Resignation Letters Completed - Retirement here we come (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps rather than submitting your resignation letter you should ask if there is a severance scheme 'on the books' which you could apply for ... my hubby did that and got it, 2 years later there was an 'open' scheme who anyone could apply for and I got it then. Nothing to lose by asking but don't let them know you're leaving anyway!!!

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
This is Sedge - Jenny not Pete.

You are both doctors - and I said something the other day to someone else about my refusing statins, which caused me dreadful memory loss which resolved after a few weeks of giving them up, so the medics can stick em where the sun don't shine. Here's the truth - I'm 67. I was diagnosed with T1 diabetes when I was 22. I have smoked since before I left school aged 16. I have intermittent claudication. I have already been forewarned by a cardiac nurse that should I ever need stents, no way would the NHS fit them unless a) I gave up the fags (well I daresay if it was THAT important, maybe????) b) I was on/went onto statins. Presumably by this stage I could have a conversation with said cardiologist, so would demand to know regarding b) what was more important to him - length of life, or quality thereof? - because I'm firmly in the latter category myself and the NHS supposedly agree with that, so I keep reading anyway.

So what's important to you then?

One always hopes that with a better QOL that also converts to a longer one! - that's the theory anyway.

If you will have enough money to enjoy whatever you want to do and be comfortable, not have to watch every brass farthing - then damnwell do it.

Only this morning I received two letters - one telling me I have an increase in one of my private pensions (don't ask for a handout, it was only about £4 a week LOL) and the other with the date of my cataract removal. No bad news at all today! LOL

Enjoy !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
im 40 this year and current forecast is 57 to retire but my last pay rise might nudge it to 56..... Its all down to paying for schools and uni for me at the back end as kids are 3.5 years old and 0.5 years old currently. Once I get that money pit out the way I am good to go..... Until then we will use the current motorhome for long weekend and events and the odd full holiday. Cant wait to buy the next one thats just for me and the wife to tour in with no work commitments.

People say don't wish your life away. Im not I'm wishing my life to me by retiring as early as possible so I can do more for me than working for the man. Prey for retire at 50 but can't see that been a reality.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I too took early retirement / redundancy when it was offered to me at 52. I knew I'd be taking a big hit on my pension, but decided to "rip their arms off" anyway.
My wife was working part-time and was reluctant to stop, so the first couple of years were limiting to how often / how long we could motorhome for. When she in turn was made redundant, she was worried that we'd either clash or stagnate.
Now, we both agree we should have done it earlier. We seem to always be busy (mostly doing nothing!) and really enjoy our extended trips to Europe, as well as visiting the family, allowing our kids to holiday by looking after grandkids and dancing!
Money isn't plentiful, but we manage.
As mentioned above - if there's any chance of redundancy / severance of any description...

However - one friend retired last Christmas (2016) and was extremely unhappy. He just lived to work. He did anticipate the retirement and was just about to qualify as an horticulturalist - ISTR he's got or is aiming for a Level 3 RHS Diploma. So, even if you're not completely happy after leaving, there are all sorts of options.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks everyone for the lovely words.

I'm the one having the biggest worries stresses about doing it. For him it's just a job, after leaving the NHS he realised there was life out with the service, for me it's all I have ever known and to be really honest I do love my job. However, I no longer do my job, I spend day after day hitting a keyboard doing budgets and reports. I trained as a clinician not an accountant.
Oh well it's agreed now no going back
I do feel I'm letting the team down.
Congratulations on your life changing decision!
Don’t you feel you are lettingthe team down , successive governments have done that to the NHS and changed it for the worse. I know you will have done your utmost to do the best for your patients( I know as we have nurse friends and I’ve been a patient recently myself!)
Don’t feel bad , feel good ,feel marvellous and go out and enjoy your new life!
My BIL retired at 49sailed his yacht from Dartmouth to The Med and spent 3 years doing it . However he got bored so went back to work partime for a few years!
The choice is yours but enjoy !!!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
SHAME ON YOU....."Why has it taken so long to decide" its a better life without the worry, leave it to the young folk and get out there and enjoy yourselves, we did 20 years ago, and we still feel fine about it.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Enjoy your drive/s to work today,,,

Big day,, putting the letters on the respective desks of the people that make it happen!

Good luck to both of you, I’m sure you will be happy !! Xxx

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Well done to both of you. Happy travels.(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I doubt you will ever regret it.
Financially,you would be better off to carry on working...that is almost always the case.
But money is not everything and looks like you’ve realised that.
I retired at 57 and no regrets.

Technically perhaps but not necessarily so depending on circumstances. When we retired we found we had more disposable income.

We used part of our lump sum to pay off our mortgage, no more monthly payments. Reduced Income Tax bill due to reduced income, no National Insurance payments to make, no 13% of salary deducted into pension fund.

