Touring the UK? - you deserve a medal ! (1 Viewer)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Sorry, but if you have never been abroad

Alps, ardeche, Pyrénées, Massif Central......nothing in the UK comes anywhere close to the grandeur, France also has all the pretty little bits that the UK has .............but without the crowds .

Yes, (love the Alps but I've never been to Ardeche) I agree the above are great places but so are the remote Scottish Highlands, particularly the Outer Hebrides with even less crowds :)

By the way what makes you think that I have never been abroad?? :confused:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
The ‘sorry but if you have never been abroad’ is someone else’s post that somehow got transposed.....oops.
Yep , loads of great places in the UK but there’s no getting away from how spectacular the Alps , Ardeche etc are. You really should get to the Ardeche, the camping is a bit pricey......wild camping anyone?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
for any one who says they have no interest in going even to france dont really know what they are missing, just going to a meeting or touring in a caravan is in no way akin to being on the open road in a motorhome, just pull up any where you like mostly free, you cant just bottom the difference between there and here, believe me i was as bad as anyone , always said there is plenty in the uk till i was 55 but then once i had been for the last 15 years i just dont want to be bothered to get loaded up to travel uk to get ripped off at every turn.

Fully agree,,,BUSBY,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Compared with Europe how does the UK compare?

Roads - here full of potholes, sunken manhole covers............Europe, most roads smooth

Traffic - here, so much congestion........... Europe, apart from big cities, roads are quiet

Where to stay - here, sites and CLs..........Europe, sites, Aires in most towns and villages

In France for example you can enjoy driving at almost anytime of the day or any day of the week......

Here you have to plan your journeys to avoid rush hours and roadworks

Travelling in France and Spain is a joy, the UK is a pain, needs so much more planning

Could not agree more, a few great places to see and stay at https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/jasmin-camping-ii.180120/

Its is getting there and back.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I came back last year,arrived 1st July,took me nearly 5 hrs to get to London,normal drive 1 1/2hr,weather unlike this year was crap, everywhere we went,a hr journey took 3,nowhere to park,unless you wanna pay a ransom,also,where are you supposed to dump your bins,you can't use someone else's,all you find is a small bin by a layby,and wonder why they are full

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
I have toured the UK,and yes there are beautiful places,if you can see anything thriugh the rain

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I came back last year,arrived 1st July,took me nearly 5 hrs to get to London,normal drive 1 1/2hr,weather unlike this year was crap, everywhere we went,a hr journey took 3,nowhere to park,unless you wanna pay a ransom,also,where are you supposed to dump your bins,you can't use someone else's,all you find is a small bin by a layby,and wonder why they are full

I have toured the UK,and yes there are beautiful places,if you can see anything thriugh the rain
yeah this is all true and for anyone who hasnt sampled motorhoming in europe they accept uk roads as the norm, untill you have been to france or beyond you cannot know the difference.
once sampled uk is out the window(y)

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Yes but,I still find Belgium roads on a par with UK,prob prob because I had a blow out there,

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Yes,here you can park most places (respectfully).large rubbish bins,about every 500mtrs,sun if course,no rip off here,even campsites,in the peak,don't charge like UK,and travelling is a dream,but Aircon imho,us a must

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
lovely relaxing fortnight tour in the UK covering around four hundred miles.
I'll take my medal now please.
:LOL:
If I want to get anywhere in the UK I set off at the crack of dawn or weekends when there are few trucks and less traffic in general....
Ialways arrange to arrive a day early now.:(

Deleted User
On the topic of UK roads and congestion, especially on our overcrowded motorways, how many, especially those that advocate using bye roads in France etc as opposed to the toll autoroutes, do the same in the UK and avoid the motorways.

For many years now I have done just this, especially on our route north from Portsmouth and taken in some superb British countryside.

Anyone in the North that uses the Eastern channel ports to save a few bob deserves everything they get on the M25:D

Deleted User
no rip off here,even campsites,in the peak,don't charge like UK,

In Spain, you must be joking!

Playa Tropicana.....high season from €51.50 to €63.50 for 2 people with electric depending on size of pitch.

Camping Kims.......€53

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Just back from an 1100 mile month long trip via Hampshire, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Brecon Beacons, Shropshire and back home to Little Thornton. Planned the times and days carefully and had a trouble free trip. It’s bad most places if you get your timing wrong. Have to say the UK with this weather was an absolute pleasure. Shame it’ll probably be another 42 years before we get another summer like this one!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Notice how all the “ isnt-going-to-France-the-best-sodding-thing-in-the-world” brigade have gone chunnel-mute this week with Zero comments on this thread since Tuesday

Just saying

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Notice how all the “ isnt-going-to-France-the-best-sodding-thing-in-the-world” brigade have gone chunnel-mute this week with Zero comments on this thread since Tuesday
Just saying

The Tunnel isn't the only way to get out of this Country plagued by traffic jams and congestion......M1, M6.....and so many more........anyone that thinks that they can travel in the UK without problems drives at night or weekends;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Just saying
been traveling on the tunnel 8 years now only once been delayed for an hour , most other times on an earlier train for no extra.
didnt realise it was a competicion to state the bloody obvious.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Not a competition Mr Prickly, just saying that its gone quiet on the GB bashing front since the French farmers disrupted the bore de france and the chunnel melted.....

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
The Tunnel isn't the only way to get out of this Country plagued by traffic jams and congestion......M1, M6.....and so many more........anyone that thinks that they can travel in the UK without problems drives at night or weekends;)
I dont think uk travel is “without problems”, just the moaners have gone quiet.....perhaps they have all buggered off across the water

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I dont think uk travel is “without problems”, just the moaners have gone quiet.....perhaps they have all buggered off across the water

I have a wedding to attend on Monday 12.30, I'm going in my van from Derby to the North East - 2 -3 hours M1/A1 (according to AA Routefinder).........could go early Monday ............no chance....I'm going tomorrow and staying over.....next month I'm going on holiday........ buggering off over the water(y);)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have a wedding to attend on Monday 12.30, I'm going in my van from Derby to the North East - 2 -3 hours M1/A1 (according to AA Routefinder).........could go early Monday ............no chance....I'm going tomorrow and staying over.....next month I'm going on holiday........ buggering off over the water(y);)

Same here,,going to Scarborough for next weekend,,,just in case will travel up on thurs to be safe,,,,BUSBY,,

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
‘without problems, ‘ha,ha,ha,ha,ha.
No, I’ve not gone quiet, just catching up with the boring domestic stuff in traffic choked uk before another liberating European adventure....just saying, lol.

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I prefer to avoid UK and France.

UK. Poor roads, congestion, expensive campsites, cannot be spontaneous at busy times, not family friendly (full of child haters, where else in Europe has adult only sites?), poor food if eating out.

France. Expensive if using Autoroutes, always find food hit and miss, beer not very good, music taste is a bit questionable! Saying that I do like the wine, patisseries, and the ease of just stopping where you feel like.

Personal preference, but I prefer to be south or east of France.

Best country we've been in our van. Romania.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Get off your high horse pal, no one's moaning, just commenting on how crowded UK roads are compared to (say) traveling in France..

What's happening at the Eurotunnel doesn't change things at all....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back