Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
NOx
In atmospheric chemistry, NO x is a generic term for the nitrogen oxides that are most relevant for air pollution, namely nitric oxide (NO) and nitrogen dioxide (NO 2 ). These gases contribute to the formation of smog and acid rain, as well as affecting tropospheric ozone.

edit: late posting. nvm
Just to add to this ... it is produced by the combustion of fuel at high temperatures, especially in engines and leads to a range of pollutants that form things such as acid rain and smog; the latter being particularly damaging to people with lung conditions such as smog. The legal limits of NOx in the atmosphere have been exceeded for some time now ... it is costing the country £millions if not more in health care, lost productivity etc.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Its basically to try and stop smog forming over residential areas. It's very bad for the health of anyone who has to live in it. Personally I don't care about China. I do care about my young nephew and niece who happen to leave near the A34 in Oxford.
Presume you've sold your motorhome & taken up cycling then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If they don't want loads of noxxes sort the flippin traffic jams out.
As Guigsy said but the NOx is not the only pollutant from vehicles. The only sustainable way of sorting out traffic jams is taking vehicles off the roads and reducing the vehicle mileage. One of the biggest things gained by reducing jams is more traffic. More traffic = more pollution.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
& at 50mph I can't stay in top gear as it shakes the van to pieces unless absolutely flat/downhill.Therefore I use a lower gear so defeating the object of the original idea by increased emissions. I have to do this through the vast majority of France in cruise in 3rd & 4th aswell.
May I ask what chassis and gearbox ?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I don’t know anything about NOx,but it’s obvious that,if you’re in a motorhome,it’s a waste if time going more than lorry speed ie 56mph true speed.

We travelled to Norfolk on the 9th July via the A1065 and were followed by a funster who insisted on driving right up my jacksie. I wasnt driving slowly. He was so close that I could clearly see his small FUNSTER sticker on his windscreen. Why? Was it you? Crazy! Stay back,sit back,relax!

On my return journey I did the 98 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes and never went over lorry speed.

When will people realise that you don’t need to try and gather the haemorrhoids of the driver in front in order to make good progress??!! Save the planet,slow down.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Saturday night out clubbing?

L4FTYTP6EFATDIBHCDXVZGHGZU.jpg
OK I’ll show my stupidity what’s all that about?

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
This takes me back 30 odd years when working at an Oil and Gas Fired power station.

We used to call it the NOx and SOx's routine to check all the flue gas analysers

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Actually, you get worse NOx when the traffic is moving quickly. It's only a problem at high loads and revvs.
Is it or is the high load revs whilst pulling away quickly reving the engine to get going. Or does that depend on who you believe. Money makes, or reality. A vehicle isn’t at high load once doing 60-70, only when getting there.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I don’t know anything about NOx,but it’s obvious that,if you’re in a motorhome,it’s a waste if time going more than lorry speed ie 56mph true speed.

We travelled to Norfolk on the 9th July via the A1065 and were followed by a funster who insisted on driving right up my jacksie. I wasnt driving slowly. He was so close that I could clearly see his small FUNSTER sticker on his windscreen. Why? Was it you? Crazy! Stay back,sit back,relax!

On my return journey I did the 98 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes and never went over lorry speed.

When will people realise that you don’t need to try and gather the haemorrhoids of the driver in front in order to make good progress??!! Save the planet,slow down.
?wasnt me,I was on the 1088 and 1066

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
NOx emissions are bad for local air quality. NOx are generated when an engine is running at higher revs under load.
Genuine question......at 70mph my car is doing hardly more than 2200 revs.....not really under load or working hard....therefore.......is it producing any more than when I do 50mph......and is it not worse to have buses/cars doing lower speeds at potentially cyclical higher revs in urban areas?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why is it getting worse when we now have super duper low emission cars, cats, computers and adblue, plus the electronic vehicles.
I Don't know why we don't go back to horses.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
There are too many vehicles that don't meet high emissions standards and don't forget, all vehicles emit pollution through their construction & operation. Some more than others.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Dread to think what Stevenson , Brunel , watt and their contemporaries would think of this stuff if they could see how all the inventions that made this country, " great " are slowly being thrown aside in the name of progress.
The only place we are progressing to is the third world. :(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There are too many vehicles that don't meet high emissions standards and don't forget, all vehicles emit pollution through their construction & operation. Some more than others.
Go on then I'll bite again, how does construction make a difference?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
& at 50mph I can't stay in top gear as it shakes the van to pieces unless absolutely flat/downhill.Therefore I use a lower gear so defeating the object of the original idea by increased emissions. I have to do this through the vast majority of France in cruise in 3rd & 4th aswell.
Hi Gus. I get what you’re saying here. My Fiat 3 ltr is a great engine, but sometimes it’s just better in fifth or fourth than keeping it in sixth. Even the hand book says it’s better running at 2/2.8k revs. More efficient I guess.
Phil

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If drivers can't drive at the legal speed limit, they should not be on the roads.
70mph then(y)
May I ask what chassis and gearbox ?
Transit pvc 330 mwb 110 5 speed. Cruise will drop out at 80 kph in top on the slightest slope. Same in 4th drops out at 60kph.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
70mph then(y)

Transit pvc 330 mwb 110 5 speed. Cruise will drop out at 80 kph in top on the slightest slope. Same in 4th drops out at 60kph.
Depends on the legal limit for the road and circumstances. Not necessarily 70mph.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Dread to think what Stevenson , Brunel , watt and their contemporaries would think of this stuff if they could see how all the inventions that made this country, " great " are slowly being thrown aside in the name of progress.
The only place we are progressing to is the third world. :(
My guess is that they would be at the forefront of developing new sustainable technologies.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Go on then I'll bite again, how does construction make a difference?
Construction accounts for up to 22% of a vehicle's CO2 emissions (mean 10% approx) through the extraction, transport and conversion of components such as iron, glass, plastic etc.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What's that got to do with a speed limit on a motorway? :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun