Schengen travel from 1 Jan 2021 (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
As I understand it if HMG and EU cannot make a sensible agreement regarding tourists wishing to stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days in 180, there will be a visa application required. It's hardly onerous, you merely have to prove you are healthy, financially supported and not there for criminal purposes, and do not intend to stay indefinitely. The Visa application won't cost more than a tank full of diesel, so I don't think it's worth getting hot under the collar about a bit of bureaucracy.

It's the criminal element of the visa that worries me:whistle:.....I got a speeding fine in France last year.:eek:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It's the criminal element of the visa that worries me:whistle:.....I got a speeding fine in France last year.:eek:
So did many others,,Me included.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DABurleigh
May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Germany advice has been updated, with the clear:

"The 90-day limit for visa-free travel will begin on 1 January 2021. Any days you stay in Germany or other Schengen countries before 1 January 2021 will not count towards the 90-day limit."

Dave

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So as Croatia is non Schengen/EES I suppose technically entering there removes you from the 90/180 and stops the clock?
Correct. until their application to join Schengen is accepted!

If you are in possession of a Schengen visa, you will not use up any days of the time limit (90 days in a 180 day period) that you are allowed to be in the Schengen zone if you visit Croatia. That is, until Croatia joins the Schengen Zone, of course!
This is useful if you’re travelling in Europe and need to be careful with the Schengen days you use up. If you come to Croatia you’ll still be in Europe, but won’t use up any “Schengen visa” days.

Pete

You are mistaken.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries/croatia_en

asan EU member they have to comply with the sjengen rules even if not in it. Same as Andorra, San Marino Vatican city have to as encircled countries.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You are mistaken.

asan EU member they have to comply with the sjengen rules even if not in it. Same as Andorra, San Marino Vatican city have to as encircled countries.
Which bit of your link?
Overview

Overview

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Which bit of your link?
Overview

Overview

They are an EU country but not in the schengen .Same as the UK ,Ireland . Entering the Uk , whilst still in the EU or Ireland does not reset the schengen clock

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
They are an EU country but not in the schengen .Same as the UK ,Ireland . Entering the Uk , whilst still in the EU or Ireland does not reset the schengen clock
OK if you had just said that up front I would have understood your point. Thank you for the information although I could not see that statement in your link.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I have every intention of spending 6 months plus in one go in the E.U. next year, touring and spending time enjoying the travel and culture.

I've been prepping the MH for living in it long term and planning a route.

The one I love can fly out from time to time to spend time with me on beaches and in mountains as well as city for romantic meals etc

Not really interested in the post Brexit restrictions.

But then again, I have an Irish passport

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
You are mistaken.

Not according to GOV.UK...........

Visas from 1 January 2021
The rules for travelling or working in Europe will change from 1 January 2021:

• you will be able to travel to Croatia for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa as a tourist, to visit for family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training.
  • as Croatia is not within the Schengen area, visits to other EU or Schengen countries will not count towards the 90-day limit
  • to stay for longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the entry requirements set out by Croatia. This could mean applying for a visa and/or work permit. You should check with the Croatian Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit, if any, you will need
  • if you are in Croatia with a visa or permit, your stay will not count towards the 90-day limit
The 90-day limit for visa-free travel will begin on 1 January 2021. Any days you stay in Croatia before 1 January 2021 will not count towards the 90-day limit.

At border control for Croatia, you may need to:
  • show a return or onward ticket
  • show you have enough money for your stay, and
  • use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing
Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit.

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
It may be swiped but with the greatest respect who told you that a date is recorded each time.
My belief is your details are checked, that’s it.
No it is all recorded. My mate found that out when they stopped him & they had date, time, place, he had entered & exited the Uk over the previous 2 years.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Not according to GOV.UK...........

Visas from 1 January 2021
The rules for travelling or working in Europe will change from 1 January 2021:

• you will be able to travel to Croatia for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa as a tourist, to visit for family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training.
  • as Croatia is not within the Schengen area, visits to other EU or Schengen countries will not count towards the 90-day limit
  • to stay for longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the entry requirements set out by Croatia. This could mean applying for a visa and/or work permit. You should check with the Croatian Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit, if any, you will need
  • if you are in Croatia with a visa or permit, your stay will not count towards the 90-day limit
The 90-day limit for visa-free travel will begin on 1 January 2021. Any days you stay in Croatia before 1 January 2021 will not count towards the 90-day limit.

At border control for Croatia, you may need to:
  • show a return or onward ticket
  • show you have enough money for your stay, and
  • use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing
Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit.

