UK site additional charges (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Haven't been there since the new owners took over

Crikey Simon has been there a few years, Chris my wife is a Falmouth girl so it's really handy for visiting relatives, plus Truro is just a few minutes up the road, park in Tescos and the Pannier Market is a short walk, fantastic local butcher, produce is excellent.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Crikey Simon has been there a few years, Chris my wife is a Falmouth girl so it's really handy for visiting relatives, plus Truro is just a few minutes up the road, park in Tescos and the Pannier Market is a short walk, fantastic local butcher, produce is excellent.

Chris was he the ex copper? Great host!, went there on the first day the newbies took over, wasn't a good experience, but it was their first so made a massive allowance for that.
Unfortunately due to all sorts of medical probs and this bloody CV19 haven't been back so! if you go would appreciate a "knock up!"

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
BTW, we are paying Ā£46.00 per night for the 10night stay for the pitch with electric, 2 adults & 1 child.
Any ideas what the thought process is behind additional charges on sites?
Greed, trying to recoup what has been lost, folk are willing to pay.
we always take the car and motorhome and awning when we take the grandchildren. argued the toss at one campsite when they wanted us to pay for the car, there was a humungous caravan and a massive awning on the next pitch along with their 4x4 asked how much they paid to park the car there. Did manage to get to park without paying in the end, but would have had no choice otherwise, it hadn't been stated in the terms think that was the winner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Here's another for your list of dog lovers campsite, Polmanter just outside St Ives Ā£32 per week for a dog.
What on earth do they provide for a dog that's worth paying Ā£32.
Why don't they just say DOGS NOT WELCOME.
Some sites abroad charge for dogs but not that much and you often get a dog shower, dog bath and often washing machines for dog bedding.
Do you get that for your Ā£32?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
All points noted and yes thinking about it I agree.
If collectively all campsites charge similar then there is no option.

Off topic but Hymer body parts are ridiculously expensive, possibly up to 10 times their true value.
Rip off prices, ( not just rip off Britain as has been stated )
Or is it?
I have this info but all I have ever owned are old Hymers, so am I actually being ripped off already knowing this ?
I could easily have purchased a different make but chose not to.
Yes but even dearer in rip off Britain, needed a rear light for my last Hymer. UK Ā£160, bought one in France for Ā£96.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
And what annoys me is when , on the rare occasion we use a site , caravaners often Park their car on the grass.
Not the gravel bit. As theyā€™ve a big awning out on that bit .
So we often have Someoneā€™s car on ā€œourā€ grass bit.
I hope you ask then to move it.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
I don't think Ā£46 a night, in August, in what must be one of the most expensive localities in the UK, for a family, is overly expensive. That's Ā£322 for 7 night holiday. I'd be surprised if you could find a much cheaper holiday than that in August in England.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't think Ā£46 a night, in August, in what must be one of the most expensive localities in the UK, for a family, is overly expensive. That's Ā£322 for 7 night holiday. I'd be surprised if you could find a much cheaper holiday than that in August in England.
Well actually its Ā£322 to park your van for 7 nights....the actual holiday costs a lot more.

And wasn't it just for 2 adults?
Kids would be extra

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Well actually its Ā£322 to park your van for 7 nights....the actual holiday costs a lot more.

And wasn't it just for 2 adults?
Kids would be extra
I think they had a child with them. Get what you're saying, but I count that as a holiday, not parking. If I rent a holiday cottage or static or caravan for a week in August it would cost an awful lot more than that, at least double, and you're still only paying for a base, you've still got the holiday spending on top, that's all I'm saying.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Ā£46 a night? Thatā€™s into bed and breakfast territory for the honor of parking on someone elseā€™s land. Far too expensive Iā€™m afraid.
Can you tell me where in Cornwall, this August, that you can get Bed, never mind breakfast, for Ā£46 night for 2 šŸ‘šŸ‘ Put me down for a weekšŸ˜‚

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Is any one forcing you to pay. if not why all the winging :unsure:
Nobody is forcing me to pay my little sweetie
If youā€™d care to read my original post, Iā€™ve explained that Iā€™m happy to pay the Ā£46 per night.
What I canā€™t understand is whatā€™s the difference between a car & caravan to a motorhome & car on a pitch and why thereā€™s an additional charge applicable to one - us, the motorhoming family and not the other.
Itā€™s not a case of stop whinging as you put it. I thought it is a forum, so Iā€™ve asked the question.
But thanks for your helpful contribution.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
If youā€™d care to read my original post, Iā€™ve explained that Iā€™m happy to pay the Ā£46 per night.
What I canā€™t understand is whatā€™s the difference between a car & caravan to a motorhome & car on a pitch and why thereā€™s an additional charge applicable to one - us, the motorhoming family and not the other.
Itā€™s not a case of stop whinging as you put it. I thought it is a forum, so Iā€™ve asked the question.
Depends on the site, but I always thought the first car was included
The only time I had any different was a site politely asked me would I park the TOAD on the visitor car park as I had booked one of their smaller pitches

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Everyone I hear rip off Britain I think the person saying that thinks everyone else is ripping them off so in effect is earning more than they should but they think they are being or were paid a fair wage. That means either they are or were stupid enough to work for a much lower wage than they could or grossly overvalue their own worth so are being overpaid.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Some sites abroad charge for dogs but not that much and you often get a dog shower, dog bath and often washing machines for dog bedding.
Do you get that for your Ā£32?

