Too Wet for Road Bikes (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
...so took the new MTB for a play down the Cheshire Lines.

The Cheshire Lines are an abandoned railway line converted to cycling and walking path. Only the last 6 days it has rained and Thursday night it froze. So today was quite muddy! Where have you been lately?

Chishire Lines.jpg

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
...so took the new MTB for a play down the Cheshire Lines.

The Cheshire Lines are an abandoned railway line converted to cycling and walking path. Only the last 6 days it has rained and Thursday night it froze. So today was quite muddy! Where have you been lately?

View attachment 456952
Do you have a bell to warn cyclists? serious question as none of them near us are capable of that small thing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
What makes it worse he has a prosthetic leg so it alters his balance quite a lot (especially when we are mountain biking over the rough stuff ) He does very well though when he isn't falling off. We are going to do the coast to coast (off road) in late April if restrictions have eased any and its safe to do so.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It’s tooo muddy here even for a mountain bike. Everywhere is or was under water. These days I’m spending more time cleaning than riding.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The problem is your in the UK, 😉 in Spain professional cycling teams from all over Europe practice every winter, we have electric hybrid bikes and living at almost sea level its uphill most of the time, today was from home arenal Javea up Cumbre Del Sol . 🙂

20210116_132545.jpg

Janie and Izzy first time up on the bike for them, 😁 spectacular views well worth the effort. 🙂 25km 442m👍 Bob.

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My friend asked me to go for a ride yesterday but i declined saying it was a little too icy, nonsense he replied we will be fine. This was him relaxing on the tarmac later that day :LOL:View attachment 456965
I've got to ask.... How is the bike?

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Do you have a bell to warn cyclists? serious question as none of them near us are capable of that small thing.

Of course.... All new bikes come with a bell in the UK.

Where we ride includes a lot of shared paths so a bell is fairly essential.

...and there it is on my gravel bike.
1610875551805563093715.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
What makes it worse he has a prosthetic leg so it alters his balance quite a lot (especially when we are mountain biking over the rough stuff ) He does very well though when he isn't falling off. We are going to do the coast to coast (off road) in late April if restrictions have eased any and its safe to do so.
If it's the Southport/Hull watch for the linear cracks in the paving on the way into Selby. They costume a shoulder and several months of pain.
Phil
P.S. and I scratched my offside fork leg.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I just shout, very, very loud. 😠
Phil
🤪
But did you take the bell off?
I think laws about manufacturers and bike shops being obliged to fit a bell on new bikes changed.
To them not having to. 🤔

I always have a bell. Most Lots of pedestrians wear headphones though 🤷‍♂️
Anyway, stay on topic 🥴

I’m on MTB today, it’s still damp & my mate only has an MTB
Which he rarely takes off road 🤬
He should’ve heeded my advice & got a hybrid.

edit: it’s the new cycle path between Hermitage & Hampstead Norreys that’s the focus of my ~24km local ride

Bikevanhappy

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3yrs
The top of Alpe du Zwift nice one. Managed the actual Mont Ventoux summer before last but have not completed this route yet.

Cheers, that was the Ven Top route. We did the real Ventoux in the summer. It's easier on Zwift although you don't get the views.

I'm struggling with a lack of motivation to get fit and get outside to ride, so kudos to those of you who have made the effort.

Looking forward to summer.

PSX_20200905_233239.jpg

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
I've got to ask.... How is the bike?
Ok with just a touch of road rash like its owner :LOL:
Its a new gravel bike (Electric) The motor is not as big as you would find on a emtb but when he switches it on it just helps him up the steeper gradients. Most of the time he rides with it off. He lost his leg in an accident 20 years ago when a Range Rover pulled out to overtake on a country lane and did not see Lee coming the other way on his bike. Unfortunately he went under the front and out the back but minus his leg ! He's a lucky lad to still be here but does not let having only one leg hold him back from doing anything.
8b1syB9aQV+xPZ%w9ffRZA.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Only able to ride around the roads at the moment where we are but the recent flooding and tractor movements have made for a lot of mud. Lots of walkers and horses about but don’t need a bell - the tyres make enough noise. That and my little boys none stop gassing.
This is mine after 10m ride this morning.
« Mud guard » crafted from some inner tube and zip ties to prevent mud (or worse) in the eye.

3AE18B51-F61D-41AF-A84C-DF34CF1FEB20.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back