The great LPG famine (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Telford services is suppose to have pump.
I will check the Birmingham one cheers

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Any suggestions for gas between bedford and Much Wenlock going Monday.
BP on A1 at St.Neots has non.
My son got some from Watling Street Grange on the A5 just outside Telford today. They told him they had had no problem with supplies.
C548599E-3D79-40BB-8D26-B86852DA4C0E.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
O

not sure too many garage forecourts will let you do that if they see you….not the safest of ways to fill your gas bottles, but only saying. 😎
I had no bother filling it is just the same as filling the refillable ones.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
No different to filling the refillable bottles.

Do I take it that you are on a wind up, as surely you can't be that stupid to believe that can you ?

No 80% automatic safety cutoff on an exchange gas cylinder is there that the refillables have.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I had no bother filling it is just the same as filling the refillable ones.

If or when you accidentally overfill one and you have liquid LPG coming out of your hob don't be surprised if you set yourself and your van on fire, there is a reason there is an 80% cut off on refillable cylinders, it's there so there is space for the liquid LPG to form gas.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No different to filling the refillable bottles.
Very different. Refillable bottles are designed to be filled at pumps and have a safety cut out at 80% fill. Returnable bottles are not the same.

Filling returnable bottles is dangerous, illegal and selfish. If the forecourts think some motorhomes are filling up in this dangerous way they are likely to ban us all, including those of us who have bought the proper equipment. You are messing around with a highly volatile substance that is pumped at pressures of up to 200psi, buy the proper equipment.

If this is a wind please stop, it ain’t funny. Someone may end up with a Darwin award.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If this is a wind please stop, it ain’t funny. Someone may end up with a Darwin award
He now has a bulk tank on his new van, however filling calor cylinders on forecourt is a very dangerous and irresponsible thing to do🤔

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
He now has a bulk tank on his new van, however filling calor cylinders on forecourt is a very dangerous and irresponsible thing to do🤔
Yes, but it worries me that someone else may follow this irresponsible suggestion so I would still like him to stop pushing his dangerous ideas.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It’s funny how people get worked up now days at what they see as dangerous. I bet they never even took their hands off of the handle bars when riding a bike. Imagine what they would say to the old welders lighting their fag off of the cutting torch while they was working.

Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
Could t get any lpg in Southampton today , any one know of any local sources , is this an on going thing or a blip in supply . Off to Cornwall in two weeks so hopefully there will be some on the way
We found the same problem on our way back from Cornwall. We managed to get one at a campsite (devon).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes, but it worries me that someone else may follow this irresponsible suggestion so I would still like him to stop pushing his dangerous ideas.
My sentiments also. :(

No Autogas at Flogas P/boro on the Thursday of the P/boro Show, and very little left a week later, after a delivery in-between.
The operator did allow us in, as we estimated only one cylinder needed refilling. £0.58ppl. They are helpful and friendly in there too. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It’s funny how people get worked up now days at what they see as dangerous. I bet they never even took their hands off of the handle bars when riding a bike. Imagine what they would say to the old welders lighting their fag off of the cutting torch while they was working.

Would you say the same thing if it was the motorhome next to yours that caught fire because of overfilling a gas cylinder? even at 6 mtrs apart a strong breeze could have your van up in flames, never mind the innocent children that might be inside. And by the way I was a welder for many years and have seen plenty of stupid things done, soon or later they find out the hard way.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
55p a Ltr, not far off the A5/A54, might be worth giving them a ring to see if they have any as they are off the beaten track.

https://www.mmsgaspower.co.uk/lpg-filling-station

MMS is and has been for a while. 67p.. It's my local. (y) Access is "ok" but down a lane and big vans might get brushed if the trees have grown.
Right opposite on the A5 is a BP garage. 10p dearer but another option.
Both places just off M6 jn 12..

Also Jn 1 on the M54 is another LPG but unsure on access into this one.

All listed in the mylpg app.

ps. One of the cheapest around is a builders yard, Carvers on the ring rd in Wolverhampton near the Train station.
Last i heard it was 34p and thats very recent, they sell as domestic use not road fuel.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Some people survive Tombstoning, it doesn’t make it a good idea. We all did daft things as youngsters but hopefully we grew up to know better.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
MMS is and has been for a while. 67p.. It's my local. (y) Access is "ok" but down a lane and big vans might get brushed if the trees have grown.
Right opposite on the A5 is a BP garage. 10p dearer but another option.
Both places just off M6 jn 12..

Also Jn 1 on the M54 is another LPG but unsure on access into this one.

All listed in the mylpg app.

ps. One of the cheapest around is a builders yard, Carvers on the ring rd in Wolverhampton near the Train station.
Last i heard it was 34p and thats very recent, they sell as domestic use not road fuel.
I’ve just rang mms and they have got gas but was a bit vague about filling Gaslow, said they can do Safefill ok but not sure about Gaslow, couldn’t get answer.
But I will go Monday.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve just rang mms and they have got gas but was a bit vague about filling Gaslow, said they can do Safefill ok but not sure about Gaslow, couldn’t get answer.
But I will go Monday.

Can't see it being a problem as they fill car tanks and the filler point is the same.
Don't show them your Gaslow cylinders and confuse them, just show them your filler point. :giggle:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Would you say the same thing if it was the motorhome next to yours that caught fire because of overfilling a gas cylinder? even at 6 mtrs apart a strong breeze could have your van up in flames, never mind the innocent children that might be inside. And by the way I was a welder for many years and have seen plenty of stupid things done, soon or later they find out the hard way.
I would not know would I , as I would be minding my own buisness doing my own stuff.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I would not know would I , as I would be minding my own buisness doing my own stuff.
Carry on then, just don't say you weren't aware should the worst happen and i sincerely hope it doesn't.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You are aware that it is unlawful to fill standard gas bottles
I know it’s against Calor’s terms and conditions, that is a civil matter. But what law is being broken when refilling a standard bottle on your own property?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Carry on then, just don't say you weren't aware should the worst happen and i sincerely hope it doesn't.
Out of interest since the beginning of the year how many people have blown up filling a gas cylinder ?
How many have been stabbed but we still buy, sell and own knives. In the grand scheme of things I think it’s a low kill rate for gas cylinders.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Out of interest since the beginning of the year how many people have blown up filling a gas cylinder ?
How many have been stabbed but we still buy, sell and own knives. In the grand scheme of things I think it’s a low kill rate for gas cylinders.

It may well be a very low rate of fatalities or even injuries, however one would be one too many when it's preventable, having been a welder for many years I've seen people set themselves on fire on more then one occasion and I've even set myself on fire, albeit I wasn't injured but I can tell you it's not something you want to experience. I also had the misfortune of being in hospital at the same time that two very serious burn victims arrived on the ward, they both died within two days, I was only 14 years old but on the men's ward, that's a site. sound and smell I never want to experience again.

Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar
Exp
Anyone travelling down N10 to Spain and requires a Spanish gass bottle I have one.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
I know it’s against Calor’s terms and conditions, that is a civil matter. But what law is being broken when refilling a standard bottle on your own property?
Where did he say he was filling at his own properties all over Europe?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back