SLOW DOWN...!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Again, I might be wrong; it isn't an area I am very familiar with but if the vehicle makes zero emissions, what is the manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions of less than 50g/km about?
it has to make zero emissions for the 70 mile range then............................lesss than 50g/km 🤷‍♂️

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
In the UK l haven’t been able to average 70mph on motorway for years or 60mph but occasionally perhaps 50ish unlike the EU where l can set my Cruise and one hour later l have covered the exact same mileage/km that l set it at.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
it has to make zero emissions for the 70 mile range then............................lesss than 50g/km 🤷‍♂️
That is what I thought but am not sure ,... hence my caveat. It sort of comes back to my original quote stating that the cars do not produce emissions as they drive ... sort of.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Do you have any evidence to support this? I would have thought car companies producing EV's would be using the same technologies and practices they've learnt from ICE cars. Some manufacturers claim higher green credentials for their EV's, e.g. VW and BMW claim their pure EV's are carbon neutral and more sustainable. Although given that all German car makers had software to defeat emissions tests, can we believe them!
If you Google the carbon footprint of EVs it will generally show that the production of the batteries and energy to make the body lightweight mean that the typical over-size school taxi produces about 65% more CO2 than the equivalent ICU car

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
If you Google the carbon footprint of EVs it will generally show that the production of the batteries and energy to make the body lightweight mean that the typical over-size school taxi produces about 65% more CO2 than the equivalent ICU car
what, like this one, updated earlier this year and not using old data, first result for google 'ev carbon footprint'.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
To manufacture, yes, EVs take more CO2 than ICE cars. But once it's made, EVs use energy much more efficiently than ICUs, so they make the deficit back. On average, EVs produce far less CO2 over their lifetime than an ICE car. Even when you include countries that are still burning a lot of coal.

But what's better than either ICE or EV?... Don't drive as much! Don't buy the second car. Consider that public transport may not be as convenient, but it's often cheaper when you don't consider car depreciation, maintenance and insurance.

15 years ago I used to live out in the suburbs. I was losing a couple of hours every day sitting in traffic commuting to work. So I sold up and moved to the city centre. Cost me a few hundred extra in mortgage, but that was mostly offset from the saving in petrol and parking. Living in the centre, there's more to do in the evenings and I've got more time to do it. A few years ago I went a step further and ended my car lease and didn't get another one. I cycle for most local trips. I've only needed to hire a car a few times. I'm already near a major train station, so I can get lots of places pretty quickly. I'm not a total greenwasher, I use the motorhome to take me mountainbiking, but overall I've made massive reductions in my footprint and it saved me a ton of money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
To manufacture, yes, EVs take more CO2 than ICE cars. But once it's made, EVs use energy much more efficiently than ICUs, so they make the deficit back. On average, EVs produce far less CO2 over their lifetime than an ICE car. Even when you include countries that are still burning a lot of coal.

But what's better than either ICE or EV?... Don't drive as much! Don't buy the second car. Consider that public transport may not be as convenient, but it's often cheaper when you don't consider car depreciation, maintenance and insurance.

15 years ago I used to live out in the suburbs. I was losing a couple of hours every day sitting in traffic commuting to work. So I sold up and moved to the city centre. Cost me a few hundred extra in mortgage, but that was mostly offset from the saving in petrol and parking. Living in the centre, there's more to do in the evenings and I've got more time to do it. A few years ago I went a step further and ended my car lease and didn't get another one. I cycle for most local trips. I've only needed to hire a car a few times. I'm already near a major train station, so I can get lots of places pretty quickly. I'm not a total greenwasher, I use the motorhome to take me mountainbiking, but overall I've made massive reductions in my footprint and it saved me a ton of money.
Some people only exist to drive, (y) Some do not want the noise of city living,(y) neighbors ,etc:(y)If you are working properly you shouldn't have time to have hobbies or free time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back