LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Now without starting another unnecessary Angles Mort discussion this is about glue. I removed an old AM sticker which had become messy and peeling at the edges, but it left the glue behind. I have tried Meths, White Spirit, Petrol all it does is move the glue residue around a bit and form little rolls of it. Regardless how long I do it for. I am worried about using Acetone or similar in case it damages the paint. (Hymer A class).
Any suggestions? I know there was a sticker manufacturer on here cause he was offering AM stickers free of charge a while back, but I can’t remember his name to ask him directly. I will be fitting a new AM sticker but need this glue residue off first as it will leave a rough and wrinkled finish. The original sticker was from Amazon or EBay so origin is unknown.
Thanks for any suggestions

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Now without starting another unnecessary Angles Mort discussion this is about glue. I removed an old AM sticker which had become messy and peeling at the edges, but it left the glue behind. I have tried Meths, White Spirit, Petrol all it does is move the glue residue around a bit and form little rolls of it. Regardless how long I do it for. I am worried about using Acetone or similar in case it damages the paint. (Hymer A class).
Any suggestions? I know there was a sticker manufacturer on here cause he was offering AM stickers free of charge a while back, but I can’t remember his name to ask him directly. I will be fitting a new AM sticker but need this glue residue off first as it will leave a rough and wrinkled finish. The original sticker was from Amazon or EBay so origin is unknown.
Thanks for any suggestions

I use a sticker/decal removing wheel on a cordless drill.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Never used it but some people here have said Sticky Stuff Remover works well. Do a search and you might find some useful info.

That`s the stuff..... (y)
1716461624098.png

FZ

Mar 15, 2024
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
Could also try 'Goo Gone', main ingredient of this appears to be citrus however so could maybe try lemon juice but dont quote me on that.
:smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Could also try 'Goo Gone', main ingredient of this appears to be citrus however so could maybe try lemon juice but dont quote me on that.
:smiley:
Thanks to all suggestions above. I had lemon juice so tried that and sorry no result. Will have to try the suggestions above when we go out shopping.

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I use petrol, not sure its the 2020s enviro approach, but has always worked…

Just dont smoke at the same time !!!!

FZ

Mar 15, 2024
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
Try Isopropyl Alcohol, a little bit at a time.
That would also be my second suggestion but try it out somewhere less obvious in case it does anything nasty - and dont breathe it in or get any naked flames near it either.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I'm sure there's a difference between pump petrol and lighter fluid in the small yellow tins which I use and always find very effective. Works well on shop stickers as well

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I'm sure there's a difference between pump petrol and lighter fluid in the small yellow tins which I use and always find very effective. Works well on shop stickers as well
Guess so, its much more refined. Normal benz in a zippo gives off black smoke.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
WD40 works well to remove residual glue remains. Just spray it on leave it to soften the glue and wipe off with a throwaway cloth or dried up wetwipe.
May have to repeat . But it does work very well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Come on Steve do it properly, get your disc sander out with some 120 grit production paper, guaranteed to work. 🤣

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Come on Steve do it properly, get your disc sander out with some 120 grit production paper, guaranteed to work. 🤣
Great advise Lenny, tried it and fantastic, all the glue is gone but I now have a big silver patch which doesn’t match the original silver. Any advice on where to get spray cans in Hymer colours? :oops::oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We use this on stubborn residue when we de-sticker our works vans. Then a bit of proprietary panel wipe, followed by a wash and polish.

Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015
Another vote for Goo Gone. However, the bottle I have is positively ancient and I'm not sure whether it's still available in the UK. A search on the interweb perhaps.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
SO, the winner is………

AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover which I had forgotten I had. Magic Cat’s Pee (WD40) worked a bit but tended to spread the glue but the Tar remover did the trick very well. So thanks to wiljoy & Orion you get today’s star prize. And Lenny HB (stupid boy) you get the BOOBY prize. Thanks to all who contributed. Job done, now I have to clean the rest. :confused::confused:

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
WD40 works well to remove residual glue remains. Just spray it on leave it to soften the glue and wipe off with a throwaway cloth or dried up wetwipe.
May have to repeat . But it does work very well.
I agree with Jimbohorlicks, WD40 seems to be the amazing magic solution for an assortment of issues. Check out their website.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back