Tam, Jade and Franky's European Adventure (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Too much of a coincedance to have 2 faulty valves and hose coming from pump is full of water, I'm suspecting sticky or faulty microswitches on taps as if you fiddle about with them you can get water and then nothing f

When you say maybe the micro switch, are you having a problem with one tap or all of them.
If only one tap it could be a broken switch wire, to check that just open another tap a little and see if you get flow.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
An observation from me.....when we were having ‘trouble’ with our bathroom tap-microswitch-the pressure to the kitchen tap always seemed a bit low.
Even now with everything working fine we sometimes get what I call ‘lumpy water’ ie: it gets air in the system, lord knows from where but mostly it’s good.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
They were small courses, it was a “tasting menu”. We quite enjoy them, it’s fun getting lots of things in small quantities that you might not otherwise choose from a menu (anchovies, raw octopus, and smoked eel in this case). I appreciate that some people find eating this way a bit weird. Sometimes we do things a little more “traditional” - today’s main course was beef stew and chips, very good.

We’re in El Puerto de Santa Maria, by the way. I think you were here and parked by the beach. We’re on the camp site and wondering if we’ve done the right thing for once. The place just along the road by the beach does actually look pretty good, only half a dozen vans there. The camp site is a bit like a refugee camp.

Enjoy the area we think it is lovely:)

We last stayed on the campsite 2 years ago and it was lovely - we were in the section on the left as you go in not in the "main body" of the site.

I know what you mean by "refugee camp" though - we have been on quite a few very "posh" looking sites in Spain only to find all sorts of ramshackle canvas/plastic extensions built around caravans of a certain age giving the whole site an air of neglect

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When you say maybe the micro switch, are you having a problem with one tap or all of them.
If only one tap it could be a broken switch wire, to check that just open another tap a little and see if you get flow.
An observation from me.....when we were having ‘trouble’ with our bathroom tap-microswitch-the pressure to the kitchen tap always seemed a bit low.
Even now with everything working fine we sometimes get what I call ‘lumpy water’ ie: it gets air in the system, lord knows from where but mostly it’s good.

Since I got the van the pressure has been naff , when I initially viewed it we struggled to get water out the taps for ages it just burgled lots bit eventually came through bit was poor. After the last weekend away I gave in and bought a new pump which I fitted last week. The bathroom sink tap has always been the best the kitchen one trickles and sometimes will just burble. The shower isn't great but usually water comes out but last night I tried to have a shower and when trying to adjust temperature it just stopped completely , if you fiddle with the tap it will come on st some bits ....seems like a sticky switch. There's no water escaping the van when taps are on so I can't see any leaks but it seems to be drawing air in to the system somewhere. Not so easy to trace the hoses in this van as it was in franky.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The shower isn't great but usually water comes out but last night I tried to have a shower and when trying to adjust temperature it just stopped completely , if you fiddle with the tap it will come on st some bits

We’ve had a problem with our shower tap, slightly different tap, but maybe the switch is the same.
I removed the top and found a spring steel bit had fallen out, it was still inside the top of tap.
F0AD4825-8639-4AE9-B7CE-7391CCB92DAF.jpeg
27808A3C-B787-4105-B3FC-5B7965BFAE58.jpeg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Air can only get drawn in the system before the pump and yours is submerged in a full tank. If there is a gap in the pipes after your pump it will leak out water while the pump is on and then possibly draw air in once the pump is off... you have no leaks...

Therefore it can only be coming from the taps.... wrap some cling film around one tap and make it air tight, turn on the other tap and get rid of the air and wait... turn on tap again and see if it splutters if not then film up that tap and try the other then you’ll find out which is letting air back in the system and which tap is naff..(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Quick question to those with a hymer similar age to mine @Shrimp @Manic @klaatu

My water pressure on the hymer has been crap since I bought it so I've bought a new pump to try. I know it will work whichever way it's wired but one way is correct and one not so correct lol

So could someone check theirs for me please and tell me which colour wires you have connected to the brown and blue pump wires
Tia
If the pump is wired with blue & brown then BLUE connects to +12v and BROWN connects to 0v (earth).