We have, in reality, been better off since retirement, (both having good pensions), and a much more pleasant and less stressful way of life.

I suspect, from info in the original post that the OPs will fall into our category. I hope so.

Good luck to you.(y)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I took early retirement at 54, & my husband took redundancy at the same time - he was 45! Never regretted it! I kept my registration for a couple of years doing odd things, but soon found I was too busy to work, so let it go. That was a wrench, as that was part of who I was in a way, I think if I ever need or want to work again I can go as a carer or do volunteer work. Life is too short! Good idea to ask about severance schemes tho!

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I finished work at 55 two years past and don’t regret it for one moment , financially were comfortable and although we are not super rich we have comfortable yearly income which allows to travel .
Enjoy your retirement while you can because you don’t know what’s around the next corner

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Never made a fortune while we were working but sold up and retired on the proceeds at 56 and never had a problem filling our time since. A health scare six years ago resulted in a new van and we have done what we wanted ever since within reason. As we do other holidays and want to go further afield the van may well be on the market before long but we plan Norway in May and have bookmarked several threads from Fun which we shall study for routes and ideas. Apart from the fact the health sector is losing more staff you're doing the right thing, good luck in your retirement.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If the slightest of doubt hang fire for a few more years, you are still young`ish... (y)

I always planned to retire ay 52, when I reached 52 I was in two minds and decided I was not financially comfortable and carried on. Now my partner and I keep getting hit by health issues so please go for it, you will have at the very least 20+ years of comfortable travelling.

We wish you the very best for your future.

Jackie n Griff

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Oh I hope we are doing the right thing. No idea what we are going to do but feels really good at the moment.

If it helps then tell yourselves that you're only taking a 1-year sabbatical. If you do get to the end of the year and are still happy then add a further 5, 10, 20 or 30 years to your sabbatical and job done :D

We are in the same position as you guys. I turn 45 next Thursday and I've decided to do the sabbatical-thing based on the fact that I'm far too frightened to call it early retirement. We will spend the whole of 2018 de-cluttering our lives and then off we go - into the sun.:party2:

I lost my crystal ball a few years ago so I don't know how long I've got left on this planet of ours. That being said, what I do know is that a few good pals of mine have either died over the years or have been diagnosed with some horrible yucky disease without ever having had any fun in their lives. Enough said!

Take your sabbatical and then move on from there.

Best wishes, and good luck,

(y)(y)(y)

Andrew

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Congratulations, what a great decision

We used part of our lump sum to pay off our mortgage, no more monthly payments. Reduced Income Tax bill due to reduced income, no National Insurance payments to make, no 13% of salary deducted into pension fund.

We have, in reality, been better off since retirement, (both having good pensions), and a much more pleasant and less stressful way of life.

Big tick to all that - same for us. I went at 63, drew down some of my lump sum each month to top up until State Pension kicked in.

That was 4 1/2 years ago. My last 5 years working involved being seconded to the US business and clocking up one million Airmiles with BA. Uk office 75 mile round trip from home, US office in Philadelphia. Miss this sort of travelling like a hole in the head. My second home felt like the BA lounge at Heathrow!

Sold the caravan and tow car, bought the motorhome last year. What isn't there to look forward to?

Get on with it and live long. Don't forget, you no longer need to go to Ikea/Supermarket on Saturdays or Sundays, don't make a crowd scene and leave that for those who have no choice.

Best wishes

Dennis

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
It's been a long time coming but with a very heavy heart I have decided to call it a day and resign from the NHS. My partner and I have been talking about it for around 12 months, financially we don't need to work, we both enjoy our work, he is in a senior executive role with a multi national oil company (Medical Doctor as well ) He is 51 and I am 49. We have spent the weekend discussing it and we both feel that we are both at the stage of our careers where we have succeeded in achieving what we wanted from our career and now feels like the right time to call it a day.
We both penned our letters today and intend to submit tomorrow. We both keep looking at them on the table and burst out laughing, a sort of nervous laugh. We have never worked for any one else except our current employers.
Oh I hope we are doing the right thing. No idea what we are going to do but feels really good at the moment.

Enjoy but remember, you are still young and capable if you decide to start again :D

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Well, it's done, I officially retire on the 24th April 2018. Chief Exec tried hard to make me stay. Started off with the are you sure your doing the right thing financially, then moved through the book finishing on the you are letting us all down tact.
My mind was made up and I'm out.

The other half only needs to give 28 days notice but has agreed the same date as mine to allow a good transition of the role.

I guess having no dependants and both of us working full time all our lives will allow us not to have any financial worries. Also his final salary pension scheme was offering a very good deal to opt out and cash in which he has done. He was given 43 x his accrued pension. He can't take the 25% tax free lump sum until he is 55 and needs to defer from drawing down for as long as possible to limit taxation on the amount exceeding life time limit. But we are fine.

