UK site additional charges (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You must remember we are talking about Cornwall. The Cornish, according to Devonians, are ' Robbing Dogs'. It's in their blood. Most of their ancestors were ship wreckers and looters so it follows that they are going to rob you of as much money as they can as soon as you cross the Tamar Bridge.

True oh so true! BUT! how many "CORNISH" actually own the rip off sites?

Yes! I agree!! I would never come to Cornwall for a Holiday IF! I didn't live here.

Living here gives you an insight to the working of the "Hospitality Industry" We know which businesses to avoid, these are generally the Businesses the are closed in the first of October, the owner shoot off to Spain to spend their ill gotten gains only returning the week before Easter. We know where to go for an excellent meal, at a good price , value for money. We have sat looking at a menu in a pub, the ubicquitous "Fish and Chips" £18 - £22 F *** Off!! got up and walked out

Said it before will say it again, a lot of you scruffy lot tow a toad, why go to a 5 star site? Do you think you are "pampered"? No mate! you are the cash cow! Find yourself a CL/CS "letric " and a dump, use that as your base, anywhere tween £12-£20

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Daughter No. 1 booked at a site in St Ives for late July.

They want £6 per night to use the EHU :Eeek:

That is obscene.

(And I fully endorse the comments made by rangitira five mins ago.)
You say that , but unless we know their costs. Like installation, repairs of broken bollard, electrician signing it off every year plus electric we don’t know if it’s a rip off or not.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You say that , but unless we know their costs. Like installation, repairs of broken bollard, electrician signing it off every year plus electric we don’t know if it’s a rip off or not.

We are talking July in Cornwall.
I doubt very much whether anyone could manage to spend much more than £1.
I appreciate that there are on Costs to any installation but the Law relating to the reselling of utilities has been on the statute book for more than 10yrs.

Could I point out that I have not found more than a handful of cases where a site owner has installed meters to their previously installations in that time. I wonder why. Why? It's a cash cow.

I'll leave the populace to work out why that is. It is a sham, a deception. The site owner could include the use of the EHU point within the site fee, but, to charge £6 during the Summer is undefendable.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Daughter No. 1 booked at a site in St Ives for late July.

They want £6 per night to use the EHU :Eeek:

That is obscene.

(And I fully endorse the comments made by rangitira five mins ago.)
Is that Ayr Holiday Park?
Just had a look at the prices in August for site that I love to hate.
Per night Pitch £24.50, EHU 6.75, Adult £10.50, child £5.25, Dog £4.75, So a family of 4 with a dog would be £58 per night!!! But one car is included 😀

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
As park owner I find myself surprised by the naivety of some comments . The seasons are very short and making hey while the sun shines is imperative. The notion that you are simply parking your MH on a piece of grass is short sited. Wages, cleaning, insurance, tax, Lawn mowers, strimmers, HSE, accountants, public liability etc etc. Really is NOT just a piece of grass. My new build park 50 pitches and fourteen pods has has £900000 spent in three years.. That did not include the cost of the land. Really really not just a piece of grass. Expensive, maybe. We are informed of the price prior to our arrival (I am a keen motorhomer) and base our choice on the information given, If they're empty after our choice is made then the price is too high and adjusted. I however doubt the park is empty... grumble over

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Per night Pitch £24.50, EHU 6.75, Adult £10.50, child £5.25, Dog £4.75, So a family of 4 with a dog would be £58 per night!!! But one car is included 😀

They must all be 'At it' Janine.

No it isn't Ayr Park. It's one at St Ives. Our daughter invited us but as it's out of town it's not much good to us in the current climate. We couldn't share their car, not that this Tyke, (with a Scots Mum) would cross the threshold of one that has such a regime.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We are talking July in Cornwall.
I doubt very much whether anyone could manage to spend much more than £1.
I appreciate that there are on Costs to any installation but the Law relating to the reselling of utilities has been on the statute book for more than 10yrs.

Could I point out that I have not found more than a handful of cases where a site owner has installed meters to their previously installations in that time. I wonder why. Why? It's a cash cow.

