rb panel van conversion begins ! (2 Viewers)

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have given the insulation of our van allot of thought as its one of the most important parts of the conversion.
Its nearly as important as choosing the right size fridge to fit the beers in :LOL::LOL:
I have been reading up on all the different types available and have also seen what the main manufacturers use.
We have taken on all the valuable comments from the forum and finally decided on....

Broken Link Removed

I intend to stick this straight on to the vans interior shell. This will form my first layer of insulation and vapor barrier.
This is the sort of thing the big manufacturers use such as IH and Globecar but a little thicker at 10 mm.
On top of this i will be applying a second layer of Kingspan / Celotex type material. This will be a minimum of 25 mm and in some areas around 50mm. This will be stuck using a high temperature adhesive. Some areas of the van are very hard to insulate using the above products so i will be using sheep's wool and gun applied expanding foam (y)

Hi Ralph-n-Bev.

This is also an area i've spent so much time on, researching, researching and even more researching. I finaly came across Happily Homeless on youtube and was interested in the materials he was using, but a bit pricey for me. (see video)

Then I came across RattleMatt on fleabay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300719999472?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I figure I'd need 3 of these, 300 sqft/28 sqm - plus the bubble foil.

Then I found this post with the link to harrisons trim supplies. I've had a look and I think this might be what i'm looking for. It seems to combine sound deadner and foil insulation into 1 material. Would that be correct?

How did you find it working with this material, was it easy enough to apply?

Cheers,
Jack

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
@just wandering Just a quick note on insulation - it really depends on what your going to use your van for.

I've never used the bubble wrap stuff but from doing literally a ton of research before I insulated my own van it seamed the most effective ways were using Kingspan (or similar) or even better, having it spray foamed inside.

I went with Kingspan. Insulation was really important for me as my dog likes to be in the van as often as possible. My van can be out in baking hot direct sun all day long and still be cool in the back when I open the door. It's also really easy to heat in the dead of winter.

I would suggest also joining the SBMCC which is a self-build forum. Lots of great info from some very good builders.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JW I also use both the bubble wrap stuff and Kingspan along with spray foam for the insulation --simply spray/glue/contact adhesive to van and BW then stick it on -you can do the same with the KS and fill in any gaps with the spray foam -You can also buy spray foam kits and do the whole van with that -I currently keep getting pop ups for it at £199 pl,us vat -it should give you enough for a whole van -not sure if insulation is as good as BW plus KS though
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
@just wandering Insulation.....What a minefield.

The foil back adhesive foam on a roll was great to work with (y) Very sticky and easy to cut to shape.
I went over mine with a heat gun which helped dress it into the ribs of the bodywork.

I know this is just what some of the main converter's use and class it as fully winterized :eek:

It creates a great base layer but personally would go for Kingspan or similar on top of it.
I managed 50mm Kingspan in most of the side walls and 25mm ceiling and floor.
We have only been out in the Pug in the summer months and have to say we are pleased with the internal temperatures :D

Take your time deciding over this, but build in as much as you can without compromising internal space (y)

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Ralph n Bev, what a great read and I'm full of respect for you and your work. I hope the MH brings you many hours of fun after all the hard work. A FIRST CLASS job Sir.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hi Ralph-n-Bev.

This is also an area i've spent so much time on, researching, researching and even more researching. I finaly came across Happily Homeless on youtube and was interested in the materials he was using, but a bit pricey for me. (see video)

Then I came across RattleMatt on fleabay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300719999472?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I figure I'd need 3 of these, 300 sqft/28 sqm - plus the bubble foil.

Then I found this post with the link to harrisons trim supplies. I've had a look and I think this might be what i'm looking for. It seems to combine sound deadner and foil insulation into 1 material. Would that be correct?

How did you find it working with this material, was it easy enough to apply?

Cheers,
Jack

have you checked the weight of the rattle mat some sound deadening matierials are extremely heavy

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Said it before & I'll say it again.

A fabulous job from start to finish well thought out & well executed.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ordered and received my final sheet of Furniture board last week :(

Saturday i had a a day on the workbench cutting and routing the last five doors and making two table tops :)

IMG_6360.JPG
IMG_6361.JPG

The furniture is almost complete, I just have a couple of doors to hang under the sink unit. They will be finished once the hot water and gas connections have been made underneath. Hoping the hot water heater is ready mid August, i need this to finish the plumbing, they keep moving the launch date on this new boiler www.propexheatsource.co.uk/heaters/expanse

Now when you open the main sliding door it looks finished (y)
IMG_6363.JPG
IMG_6366.JPG

Just the cab seat bases to box in, and a carpet down then Pug will be finished internally. Externally i still have water and a gas tank to fit.

