rb panel van conversion begins ! (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well after Ordering our base vehicle back in July it has finally arrived.....
image.jpg

As you can see its a Peugeot Boxer, the van is 6.4m long and has a 2.2 engine with 130 BHP.
The new Boxer has a few changes to it the obvious one being the face lift.
Other changes made are to the sliding door gear being beefed up.
A couple of mechanical changes have been made one to the cambelt which is now a chain And the brakes are bigger I am lead to believe the brake upgrade is the reason the van only needs servicing every two years or every 30'000 miles.
Can't be doing with Bevs ipad.
Going on my lap top. To be continued.
Ralph.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thats better back on the laptop.
The vans colour is a very light Gold colour and in Metallic which is one of the many upgrades we have chosen.
Here is a list of the other upgrades......

Cruise Control / Speed Limiter
Reversing Camera linked to central radio system screen
Satellite Navigation
Bluetooth Radio
Cab Air Con
Uprated Alternator 180A
Reinforced Battery
Engine under-Tray Protection
Front and Rear Mudflaps
Uprated Tyres 16" Four Season
Alloys
LED day running lights
Rear Suspension Upgrade

So the fun begins. I say fun but its a bit daunting As Bob and Janie say knowing i have to start and cut, some big holes in the vans roof and sidewalls :Eeek:
I can now slowly start to empty our dining room which is like a stock room at Johns Cross :LOL:
Some of the first jobs to do require decent temperatures to apply mastic's and sealants lets hope it not cold for too long. We shall make Whitby goth (Val n Bob) even if we have to put a mattress in the back !
The insurance we have gives me around 100 days to complete so no big rush. I do work full time ,so we intend to take our time , carefully plan and get it right.
We shall keep this thread running throughout all the stages , for anyone that's interested.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Nice van and good luck with the conversion, if you can complete in 100 days while working full time then you're probably a better man than me!

BTW the 2.2 PSA/Ford lump has always been chain drive cams so that isn't actually an "upgrade".

D.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nice van and good luck with the conversion, if you can complete in 100 days while working full time then you're probably a better man than me!

BTW the 2.2 PSA/Ford lump has always been chain drive cams so that isn't actually an "upgrade".

D.
Yes that's what I thought too Dave. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
You got it !!:)
Looks great so much easier to work on a new van no rust grime or bodges to work around:cool:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

D.
Hi Dave, Thanks for info on the cam, engines are not my thing just going on what the dealer has told me, I didn't pay for that as an extra.
I don't intend to do all the build myself. I will be doing what i call the first and second fix.
First fix Windows, Insulate, plumbing and wiring,solar, lining out etc........
The main bit, the lets call it the woodwork beds Bases, wardrobes, kitchen, bathroom Walls will be done by a bespoke kitchen maker I know.
All the soft furnishings are going to be done by Regal. To the Ih standard that we aim for.
As these, the woodwork and furnishings are biggest time consumers i think it is achievable in our time scale.
After the woodworking is done i will second fix ....Lighting, Bathroom fittings,Kitchen area, 12v - 240v points etc etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Have you sold your CI ?
No not up for sale yet , it's getting emptied tomorrow. Getting full hab and service and 12 month mot before we put it up for sale. (y)
So if you know anyone that might be interested in a lovely van with loads of extras.......

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looks good Ralph best of luck and look forward to seeing the progress

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nice looking van Ralph & Bev 100 days = 3 mths so it should be done easy -I have no doubt you have the layout settled on and that's the hard bit ;)look forward to seeing it progress :)and finished van come Whitby in April :D edit are you doing all the plumbing bits as well ?
terry

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Nice looking van Ralph & Bev 100 days = 3 mths so it should be done easy -I have no doubt you have the layout settled on and that's the hard bit ;)look forward to seeing it progress :)and finished van come Whitby in April :D edit are you doing all the plumbing bits as well ?
terry

Yes , that's the easy bit . Under slung and additional Removable onboard Tank for hard winter motorhoming. Or should I say campervaning now !

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
What sort of insulation are you going for, I always think that's one of the most important parts and so often skimped on.

Paul.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave, Thanks for info on the cam, engines are not my thing just going on what the dealer has told me, I didn't pay for that as an extra.
I don't intend to do all the build myself. I will be doing what i call the first and second fix.
First fix Windows, Insulate, plumbing and wiring,solar, lining out etc........
The main bit, the lets call it the woodwork beds Bases, wardrobes, kitchen, bathroom Walls will be done by a bespoke kitchen maker I know.
All the soft furnishings are going to be done by Regal. To the Ih standard that we aim for.
As these, the woodwork and furnishings are biggest time consumers i think it is achievable in our time scale.
After the woodworking is done i will second fix ....Lighting, Bathroom fittings,Kitchen area, 12v - 240v points etc etc.

Ah that makes a difference and you should be able to meet your target timescale. For insulation consider using spray polyurethane foam, its a bit messy to do and not cheap but it does have advantages: it bonds to the surface its sprayed onto so it won't squeak later, it forms a waterproof barrier and gives good heat and noise insulation. Have a look at the blog on my website of the conversion I've been doing for a customer.

Most of all enjoy your new van, both in conversion and use.

D.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would use spray insulation for the strengthened frame section, don't forget to insulate these, and a sheet material glued to walls. What layout have you decided on and if you don't mind sharing, what is the budget. Good luck with this, look forward to seeing the results:)

Not teaching you to suck eggs but really worth reading up on insulating a panel van, vapour barriers etc.....

put this in Google and there are loads of links to info. "best panel van wall insulation. campervan conversions"

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the van is 6.4m long it must be the same chassis as Murvi use for their XL versions. They use the extra 0.4m over the standard LWB version for a full height storage area on one side, which would be useful for hanging wet things in and I know someone who has one on order with a dedicated place built for storing a genny. If you haven't yet set your layout in concrete it would worth looking at the Murvi XL layouts. But if you plan on fixed beds, which are probably easier for a home conversion then I guess you will want to use the extra length for that.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Best of luck with the project, the first cut into that brand new paintwork will be a real squeaky bum moment. Remember 'measure once and cut twice' or something like that.
Look forward to seeing the blog.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Best of luck with the project, the first cut into that brand new paintwork will be a real squeaky bum moment. Remember 'measure once and cut twice' or something like that.
Look forward to seeing the blog.
Hi Ralph forget the measuring twice bit Mask a couple of ins around your hole and offer up the window to make sure it fits :D;)
After you have made the cut have a bucket of warm soapy water ready to wash off any swarf that settles on the van (y) Left overnight and it soon turns into small rust spots that don't do the paint much good :)
terry

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Having had a 6 metre PVC and currently a 6.4, you will be pleasantly surprised how much difference the extra length makes..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back