Seriously thinking about doing HGV training to allow me to drive a Morelo Empire I have my eye on. If we are living almost full time in a Motorhome why not.....other half is having none of it. It's a very firm NO. Let me work on that!

Thanks everyone for words of encouragement it made today so much easier. You all convinced us it was the right decision, so you know who will be at fault if it all goes wrong

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Well, it's done, I officially retire on the 24th April 2018. Chief Exec tried hard to make me stay. Started off with the are you sure your doing the right thing financially, then moved through the book finishing on the you are letting us all down tact.
My mind was made up and I'm out.

The other half only needs to give 28 days notice but has agreed the same date as mine to allow a good transition of the role.

I guess having no dependants and both of us working full time all our lives will allow us not to have any financial worries. Also his final salary pension scheme was offering a very good deal to opt out and cash in which he has done. He was given 43 x his accrued pension. He can't take the 25% tax free lump sum until he is 55 and needs to defer from drawing down for as long as possible to limit taxation on the amount exceeding life time limit. But we are fine.

Seriously thinking about doing HGV training to allow me to drive a Morelo Empire I have my eye on. If we are living almost full time in a Motorhome why not.....other half is having none of it. It's a very firm NO. Let me work on that!

Thanks everyone for words of encouragement it made today so much easier. You all convinced us it was the right decision, so you know who will be at fault if it all goes wrong

43 x, that is excellent. I am still waiting for my offer (I am 52) but I bet it won't be that much. All the best (y)

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I think you are being selfish, you have many years of work in you, paying taxes, national insurance that can enhance my retirement. Seriously there are plenty of things to do, voluntarily with your skills if you wish, travel when you want. I retired at 52 one of the many good things I found was when returning from a holiday, not having to go back to work, bliss

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Well that's absolutely fabulous, so pleased for you both, my OH retired at 65 which was 7 yrs ago, I'm one of the hapless having to now work till 66, 3 more years to go, have no idea if OH will last that long, so who knows.

But if I had the chance or opportunity to have taken early retirement with the financial backing like you two, I would have been offski.

Enjoy i'm sure you will (y)(y)(y) x

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Well done the both of you!!!!

Wishing you lots of fun with your plentiful leisure time.. :D

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Hi ho, hi ho, from the 24th April it’s off to work we don’t go,etc etc
No bloody NHS doctors left soon at this rate, enjoy your retirement, we are a long time dead, you can now meet up with all us other daft sods who have nothing better to do that travel around eating and drinking and talking blocks, it’s a great life! (y)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
After many years of work it's sometimes hard to let go completely.
I retired at 55 and we both started to drop our commitments in the village so that we could get away more.
It wasn't long before I got dragged back to help out with village projects, Parish Plan and a Village Design Statement among others. Volunteering can give a huge amount of satisfaction and you feel that you are giving something back. With your skills and experience you can give so much expertise to projects that are a world away from your old working life. The great thing is, you determine how much time and energy you wish to devote to a role and still leave time to travel and do the other fun things.
Since I retired I have done things and learnt things I never dreamt I would do when I was working. It has been so rewarding.
Enjoy your retirement Stewart and have fun.

Richard.

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
43 x, that is excellent. I am still waiting for my offer (I am 52) but I bet it won't be that much. All the best (y)
He works for an oil company, so guess you might also given Aberdeen based (I was brought up in Cults) the average in his company is between 38 and 40 at the moment. He was lucky to catch the low gilt market about 6 months ago.
Good luck and hope it works out really well for you. It seems a no brainier thing to do with this kind of multiplier

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Your Partner is now your Team :)
You have just made me think if I can go cap in hand and rescind my resignation all that time together
We are well used to each other and will be fine, we have been together since we were in our teens. I was 14 when we first met and he was 16 and started going out a year later so 35 years of putting up with him

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
When I retired I said to my (EX) wife that if she wanted a new motorhome she would have to go on the game..... she said yes.......I was surprised how willing she was.
Anyway after one week I said to her, How much have you made on the week.
She replied £47.20p......... I said, who gave you the 20p? :swear2:
She said.................

All of them..... :Eeek:

I don't like her.... :eek:

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
(I was brought up in Cults) [/QUOTE said:
I have got family that live in Cults and I was brought up in Ballater.
I have mostly kept up with your posts for 10 years as you once asked me if I shared a storage yard with you, I think it was Tranent ( I didn’t)
I have been very interested in your Motorhomes and there tribulations I’ve the years and must say I would love to own the Morelo you have now.

Well I wish you the very best in your retirement, hopefully mine will not be too long now but owning my business it is not easy to let go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back