I'll leave the populace to work out why that is. It is a sham, a deception. The site owner could include the use of the EHU point within the site fee, but, to charge £6 during the Summer is undefendable.
I admit I have no idea on electric costs , on how much the air conditioning costs to run or a 3 bar heater in the awning in the evening, I guess it’s a pound then.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I stayed at Home Farm down near Brean sands, a couple of years ago, booked for a week, I took the toad, when I got there they said I had to pay £5 per night extra for it. I had already paid for the pitch and drove to it with the car in tow, someone followed me and asked me to pay for the car. Same argument, why when the pitch next to me had a caravan and a car, their answer was the caravan doesn’t have an engine. I refused and they asked me to leave, I refused to leave, and told them if they want me to go send for the police, they didn’t they asked me instead to put a £10 deposit down on another entry card for the barrier, even though I had one when I booked in. I said you’ve given me one, she said that’s for the motorhome, but I don’t move the motorhome once I’m pitched up, doesn’t matter if you have a second vehicle you have to have one for each. And does my neighbour have one for his caravan, no because it can’t drive out. The logic baffles me, and obviously I’ve never been back and would not use them again, or any other site with stupid rules like this one.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
They must all be 'At it' Janine.

No it isn't Ayr Park. It's one at St Ives. Our daughter invited us but as it's out of town it's not much good to us in the current climate. We couldn't share their car, not that this Tyke, (with a Scots Mum) would cross the threshold of one that has such a regime.
Ayr Holiday Park is in St Ives 😀

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Fer cris sake! Man ! you really have to be 1 sandwich short of a picnic to pay that!, AND St Ives?? WTF! is in SNIVES!, Seen it once? Geriatric Breton capped, Newlyn paint splattered smock wearing pipe smoking failed daubers of canvases, all that far up their own backsides they only see daylight from their own Nostrals..

Want to see a REAL Beach? Try Bude!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As park owner I find myself surprised by the naivety of some comments . The seasons are very short and making hey while the sun shines is imperative. The notion that you are simply parking your MH on a piece of grass is short sited. Wages, cleaning, insurance, tax, Lawn mowers, strimmers, HSE, accountants, public liability etc etc. Really is NOT just a piece of grass. My new build park 50 pitches and fourteen pods has has £900000 spent in three years.. That did not include the cost of the land. Really really not just a piece of grass. Expensive, maybe. We are informed of the price prior to our arrival (I am a keen motorhomer) and base our choice on the information given, If they're empty after our choice is made then the price is too high and adjusted. I however doubt the park is empty... grumble over

Grumble away Ian.

I see your are in Oban. I appreciate your season isn't as long as those in Cornwall and I further agree your season may not be as long as those on the 'Pointy Bit'.
I appreciate that it's not just a piece of grass but could I ask, Did you consider, for a scintilla, installing meters, when you put in those 50 new pitches and Pods, knowing that to resell electricity is an offence, (and I appreciate that the lawmakers at Westminster didn't consult Joe Public when they enacted the Statute but listened to the two 'Clubs'. Very naive of them.)

Did you take advice on the subject or did you you go with the flow and put a 'EHU Post' charge onto the cost of a pitch.

When one uses an ACSI site, one has, included in the overnight pitch fee, a use of 4KW per day.
That equates to less than £1 in UK Utility terms and yet, in all the times I've used those sites, I've never paid an excess fee for electricity use.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Ayr Holiday Park is in St Ives 😀

Oops? Sorry.
Didn't know. That's AT LEAST two sites that won't get my business.

As an aside, 6yrs ago when we got the 'van, Mary and me went around all the C.S's in Cornwall (with the slight exception of those in the Plymouth OS map) examining them as to their continued suitability as Club sites for the CCC.

I recall that in total we visited some 90+ 5 van sites.

Have a look at the coverage of CS's today. I think it's less than 60. I would like to think that the disappearance of those 30 sites in the meantime was due to natural wastage and retirements but I am tempted to suggest that a fair proportion of them have been converted to Licensed sites to increase the revenue of newly purchased enterprises. I doubt any of them will have meters installed.