I had a good chunk of furniture board left so decided to make a couple different size table tops.
One we can use for drinks when lounging. The bigger one is cut to fit nicely into the wardrobe ( hence the coffin shape ! )

IMG_6372.JPG
IMG_6373.JPG
IMG_6375.JPG

As we are on catch up for lost getaway weekends, we are heading up to the Yorkshire dales next weekend for some walking good food and real ale (y)

The following weekend we are heading down to Saltfleet with the Funsters :)
Anyone wanting to have a nosey is more than welcome. Just look out for the... PUG... registration

Catch up soon.....Ralph

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Cheers Jock,
for following the thread right through. Hope to see you on a rally, so you can have a good look. Close up.
We're nearly there now, inside anyway.
She's a he btw. ;)
Ralph

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Looks fabulous. Hope you enjoy every minute.

One thing with building your own is that you know where every screw and pipe is.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks puddleduck
Yes, that's one of the main reasons I've built one. That and being able to choose the Quality fixtures and fittings as well. I've never been happy with 12v electrics in motorhomes and caravans . So wanted to put my own chosen system in , as I know it works . And will keep on working . I also wanted good quality solid furniture board , as I've found even quality converters don't use it . Being too expensive.
Even down to the hinges I've chosen , strong and solid but soft closing. Everything is built to last. We plan on Pug lasting us indefinatley . It's not been a cheap project , we could have bought a new Motorhome for what we've spent . But we know we will have a solid conversion, built to our own spec.
Ralph

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Ralph you are a true craftsman, your workmanship is superb, well done on all your hard work and its looking near on finished , whats left to do other than enjoy
pete

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Haha.
And we will enjoy. We've got so many plans. Let's just hope health and circumstances permit. Thanks Pete.

I've surprised my self , being a Brickie I've never done any carpentry before. I'm not a craftsman :notworthy2:, Wood wise.
Brick wise yes!
I've just taken my time and wanted it done right. I keep going into Pug and thinking , " I've done this" :Eeek::rofl:

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
We briefly met at the "Soul "do at Newark and you let me look at you then unfinished Pug,I have to say even then I was more than impressed.But now from the pictures on here, he is fantastic.I hope to see you again some time but in the meantime ENJOY the Pug after all your hard work........Martin(y)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks Martin. We've still got all the underslung tanks and webasto to put on yet. But Pug is nearly there. I don't know what I'll do with my self, with all the spare time.
No doubt Bev will have us booked for lots of weekends away.
Can't wait.

Last edited:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
You will have lots of spare time to go and enjoy PUG, lots of weekends coming your way with real ale and good food.
Enjoy
X

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
[

[This is where we will be keeping all the tea and coffee cups and plates etc.
I have had a couple of Fiamma Omni-Stop gadgets sat in the shed for a couple of years.

I knew one day they would come in handy ;)
The bracket holds the bowls and plates in place tightly and un-clips easily by pushing down with you thumb and lifting the retaining clip (y)] end quote

I have been watching your build and I am severely impressed and jealous of your skills at the same time, but if I could offer one bit of advice it would be about the Fiamma stops.
Whenever you park up anywhere, especially for long periods, always lift the stops away from the plates etc to release the tension.
We have one and I hadn't realised that over time, with temperature changes etc, the plastic arm loses it's springiness and allows everything to move and rattle.
It just doesn't hold everything in place properly anymore.

I would hate a small thing like that to spoil your enjoyment and hard work.
I hope you don't mind me mentioning it. :notworthy2:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@knokinonabit
Thanks for your kind comments and the advice on the fiamma stop. We shall only press it down whilst on the move then release it when static, now. As we had it pressed down permenantly until wanting a plate or bowl before.
RnB

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm a bit concerned about the crockery in Bev's cupboard, YES she can offer me a dinner and/or a pudding.

But - does she really expect me to eat a slice of her lovely cake that she's going to offer me, without a tea plate?

Looks like Pete will have to go without anyway ........

:whistle2:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I'm a bit concerned about the crockery in Bev's cupboard, YES she can offer me a dinner and/or a pudding.

But - does she really expect me to eat a slice of her lovely cake that she's going to offer me, without a tea plate?

Looks like Pete will have to go without anyway ........

:whistle2:

I've only put what correlle provide for two . If you want to eat cake with us, you'll have to bring your own tea plate ! :laughing:
Keeping the weights down , for my prosecco!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
What a beautiful van what a lucky lady Bev is , but I'm sure she knows it. I've enjoyed looking at your progress and will look forward to seeing Bevs video when she does it.

I hope you have many happy years in this lovely van.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks MadgeD.
Yes I'm very lucky. Ralph's a great husband and dad, he's always worked very hard for all his family.
And to top it all he's built us a fab PVC , in Pug ! We are looking forward to lots of adventures in him.

I don't tell Ralph how much he is appreciated. Often enough.
But he is , lots and lots. :inlove:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back