SLOW DOWN...!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
OK I’ll show my stupidity what’s all that about?
Cartridges of nitrous oxide that are normally used to "power" those squirty cream guns that have replaced a decent blob of clotted or whipped cream in restaurants and cafés, if you inhale the gas (laughing gas) it gives you a high.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Cartridges of nitrous oxide that are normally used to "power" those squirty cream guns that have replaced a decent blob of clotted or whipped cream in restaurants and cafés, if you inhale the gas (laughing gas) it gives you a high.
And can harm you ... (rarely lethal but it isn't the safe high some folk say it is).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
OK I’ll show my stupidity what’s all that about?

The are Nitrous oxide cylinders and are inhaled by younger people and clubbers. People open the canister, transfer the gas into a container (usually a balloon), then inhale from the balloon. Inhaling nitrous oxide directly from the canister is very dangerous because the gas is under such high pressure. It can cause a spasm of the throat muscle and stop a person breathing.

Nitrous oxide slows down your brain and your body's responses, and the effects of the drug varies depending on how much has been inhaled. Taking nitrous oxide can cause: feelings of euphoria, relaxation and calmness. fits of giggles and laughter – hence the nickname 'laughing gas'.

Deleted User
No one is talking about pollution from tyre debris which is the same at any speed.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No one is talking about pollution from tyre debris which is the same at any speed.
Similarly, brake dust.... All vehicles produce both forms of pollution when used.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
And the pollution from making new cars - electric cars are still a few years behind ICU engines in terms of pollution from manufacture 😠

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Is that the brake dust you get by continually braking to keep under the speed limit?
Yes, if you are incapable of using your accelerator properly.

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
And the pollution from making new cars - electric cars are still a few years behind ICU engines in terms of pollution from manufacture 😠
Do you have any evidence to support this? I would have thought car companies producing EV's would be using the same technologies and practices they've learnt from ICE cars. Some manufacturers claim higher green credentials for their EV's, e.g. VW and BMW claim their pure EV's are carbon neutral and more sustainable. Although given that all German car makers had software to defeat emissions tests, can we believe them!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Do you have any evidence to support this? I would have thought car companies producing EV's would be using the same technologies and practices they've learnt from ICE cars. Some manufacturers claim higher green credentials for their EV's, e.g. VW and BMW claim their pure EV's are carbon neutral and more sustainable. Although given that all German car makers had software to defeat emissions tests, can we believe them!
"No, electric cars they are not zero emissions vehicles. We have seen that although they do not emit CO2 while being driven, they might do it in 3 other stages: during manufacturing, energy production and at the end of their life cycle. In the first case, the need for mining activities to extract the rare earth metals that are used in batteries is very energy consuming and polluting."

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I Don't know why we don't go back to horses.

I've got 565 of em in one of my cars so can offer you a few if you want :LOL:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Emissions free ???

Why don’t people consider where the electricity is coming from and what is done to use it.
They will tell you anything they want to cause change. Change generates money. Money is all the world is really interested in.
The same way vegans discount the damage done to grow all their crap

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Cruise doesn’t work in the UK. 80% of people brake as soon as they see a speed camera regardless of what speed they are doing.

Soon it will be all automated and the “art” of driving will die. But some will be happy as they have more control of everything we do.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Cruise doesn’t work in the UK. 80% of people brake as soon as they see a speed camera regardless of what speed they are doing.

Soon it will be all automated and the “art” of driving will die. But some will be happy as they have more control of everything we do.
When you look at how little effort drivers are prepared to put into improving their abilities you can see that the art died long ago. Most drivers drive as they were taught and make no attempt to learn and improve. It isn't that "they" want to take control: it's just that no other method appears to work.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

The "art" of driving has been dying for years ... it seems that some folk can't help but drive so close to the vehicle in front that they might as well just hop in the boot and others seem to struggle to drive at the speed limit without having to apply their brakes when they get there. Maybe they should be more control on what drivers do ...

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012

I certainly don't: that's why I use cruise control at every opportunity. Trouble is, I usually have to brake to avoid hitting the numpty in front of me!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The are Nitrous oxide cylinders and are inhaled by younger people and clubbers. People open the canister, transfer the gas into a container (usually a balloon), then inhale from the balloon. Inhaling nitrous oxide directly from the canister is very dangerous because the gas is under such high pressure. It can cause a spasm of the throat muscle and stop a person breathing.

