Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Wow! When we were reversing off that bit of the ship I saw what looked like a habitation window on the floor! I said to Ann, looks like someone left their roof up. Maybe not. Shocking.
I have two rules for booking the ferry.
1. Biggest boat
2 Shortest crossing.
That’s why it’s always the Pont Aven from Plymouth to Santander.

No sense of adventure.....:whistle:

Probably more chance of damage driving through France......:)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Stuff the adventure, came back at the end of March and it was very calm.

I hope it's calm on Tuesday.....on my way back to Portsmouth(y)

If it's not.....tough:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
By the time you've driven from Barca to santander you have done half the distance to Calais?

I've done the run to and from Barca through France many times and might have to again but driving solo it's tiring, boring and getting expensive.

The trip across Spain I've done comfortably in 8 hours but prefer to take a couple of days.

Total cost with the discount on Club Voyage is only a little more.

Driving in France is getting less atractive with roundabouts, traffic calming, speed limits that can change every few metres - add to that the increases in fuel prices - and everything else.....

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We've not had things defrost even on the 2 nighter from Portsmouth to Bilbao. We have the freezer full of food and then freeze a couple of 2 pint milk containers and they weren't fully defrosted even on that crossing.
I agree that I wouldn't pay the full price for the brekkie on the Cap Finistere but it's fine for us members. We go equipped with kettle, tea, coffee, milk and snacks. Sometimes take stuff for sandwiches. Have even taken a meal to heat in the microwave after seeing some of the lorry drivers do it.
Each to their own of course. Sorry you didn't like it.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Question, honestly, who leaves the gas on ? ;)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
That question has been asked before on here and surprisingly - quite a few do. (n)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
First time for us on Cap Finisterre from Bilbao to Portsmouth and just arrived back this afternoon.
Dog friendly cabin was fine, food from the cafe was reasonable, crossing was calm all in all just the ticket and would consider it again.
Negatives... Dog owners who consider themselves above the rules ie must have a muzzle when moving to and from exercise area and others who cannot identify the symbols that state dogs not allowed in other areas. Sadly all British and one even argued with the staff l assume because he was caught out walking his dog without muzzle... embarrassing people to put it mildly.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well, we tried it and although it has some advantages, I don't th:D2ink we'll bother again. We arrived in Bilbao exhausted, with defrosted freezer and van covered in sea salt. Although beds are provided in the cabins, I challenge anyone to actually sleep in one without 6 pints of Kronenburg (@£4.10 a pop :eek:)
breakfast is £9.05 each

Anyway at least we tried it :rolleyes:
What are you on about,lovely comfy beds.As good as i have at home and paid £800 for it. Excellent breakfast,,£2.30 for Club Voyage members..Cheaper beer than in France. Something wrong with your fridge. BUSBY.:LOL:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Question, honestly, who leaves the gas on ? ;)

You’re sure to get a lot of negative responses to this question understandably,however, here’s one to ponder, everyone and I mean everyone is positioned by Brittany staff and if it’s so dangerous because of fumes or whatever why don’t they say please ensure your Gas is switched off?

I personally have made various crossings and it must be in well in excess of fifty and I’ve never been asked once. Just asking;)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I said that to Ann "it will be a mini cruise"
It couldn't be further from the truth (in our case) it's like going to prison for a day :ROFLMAO:

We could have been better prepared though. If there's a next time we'll take more food on board and something to read or do.
There are decent bars and restaurants on board,,cinema..quizzes,bingo,entertainment,whale watching what more to you need for 24 hours..BUSBY

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Trouble with travelling to spain everyone has different opinions - there is wear and tear on vehicle either way and if a rough crossing you will probably feel like crap anyway similar to putting high miles through france - but i am happy at moment driving through france my view may change at some point when i dont enjoy driving anymore - at the moment i think direct ferry to spain is a lot more expensive than the ferry to france and fuel down to spain

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
There are decent bars and restaurants on board,,cinema..quizzes,bingo,entertainment,whale watching what more to you need for 24 hours..BUSBY
Not on our 'economie' ferry just a bar and restaurant. There was a warning popped up as I booked saying how sh1t it is, but I'm such a tight sod I ignored it :ROFLMAO:

Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
Club Voyage us £75 with a third off your French crossings, 10% off Spanish crossings. Well worth it if you do 2 trips a year. And a cheaper breakfast.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But if you don't do any of that normally, you don't drink or eat out & nothing interests you it is just clock watching wondering why it doesn't go faster.Like being on a plane.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Not on our 'economie' ferry just a bar and restaurant. There was a warning popped up as I booked saying how sh1t it is, but I'm such a tight sod I ignored it :ROFLMAO:

Loved the 'Economie', small, friendly..

