The most Useless purchase for a MoHo (3 Viewers)

Deleted User
What not even with an inverter!
not even with EHU! To be fair probably more down to my lack of cooking skills, everything always comes out too runny no matter how little water i put in to begin with. I then spend ages trying to thicken it afterwards with flour or cornflour to the point the whole thing tastes like flour.
I'd rather just make a sandwich now lol!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Interesting the stuff that is useless for one motorhomer is ideal for another.

Cloth drainer mat - perfect for me - no space to store some collapsible drainer thing, cloth mat sits on the glass cover on the hob when I do a tad of washing up, tucks out of the way if I do cook, and acts as padding whilst travelling between said cooker hob and cover.

Colapze watering can - absolutely ideal for topping up the only 60l capacity tank when on sites rather than keep driving the van round to a watering point and faffing with a hose. The watering can is far quicker and needs to be collapsible as I have limited storage. It only leaks if you don't fit the spout properly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've been reading this thread and have had several thinks and can't recall purchasing anything useless. Perhaps that little plastic guard thing that goes in the plug hole to stop lumps of food going down... Waste of a quid! 😤

Last edited:

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
Drive away awning. We're full time in the van, wifey was insistent on buying one last year, it's never been used. It takes up a huge amount of storage space along with it's grounsheet protector and floor blanket thing. We'll be back in the UK in May if anybody want's one.

Other stuff that's taking up space, a pair of levelling ramps. Some people seem to level the van if it's more than half a degree off, we never bother. If anyone wants some brand new Milenco Quattro's, as above we'll be back in May.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Setting off down to Croatia in 2018, somewhere in France, OH bought the biggest bag of frozen peas I'd ever seen. Took up about a third of available freezer space. Apparently they were essential for the trip.
Coming back through Germany, I realized we'd still got them - unopened 🤬🤬🤬
I think it was a ploy to stop me buying ice cream.
I fed them to some ducks in the Black Forest 😊😊😊

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
The garage of our Hymer is full to the gunnels with useless crap that we thought we would need….having a clear out in the next couple of weeks but might need a large skip….most useless of them all, plastic wine glasses, changed to glass after first time we drank from them.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
For me as an aspiring campervan owner I think I will pass on the infiniti pool!:giggle:
We have one on the roof in wet weather, empty it each time we brake🌊🏄‍♂️

Bought a flat blue hose -Twin core run through so not an expanding one.
The flow through is that slow filling have replaced with a normal expanding one, 4 times the flow rate.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Collapsible drainer - we used to use it a lot, but haven't done for a while now. I think its because we used to do most of our washing up in the campsite sinks so it was quite useful for that, but since Covid we've mostly washed up in the MH. I think I'll keep it for another year to see if we use start using it again...if not, then it'll go.

Definitely the Aquaroll we bought to fill the tank on our previous MH via a Whale pump.....we used it a handful of times but soon replaced it with a Whale hose instead....took up much less room, but was problematic occasionally because we didn't have any way to top up the tank without driving to a tap. Very happy to see the back of the Whale system when we changed MHs.

The jury's still out on the Endless Breeze Fan.....used it once or twice but it seems quite noisy to me. We now have a much quieter 230v fan which is much preferred if we have EHU. Will see how much use the 12v one gets this year before making a decision.

A few things have been mentioned on here that actually we find really useful: folding bucket (for draining the waste) and a cloth draining mat.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
We have a cheap inverter, had it about 10 years, used it once
Bought in inverter in the 90s when our children were small to power a tv and dvd player while on the move travelling in Europe. I wasn't prepared to buy a ridiculously priced 12v TV and DVD. Wasn't a flat screen TV either! Still have the inverter no use for it.... until I chuck it away that is.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We have one on the roof in wet weather, empty it each time we brake🌊🏄‍♂️

Bought a flat blue hose -Twin core run through so not an expanding one.
The flow through is that slow filling have replaced with a normal expanding one, 4 times the flow rate.
Ah that's where it comes from when I brake. I thought it might be from the cold water tank like we have in the loft at home

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Safari room :(

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a wastemaster. Used to use an ordinary bucket on the rapido but too little clearance on the hymer. The thin end of the wastemaster will get under anything. A sod to empty at a raised emptying point though

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
When we bought our first MoHo I bought my better half a lovely pair of gloves for emptying the cassette. Six years on the gloves still look lovely and new on their hook. I reckon they will last for years -so good value for money in my mind. But, I guess I could discard them if I am looking to dump unnecessary items :winky:.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
A Honda EU generator bought for 13 months full timing. Used once.
I've got one of those too. It was converted to run off the gas in the van. Its a lovely bit of kit, but I am still looking for a place where I can use it without frowning side-glances from others.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The jury's still out on the Endless Breeze Fan.....used it once or twice but it seems quite noisy to me. We now have a much quieter 230v fan which is much preferred if we have EHU. Will see how much use the 12v one gets this year before making a decision.
Never thought I'd the Endless Breeze fan on this list
Brilliant on hot nights, and I only find it noisey on speed 3, can easily sleep with it on 1 or 2

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Bought in inverter in the 90s when our children were small to power a tv and dvd player while on the move travelling in Europe. I wasn't prepared to buy a ridiculously priced 12v TV and DVD. Wasn't a flat screen TV either! Still have the inverter no use for it.... until I chuck it away that is.
Could be a collectors piece. I bet its too beautiful to throw on a skip without checking.:giggle:

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Cloth drainer mat - perfect for me - no space to store some collapsible drainer thing, cloth mat sits on the glass cover on the hob when I do a tad of washing up, tucks out of the way if I do cook, and acts as padding whilst travelling between said cooker hob and cover.
We are in a parallel universe. One mat under the glass cover and one on top for draining and, after packing away dishes, muting rattles when driving. Worst noise for me when driving is the glass top on the cooker banging on the metal cooker-top frame - it drives me nuts....and is a major contributor to driver stress transfer to my fellow travellers :cautious:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are in a parallel universe. One mat under the glass cover and one on top for draining and, after packing away dishes, muting rattles when driving. Worst noise for me when driving is the glass top on the cooker banging on the metal cooker-top frame - it drives me nuts....and is a major contributor to driver stress transfer to my fellow travellers :cautious:
You do know you're supposed to slow down for speed bumps don't you? :giggle:

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
I’ve another useless (to me) item, I don’t drink from the fresh ish water tank, only for showering/flushing & washing up, so I use a watering can & a 10l water carrier, so my “another” useless thing (to me) is my hose that is brand new & still in wrapper after a nigh on year.
So
1 - hose
2 - possibly safari room
3 - collapsible drying tray (with holey bottom)
I’ve been mh’ing for a year, nearly, got plenty of time for more “useless to me” thingys then

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back