Nitrous oxide slows down your brain and your body's responses, and the effects of the drug varies depending on how much has been inhaled. Taking nitrous oxide can cause: feelings of euphoria, relaxation and calmness. fits of giggles and laughter – hence the nickname 'laughing gas'.
I see loads of those little silver cylinders scattered all over the place. It was only about a year ago that I realised that they weren't from people repairing their bike tyres... :LOL:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You asked

More cars result in more pollution.

More people results in more cars too. It's a population problem because people aspire to car ownership and the accompanying status.

Stoosal's post got me thinking - my late dad who was an engineer said that car engines are most efficient at their peak torque revs.

Which makes me think that if you cruise at the peak torque revs the emissions including NOx should be less. Fuel consumption should be optimised (assuming the mechanical and aerodynamic friction is also low) at that cruising speed.

How this fad for turbocharging all those 3 cylinder 1 litre petrol engines is better for harmful emissions like NOx than a well designed 1.6 or 2 litre normally aspirated engine is something I haven't got my head around yet. I can see that the smaller engine would produce less CO2 overall, but that's a separate issue.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Which makes me think that if you cruise at the peak torque revs the emissions including NOx should be less.
When an engine is burning all the fuel efficiently at high load, it's probably running a bit lean. The heat is enough to combine the remaining Oxygen and the Nitrogen in the air into NOx. So even though you're minimising fuel use and CO2 per mile, you can be producing more smog.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Always thought they should have electric only lanes without the reduced speed limit.
What like the bike lanes no one uses?
It takes far more to produce an ev than to manufacutre a normal vehicle.just the battery side nearly covers what it takes to produce 1 normal car.This is why it is rarely mentioned
We have seen that although they do not emit CO2 while being driven,
Not exactly true, They are classed in 3 groups as to distance travelled before emissions emitted . I was amazed to read 10 miles was considered good?

• Category 1: Vehicles with a range of 70 miles making zero emissions, and a manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions figure of less than 50g/km.
  • Category 2: Vehicles with a range of at least 10 miles making zero emissions, and a manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions figure of less than 50g/km.
  • Category 3: Vehicles with a range of at least 20 miles making zero emissions, and a manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions figure of between 50-75g/km.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tips-advice/94376/what-uk-plug-car-grant

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What like the bike lanes no one uses?

It takes far more to produce an ev than to manufacutre a normal vehicle.just the battery side nearly covers what it takes to produce 1 normal car.This is why it is rarely mentioned

Not exactly true, They are classed in 3 groups as to distance travelled before emissions emitted . I was amazed to read 10 miles was considered good?

• Category 1: Vehicles with a range of 70 miles making zero emissions, and a manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions figure of less than 50g/km.
  • Category 2: Vehicles with a range of at least 10 miles making zero emissions, and a manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions figure of less than 50g/km.
  • Category 3: Vehicles with a range of at least 20 miles making zero emissions, and a manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions figure of between 50-75g/km.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tips-advice/94376/what-uk-plug-car-grant

I may be wrong but I think that the article I cited was referring to electric cars and the one you cited was electric and plug-in hybrids; the latter being the ones where CO2 emissions would occur whilst being driven.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I may be wrong but I think that the article I cited was referring to electric cars and the one you cited was electric and plug-in hybrids; the latter being the ones where CO2 emissions would occur whilst being driven.
the only vehicles now obtaining the grant are electric.If you look at the bottom of the list all entitled to the grant, wholly electric, are shown there . All are Class 1 &

Category 1: Vehicles with a range of 70 miles making zero emissions, and a manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions figure of less than 50g/km.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
the only vehicles now obtaining the grant are electric.If you look at the bottom of the list all entitled to the grant, wholly electric, are shown there . All are Class 1 &

Category 1: Vehicles with a range of 70 miles making zero emissions, and a manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions figure of less than 50g/km.

Again, I might be wrong; it isn't an area I am very familiar with but if the vehicle makes zero emissions, what is the manufacturer quoted CO2 emissions of less than 50g/km about?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back