rb panel van conversion begins ! (8 Viewers)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Brill (y) Ralph and the work surface looks well worth the money (y)(y)(y)Still cannot get my head around the cost of Remis blinds though :D
terry

After the way he's had to chop into the front Remis blind, and butcher the overhead parcel shelf, to make it fit this new shape Pug van, neither can I Terry .
But that's another story.
He's putting a post on later on the Remis fixing . It took all day Sunday to fix in the front one !..........

As for the worksurface, it's lovely . Sets everything else off. It ties together all the colours we chose.
The £100 was just for cutting to the template that Ralph made. BTW The thing itself set us back in total, including fixing and repair kit , another £380 :Eeek:
THA WAT ! Don't choke on your tea , Terry! :laughing::wink:

Anyway I've thought of a good idea..........
Seeing as this post has had so much interest and over 23,000 hits :Eeek:
I think it would be a good idea to charge an entrance fee for people to look inside Pug.
To recuperate the building costs !
JOKING!:wink::rofl:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Corian is nice stuff, fitted several kitchens with it years ago, but my favourite is granite, bit heavy for a motorhome though. :) Lovely conversion, workmanship looks top class.(y)

Ian

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
After the way he's had to chop into the front Remis blind, and butcher the overhead parcel shelf, to make it fit this new shape Pug van, neither can I Terry .
But that's another story.
He's putting a post on later on the Remis fixing . It took all day Sunday to fix in the front one !..........

As for the worksurface, it's lovely . Sets everything else off. It ties together all the colours we chose.
The £100 was just for cutting to the template that Ralph made. BTW The thing itself set us back in total, including fixing and repair kit , another £380 :Eeek:
THA WAT ! Don't choke on your tea , Terry! :laughing::wink:

Anyway I've thought of a good idea..........
Seeing as this post has had so much interest and over 23,000 hits :Eeek:
I think it would be a good idea to charge an entrance fee for people to look inside Pug.
To recuperate the building costs !
JOKING!:wink::rofl:
Not bothered on the cost of the W/TOP Bev it does what you say and ozzes quality/looks -worth every penny (y)
The blinds are different ;):(:D
Now once mine is finished -only waiting for Doors /finish floor:( or me making some more doors- Paul is wanting his van started and guess what layout he now wants ? Front lounge like everyone persuaded me from having :rolleyes::whistle:
Already told him if I like his better I will be using his while my new one is complete ;)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well just in time for the Misterton rally we have a set of cab Remis.
Finished the side ones this afternoon, very easy to fit unlike the front blind which i was told would fit the new Boxer with Parcel shelf :mad::mad::mad:
It took me six hours on Sunday to trim the parcel shelf to make the blinds fit :mad:

Anyway now there in i am very happy with them and how they neatly fold away (y)

All packed up for Misterton, We hope to put some faces to names :)

Cheers.....Ralph
IMG_6131.JPG
IMG_6127.JPG
IMG_6128.JPG
IMG_6130.JPG
IMG_6129.JPG
IMG_6133.JPG
IMG_6132.JPG

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Bev & Ralph

Thank you for sharing your progress and what an amazing job you have done!

It took us about 2 hours to read through your post yesterday and we enjoyed every minute. I can't believe that you have done the exact same thing we are planning on doing this year!!

I am sure you will enjoy every minute you spend in Pug and rightly so after all the hard work you have put in.

Some of the info you have given and the links will be invaluable to us to start our project, so thanks once again!

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Totally agree with Brodie, it has been a real pleasure following your thread and progress on the PVC, like i said before - it gave me something to get up in the morning for :LOL::LOL::LOL: Been fantastic Ralph/Bev - I can only take my hat off to you an applause what you have achieved with the build (y)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Your more than welcome Brodie.
I don't think your that far away from us. We're in Wrenthorpe, Wakefield . If you want to have a closer look !
Ralph's going to put an itemised costing list on this thread when finished. That might come in handy for some too.
Thanks again toxic. I'm very proud of Ralph and the finish he's achieved.
After a well deserved long weekend off at Misterton ( where we must have shown 30plus couples around Pug) Ralph's been busy.
Over the weekend he's fitted a Thule electric step and the 4 meters long Fiamma awning . What a job that was getting it into the house . It looked massive . The casing is black on this new model too.

We've now decided we want a drop down table , against the back of the kitchen cupboards , behind the sliding doors. That way it's out of the way , storage wise, and very handy to sit outside under the awning. So he's got that to build too.
He's still got to make the remaining cupboard doors . We've decided against the taupe high gloss , and on flat with curved corners , like the ones he made for the bathroom.
The underslung tanks need to be made ( he's not doing that !) and the gas needs connecting up.

I'm sure Ralph will get around to posting some pictures when he's got a minute. There on his phone. I'll give him a poke tonight !

