Resignation Letters Completed - Retirement here we come (1 Viewer)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
He works for an oil company, so guess you might also given Aberdeen based (I was brought up in Cults) the average in his company is between 38 and 40 at the moment. He was lucky to catch the low gilt market about 6 months ago.
Good luck and hope it works out really well for you. It seems a no brainier thing to do with this kind of multiplier

Yes, Weatherford now but GMP is with Baker Oil Tools. Just a poor boy from Garthdee but not too far away now in Broomhill. Plans in place for early retirement too but I am waiting another 3 years when 55. I hope I am ready because I am getting a tad jealous. Have a great time

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Wife and have been retired for 14 years after very bad motorcycle accident, now 67 and 62 years old and luckily both had good jobs and now good pensions.
Keep yourselves busy and don't think about anything too much just go and do it, Life is too short not to.
BTW I had a heart attack last year so know from that to get out and enjoy life, we do !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Congratulations on achieving this step change so young. Happy travels and have loads of fun together.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
I retired 10 years ago at 55...best thing I ever did. Yes the money is one third of what we had but we are both happy and have had 10 great years of enjoying ourselves, doing what we want to do, when we want to do it. Long may we have many more.

Aug 31, 2017
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We're newbies
We've just done the same....finished on 31/12/17! Still can't really believe it yet, spending a few months bringing the house up to scratch and pick up our van in March then let the fun begin!! We're a little older than you guys and not as financial secure as you sound to be but, as they say 'life's too short'. Have a great rest of your lives.

Jul 14, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin sp van
Exp
Since 1999
As they say just do it !! I retired at 57 after 35 years in the NHS.an injury gave me time to realise how unwell I was working. So i filled out the papers one day & that was it. Traded up our old motorhome we had 13 years. I felt guilty at first but after a while you realise how much it affects you. I still rant at the politicians but that's because I still care. And I was probably on a much lower pay grade than you . Time to enjoy life ,get out there

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We've just done the same....finished on 31/12/17! Still can't really believe it yet, spending a few months bringing the house up to scratch and pick up our van in March then let the fun begin!! We're a little older than you guys and not as financial secure as you sound to be but, as they say 'life's too short'. Have a great rest of your lives.
Ditto, first day not working 1.1.2018, spending time sorting out house etc..., new van in June, off in September for extended trip(s). All good so far (3 weeks) but there are moments when you think what should I be doing, it will take awhile to get used to the time available to do what we want. Can't remember having this sort of freedom before :D, like the idea of volunteering as it will feel like we are making a contribution but for this year will not rush it anything.

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Good on yer!
May I suggest a1st ‘retirement’ trip?-
Cross the channel & take the slow road south, following your noses & exploring all those lovely villages, vineyards etc on the way. When you’re ready come back up again. Take as long as you like - we did 6 weeks after retirement & only regret not being able do do it sooner

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Lucky Sod's :) hope you both have a great retirement and you know the worst thing that can happen is after 2 or 3 years and you think you've made the wrong decision then just go back to work.

Our plans are to be retired around the age of 55 we're currently me 50 and Lor 48 so will probably go when Lorraine is 54, although I might go when I'm 55 and leave her working :). We won't be rich but we will be comfortable for the rest of our lives, by then Sophie should be out of Uni by a couple of years and hopefully starting her own career. Other than that we have no financial commitments and have already sorted her out with a flat in Edinburgh so don't need to worry to much about her having a roof over her head.

Good luck guys and remember to post loads of pics of your travels so we can all dream of that day.

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I wish you all the very best, enjoy your retirement, hit the road and have fun.