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
If the pump is wired with blue & brown then BLUE connects to +12v and BROWN connects to 0v (earth).
This is incorrect, I questioned Reich tech department about this and received a reply stating pumps are wired for Brown as +ve and Blue as -ve. So as most Hymers are using Blue as +ve and Brown as -ve, logically the pump brown connects to the van blue. Tam has different cable colours but principal is the same, pump brown is the +ve and connected this way gives a better flow and pressure.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This is incorrect, I questioned Reich tech department about this and received a reply stating pumps are wired for Brown as +ve and Blue as -ve. So as most Hymers are using Blue as +ve and Brown as -ve, logically the pump brown connects to the van blue. Tam has different cable colours but principal is the same, pump brown is the +ve and connected this way gives a better flow and pressure.
You are correct. I've just checked the note I made when I changed mine in my last van- must be brain fade because I made the same assumption then & had to correct it to get a decent flow rate :D.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
On German cars brown is the negative earth usually JMHE

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You are correct. I've just checked the note I made when I changed mine in my last van- must be brain fade because I made the same assumption then & had to correct it to get a decent flow rate :D.
On German cars brown is the negative earth usually JMHE
So now we've established that ...which out of pink and green is + and which is -

Edit

Never mind I just swapped them over and there's a better flow.

Still not fantastic but better than before. I still think the shower micro switch may be dodgy but I'll see how it goes over the next few days. It may just be sticky as I've only used Toby one weekend since I got him in October.

Anyway had a nice night in Aberdeen with jack last night went to tfi Fridays for dinner where I polished off a half duck and a large chocolate popcorn sundae.

Popped the feckn button of my cargo trousers this morning and my jeans are tight.

Just arrived at tayport done some food shopping in Dundee and Gonnae go for a walk with jade through tentsmuir forest.

I'll stay here tonight and pop in to visit mum tomorrow before heading south.
I'm booked on the 18.20 train at folkestone Thursday 17th.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Anyway had a nice night in Aberdeen with jack last night went to tfi Fridays for dinner where I polished off a half duck and a large chocolate popcorn sundae.

Best duck in Aberdeen Water Margin at the B of D 5min from tfi Fridays:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
R
Eeeek, I was wrong, just been out and checked my van Brown on the pump is in fact positive.
What lead me to say the opposite is due to Reich not complying with the standard wiring code. Blue has been used for positive on Caravans & Motorhomes since the early 80's with the Germans using Brown for negitive but the British often use White for negative.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Best duck in Aberdeen Water Margin at the B of D 5min from tfi Fridays:)
I had roast duck fajitas but they basically give you half a honey glazed duck , half a dozen tortillas and a big plate of veg to make your own. They had taken a while so they had given us a large plate of fries to keep us going I was stuffed in the end :)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
R
Eeeek, I was wrong, just been out and checked my van Brown on the pump is in fact positive.
What lead me to say the opposite is due to Reich not complying with the standard wiring code. Blue has been used for positive on Caravans & Motorhomes since the early 80's with the Germans using Brown for negitive but the British often use White for negative.

I spoke to a motorhome mechanic a few weeks ago that slated hymer wiring as even when you think you have it worked out they might just change colours half way along a run!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I spoke to a motorhome mechanic a few weeks ago that slated hymer wiring as even when you think you have it worked out they might just change colours half way along a run!
It's certainly strange as every other persons water pump seems to be brown and blue yet mine has pink and green and going by the writing printed on the cable it's original wiring.

But on the plus side it seems to be working ok now

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's certainly strange as every other persons water pump seems to be brown and blue yet mine has pink and green and going by the writing printed on the cable it's original wiring.

But on the plus side it seems to be working ok now
We have had 3 Hymer's 2008, 2014 & 2017 in all of them the pump wiring is pink & green.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But at least they size their cables correctly where as most other manufacturers fit cables that are way undersize for the job. British built vans being the worst.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Tam safe travels and enjoy your new adventure!
Glad mum is on the mend!
Looking forward to the new thread and new pup when he joins your family!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Morning campers well it was a cold and frosty night in tayport...that's the first time ever I've had the heating on in the morning but I wouldn't have got out of bed otherwise.

Had a nice walk around the duck pond with jade and then a bit along the coast.
20190114_094741.jpg
20190114_094903.jpg
20190114_094917.jpg

Heading back to dunfermline now so jade and I can go visit mum for a bit today then swing by her house and pick up my last bit of laundry , empty my cassette and top up water tank and then head off later today.

So I'll be starting my new thread this evening probably:)

Looking forward to new adventure now hope it goes well.

I'll update on mum etc later on.

I've bought myself a travel log this time too so I have to remember to not a few bits in that each day but mostly to keep more of miles, fuel costs , park spot co ordinates etc

Adios ahora

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back