UK site additional charges (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hello Funsters

Some of you may be aware that we’ve postponed our trip to France and Spain and have now opted for a UK holiday.
It looks like we’ve bagged the last pitch that was available for our 10 nights in August at a nice site on the outskirts of Padstow.
We’ve been before to this site, albeit a long time ago and in an old VW campervan.
Although it has its own stretch of private beach, it’s a bus or taxi ride from the centre of Padstow, so this year, our plans were to hire a car for 5 to 7 days as going out for the day in a near 9m Motorhome may be a little different to a 1974 VW on country lanes in Cornwall.
I’m currently trying to find an ‘affordable’ hire car and preferably to collect in Padstow rather than to trail to Newquay airport to collect.
What has surprised me is upon reading the campsites rules, they charge £5 per night extra for an additional car.
Additional cars must be parked within your pitch boundary.

So why charge extra?
I could understand it if it was to be parked in their car park, but if you are paying for the pitch, shouldn’t it matter what you fill that pitch with?

Incidentally, they also charge for gazebos. (Not that we are taking one) Again, if it goes on your pitch, why charge extra?
They don’t allow group bookings, so that cancels out the scenario of loads of cars relating to one group on a pitch.

So a car and caravan don’t get charged, but a Motorhome with car does.
Yet a car, tent and trailer is ok.
I don’t understand this.

So my little run around car hire will cost an extra £35 before we’ve even started.

BTW, we are paying £46.00 per night for the 10night stay for the pitch with electric, 2 adults & 1 child.
Any ideas what the thought process is behind additional charges on sites?

I wouldn't stay there simples

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
And what annoys me is when , on the rare occasion we use a site , caravaners often Park their car on the grass.
Not the gravel bit. As they’ve a big awning out on that bit .
So we often have Someone’s car on “our” grass bit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
2 vehicles with engines, extra pollution/carbon footprint. Maybe it’s in the conditions of the license or planning permission?

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've not paid those sort of prices for years. In fact I hardly ever stay at a British camp site at all. I'm happy with cl, cs, and the occasional rally field. But all the petty rules and ridiculously high charges, haughty unfriendly staff etc on "proper" campsites p me off. I can see that covid has badly effected their business, and sympathise with them. But even now I will be going abroad. Lower rates of infection, friendly sites, cheap or free aires, come and go as you like.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Extra for the is not limited to UK. Went to a site in Portugal,they wanted to charge extra,but said the extra was for the trailer. So unloading car, chained trailer up to a handy tree drove car in for free

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
No-one has to pay prices they don’t like.

Doing much of our travelling in mainland Europe we find U.K. prices are high in many places. The absence of Aires/Stellplatz etc, together with few ACSI discounted sites and Municiapally owned sites keep prices high.

However, we use CLs and CSs to keep the cost down and pay the higher price for a site if it is in an area that we want to visit. Generally we would avoid the high priced sites as we, personally, do not need the “all singing, all dancing” facilities of many.

Having said that, the Tunnel is costing us £485 return (out beginning of August, return end of September), for our motorhome and trailer, and fuel costs to get to the Continent are on top. That would pay for quite a few U.K. nights.

At the end of the day motorhoming has costs associated with it. Where and how we choose to spend our money is part of the freedom of choice it provides us.

The biggest problem we find in the U.K. is lack of facilities in general. Camp sites fully booked restricting the freedom to roam at will.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks folks - some varied but valid points.
Unfortunately, my retirement is way off, and due to a 6 year old in tow, we are limited to holidaying during school holidays.
Our tick list was to stay on a site with easy access to a beach but to be near some shops and a town to go wander around.
Finding this little criteria for a near 9m Motorhome during August and as a last minute choice over travelling to France and Spain has been challenging to say the least.
So, although I accept that £46 per night is high in some opinions, it is what it is unfortunately.
Out of season and with an ACSI card and during ‘normal times’ minus Covid, I’m sure that there are good deals to be had for those who prefer staying on sites than Aires.
(We normally mix sites and Aires when we are abroad).
What I can’t understand is how a charge for additionals on a pitch can be justified and what’s the difference between a car and caravan against a Motorhome and car?
I have emailed the site to ask them and will keep you posted.
If they reply and it is positive towards motorhomers, I shall name them and cover them in glory.
If they ignore my email or it’s a negative response, I’ll be the better person and not shame them.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
A couple of years ago, friends of ours booked onto Lady's Mile...when the site then told them it was extra to bring a towed car my mate (retired very senior copper) argued that he was taking up a lot less room that a 4x4, tag wheeled caravan, and massive awning, and if they insisted on charging for the toad they could kiss goodbye to the booking...the site reluctantly agreed and withdrew the extra charges.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My limited experience of sites is they charge for everything they possibly can.
Hence my reluctance to use them

The last site I was on was in oban back in 2017 ...my sister and mother were staying on it and I parked my camper outside and walked in to visit them

In the 45 minutes I was there the obnoxious warden was over at their van 3 times asking when I was leaving despite me not using any of their facilities and sitting inside their van chatting.