We've got a few trips out with the funsters planned. The next one being Saltfleet. Looking forward to that one .
But before that , we're going to Gordale Scar. Near Malham. A spot close to our hearts as its where we used to go before we were even married, with a crate of beer , in a one man tent no less !
Ralph knew how to show a woman a good time !
Although we've been numerous times , with the kids over the years, we've never taken a caravan or the previous Motorhome. Only one of the numerous tents we've had over the past 25 years.
Narrow single roads , no passing spots, overhanging trees and jutting out drystone walls...... Make it tricky to get to.
But Pug will easily get there.
Can't wait. We love the walk over the top to Malham Cove, down the steps to the pub, over the fields to Jannettes Foss and back to Gordale Scar.

I think once Pug is finished I'll do a video on my ipad , of Ralph doing a tour around the inside and out. Like you see sales men doing on YouTube etc. Then put it on here, for anyone that's interested in having a look.
Thanks for everyone's interest.

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi Bev!!

No I'm not far, just in Doncaster!!

I was going to ask about an itemised list - not specifically costs (cheeky) but more of materials used and source.

I realise you have done your homework and would love to take advantage - now that is cheeky Lol!

Like you say if your doing it for yourself you want to do the best you can.

Ours will be a totally different layout to yours mind, having the 3 rug rats still with us!!

But, we will still need the same/similar materials albeit in varying quantities.

A video will be brilliant, get your speaking voice practised ha ha!

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Bev!!

No I'm not far, just in Doncaster!!

I was going to ask about an itemised list - not specifically costs (cheeky) but more of materials used and source.
A video will be brilliant, get your speaking voice practised ha ha!

Yes I'll have to practice. Seeing as someone , a couple of weeks ago, said I sounded like a Yorkshire version of Sarah Millican :Eeek:!!!:laughing:
And that I had a look of her :swear2::rofl:
Ralph's happy to do the materials and costings list.
That way people can see that self builds aren't neceserally the cheap bodge jobs they expect. Some sites we are told , wont even let the likes of us on !::bigsmile:
We had a few people turn their noses up at us doing our own conversion. I'm sure when they see it they will have different views.
It's not always a bodged cheaper option of owning a Motorhome....... Don't judge a book and all that .....
As Ralph can prove.

Last edited:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I don't think anyone can accuse you of bodging it, this is for sure!! Thanks for the list, that will be great.

Well you will just sound like a neighbour to me with being just down road!

Yeah we have had that response a little bit, sister in law for one, until she had a look at the one we are trying to emulate.

Some of the things we have looked at already are definitely not on the cheapo side, for example the fridge is going to cost more than the one in our house. Cold beer no1 priority and all that.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We saw the conversion in the flesh at misterton -a really professional finish to all the fittings -a real pleasure to see top class craftsmanship-a credit to you both(y)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well we are literally a step closer to finishing.....
IMG_6196.JPG
IMG_6203.JPG

Broken Link Removed

A proper electric step at last (y) Fitting was a doddle with the Peugeot Boxer kit. Just a few holes to drill for the hanging plates.
I went for this one as its anodized aluminium. The Boxer kit comes with a nice matching cover plate and end caps you can see round the main step.
I will be a bit sad to see the old step go as it came in handy for carrying back the empties :LOL::LOL:

IMG_6210.JPG

Did some scouring round the internet for a wind out canopy and Johns Cross was the cheapest by far.
Funster discount (y) and free delivery (y) Phone the shop to order as i wanted to make sure i got the fitting kit for our van age and length.
The guy taking the order was very helpful and soon had the correct parts and canopy size ordered for me.
The canopy was ordered around lunchtime and arrived the following morning (y) How good was that :D

To fit the canopy i decided to erect a scaffold.

IMG_6188.JPG

Once again the Peugeot Boxer fitting kit for the canopy made the job easy. On the roof of the van there is a number of small lugs which you fit the canopy brackets to. You can still see one in the next picture in between the first and second brackets. The brackets need to be in line and flush through so the canopy sits level, i just used a string line to achieve this.

IMG_6192.JPG

IMG_6187.JPG
IMG_6193.JPG
IMG_6198.JPG

Never managed to get a photo of the canopy out as it threw it down on Sunday afternoon during the install :mad:
Just managed to reverse the camper back down the drive and photo the canopy there.
Next time out i will get a pic (y)

I would like to thank all the funsters who took time out to have a look round the Pug at Misterton.
It was nice to receive some positive feedback :)

Thanks for looking.....Ralph

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Totally agree with Brodie, it has been a real pleasure following your thread and progress on the PVC, like i said before - it gave me something to get up in the morning for :LOL::LOL::LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: give over now, it hurts

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Another great job done Ralph, same awning as ours but ours is the white one, very big canopy when wound out, great quality bit of kit - i see the project is coming to a close now but it looks terrific - tell Bev i need my walkround vid for some closure :LOL::LOL: (y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have followed this thread with excitement and admiration for the hard work and quality of the conversion. Ralph deserves to now enjoy the fruits of his labour, and Bev, as I have posted before, you are a lucky lady having such a talented OH.
Enjoy, and I hope to see Pug in the flesh somewhere.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I have followed this thread with excitement and admiration for the hard work and quality of the conversion. Ralph deserves to now enjoy the fruits of his labour, and Bev, as I have posted before, you are a lucky lady having such a talented OH.
Enjoy, and I hope to see Pug in the flesh somewhere.

