SLOW DOWN...!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
NOx emissions are bad for local air quality. NOx are generated when an engine is running at higher revs under load.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
NOx emissions are bad for local air quality. NOx are generated when an engine is running at higher revs under load.
& at 50mph I can't stay in top gear as it shakes the van to pieces unless absolutely flat/downhill.Therefore I use a lower gear so defeating the object of the original idea by increased emissions. I have to do this through the vast majority of France in cruise in 3rd & 4th aswell.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
& at 50mph I can't stay in top gear as it shakes the van to pieces unless absolutely flat/downhill.Therefore I use a lower gear so defeating the object of the original idea by increased emissions. I have to do this through the vast majority of France in cruise in 3rd & 4th aswell.
NOx emissions isn't directly linked to efficiency, it's about engine load and revs. You might get slightly worse mpg at 50mph (although I doubt it), but you will produce less NOx per mile because your engine isn't pushing as hard. Even in stop-go traffic, NOx isn't too much of an issue. It's just high speed driving.

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
So if you drive an electric car producing zero emissions then you can still drive at 70 or whatever the original max speed limit was?
No. I hear you say. So is it really about emissions or about more control from big brother. 🤔

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
What's NOx?
NOx means all the nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen Oxide (NO) and Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2). In the atmosphere with ozone, you end up with a nice cocktail that changes depending on heat and sunlight. So it's easier to just refer to them as NOx.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
This is to reduce local pollution which is impacting on health in the local areas rather than global pollution.
Not sure if you have been to China but the first time I went we landed at Beijing airport and saw the pollution over the city from there. Must have been 20k away.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Not sure if you have been to China but the first time I went we landed at Beijing airport and saw the pollution over the city from there. Must have been 20k away.

I'm not doubting the issues of pollution on China. I'm just mentioning that this is a local attempt at dealing with a local issue - pollution around the areas where the speed limits have been changed. If this was to tackle global pollution, the speed limit would change nationally and the floodgates of complaints from peeps who ignore our contribution to global pollution will open (again).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nitrogen makes the gardens and grass grow, what's not to like?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
So does water ... but too much of it will kill gardens and grass and the issue in this case is NOx but we assume that you know that and are stirring ...

Bikevanhappy

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3yrs
Its basically to try and stop smog forming over residential areas. It's very bad for the health of anyone who has to live in it. Personally I don't care about China. I do care about my young nephew and niece who happen to leave near the A34 in Oxford.

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
NOx is carcinogenic, not nice at all. Plymouth University were doing research into it in the late 70's. At the time diesel mechanics would tune the engine so that the smoke just disappeared from the exhaust. Unfortunately, smoky diesels produce a lot of NOx.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So does water ... but too much of it will kill gardens and grass and the issue in this case is NOx but we assume that you know that and are stirring ...
Why do you say that, never heard of NOx before half an hour ago, I have had plenty nitram in ton bags if that is the same.
When it comes to stirring, I have always had you down as the expert in that. :unsure: :winky:

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I would like to know what is worse, the extra 20mph or a Saturday night out clubbing?

L4FTYTP6EFATDIBHCDXVZGHGZU.jpg

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
In some parts of the UK speeds have been reduced to 50 MPH.
for the same reason

M4 around Newport and Swansea.
Are they for the same reason or other local road conditions?
I've only been on the M1 through Sheffield and the speed limits are variable. I assume between 70 and 60mph.
When the 60mph limit is in effect it says (like) "To cut NOx emissions in the local area 60mph limit is in force"

edit: clarity

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Are they or cutting emissions or other local road conditions?
I've only been on the M1 through Sheffield and the speed limits are variable. I assume between 70 and 60mph.
When the 60mph limit is in effect it says (like) "To cut NOx emissions in the local area 60mph limit is in force"

Yes it's something that the Welsh Assembly is hot on to control Wales' emissions.

Lots of 20mph zones in Cardiff centre as well, but that has a safety aspect attached to it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Why do you say that, never heard of NOx before half an hour ago, I have had plenty nitram in ton bags if that is the same.
When it comes to stirring, I have always had you down as the expert in that. :unsure: :winky:

You seem informed enough to post something so I guessed that you knew what you were commenting on. Apologies for the suggestion that you were stirring.

Your nitram is nitrogen in a format suitable for absorption by plants.

The nitrogen products referred to in this case is NOx which is damaging to health and an atmospheric pollutant and not accessible to plants.

1626788300882.png

Last edited:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Speed limits should be about safety, not other artificial criteria. When drivers perceive they can, on average, go faster they will. Most drivers will be able to naturally drive at an appropriate pace for the road. That is unless a cash cow system of adding cameras is then introduced. That then creates a different safety issue when drivers, instead of looking at the road ahead keep eyes glued to speedos.

Motorways were always supposed to be a faster method of getting about, to get people off the more local roads. Restrict motorways, their advantages start to be lost, and localised routes risk becoming popular moving that nuisance pollution into the heart of communities.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Speed limits should be about safety, not other artificial criteria. When drivers perceive they can, on average, go faster they will. Most drivers will be able to naturally drive at an appropriate pace for the road. That is unless a cash cow system of adding cameras is then introduced. That then creates a different safety issue when drivers, instead of looking at the road ahead keep eyes glued to speedos.

Motorways were always supposed to be a faster method of getting about, to get people off the more local roads. Restrict motorways, their advantages start to be lost, and localised routes risk becoming popular moving that nuisance pollution into the heart of communities.
The NOx levels are above the legal limits in these areas. The choice would appear to be reduce the number of vehicles that are permitted on the road, cut out all of the big pollutors or reduce the speed limit to reduce pollution. If drivers can't drive at the legal speed limit, they should not be on the roads.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
What's NOx?
NOx
In atmospheric chemistry, NO x is a generic term for the nitrogen oxides that are most relevant for air pollution, namely nitric oxide (NO) and nitrogen dioxide (NO 2 ). These gases contribute to the formation of smog and acid rain, as well as affecting tropospheric ozone.

edit: late posting. nvm

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

A lot of the time you can't do 60mph through that Birmingham section of the M6 anyway because it's too congested. Even when it's not congested, it carries about a third HGVs, so most lanes are doing less than 60mph anyway. The reduced limit only kicks in for the few miles while the motorway sweeps over the urban areas on viaducts. It works out to be about 30 seconds slower. None of the roads anywhere near are more than 40mph, so you're unlikely to find a faster route.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back