You have to realise that any of the ferries depend on the weather or 'sea state'..

OK driving through France if the weather there is OK and you like driving hours at a time, paying tolls or driving at snails pace through empty French villages and towns just to get to Spain...

The ferry to Bilboa or Santander every time(y)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I must admit as December last year was my first trip over the water, I did not turn off my fridge and was not reminded to do by Brittany Ferries.
I did not realize that it was a problem or even think of it, but it seems it is and I would think that the ferry companies should make sure we do turn off our gas like I’m told the tunnel does and checks.
best Wishes Tony

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Just got back from Bilbao on the cheapo ferry.

We had a clean and comfortable cabin and enjoyed some interesting conversations with other passengers.

We turned our gas off as we read the information provided by Brittany Ferries

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
I’ve always chosen the ferry. As the wife has a fear of tunnels there are very few options left actually short of cadging a lift on a Hercules transport plane!

Due to a ferry dispute a few years ago we once had the ‘pleasure’ of Eurotunnel. Each to their own.

As we holiday once a year on the continent I confess we enjoy the build up, anticipation and experience of ferry travel. This I’m sure harks back to my childhood when Dad would come into our bedroom at 1.00 am announcing we were setting off to catch the early morning ferry from Dover. A long journey by Morris Minor from Nottingham back in 1959. Hell of an an adventure for 2 small boys!

We’ve travelled Portsmouth > Bilbao on 3 occasions now as adults and the excitement hasn’t waned one bit.

In fact even going to France we choose an overnight crossing to Le Havre or St. Malo or wherever you fancy. Even done Plymouth > Roscoff.

I guess you either like boats and the sea or you don’t and just want to get on with it.

Aiming to tour Norway next year so looking at all the ferry opportunities to add another dimension to that excursion. eg overland to Hirtshals and ferry to Bergen.

But in conclusion is the Portsmouth > Bilbao crossing worth it? Absolutely if you want to arrive in Spain, fresh, relaxed, nicely adjusted from work to holiday mode and happy you’ve made it to Spain in a couple of days.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do wish a British company did ferries to Spain.

It’s criminal that you have to use a French company to avoid France.:mad:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Chris I'm probably going to regret asking this, but may I ask why you hate France so much? I have noticed many times in your posts that France is not one of your favourite nations. I am curious, that's all :)

(this is a genuine question to which I accept I am not entitled to ask and I do hope it does not cause offence)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
@Chris I'm probably going to regret asking this, but may I ask why you hate France so much? I have noticed many times in your posts that France is not one of your favourite nations. I am curious, that's all :)

(this is a genuine question to which I accept I am not entitled to ask and I do hope it does not cause offence)

Good question.

I honestly just find it boring and mostly closed.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I have no problem travelling on enclosed ferries like the uk - france route - and i also have good sea leg from using charter boats - biggest issue for me is salt water spray which certainly aids corrosion and the cheaper boats by all accounts have fairly open decks - i wouldn't park it by a sea wall with wind picking up sea water spray either not intentionally - it is all personal choice on wear and tear - but i cant see point in aiding corrosion process on vehicle out of choice - too many square chassis sections you cant access or see rust from the inside out - that is my view which some will agree with other wont - depends on whether you can risk/afford scrapping a 20 yr old vehicle for corrosion issues

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I have no problem travelling on enclosed ferries like the uk - france route - and i also have good sea leg from using charter boats - biggest issue for me is salt water spray which certainly aids corrosion and the cheaper boats by all accounts have fairly open decks - i wouldn't park it by a sea wall with wind picking up sea water spray either not intentionally - it is all personal choice on wear and tear - but i cant see point in aiding corrosion process on vehicle out of choice - too many square chassis sections you cant access or see rust from the inside out - that is my view which some will agree with other wont - depends on whether you can risk/afford scrapping a 20 yr old vehicle for corrosion issues

A bigger problem surely is the use of salt on the roads in Winter...

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
This is a really interesting thread. We always do Dover to Calais but have pondered going another way. There are pros and cons, definitely.

We like the short crossing, either ferry or tunnel, partly because we can leave our canine friend in the motorhome and she has her own bed to curl up in. We also tend to make France part of our holiday. Last spring we spent two weeks in Bordeaux on the way back, which we really enjoyed.

On the other hand all that driving is a pain!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back