Pos & Neg terminals for attaching a tyre inflator (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Was checking the tyre pressures before my last trip and found that they were a tad low. Stuck the 12v socket plug on the dealer supplied tyre pump and nothing happened. Checked the fuse (10a) and it had blown. Replaced the fuse and tried again.

Good grief, it struggled. Wheezing and whining like me on a Monday morning. It barely moved the pressure then just got hot and shut down.

I bought a more powerful twin cylinder pump. 15a fuse and it too has a fag lighter socket plug. However, it also has the option of crocodile clips direct onto battery terminals.

My questions are:

1. On the Ducato base, where are the battery terminals to attach the crocodiles to? It is a bit of a faff to lift the battery box cover (see other post) every time you want to put some air in.
2. Can you use the leisure battery terminals to power the pump?
3. We have an EHU socket on our mains. Is keeping it plugged in while operating a pump a good thing? Or do I need to turn the engine over?

Thanks,

Dave

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
No, they should be about 70psi and I checked them and two were below 65psi. Just a bit of a top up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I'd run off leisure battery better if you have solar but why drain starter battery power could cause problems with actually starting vehicle

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Was checking the tyre pressures before my last trip and found that they were a tad low. Stuck the 12v socket plug on the dealer supplied tyre pump and nothing happened. Checked the fuse (10a) and it had blown. Replaced the fuse and tried again.

Good grief, it struggled. Wheezing and whining like me on a Monday morning. It barely moved the pressure then just got hot and shut down.

I bought a more powerful twin cylinder pump. 15a fuse and it too has a fag lighter socket plug. However, it also has the option of crocodile clips direct onto battery terminals.

My questions are:

1. On the Ducato base, where are the battery terminals to attach the crocodiles to? It is a bit of a faff to lift the battery box cover (see other post) every time you want to put some air in.
2. Can you use the leisure battery terminals to power the pump?
3. We have an EHU socket on our mains. Is keeping it plugged in while operating a pump a good thing? Or do I need to turn the engine over?

Thanks,

Dave
Use the jump start connection under the bonnet on nearside. If your battery wont run a compressor for a couple of minutes you have issues

If your worried about it start the engine and check/pump them up prior to driving off

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The Maplin heavy duty tyre inflator blew the 10A fuse for the 12v dash socket the first time I used it. After that it was OK and I still have it as a backup.

These small compressors all tend to get very hot and must be allowed to cool down every few minutes or else they will pack up.

You didn't say which Ducato yours is. The X290 handbook has a diagram showing a small cover under the bonnet you lift up to put one crocodile clip on and a bolt elsewhere for the other clip. Best for the more powerful compressors that draw a bigger current. The compressor lead should have an in-line fuse.

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
On using a new tyre pump it blow a fuse, looked at the instruction needed 20 amp. When connected to the tyre would not run, so now I run the unit just as I connect to the tyre. No further problems 70 psi plus.
Tried a with a neibours pump same problem until I ran the pump and connect to tyre.
This is the first time I have had this sort of problem in all the years I have cars, vans and M/H.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
There is a positive terminal under the bonnet, under a plastic flap. I connect positive to that and negative to a decent earth to the chassis when i use tyre inflators.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
When I use the inflator plugged into the 12v outlet I set the pump going before I attach to the valve. That way the load is gradual and the fuse doesn't blow. I may use the jump start terminals from now on though after I put some clips on the cable.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Maplin heavy duty tyre inflator blew the 10A fuse for the 12v dash socket the first time I used it. After that it was OK and I still have it as a backup.

These small compressors all tend to get very hot and must be allowed to cool down every few minutes or else they will pack up.
I found with the MAPLIN, if you get rid of all the black plastic crap, the pretty bits, they tend to run a lot cooler
Mine would fill a 25ltr air tank from empty to 115psi in around 7 minutes running continuous without problem. It's around 7 or 8 years old now.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use a cordless rechargeable one for checking and adjusting pressures So convenient I also have a biggish twin cylinder one if a tyre needs inflating from flat.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I carry either a mobility scooter battery for this purpose or a small ex car battery.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Vaguely connected to this topic. Tyre pressures should be checked cold, but how cold is cold. There can be 5psi or more difference between a warm autumn day at 15C and a cold one at 2C never mind a summer day in Spain.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We fitted a heavy duty 12v socket directly to the battery with heavier cable and fused at 25a to run any higher load equipment like our 12v coffee machine and a compressor

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Vaguely connected to this topic. Tyre pressures should be checked cold, but how cold is cold. There can be 5psi or more difference between a warm autumn day at 15C and a cold one at 2C never mind a summer day in Spain.
You could always use nitrogen ??

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
And if the tyre pressure is right at 20C why adjust if the temp drops & now they’re low?
When the vehicle is moving and the tyres warm up the pressure will increase.
I don’t understand why vehicle instructions say add more pressure.

Wait until the temperature is a match for when you last set them and adjust if needed.
I look for a tyre that is offset to the others - that’ll be an indication of an issue.
Or the one tyre not in shade on my drive. ?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Unless you're using F1 tyre heaters or you have serious brake problems at each wheel the warm tyre pressures will surely be just as affected by ambient temperature as the cold pressures, so it's always made sense to me to start with the recommended cold pressure whatever the temperature when checking them. A few psi here or there is of no concern though as long as they are all at compatible pressures so I don't go round altering mine for temperature variations unless I find them 5 psi or more over or under what I desire.

Be wary of serious underinflation or incompatible pressures across axles, but it's quite normal now to see recommended pressures for economy in vehicle handbooks which may be up to 10 psi or so higher than "normal" pressures to lower rolling resistance at the expense of passenger comfort.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Being tight I use the economy pressures. This reduces rolling resistance and thus also the amount the tyre heats up in use. Possibly may reduce grip too, we all know about letting tyres down to improve grip on mud etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back