Pete
Yes but the Croatians wanting to join tend to enforce the 90 days, certainly with US, Aussies etc; many of whom post they have been fined.have a look at problems on their forums. Why would they not do it to the UK citizens if there is no deal?
It is the same with the encircled states. If they do not agree to implement the same schengen rules for access then the EU would shut the borders meaning only access would be by air, if they have an airport.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Yes but the Croatians wanting to join tend to enforce the 90 days, certainly with US, Aussies etc; many of whom post they have been fined.have a look at problems on their forums. Why would they not do it to the UK citizens if there is no deal?
It is the same with the encircled states. If they do not agree to implement the same schengen rules for access then the EU would shut the borders meaning only access would be by air, if they have an airport.

Well according to visit Croatia.......

General Visa Requirements for Croatia
Even prior to EU entry, many foreign visitors did not normally require visas to enter Croatia. Citizens of the U.K., EU countries, the U.S., Canada, Australia and New Zealand did not (and do not) need visas to visit Croatia. Visitors can visit Croatia for up to 90 days in any 180 day period.

Is Croatia in the Schengen Zone?

Despite being part of the EU, Croatia IS NOT part of the Schengen Zone. The country officially applied to join on 1st July 2015 (the two year anniversary of joining the EU), but it is still not yet part of the Zone. In October 2019, the European Commission stated that Croatia is ready to join the Zone – so the country would only join the Schengen Zone in 2020, at the earliest. However, with all that 2020 has brought it is unlikely to happen this year.

If you are in possession of a Schengen visa, you will not use up any days of the time limit (90 days in a 180 day period) that you are allowed to be in the Schengen zone if you visit Croatia. That is, until Croatia joins the Schengen Zone, of course!

This is useful if you’re travelling in Europe and need to be careful with the Schengen days you use up. If you come to Croatia you’ll still be in Europe, but won’t use up any “Schengen visa” days. And, of course, spending some time travelling in Croatia isn’t exactly a hardship!

Pete

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well according to visit Croatia.......

General Visa Requirements for Croatia
Even prior to EU entry, many foreign visitors did not normally require visas to enter Croatia. Citizens of the U.K., EU countries, the U.S., Canada, Australia and New Zealand did not (and do not) need visas to visit Croatia. Visitors can visit Croatia for up to 90 days in any 180 day period.

Is Croatia in the Schengen Zone?

Despite being part of the EU, Croatia IS NOT part of the Schengen Zone. The country officially applied to join on 1st July 2015 (the two year anniversary of joining the EU), but it is still not yet part of the Zone. In October 2019, the European Commission stated that Croatia is ready to join the Zone – so the country would only join the Schengen Zone in 2020, at the earliest. However, with all that 2020 has brought it is unlikely to happen this year.

This is useful if you’re travelling in Europe and need to be careful with the Schengen days you use up. If you come to Croatia you’ll still be in Europe, but won’t use up any “Schengen visa” days. And, of course, spending some time travelling in Croatia isn’t exactly a hardship!

Pete

The only problem with that is whether the other Schengen countries view it the same way.

For example when you return to Schengen do your accumulated days on the Schengen system show you not in Schengen for your days in Croatia?

Geoff

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
The only problem with that is whether the other Schengen countries view it the same way.

For example when you return to Schengen do your accumulated days on the Schengen system show you not in Schengen for your days in Croatia?

Geoff

I refer you to the paragraph in my previous post, stated by visit Croatia....

If you are in possession of a Schengen visa, you will not use up any days of the time limit (90 days in a 180 day period) that you are allowed to be in the Schengen zone if you visit Croatia.

Pete

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I refer you to the paragraph in my previous post, stated by visit Croatia....

If you are in possession of a Schengen visa, you will not use up any days of the time limit (90 days in a 180 day period) that you are allowed to be in the Schengen zone if you visit Croatia.

Pete

Pete

I read that obviously.

My point was that it was issued by Croatia, but we have not seenit from a Schengen source.

I refer to Mandy Rice Davies's response.

Geoff

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Pete

I read that obviously.

My point was that it was issued by Croatia, but we have not seenit from a Schengen source.

I refer to Mandy Rice Davies's response.

Geoff

So are you saying that Croatia is telling "porkies" or there's discord amongst the 27 :unsure:

Pete

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I’m reading it as” if you Have a visa for criatia, then thr time soent in Croatia does not count in your 90 day EU limit.

if you don’t have a visa then it will???????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back