Resignation Letters Completed - Retirement here we come (1 Viewer)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
It's been a long time coming but with a very heavy heart I have decided to call it a day and resign from the NHS. My partner and I have been talking about it for around 12 months, financially we don't need to work, we both enjoy our work, he is in a senior executive role with a multi national oil company (Medical Doctor as well ) He is 51 and I am 49. We have spent the weekend discussing it and we both feel that we are both at the stage of our careers where we have succeeded in achieving what we wanted from our career and now feels like the right time to call it a day.
We both penned our letters today and intend to submit tomorrow. We both keep looking at them on the table and burst out laughing, a sort of nervous laugh. We have never worked for any one else except our current employers.
Oh I hope we are doing the right thing. No idea what we are going to do but feels really good at the moment.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I doubt you will ever regret it.
Financially,you would be better off to carry on working...that is almost always the case.
But money is not everything and looks like you’ve realised that.
I retired at 57 and no regrets.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Don't look back. Look forward to the times that you will enjoy most. We take everything for granted . Dont!
Life is too short...Enjoy it all. The future is..............second star on the right and beyond! Enjoy your trip
~Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I retired at 60 - best thing I ever did.

I am sure it will work out for you both and also will become a new and exciting journey in your lives.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I sold my business when I was 49. Went on doing some p/t teaching for a year and then packed it in and moved abroad.
I'm sure you'll never regret your decision but allow time to get used to not working. You're both changing the habits of many years !
Go and enjoy yourselves in your fantastic looking motorhome. Do all the travelling you can, see and experience everything you can. And have fun-- lots.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Congratulations - think of all the adventures ahead of you now! (y) If your gut instinct tells you it's time then sure you won't regret it but if you do miss work then there are many rewarding volunteer roles where your skills would be welcome.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well done. 49 and 51 that’s brilliant ! Enjoy the rest of your lives , following your dreams .

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Thanks everyone for the lovely words.

I'm the one having the biggest worries stresses about doing it. For him it's just a job, after leaving the NHS he realised there was life out with the service, for me it's all I have ever known and to be really honest I do love my job. However, I no longer do my job, I spend day after day hitting a keyboard doing budgets and reports. I trained as a clinician not an accountant.
Oh well it's agreed now no going back
I do feel I'm letting the team down.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I retired at the age of 40..... now 74...

And a lot of thanks is due to H.M.Goverment... and dabling in property....

No regrets as such and seen most of the world, well all I want to see....

If you are 100% sure, go for it...

If the slightest of doubt hang fire for a few more years, you are still young`ish... (y)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
I retired at 53 (y) Best thing I ever did. Still pick up the odd bit of work but it's on my terms doing stuff I enjoy. More time to travel and relax too. Best of luck and just go for it :)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks everyone for the lovely words.

I'm the one having the biggest worries stresses about doing it. For him it's just a job, after leaving the NHS he realised there was life out with the service, for me it's all I have ever known and to be really honest I do love my job. However, I no longer do my job, I spend day after day hitting a keyboard doing budgets and reports. I trained as a clinician not an accountant.
Oh well it's agreed now no going back
I do feel I'm letting the team down.
I retired at 55 after a lovely career as a GP. The last couple of years wore me down, the final nail in the coffin was the invitation to revalidate. Just couldn't face it. I felt a bit guilty for a while but not for long. I have been retired 3 and half years and love it. Nick retired the year after me by which time I'd got a nice routine plus new 'girly' social life. He plays golf and we motorhome together which suits us well, avoids us killing one another!
Good luck to you both. I know you're only young but I'm sure you've served the NHS well. Only we understand the toll 2:1 and 3:1 rotas used to take on us, absolute madness. A wonderful new adventure.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Best of luck to you.(y)

I am a bit tied into my business to be able to do the same as you but I wish I could.

My long term aim is to tow an A frame around Spain for a laugh.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I did similar. Husband had retired years earlier, I tried part time work but found myself becoming sucked back and being asked to do more. Part of me wanted to as I did love what I did but decided what was best for us. It wasn’t an easy decision, I had to relinquish my registration so I couldn’t go back. A good thing too as a couple of days later after doing the deed I was offered more work so had to turn it down. Do I miss it? Yes at times I do, Do I regret it, no, our life now is so much better and easier. Go for it and don’t compare what you are doing with what you could have been doing, especially financially. I now look at friends of my age who are still working and know I made the right decision. I was 60 when I retired, but in retrospect should have done it sooner. Enjoy every minute and accept you may feel ‘guilty’ for some considerable time but it’s your life, nobody else’s. Good Luck.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I think I am on the wrong forum, I am 52 and will be retiring at 67:mad:. Hopefully I will have 6 months left after that to enjoy the van before I snuff it.

That’s why you have to get off as much as you can , weekend wise , whilst still working ! That’s what we do.
At least your doing it , at your age.
A lot of folk wait till they retire in their 60’s , then buy one.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That’s why you have to get off as much as you can , weekend wise , whilst still working ! That’s what we do.
At least your doing it , at your age.
A lot of folk wait till they retire in their 60’s , then buy one.

Yes you are right, shouldn't wish your life away and be happy with your lot.

Its like I say to Caz, I still have my health and I,m still good in bed,what more could you ask for:LOL::D2

Too which she replies''Well if only it was a bit bigger''

Not sure if she's talking about the bleeding van or not??

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Good for you Stuart.

I feel sure you and your partner will enjoy your retirement. You're both obviously high achievers and I expect you'll channel that energy into your new life toghether. I wish you well.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I am 52 and now. I plan to follow in your footsteps in 3 years time. I think I have done enough to earn an early retirement. I may have enough money to live on, then again I may not have enough money to live on. It all depends on how long I actually live!!. but one thing is for sure, I am dam well going to start to enjoy it. How ever long it is! Good luck..

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i retired far too young after an accident. returned to working twice since then as i needed to do something rather than go mad. then i found charity work and this gave me my "fix" so I can now comfortably retire

retirement is not an easy thing to do if you work hard and enjoy it. its like stepping off a treadmill running fast then nothing, just free time. you have to learn to adjust, as theres only so many holidays you can kid yourself with.

don't get me wrong, sitting down with a nearly clear calendar to decide when and where to go in the van is wonderful

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Congratulations to you both, wish you a long, healthy and happy retirement.

I stopped at 54, 3 years ago, and haven’t looked back. I know it’s a cliche but I really don’t see how I ever found time to work.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Nice one don't look back just forwards. You must be really excited I know I would be. Think me and OH will have to wait till we are 60 before retiring. However if we can bring it forwards we will

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back