Puncture prevention whilst travelling, are we all concerned? Here is one solution (1 Viewer)

Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
We joined Motorhome Fun for any information, tips and ideas that may help us on our travels, we have gained much more than that, all the Funsters have made us very welcome and have been very helpful and knowledgeable. There is always someone on here that has covered almost every subject, or problem that we all could encounter.

We built our own camper van from scratch it had everything except a fixed toilet and shower and we kept it for more than five years before we upgraded to a Coachbuilt Mercedes Cipro 55 ci, but the old one did do us proud. I used to carry a kit in case we had a puncture whilst off grid and without a phone signal, it was basically a corkscrew, some mushroom plugs and a big tin of tyre glue (similar to what the breakdown service with the big orange vans use) but the problem with these plugs they are only a temporary/emergency solution to get you to a tyre shop and replace the tyre.

We read a thread on here from one of the ever knowledgeable Funsters it was about puncture safe tyre solution so i did a bit of research (like we do) and watched two video clips (I have put two links below if any one wants to have a look ) I then found a guy in Warrington called Lee Swindells from puncturesafewarringtonsales@gmail.com he came out yesterday and pumped the gel solution into the 5 tyres on Jules our Motorhome and whilst the guys were here they also put the solution into the 5 tyres on our Landrover. As I mentioned the Motorhome Fun Forum and the fact that I obtained the information from one of our knowledgeable Funsters, he charged me the princely sum of £130.00! I thought it was a small price to pay for peace of mind and knowing that I'm not going to get a puncture anytime soon, (in anticipation of being able to travel soon!). I have also got breakdown cover (the big orange vans) and have the Arrival Breakdown Cover via the Camping and Caravan Club, in case of a breakdown, but I won't be calling them out for a puncture.

Well I have waffled on enough so in case you are interested here is those two links to the Puncturesafe being tested to destruction! I hope this can help someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fphOXBIP0HU

keep safe, all
Two Owl Ones

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have used puncture safe for the past 12 years in all tyres fitted to our motorhome. it is a simple DIY task to fit it yourself.

dont know if i have ever had a puncture. it seems to work.

but they now do an emergency kit so you do not need to apply the stuff in the tyres until you have a puncture, and it works unlike the goo that manufacturers give you and can be rinsed out so the puncture can be repaired.

my new tyres wont have it put in but i will carry the emergency kit i have and a spare wheel.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
The twice we have had punctures in 40 years of motorhoming has been when we have run over debris in the road!both times there were rips in the tyre wall that no amount of goo would repair!would go no where without a spare wheel but dread to think how I would manage to change a wheel at 76!When we had new tyres fitted the fitter had hell of a problem getting the van up to get the spare wheel out of its cradle in the middle of the floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I used to travel along a road that contributed to punctures every 6 months or so. I used similar gunge in my tyres and avoided punctures for 3 yrs. So well worth it in my opinion.

OP
OP
Two Owl Ones
Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
The twice we have had punctures in 40 years of motorhoming has been when we have run over debris in the road!both times there were rips in the tyre wall that no amount of goo would repair!would go no where without a spare wheel but dread to think how I would manage to change a wheel at 76!When we had new tyres fitted the fitter had hell of a problem getting the van up to get the spare wheel out of its cradle in the middle of the floor.
Yes no amount of puncture goo will repair wall damage as nothing will. Funny you mention about the spare tyre, I decided to remove mine from underneath, It's never been off since new. I used a trolley jack to take the weight and the 16mm nuts holding the tyre cradle up were seized solid. It took me a while but finally got them off, wire brushed, copper greased and secured back underneath (just in case, hoping I won't need it).

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
Have this or another similar brand goo in my MH tyres, and it has already been called into action. Sealed tyre straight away after a large nail punctured in tread .. and still going strong.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If you can remove a tyre valve and replace it and pump a tyre back up you are capable of DIY inserting pucturesafe.
It's really simple but does take a little while to do on all 4 wheels.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you can remove a tyre valve and replace it and pump a tyre back up you are capable of DIY inserting pucturesafe.
It's really simple but does take a little while to do on all 4 wheels.
Being pedantic, do you mean removing the valve core?