@Cal54 Thank you Carol, Glad you have enjoyed the thread :)
We have missed out on lots of weekends this year building the camper.
We should be complete for the back end of August, just waiting on the water heater.
We are looking forward to some time away in the Autumn (y)

It would be nice to meet you too one day and show you round the camper (y)

Thanks....Ralph n Bev

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Another great job done Ralph, same awning as ours but ours is the white one, very big canopy when wound out, great quality bit of kit - i see the project is coming to a close now but it looks terrific - tell Bev i need my walkround vid for some closure :LOL::LOL: (y)

@Toxic Clown Cheers Toxic..... Never got round to winding it out fully because of the wet weather.
Bev took delivery of the canopy but phoned me to say that it wont fit in the bloody house :LOL:

When i got home my son and i managed to squeeze it in.....Just :D
Very happy with the quality and it looks great on in black matching the other external bits.

Looks like i may have to brush up on the acting skills for the grand finale video ;)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Not the most productive weekend due to work commitments Saturday morning (n)
Saturday afternoon i set about constructing the much needed kitchen drawer and matching dummy drawer under the sink.
The drawer sides and runners came from screwfix www.screwfix.com/p/drawer-sides-runners-400mm/16005?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=257710#_=p
The rest of the drawer was constructed with the walnut furniture board.
IMG_6231.JPG
IMG_6229.JPG
IMG_6246.JPG

Sunday afternoon i built and fitted the two top locker doors using the same soft close hinges.....

IMG_6235.JPG
IMG_6234.JPG

This is where we will be keeping all the tea and coffee cups and plates etc.
I have had a couple of Fiamma Omni-Stop gadgets sat in the shed for a couple of years.

I knew one day they would come in handy ;)
The bracket holds the bowls and plates in place tightly and un-clips easily by pushing down with you thumb and lifting the retaining clip (y)

IMG_6232.JPG
IMG_6233.JPG

Still got some doors to make and fit but i need to order one more 8 x 4 sheet to complete the furniture.
Thing will be at a standstill for a couple of weeks as we are heading up to the Yorkshire dales next weekend :)

Catch up with you when i have something to update

Thanks for looking.....Ralph (y)

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just catching up on the last few posts posted. I read the whole thread about 10 days ago, it was a marathon read, took me about 2 1/2 hours!

If I had to chose one word to describe your campervan project, craftmanship, materials, finish etc, your thread with images and all info supplied - the whole shabang... It would be.. CLASS (y)

There are a few of your posts that I will reply to individualy as they seem to answer the questions that i've had concerning that particular part of the build.

Thank you for the time and effort you've both put in to sharing your build with others. :clap:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:thanks4::notworthy2: :clap2: :notworthy2: :clap2: :notworthy2: :clap2: :notworthy2:

Well ..........have just read this from start to finish and have really nothing new to add to all the admirable comments already made.
:cheers: The only thing left to do is to congratulate TEAM R&B :wine:

( and make no mistake this must have been a team effort)

for an excellent job, cannot wait to meet up somewhere along the way for a 'neb'

:thanks4:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just catching up on the last few posts posted. I read the whole thread about 10 days ago, it was a marathon read, took me about 2 1/2 hours!

If I had to chose one word to describe your campervan project, craftmanship, materials, finish etc, your thread with images and all info supplied - the whole shabang... It would be.. CLASS (y)

There are a few of your posts that I will reply to individualy as they seem to answer the questions that i've had concerning that particular part of the build.

Thank you for the time and effort you've both put in to sharing your build with others. :clap:

@just wandering Thank you for showing interest in our self build project (y)

Glad you liked the thread and hope you get something from it for your own conversion (y)
I never really had the time for lots of detail but sometimes a picture says enough.
If there is a particular area of your conversion you need some help with, let me know. I have taken loads more pictures that i haven't posted
so they may be of use.

We plan on keeping the Pug indefinitely, so built him to last :)

Good luck with your own build and thanks again for your kind words

Ralph n Bev

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
:thanks4::notworthy2: :clap2: :notworthy2: :clap2: :notworthy2: :clap2: :notworthy2:

Well ..........have just read this from start to finish and have really nothing new to add to all the admirable comments already made.
:cheers: The only thing left to do is to congratulate TEAM R&B :wine:

( and make no mistake this must have been a team effort)

for an excellent job, cannot wait to meet up somewhere along the way for a 'neb'

:thanks4:

WOW....... Thanks Wildge :LOL::LOL:

Hope to meet you too one day (y)

Just look out for the........ PUG ................. on the registration plate :LOL:

Ralph :cheers:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back