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
We did considerer for more than a scintilla about charging for electricity but decided against it. Charging for electricity for each unit is not illegal if each and every customer is given the right to get external quotes for themselves. (thats not going to happen) You are allowed to charge but not allowed to profit. I have a 125 unit static and lodge park where the electricity bill is less than the motorhome and touring park. The consumption is unbelievable.

I was charged extra for electricity on an ACSI park in Spain. I think it was about a euro. It does happen. I didn't mind

Going with the flow with EHP was in fact one of the only alternatives. It works, some people rip the arse out of it, three bar heaters in the awning, hot water boiler on and heating left all day. "Excuse me my electrics have tripped" no s..t sherlock.

Still I wouldn't do anything else..

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sorry Ian.

You've answered your own question.
"Going with the flow with EHP was in fact one of the only alternatives. It works, some people rip the arse out of it, three bar heaters in the awning, hot water boiler on and heating left all day. "Excuse me my electrics have tripped" no s..t sherlock. "

That, (the above) would not happen if you had fitted meters.

We will have to differ, in a gentlemanly fashion.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Fer cris sake! Man ! you really have to be 1 sandwich short of a picnic to pay that!, AND St Ives?? WTF! is in SNIVES!, Seen it once? Geriatric Breton capped, Newlyn paint splattered smock wearing pipe smoking failed daubers of canvases, all that far up their own backsides they only see daylight from their own Nostrals..

Want to see a REAL Beach? Try Bude!

St Ives has an interesting New Years Eve party.

Some nice walks.

It’s ok for a couple of days 😉😊

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
St Ives has an interesting New Years Eve party.

Some nice walks.

It’s ok for a couple of days 😉😊

The Lizard has a good NYP lots of nice walks too, try the Lizard - Kynance Cove- Mullion along the Coastal path.:hugs:

And it doesn't cost you the earth to stay(y)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hello Funsters

Some of you may be aware that we’ve postponed our trip to France and Spain and have now opted for a UK holiday.
It looks like we’ve bagged the last pitch that was available for our 10 nights in August at a nice site on the outskirts of Padstow.
We’ve been before to this site, albeit a long time ago and in an old VW campervan.
Although it has its own stretch of private beach, it’s a bus or taxi ride from the centre of Padstow, so this year, our plans were to hire a car for 5 to 7 days as going out for the day in a near 9m Motorhome may be a little different to a 1974 VW on country lanes in Cornwall.
I’m currently trying to find an ‘affordable’ hire car and preferably to collect in Padstow rather than to trail to Newquay airport to collect.
What has surprised me is upon reading the campsites rules, they charge £5 per night extra for an additional car.
Additional cars must be parked within your pitch boundary.

So why charge extra?
I could understand it if it was to be parked in their car park, but if you are paying for the pitch, shouldn’t it matter what you fill that pitch with?

Incidentally, they also charge for gazebos. (Not that we are taking one) Again, if it goes on your pitch, why charge extra?
They don’t allow group bookings, so that cancels out the scenario of loads of cars relating to one group on a pitch.

So a car and caravan don’t get charged, but a Motorhome with car does.
Yet a car, tent and trailer is ok.
I don’t understand this.

So my little run around car hire will cost an extra £35 before we’ve even started.

BTW, we are paying £46.00 per night for the 10night stay for the pitch with electric, 2 adults & 1 child.
Any ideas what the thought process is behind additional charges on sites?
£460.00 for 10 nights!! You must be joking. I won't say more fool you for paying it as it's a case of each to their own.....
I would NEVER stay there even if I had unlimited money, that is just Pure GREEED and nothing else, and there are plenty of other sites out there that charge it because they know that there are plenty of people like you who will pay it, this has always been my argument too As you pay for your pitch you're no different towing a car than a car that's towing a caravan, there is just No Way that they can justify it, same applies to the gazebo. If you haven't paid up yet I would tell them what to do with their prices cos I really can't see how any site can justify £46 per night anyway.
I'm prepared for the backlash and slagging off I'll get by the dedicated campsite brigad e that I always get from other Funsters but there you go.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Site I am on charges £3 per night for an extra car - first one is free. I agree what’s the difference to a caravan and a car but I surpose it’s their site and they can charge what they want - £5 is a lot tho.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The Lizard has a good NYP lots of nice walks too, try the Lizard - Kynance Cove- Mullion along the Coastal path.:hugs:

And it doesn't cost you the earth to stay(y)

Thanks for that

Might well try that this year.

