclave in France. 🇬🇧
The really good news is that the sun is shining, shorts are back on and chairs are out on the river bank. :cool:

I forgot to say in my earlier post that when we got off the train we drove through City de Europe and into the Carrefour fuel station. Diesel was €1.405 per litre which seems to work out about 13-14p cheaper than the U.K.

Richard.
Cheapest we have seen is 1.38, at a Leclerc near St Etienne however the next best price has been 1.40 and only a few of them about.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
At last!!!

Richard.
Have a great trip . Let us know where you get to and how high you can get the temperature up-to ?

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It’s a cool and misty morning beside the Seine and the sun is just coming up over the trees on the opposite bank. 🌞
As always I slept like a log with the silence only broken a couple of times with the thrum of barge engines as they cruised past.
Dave and Clare daveclare came and said hello yesterday afternoon and we ended up having a long chat. Another lovely Funster couple we have met on our travels. Also had quick chats with the Brits that are either side of us so quite a sociable day.
No plans for today. The weather looks good for the next couple of days so we will stay on our lovely riverbank for a while before moving south.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
So glad your license finally turned up Richard, all abit worrying at Lyndon top the other weekend!

Enjoy your 6 weeks and safe travels

Andy

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Cheapest we have seen is 1.38, at a Leclerc near St Etienne however the next best price has been 1.40 and only a few of them about.
Intermarche currently have diesel at €1.34.8 - we got it at Yvetot but subsequently saw it at another Intermarche at the same price. I think it may be a short term promotion.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Another sunny day beside the Seine.
It's very hazy and still with barely a breath of breeze and quite hot. 25°C showing on the outside temp display but feels hotter.
A lazy day again, just watched F1 practice despite a patchy mobile signal, qualifying later and we’ll stay here tomorrow to watch the race.
Being a weekend the aire is fairly busy but still plenty of space, so if anyone is hesitant about coming over the water just get yourself in gear and get across. :cool: :france:
Richard

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
get yourself in gear and get across.
We‘ve got the tunnel booked for Monday afternoon and then plan a similar start to yours, Sangatte then La Maillerraye. Good to know there’s space. We‘ll probably be there on Tuesday. (We want to check out the pharmacie as a possibility for pre-return antigen tests.)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Another sunny day beside the Seine.
It's very hazy and still with barely a breath of breeze and quite hot. 25°C showing on the outside temp display but feels hotter.
A lazy day again, just watched F1 practice despite a patchy mobile signal, qualifying later and we’ll stay here tomorrow to watch the race.
Being a weekend the aire is fairly busy but still plenty of space, so if anyone is hesitant about coming over the water just get yourself in gear and get across. :cool: :france:
Richard

guess where we are?

opposite your favourite pitch, we’re facing the marina

tiz pretty full here, but we got a front row position

A4A52808-B773-486B-9309-26B43B6FC1BA.jpeg

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Envious Richard. We should be over there at present but Lesley developed a dental problem and getting it fixed is going to take time.

Enjoy and please keep us updated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back