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
Interesting thread - I grappled with the 'when to retire decision' for a couple of years. I gave one year's notice to my employer in July last year and am on track to retire this July at age 65. My job position has been advertised, I am enjoying the countdown and we are now looking forward to full-time motorhoming.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Congrats on starting the next phase of your lives, absolutely no guilt is warranted for doing so. Knowing my bloody luck, I’ll expire before I get to retire. ;)

Jan 20, 2018
Findon Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charima 111
Exp
Stuart, been following your story.
For me a bit later than some on the retirement front, partly due to getting replacement joints on BUPA(Ankle and Shoulder) both football rated. but have had several months touring since 2014.
Due to embark on extensive travels in March (Scandinavia mainly). My observation is, it's not where, when or how, but with who ! If you have a partner, and enjoy shared experiences, that's priceless, For some that may be a Dog (seriously) for others its the human encounters on the road. Whatever you do, wherever you go, 'enjoy'

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing that having a dog does do is encourage you to go out more and explore areas where you may not have done previously, we often go walking on the beach with them, something that without the dogs we'd hardly do.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Well done you won't regret it, my friend found it hard when he retired for some time, me I turned the key on the workshop door climbed in my car and did not even look in the mirror I was 59 wife was 56 we have enjoyed every minute and I have never been bored . I never missed working 10 to 12 hours a day and regular callouts any time day 365 days a year.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Started off with the are you sure your doing the right thing financially, then moved through the book finishing on the you are letting us all down tact.
My mind was made up and I'm out.
@stewartwebr. That would have been the touch paper lit for me Stewart, (the ungrateful gits). :mad:

As daunting as it may seem at first, it's a breeze, honestly, especially when you know that you can manage financially. Thinking that we couldn't manage financially really upset Rita, but that was because she wasn't able to appreciate our financial position at the time. It took many months/years for her to realise that we actually could manage comfortably, despite us being many years (still are) from state pension age. :eek:

You and yours go for it and enjoy life. (y) It is important to keep the mind and body occupied, so other interests may need to be considered.

Re the HGV, when you say that the OH is having none of it, do you mean in them doing HGV training to achieve a C1E or C+E, or do you mean in not being interested in upsizing any further?
If the former, as long as you inform your MH insurers, and your chosen breakdown insurers, (from the onset of any policy) that in the event of a breakdown, (or your incapacity to drive), your partner is not qualified to drive that class of vehicle, then they will arrange either for recovery, or for a qualified driver to drive the vehicle back to your chosen location.

Good luck to you both, as you enter a new chapter of life's adventures. (y)

Bon voyage,

Jock & Rita. :)

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Well folks that's it, I walked out of my department this afternoon for the last time. I have officially retired. I would be lying to say I had a tear in my eye because they were rolling down my face. I have loved every single minute of my career in the NHS. Together we faced challenge after challenge, times were tough and at times bloody awful but not once did any of my team complain or let it get in the way of clinical care. I cannot and will not speak bad of the NHS, oh it has it's many many faults but no where in the world can you take ill on the street and be treated within minutes by highly trained and skilled paramedics who will sustain life if needed to get you to the ED department where if required will be treated and cared for depending on your criticality by a team of highly skilled staff. Then passed to other teams of equal skilled staff to get you on the mend, teams who are under immense pressure, in some cases overworked and underpaid but do it because they love it. I take my hat off to each and every one of them.

Okay enough of that...Open road here we come.

Just posted a well used stethoscope in classified ads if anyone is interested ;)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Congratulations Stewart!

You've left a job you loved which couldn't have been easy..... I wish you many happy and fulfilling years to come. :)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Congratulations, well done & best wishes for your new adventures!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations and enjoy your well earned peace and quiet!
Having friends who are in the NHS and been on the receiving end this last year , I to want to say what a magnificent job you all do under many constraints .
Long live the NHS!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Congratulations. Hope you have a great time enjoying travelling and chilling out.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Surely the stethoscope should be framed and mounted on the the wall, not unceremoniously sold onto some ingrate to play doctors with.
You could salute it each morning.:)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm really chuffed for you Stewart - enjoy the next and best phase of your life(y) You deserve it.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Congratulations and wishing you both a very happy retirement, Mr Mousy retired 2 weeks ago and we've come straight down to Portugal For 2 months, so far it's fab...

A38AD643-B102-466A-85BA-E8AD73107DB0.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back