Ended up having a heated debate with him and asking if he would've been more suited to a prison warden job than a campsite.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I've never understood why people complain about the prices.
They are not being philanthropic and offering a service. They are a business purely and simply to make money, and as much money as they can. Nothing wrong with that.
The same with every product for sale, too expensive then don't buy it and prices would fall.
Just go somewhere else.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Just another classic example of 'rip off' Britain at its best!
Screw every last penny out of your customers and please dont give me but they are there to do just that.
Hi berni109,
I think you are missing my point.
Nobody is forcing anybody to either buy a product or stay at a campsite.
If it was an essential product then I would agree with you, but it isn't.
I stay by my previous comments, we do not have to go there if unhappy with the price.
If enough people did that then the prices would come down, as with most things.
Nothing rip off about it.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi berni109,
I stay by my previous comments, we do not have to go there if unhappy with the price.
Well it’s nearly double other nice site so it is but as you say if they pay there keep charging it

Nov 15, 2017
Chippenham, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Quad slider 5th wheeler
It’s no different for charging for a dog.

I can’t get my head around that one either.
Anyone that doesn’t clean up after their dog wants their arse kicking anyway.

I guess it’s like the Dire Straights lyrics money for nothing 🤷‍♂️
As I read this, that song was on the local radio, spooky

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is any one forcing you to pay. if not why all the winging :unsure:
Well actually in a way they are

Because if people are daft enough to pay the high prices it effectively raises the prices across the board.

I remember seeing this happen in the days when I had vw campers....they started off as cheap campers for folk to use as holidays...then you got the suit wearing yuppies who wanted the surf dude image and bought themselves an old restored splitty at way over the odds ... rinse and repeat and now the average family cant afford to buy one

Same applies to campsites ....£46a night and your average low income family cant afford to pay it

Camping was a cheap holiday .....not any more ,but more and more regulations coming in to forbid wild camping etc forcing people to use sites which keep increasing prices

So eventually it's just something else that becomes a pastime for the wealthy and out of reach for the not so wealthy 🤷‍♂️

Its easy to say " if you dont pay it they will reduce it "

But they wont ..because there is always people daft enough or just wealthy enough to not care who will pay any cost plucked out the air.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Well actually in a way they are

Because if people are daft enough to pay the high prices it effectively raises the prices across the board.

I remember seeing this happen in the days when I had vw campers....they started off as cheap campers for folk to use as holidays...then you got the suit wearing yuppies who wanted the surf dude image and bought themselves an old restored splitty at way over the odds ... rinse and repeat and now the average family cant afford to buy one

Same applies to campsites ....£46a night and your average low income family cant afford to pay it

Camping was a cheap holiday .....not any more ,but more and more regulations coming in to forbid wild camping etc forcing people to use sites which keep increasing prices

So eventually it's just something else that becomes a pastime for the wealthy and out of reach for the not so wealthy 🤷‍♂️

Its easy to say " if you dont pay it they will reduce it "

But they wont ..because there is always people daft enough or just wealthy enough to not care who will pay any cost plucked out the air.
That's a great assumption and spot on. I think you've nailed it. (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi berni109,
Hmmm as most folk cant go abroad this year and instead are being encouraged to holiday in the uk ...campsites being promoted as one of the safest options they may not be being forced but are certainly being encouraged and being given limited alternatives .

And prior to this with more and more places restricting off site parking and camping you could very well say that yes they are being forced to use sites .....or a better word would perhaps be manipulated.

As per many other discussions on here the uk lacks Aires etc so for many campsites are the only option

If you promote and create the demand then the companies providing the service see it as a way of pushing up the price

This year in particular people will pay a higher price for a lesser service ie no toilet or shower blocks .....people are rushing to book this stuff at these prices so what will happen next year ? The prices will increase yet again .

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Unfotunately GAVLAD has chosen to stay in one of the areas well noted for being a tourist rip off area here in Cornwall.

Staycation booking agencies were taking one booking every 11 seconds after St Boris :)h:) made the announcement. Reservations were up 270% on this time last year.
Cornwall was the most popular destination with 14% of the bookings, Devon with 9%.

The Locals stay away from those areas during "holiday season" some hibernate:snooze:even

If I was going to holiday in Cornwall and hire a car, it would be in a CL/CS somewhere around the Truro area.
Once the wheels were delivered, then, I would head for the Tourist Rip Off areas. Padstow, Newquay,, Port Issac, St Ives, (minor rip offs Looe, Polperro, Fowey) AND THE BIGGEST Rip Off of all time, Lands End .

Have a good holiday anyway, go to West Pentire see the sunset, or Gwithian after seeing it rise over Rame Head. Falmouth is not a bad place for a day's mooching, The QUARRY carpark has a Hoppa bus that will take you into town I think it runs every 15 mins.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Here's another for your list of dog lovers campsite, Polmanter just outside St Ives £32 per week for a dog.
What on earth do they provide for a dog that's worth paying £32.
Why don't they just say DOGS NOT WELCOME.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
All points noted and yes thinking about it I agree.
If collectively all campsites charge similar then there is no option.

Off topic but Hymer body parts are ridiculously expensive, possibly up to 10 times their true value.
Rip off prices, ( not just rip off Britain as has been stated )
Or is it?
I have this info but all I have ever owned are old Hymers, so am I actually being ripped off already knowing this ?
I could easily have purchased a different make but chose not to.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
And meanwhile here in Cornwall, the Council facilities (toilets) are still closed, and there are no Lifeguards on the beaches at the moment!

Happy holidays !

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Carnon Downs booked solid right through til November, thankfully our pitch is secure.(y) be Interesting to see how the Punch Bowl and Ladle organise their Quiz night:unsure:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Carnon Downs booked solid right through til November, thankfully our pitch is secure.(y) be Interesting to see how the Punch Bowl and Ladle organise their Quiz night:unsure:

Haven't been there since the new owners took over

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back