Touring the UK? - you deserve a medal !

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Barclaybasher, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Ratings:
    +12,860
    ......you don't need those warnings in France..;)

I am fortunate(?) to own 2 elderly MHs............a 5.5m Eribacar and a 7.5m A class

The Eribacar is easy to park and I use it as a daily driver, the A class is a pain to park in the UK but a joy in France and Spain where space is not a problem......

2. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Ratings:
    +12,860
    I do more than 100 miles a week...........but don't call it touring

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. RedFrame

RedFrame Funster

Ratings:
    +219
    Quite happy for southerner's, that prefer the easy option, to keep going south and leave the UK's North to those that appreciate it... (y)

Cheers
    Red and Bannock

• Like it Like it x 4
  4. mfw

mfw Funster

Ratings:
    +363
    You get traffic jams in france and the road by madrid if going through centre of spain that can be a total nightmare as well

5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +26,162
    B8E68C4E-FF58-4A6B-8EAB-A70AC7E8CAD7.jpeg 1328F62C-115D-4210-8299-937E910E40E4.jpeg 8E4932E3-2C2F-499A-99FF-EC47235DFA60.jpeg 0EFE0954-50BC-41A1-B75B-6712D05B00CC.jpeg A5EDAC96-8C37-487F-8A18-1D39C2D5B5CD.jpeg These are the things enjoy from the uk don’t need a medal

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Love it Love it x 2
  6. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Ratings:
    +4,925
    In 39 years of driving I've covered more than 1.5 million miles, I simply don't feel the need to spend my holiday time adding large amounts to that. I'm happy to tour in the uk, whether that be doing 100 miles in a month or 100 miles in a day matters not, it's still touring.

D.

• Like it Like it x 3
  7. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Ratings:
    +12,860
    • Like it Like it x 2
  8. Kirsten

Kirsten Funster

Ratings:
    +513
    Surely the point is you are in your beloved cosy motorhome and not at work? I love going to France and shlepping about the UK- find French roads on the whole better than uk- easier signage and less pot holes - but go slower miss the bumps wherever. Not keen on campsites due to regimented rows but have wild camped in many places ( ok some call it parking) and frequented small sites here and in France. But always happy in the motorhome !

• Like it Like it x 5
  9. busby

busby Funster

Ratings:
    +6,056
    Dont
    Dont
    think anyone said can't,,i didn't anyway,,Just said touring was so much easier in Europe,,well the parts of Europe i have toured 6 months a year over the last 18 years,,Can hardly remember ever getting held up until we arrive back in UK,,BUSBY,,

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +32,209
    Peage tailback.. :whistle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dover traffic delays

[​IMG]

• Like it Like it x 2
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +19,981
    Don't use toll roads and never had a traffic delay at Dover in 39 years.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Tanya_and_Mick

Tanya_and_Mick Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,692
    On the topic of UK vs. wider European roads:

Considering a sample of the UK Infrastructure (M'way's, A and B roads) over a ten year period, in conjunction with memories of childhood holidays and the expereince of travelling with work. I would say these journeys were typically planned to consider, public holidays, Fridays, Monday Morning, what sporting events were on and where; plus, any other thoughts of how our journey time would be impacted.

We have only recently started to travel by road to Spain via the tunnel. We do plan, as we have dogs and take timely breaks and swap driving - but only on 12 months experience the planning for us is different than planning a UK trip.

Better vs worse - I'd say just different.

• Like it Like it x 2
  13. Basildog

Basildog Funster

Ratings:
    +719
    I have never actually managed to sort this planning thing that others seem to do (y)
    I blame my mates old dad he was a total tosser and a rogue but good fun , I went on my first European trip with him at age 19 after my mate was killed I said I would go with him as he needed the encouragement to get back into life , he was a seasoned traveler for business and pleasure the old bugger would go for n standby at Dover then swap windscreen cards from someone who was in the toilets/cafe (y)
    Anyway after many a trip away with him all over Europe I am now that tosser who plans nothing, will take any old crap vehicle and really don't give a monkeys, haven't been over for a while but there won't be a plan as sadly I don't know any responsible adults who could help with it (y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,514
    The only planning we do for travelling is to miss Lille around rush hour, we can now include Antwerp and Brussels having been caught there recently, after 7 years of europe, mostly France, I am struggling to remember another big queue. I am sure there have been a couple. I dont count the one for a tunnel that had to have traffic lights on 15 minute turnaround where we just got the ice creams out.
    The one thing we do notice in our 90 mile journey back from Folkestone (via M25 A3 is we plan that to make sure we miss rush hour but still get caught at least once on the way back) is the amount of sirens. 90 miles of road and we will hear maybe 4 sets of sirens whereas we have hardly heard any in the previous month.
    We used to do Cornwall and turn the radio on every saturday morning to hear the length of the queue which probably averaged 20 miles.
    I just think the UK needs a tad more planning, is quite a bit more hectic and more expensive. But thats just me (and the wife).
    The minus side of europe is the occasional tourist tax you get when your beer bill turns up. The cost of beer in france versus everywhere else, the french riviera is manic and certainly no better than Cornwall for travelling and how big the place is, you still have to remember that it takes a long time to get to the South of France but i suspect it will take me about the same time to get to the Highlands. In fact i just googled it and 3 hours less (including tunnel) to get to john o groats versus montpellier without tolls.
    Based on all that for us, Europe pretty much every time.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +7,551
    There's two-thirds of the UK that hasn't featured in this discussion. I'm not surprised travel is a little crowded down there in the remainder :D.

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,807
    I agree with some of what you say Jim but we go to France once a year for about 6 weeks (got back 10 days ago from a 5 week trip using 11 sites) had no trouble finding sites (we usually try to use municipal sites as they are well kept and good value and often close to shops, bars, restaurants etc.) never booked in advance just turned up & stayed as long as we wanted and paid when we left often in the afternoon - a great arrangement - unlike the UK - pay up front and be off with you by 11 am at the latest!

We do avoid France between 10th July and 25th August though!! too busy!

As to the NC 500 we have travelled parts of it often long before the concept existed and indeed every year since its inception, again it is best to avoid it in the school Summer holidays but outside those times there is normally room on all but the busiest of sites. We plan to spend 6 weeks or so touring round the North of Scotland this year starting at the end of August (weather permitting!!) and as I hail from Portmahomack in Ross-shire and will certainly visit there and in fact most of the NC 500 is where we will travel except on the way back when we intend to miss out Skye and catch MacBraynes ferry from Ullapool to Stornaway and meander down through Lewis,Harris the Uists etc. and end up in Oban again courtesy of MacBraynes, then head for home (Hampshire) (y)

You know the MacBraynes mantra on Scotland?;)

The Lord God made this fair land and all that it contains
    Except for the Western Isles Because they're MacBraynes!:)

• Like it Like it x 2
  17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +19,981
    Never noticed that road in Dover with signs to Paris & Lyon.:D

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  18. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Ratings:
    +10,926
    Never use tolls.....

The real French roads....

1DE11092-827A-4DEC-85F9-1CF2C72C25FA.jpeg 53C455BD-286F-4B3E-B012-55F0CB1B618B.jpeg

We can all find photos to fit our view....;)

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +38,180
    You should go to Germany, half the motorways are being upgraded with stupendous queues.

• Like it Like it x 2
  20. JJ

JJ Funster

Ratings:
    +40,183
    I go by tunnel... it gets me out of Blighty quicker. (y)

JJ :cool:

• Like it Like it x 3