Schengen travel from 1 Jan 2021 (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
As I understand it if HMG and EU cannot make a sensible agreement regarding tourists wishing to stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days in 180, there will be a visa application required. It's hardly onerous, you merely have to prove you are healthy, financially supported and not there for criminal purposes, and do not intend to stay indefinitely. The Visa application won't cost more than a tank full of diesel, so I don't think it's worth getting hot under the collar about a bit of bureaucracy.

Deleted User
Agree what is done is done.
Let's wait until the talking is done and dusted..Then we will see the facts and not The fiction.RULE BRITTANIA.šŸ˜šŸ˜

BUSBY.
Exactly what or who should Britannia rule over and why šŸ˜šŸ˜

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The titre test (IF it becomes neccesary) only applies when entering the eu (IF it applies!). Not for returning to the uk. Therefore, if you leave before 31/12 you wonā€™t need it to get into the eu, and may only need the usual worming pill on returning to the uk ( at the moment!)
If people are right and the only negotiation left is on trade why do we still not know about the pet transport regulations for certain?

May 7, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
As I understand it if HMG and EU cannot make a sensible agreement regarding tourists wishing to stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days in 180, there will be a visa application required. It's hardly onerous, you merely have to prove you are healthy, financially supported and not there for criminal purposes, and do not intend to stay indefinitely. The Visa application won't cost more than a tank full of diesel, so I don't think it's worth getting hot under the collar about a bit of bureaucracy.
There will NOT be a visa available for tourists, only work/study.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If people are right and the only negotiation left is on trade why do we still not know about the pet transport regulations for certain?
Because the official government website still uses the words ā€˜ifā€™ and ā€˜mayā€™, and still no update on what status the U.K. will get! I looked just now.....https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Yes that's an interesting anomaly, you can apply for a Spanish 120 day Visa, arrive via the Chunnel drive thru France, No check coming into Spain.... Stay 120 days..... Drive back thru France, no check again, arrive at Chunnel and then....... the passport people complain you've been in France 140 days??

I think I've pointed out elsewhere, the passport border force will not be able to police this rule, it's unenforcable.

Freedom of movement once it's been given can't be put back in the box.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
"Until all is agreed, nothing is agreed"
Even the new card I'm holding won't be Worth anything if the UK fall out without a deal.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The EU's own website says getting a visa extension is very hard, those are the actual words it uses. None of the examples it gives of circumstances in which an extension might be granted include simple tourism.

But we shall see. :)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
The EU's own website says getting a visa extension is very hard, those are the actual words it uses. None of the examples it gives of circumstances in which an extension might be granted include simple tourism.

But we shall see. :)

Yes we shall see! There's almost certain to be a weak link in the chain. You only need a visa granted by one Schengen area country to access to them all.

So apply for a 4 month stay in Iceland and you'll be fine for France. :cool:

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
"Until all is agreed, nothing is agreed"
Even the new card I'm holding won't be Worth anything if the UK fall out without a deal.

3 pages of debating the words ā€œ if / should /would / could / possibly / probably / might ā€œ seems pointless

As gus says. ā€œ Until all is agreed, nothing is agreedā€

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Easy, do the same as Stanley and Nigel, apply for EU passports.
A bit late for my reply I guess. However, I was just wandering how it works for people with both UK & Paddy passports who live in the UK. Do they have to use the same passport exiting and entering the UK and travelling across the E.U. or can they use a combination of both to avoid long ques and border checks, assuming there will be segregation and long ques after Jan 1st 2021 ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A bit late for my reply I guess. However, I was just wandering how it works for people with both UK & Paddy passports who live in the UK. Do they have to use the same passport exiting and entering the UK and travelling across the E.U. or can they use a combination of both to avoid long ques and border checks, assuming there will be segregation and long ques after Jan 1st 2021 ?
They would have to use the same passport otherwise it will seem they have either left but didn't arrive or vice-versa depending on which one they used first.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
They would have to use the same passport otherwise it will seem they have either left but didn't arrive or vice-versa depending on which one they used first.
Thanks for this! It makes sense I suppose but as both passports would contain the same information name D.O.B etc I thought they would be able to track individuals regardless. Looks like those with a paddy passport are going to be OK ! I hope there is a good arrangment for us Brits. I hate que's with a passion and I think the French will ensure that's exactly what we do!

Reactions: DBK

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Are you sure you're not thinking of Hotel California?