Guess you have to prebook rangitira

Thanks

edit I’m happy to pay the Rugby club for staying there.
The bloke that looks after the car park is old school 👍😊

edit 2 do you recommend any particular site 😊

Last edited:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Site I am on charges £3 per night for an extra car - first one is free. I agree what’s the difference to a caravan and a car but I surpose it’s their site and they can charge what they want - £5 is a lot tho.
I can't agree with any extra charge whatever the amount for a towed car because there is simply No justification whatsoever for it
other than Pure GREEEED.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The west country seems to work on the supply and demand ethos, they will always fill the sites, like you said, you got the last pitch. What annoys me is things that seemed to start there, like charging for dogs seem to then spread rapidly to other areas. It's not like dogs use the toilets and showers and you are supposed to make it like they've never been there.
At least they have to make provision for dogs. There's signage & bin emptying at least and many sites provide a dog walk within the site itself. None of the above apply to a car. I've only been asked to pay on one occasion (on a CL as it happens) for the car. My wife gave the site owner a verbal slap and she relented and we didn't have to pay.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
I don't think £46 a night, in August, in what must be one of the most expensive localities in the UK, for a family, is overly expensive. That's £322 for 7 night holiday. I'd be surprised if you could find a much cheaper holiday than that in August in England.
Yes but you are providing your own accommodation all the site are providing is a Square patch of grass, you've brought your own toilet facilities etc, there is no way of denying the fact that you are just being ripped off again.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
At least they have to make provision for dogs. There's signage & bin emptying at least and many sites provide a dog walk within the site itself. None of the above apply to a car. I've only been asked to pay on one occasion (on a CL as it happens) for the car. My wife gave the site owner a verbal slap and she relented and we didn't have to pay.
It's a pity more people didn't do this, because I'm sure that some site owners think that because you've not complained or voiced a opinion directly to them, they must think you are content to be ripped off.
Nobody is forcing me to pay my little sweetie
If you’d care to read my original post, I’ve explained that I’m happy to pay the £46 per night.
What I can’t understand is what’s the difference between a car & caravan to a motorhome & car on a pitch and why there’s an additional charge applicable to one - us, the motorhoming family and not the other.
It’s not a case of stop whinging as you put it. I thought it is a forum, so I’ve asked the question.
But thanks for your helpful contribution.
ⁿHi Gavlad,
I agree with your post almost entirely, but I can't see why you or anyone else for that matter would be happy to pay £46 a night,
GAVLAD said:
Nobody is forcing me to pay my little sweetie
If you’d care to read my original post, I’ve explained that I’m happy to pay the £46 per night.
What I can’t understand is what’s the difference between a car & caravan to a motorhome & car on a pitch and why there’s an additional charge applicable to one - us, the motorhoming family and not the other.
It’s not a case of stop whinging as you put it. I thought it is a forum, so I’ve asked the question.
But thanks for your helpful contribution.
Whilst I agree with your post ALMOST entirely I can't quite work out that if you're quite happy to pay £46 a night
(I wouldn't be and I'm sure most people feel the same) why you would be unhappy to pa "amere" £5 extra for your car,( which I certainly disagree with) and as regards getting unhelpful replies to something you post, welcome to the real world, cos I like many others are reluctant to post or reply on here, because you will be subjected to a barrage of responses trying to belittle a d ridicule you as I have found there are a lot of real nice helpful and knowledge-
-able Funsters on here, but there are a few nasties too. Just saying.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Not as expensive as playa Montroig.

front line pitches start around €143 a night, but you can add cars, 6 adults, plus 4 children etc. Bringing it up to around €222 per night .

BC15E4C0-C1C6-4476-A651-2C1209DA3A13.png
C5A865A5-E3DA-4928-9166-4F4F75591BD5.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back