Yes, our dog loves the sites in Spain with the dog washes! šŸ¶

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Yes read your post but you have a choice you seem happy to pay that amount I also tow a car never been asked to pay extra for it and always park it on pitch. If I was I would go elsewhere. I have a pitch on an adult only site from 4th July Ā£24 a night same price 365 days a year some will say thatā€™s a lot as you I am very happy with that price. And car on pitch.water, electric on pitch and fishing lake about 25 ft behind van heaven. Enjoy your holiday.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm a newbie
Its just a simple question of Supply and Demand. The Coastal sites in Cornwall are in such demand during the brief Summer period they can charge what they like. If you dont like don't go. I think there may be a market for an AirB&B type App/System where Cornish folk rent their drives out to visiting MHs to make a few quid.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Everyone I hear rip off Britain I think the person saying that thinks everyone else is ripping them off so in effect is earning more than they should but they think they are being or were paid a fair wage. That means either they are or were stupid enough to work for a much lower wage than they could or grossly overvalue their own worth so are being overpaid.
A little harsh. If there is an over supply of something the price drops, the same for services and labour.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Cornwall is expensive. I went down for a family funeral about 10 years ago with my two kids and we stayed in one room at a motel, it cost me Ā£170+ for two nights - in early February.

Dread to think what they are charging for a room now in summer.

May 7, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hello Funsters

Some of you may be aware that weā€™ve postponed our trip to France and Spain and have now opted for a UK holiday.
It looks like weā€™ve bagged the last pitch that was available for our 10 nights in August at a nice site on the outskirts of Padstow.
Weā€™ve been before to this site, albeit a long time ago and in an old VW campervan.
Although it has its own stretch of private beach, itā€™s a bus or taxi ride from the centre of Padstow, so this year, our plans were to hire a car for 5 to 7 days as going out for the day in a near 9m Motorhome may be a little different to a 1974 VW on country lanes in Cornwall.
Iā€™m currently trying to find an ā€˜affordableā€™ hire car and preferably to collect in Padstow rather than to trail to Newquay airport to collect.
What has surprised me is upon reading the campsites rules, they charge Ā£5 per night extra for an additional car.
Additional cars must be parked within your pitch boundary.

So why charge extra?
I could understand it if it was to be parked in their car park, but if you are paying for the pitch, shouldnā€™t it matter what you fill that pitch with?

Incidentally, they also charge for gazebos. (Not that we are taking one) Again, if it goes on your pitch, why charge extra?
They donā€™t allow group bookings, so that cancels out the scenario of loads of cars relating to one group on a pitch.

So a car and caravan donā€™t get charged, but a Motorhome with car does.
Yet a car, tent and trailer is ok.
I donā€™t understand this.

So my little run around car hire will cost an extra Ā£35 before weā€™ve even started.

BTW, we are paying Ā£46.00 per night for the 10night stay for the pitch with electric, 2 adults & 1 child.
Any ideas what the thought process is behind additional charges on sites?

May 7, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You must remember we are talking about Cornwall. The Cornish, according to Devonians, are ' Robbing Dogs'. It's in their blood. Most of their ancestors were ship wreckers and looters so it follows that they are going to rob you of as much money as they can as soon as you cross the Tamar Bridge.

simbadog

Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
You must remember we are talking about Cornwall. The Cornish, according to Devonians, are ' Robbing Dogs'. It's in their blood. Most of their ancestors were ship wreckers and looters so it follows that they are going to rob you of as much money as they can as soon as you cross the Tamar Bridge.

Tiz true, plus they put the Jam on scones before the cream! :Eeek:

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Some sites charge for everything extra.
You see the initial price then realise itā€™s just for 1 adult and your van then they charge per extra persons, dog, awning, gazebo or extra vehicle.
Some just charge for the van and up to so many people

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
It may be a while before prices settle, this year will be very busy and very expensive for those that want to book now. I booked pre virus and paid in full for my 2 weeks and have been waiting for the email to cancel, hopefully that won't happen now.
I heard on the radio this week about people that have had cottages etc. booked and paid deposits, only to have been gazumped and had their bookings cancelled. They can command mediterranean prices this year due to the worried holiday makers that have their usual holidays cancelled.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A little harsh. If there is an over supply of something the price drops, the same for services and labour.
I agree my point being if things are expensive and people are making a lot out of them the market tends to correct things as more people decide to do that for a living. In my experience people who complain of "rip off Britain" aren't talking about one thing but absolutely everything apart from where they are in the economy!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That means either they are or were stupid enough to work for a much lower wage than they could
Or honest enough to charge a fair amount to earn a good living without taking the piss,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like I did.
charging around 30% of the average hourly rate. When I stopped working for a company I'd contracted to for 20 years .they had to contract permenantly, 2 different companies each supplying 1 person to cover the work I used to do & at 5 times the hourly rate I charged. then they had to pay enhanced rates for evenings & weekends + call out charges.

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold šŸ˜Ÿ
Exp
1990-2023
Well I live not far away and I think Cornwall charge extortionate prices. Maybe they are trying to make up their losses but not the best way.

Personally I wouldnā€™t pay Ā£46 a night ANYWHERE but you are happy so enough said. I would go back and suggest you might be happier to get it free or at least 50%. Nothing asked nothing gained

it should be free.

I hasten to add yes 9m is not easy in Cornwall. We have 7.5m and we donā€™t stay here in summer we become someone elseā€™s tourists. (We will be going to Yorkshire!)

Have a good time in rip off Cornwall

Feb 4, 2010
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Home and abroad since 2005
If you donā€™t want to pay for a campsite just do as lorries do. Find a layby and away you go. How often do you see lorries parked in Lay-bys or off road parking. If youā€™ve got onboard facilities you could perhaps wild camp/park overnight for one night then use a campsite, thereby reducing charges by 50%. Makes sense to me. Unless you want full facilities, which I donā€™t understand as most motorhomes are self contained. Who wants to use washing facilities, used by goodness knows who, when you have on board facilities?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back