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
This is what happened when a tyre burst on a motorway in Spain. No amount of goo will help. Fortunately we carried a spare.
A6BCE578-5273-4A6A-8BFF-A05372843A19.jpeg

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I call out my rescue service cos I have the same problem at 83

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi..... Where from? Don't they sell from their own website?
Yes, they sell it but you can get it much cheaper from other online sellers. I'm fortunate in that one of my customers has a fleet of vans and buys it in bulk. I'm allowed samples.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Problem with our vehicle we found is if you jack under the axle the wheel goes up into wheel arch and can’t be removed so you jack it up under chassis and axle drops down so far it’s difficult to get off the ground!Tyre fitter used several jacks and blocks of wood!

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Good idea practical but.........

Tyre split new tyre
Need a new tyre that’s the goo gone and needs a refill.
Plus it makes a bloody mess when you change said tyre.

Would I use it, yes.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have just changed tyres that had puncture safe in.
Easy to wash away with water unlike the crsppy guu that the puncture kits have. No detriment to the tyre at all in fact it looks like I had a leaky metal valve that the puncture safe sealed. See the picture, you can see that 1 valve stem is clean while the other has the remnants of the seal where it had leaked.
Interesting that I have only ever changed the valve cores in the past 9 years and thought It was about time I changed the valves.
Good move I think.
IMG_20210320_103402.jpg

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Had it in a couple of vans but taken it out of my van conversion as it unbalanced the front wheels too much. Had Tyrepal on for a while but removed that now as well. I do carry a spare wheel though and can change it if needed.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Had it in a couple of vans but taken it out of my van conversion as it unbalanced the front wheels too much. Had Tyrepal on for a while but removed that now as well. I do carry a spare wheel though and can change it if needed.

there must have been too much pumped in would be my guess, never had any balancing issues in the time i had it. perhaps you lost a weight off a wheel..

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
This is what happened when a tyre burst on a motorway in Spain. No amount of goo will help. Fortunately we carried a spare.
View attachment 474737
Holy smoke batman...
we had a new Eldiss motorhome couple of years ago, drove through France ( those were the days eh) and went over a road bump in a French village going at slow speed. The whole spare wheel carrier sheared off the vehicle and the wheel rolled down the road pretty fast, fortunately hit a house wall not a person. Horrid experience, but at least the tyre hadnt done what yours did makems, looks frightening!

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I call out my rescue service cos I have the same problem at 83
When I had a company car it was expressed forbidden for any company car driver to change a wheel on the side of the road. I changed a wheel once in the work car park after coming out of the office to find the tyre flat. I've had two other punctures. One was driving home at night on a very busy single carriageway A road. I pulled off into a gateway. Being in a rural area I could barely see the wheel never mind change it, so I called out the breakdown folk. The other puncture was a slow one. I had a tyre pressure sensor light come up, checked everything, couldn't see a problem, reset the sensor. Few days later the same thing. As I was passing a tyre fitting place on the way back I got them to put the car up on the ramp where we discovered a nail in the tyre. Right on the edge, of course.
In the van I carry a spare set of wheel bolts which fit the standard steel spare, as the bolts holding on my alloys aren't the same. Learned this from a friend who had to be recovered after a puncture as his spare wheel couldn't be fitted to his van due to not having the right bolts.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I had a puncture going south on the M1 in my Spitfire in the seventies. It was Sunday evening and not much traffic around. I was quite happy to change the wheel but didn't need to as 2 policemen came charging across from the northbound carriageway and insisted on changing it for me. I was a bit miffed actually as they obviously thought I wasn't capable of changing it!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I had a puncture going south on the M1 in my Spitfire in the seventies. It was Sunday evening and not much traffic around. I was quite happy to change the wheel but didn't need to as 2 policemen came charging across from the northbound carriageway and insisted on changing it for me. I was a bit miffed actually as they obviously thought I wasn't capable of changing it!
Won’t happen now. Not allowed too.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Had something in one of the mortorbikes not sure what only discovered we had a puncture when it went in for service, we had done a long tour in Europe shorty before, no idea when or where it happened.
I would like to have it put in the motohome tyres, but yhe jury is out, am also contemplting puttin them in the doblo so I can lower the floor so I get the extra couple of inches I need to stand up straight withought denting the ceiling lining.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back