We are programmed to receive
You can check-out any time you like
But you can never leave!
;):giggle:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Yes they are supposed to though many don't
Woman I know of here who is British also claimed an Irish one back when it all reared its head & in addition has a Polish one by marriage from years ago when lived there.
She uses them in 1,2,3 order.Out on 1 back on 2 out on 3 back on 1 etc; been doing it now for some years.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Thanks for this! It makes sense I suppose but as both passports would contain the same information name D.O.B etc I thought they would be able to track individuals regardless. Looks like those with a paddy passport are going to be OK ! I hope there is a good arrangment for us Brits. I hate que's with a passion and I think the French will ensure that's exactly what we do!

ETIAS and dual citizenship: which passport to use?
Dual citizenship is well-established and will not cause problems during the Broken Link Removed. Applicants will need to use just one of their passports to apply (assuming that at least one will be from an eligible country).

The same passport will need to be used during the application process and for entering the Schengen Area. An Broken Link Removed will only be valid when presented with the corresponding passport (the details must match exactly).

ETIAS visa waivers will be valid for 3 years or until the travellerā€™s passport expires (whichever comes first). It will not be possible to transfer an ETIAS to a new passport so this means that if your passport expires before your ETIAS, you will need to reapply for ETIAS.

With this in mind, if a traveller has 2 eligible passports and one of them has less than 3 years left, they should use the passport with the most time remaining to apply for ETIAS.

Broken Link Removed).

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Then we have the British man living on El Hierro who applied for spanish nationality around brexit time & received it 2 years later but had to choose a "spanish name" ?? So now he has a spanish ID card & passport in his 'new name' along with a British passport that doesn't tie up to the spanish one as they don't accept dual nationality.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for this! I was not aware E.U. citizens will have to apply for an ETIAS by the end of 2022. Lets hope its also extended to UK passport holders but I fear not ! Long ques ahead me thinks!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Woman I know of here who is British also claimed an Irish one back when it all reared its head & in addition has a Polish one by marriage from years ago when lived there.
She uses them in 1,2,3 order.Out on 1 back on 2 out on 3 back on 1 etc; been doing it now for some years.
But I guess they are not really tracking things at the moment. That is likely to start in 2021 and especially when ETIAS gets going which is 2022 I think.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Thanks for this! I was not aware E.U. citizens will have to apply for an ETIAS by the end of 2022. Lets hope its also extended to UK passport holders but I fear not ! Long ques ahead me thinks!
I can't really see how it would work for any of them travelling now in & around europe on the Identity card alone? There are no borders? You can wander about all over the EU with a plastic card so why would they apply for etias? Flying or boat would be different although many fly at present using the card alone & no passport.

** The UK is on the exempt list but whether that is now or the same after the year end I've no idea?

Reactions: DBK
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

Citizens of countries that have visa-free access to European Union countries will require an ETIAS. Dual citizens that hold passports to an EU and ETIAS-eligible country will not require an ETIAS if they enter and exit Europe using their EU passport. Applicants with previous criminal history will be able to apply for ETIAS. British travellers will require an ETIAS in 2022.

Pete

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Reading through the ETIAS info I have realised one thing to my surprise.

By the time of its implementation I shoulld hold a Polish Temporary Resident Permit, which would currently allow me to travel within other Schengen countries for 90/180 days.

After ETIAS date as a UK passport holder I will need ETIAS also. Seems unnecessary duplication. At least since I am in a near death situation (over 70) I shall not have to pay.

In the unlikely event that UK loses it current visa-waiver status after 31st Dec, I suppose I will still be entitled to travel in Schengen on the Polish Permit for 90/180 days, so it seems having an ETIAS is superfluous.

Geoff

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie

This was originally a UK policy. EU citizens do not require an ETIAS. Only non EU citizens. It will not facilitate swift immigration processes but is a pre-requisite for entry to the EU. Interestingly criminal convictions will have to be declared on the ETIAS application and some will result in entry being refused. Should make Magaluf a little more civilised in the future.

Captain Lloyd

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 18, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094df
Exp
5 years
Your passport is swiped as you enter Shengin Zone from. UK and swiped again when you leave,,ie Morrocco,Turkey or UK .Computers will do the rest..BUSBY.
It may be swiped but with the greatest respect who told you that a date is recorded each time.
My belief is your details are checked, thatā€™s it.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
So as Croatia is non Schengen/EES I suppose technically entering there removes you from the 90/180 and stops the clock?

Correct. until their application to join Schengen is accepted!

If you are in possession of a Schengen visa, you will not use up any days of the time limit (90 days in a 180 day period) that you are allowed to be in the Schengen zone if you visit Croatia. That is, until Croatia joins the Schengen Zone, of course!
This is useful if youā€™re travelling in Europe and need to be careful with the Schengen days you use up. If you come to Croatia youā€™ll still be in Europe, but wonā€™t use up any ā€œSchengen visaā€ days.

Pete

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back