Pitches for €151 per night - the most expensive ? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter deleted-member02
  • Start date
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Dearest we paid was 180 euros September at Misano for the MotoGP. The rates for that weekend waere the dearest in the year but they closed after that week for the season.
We also got ripped off at Seahouses, £45 for a night !!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would say that at least Montriog plough a bit of their profit back into the infrastructure on the site. In the past 5 years or so they have invested loads in a new swimming complex and at least 2 new toilet blocks where the facilities are second to none.

There are a lot of sites in France and Spain who might be slightly cheaper but expect you to put up with sub standard facilities.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Cruise the med on white star line Queen Victoria .in June last year 16 nights .all food , waited on at own table in dining room .theatre .restaurants,bars pool .Jacuzzi...balcony cabin for two. Total cost £150 per night for two . Inside cabin £110 per night for two. Better than paying to park your van on a bit of extremely expensive grass .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Cruise the med on white star line Queen Victoria .in June last year 16 nights .all food , waited on at own table in dining room .theatre .restaurants,bars pool .Jacuzzi...balcony cabin for two. Total cost £150 per night for two . Inside cabin £110 per night for two. Better than paying to park your van on a bit of extremely expensive grass .
Don't know about the op one but have walked round the jesolo one when we were on a package tour, all very nice and as someone else mentioned, it's a different story, if you have kids with you, have a look at some haven prices here in school holidays, but when we looked at the prices of this one in jesolo found it was far dearer than what we were paying for a sea front hotel bed and as much breakfast that you could eat.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think its great theres such a variety of sites/aires etc available just a pity the aire option isn't in the uk

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's not about facilities so much for us as the location - We don't need or use site toilet and shower blocks, the whole point of a motorhome is to be self contained and if the site in the OP has loads of swimming pools and things like that it would put us off staying there anyway.

If the site is in the perfect location though, as the two we used in Italy this year were - 1st one 20 yards from the bar and 30 yards from the lake and the 2nd one 20 yards from the lake with its own private beach - then we're happy to pay for that.

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I would say that at least Montriog plough a bit of their profit back into the infrastructure on the site. In the past 5 years or so they have invested loads in a new swimming complex and at least 2 new toilet blocks where the facilities are second to none.

There are a lot of sites in France and Spain who might be slightly cheaper but expect you to put up with sub standard facilities.
I agree, lots of €50-60 camp sites are dire which is why sometimes we pay (what I thought was) top dollar at €80-90 a night for premium sites.
I can't see how a site can possibly be worth a further €50/night but you are telling me how good it is.
I'm almost intrigued to visit just to fulfil my curiosity (someone slap me for even considering it).
SWMBO would likely kill me although I'm sure the kids would thank me for it....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I agree, lots of €50-60 camp sites are dire which is why sometimes we pay (what I thought was) top dollar at €80-90 a night for premium sites.
I can't see how a site can possibly be worth a further €50/night but you are telling me how good it is.
I'm almost intrigued to visit just to fulfil my curiosity (someone slap me for even considering it).
The most puzzling thing to me is that these sites are in country's where you can park for free almost anywhere you want, not here where you don't have much choice.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
All I can add is that some people have much more disposable cash than me to even think about these rip off sites. rip off Britain doesn't even scratch the surface of these .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I think the secret is not to go in the school summer holidays or if you do, avoid the 151 Euro pitches which are those right on the beach.

Last Easter we went and with an ACSI discount (which I think was 3 Euros a night) we had a pitch 3 rows from the beach for about 30 Euros per night.

The weather was crap though:D

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bloody hell some rich folks on here, sorry but we'd never pay that for parking our van we'd book into a B&B first.
We travel extensively all over Europe, Asia, USA and North Africa and have never paid anything like that, in Europe we've never paid more than 25 euros a night and even at that we move on after one night. Admittedly we try not to be away in high / school holiday season but we do occasionally get caught out but still not paid that and always found somewhere to stay.
Thank god for ACSI our average for our recent trip to Sicily was less than 20 euros as was our trip to Spain and Portugal earlier this year.
If we had to pay those sort of prices we'd sell the van use the motorbike and B&B.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dearest we paid was 180 euros September at Misano for the MotoGP.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh s**t. I'd got that pencilled in for 2017. Stayed there many times, hundreds of campsites, I assumed the same during race WE.

It was the same in Jerez this year, the campsite near the circuit was a staggering price, and full. We stayed 20 miles down the road, cheap and a nice ride to the circuit.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh s**t. I'd got that pencilled in for 2017.

It was the same in Jerez this year, the campsite near the circuit was a staggering price, and full. We stayed 20 miles down the road, cheap and a nice ride to the circuit.

Which ones you doing this year? we're thinking of Mugello and Barcelona on the bikes with a week touring the Alps in between and maybe Malaysia.:)
Possibly Valencia depending how the titles going.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have noted that overnight sites at Sunny Skegness are about £15/20 a night. :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Which ones you doing this year? we're thinking of Mugello and Barcelona on the bikes with a week touring the Alps in between and maybe Malaysia.:)
Possibly Valencia depending how the titles going.

No plans yet. Just putting home on market, the garden is killing us. I've never been to the Barcelona track. Might meet you half way or something depending on how things are going here.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I think the secret is not to go in the school summer holidays or if you do, avoid the 151 Euro pitches which are those right on the beach.

Last Easter we went and with an ACSI discount (which I think was 3 Euros a night) we had a pitch 3 rows from the beach for about 30 Euros per night.

The weather was crap though:D
Think the secret is to boycott the. Ripoff site ..

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Bloody hell some rich folks on here, sorry but we'd never pay that for parking our van we'd book into a B&B first.
We travel extensively all over Europe, Asia, USA and North Africa and have never paid anything like that, in Europe we've never paid more than 25 euros a night and even at that we move on after one night. Admittedly we try not to be away in high / school holiday season but we do occasionally get caught out but still not paid that and always found somewhere to stay.
Thank god for ACSI our average for our recent trip to Sicily was less than 20 euros as was our trip to Spain and Portugal earlier this year.
If we had to pay those sort of prices we'd sell the van use the motorbike and B&B.
We don't have to pay, we can (and do) frequently stay at cheaper locations but for a couple of weeks a year I want luxury camping in a prime location. Would rather not pay the exorbitant prices but it's down to supply and demand. As many other families, we have to travel peak time and suffer the costs....
To put it into perspective, our six week tour will cost around €4,000 all in (for a family of four) including a fortnight at silly pitch prices.
A two week inclusive package holiday abroad would probably cost more.
Two weeks in a static caravan in Devon (Haven's Devon Cliffs) costs up to £3300 with food and travelling on top...
Still makes motorhoming incredibly good value and by far the most enjoyable option (y)

Untitled.jpg

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I wouldnt pay that for an apartment of hotel room never mind a few square meters of grass or gravel.
All I can add is that some people have much more disposable cash than me to even think about these rip off sites. rip off Britain doesn't even scratch the surface of these .
Obviously-- if people are willing to be "ripped off" they will be willing to charge stupid prices.Might as well stay in hotels and get rid of van.Some very rich people on here!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Whenever this sort of thread starts there are always loads of posts saying "don't go away during the school holidays"

Some of us don't have any choice. (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The phrase "rip off" keeps cropping up again as well.

Nobody is being ripped off unless they are somehow being forced to stay on this site and pay this price. As far as I'm aware everyone has the choice to either stay there or not?

They are charging what their market will support. If nobody was prepared to pay it then they wouldn't sell the pitches and would reduce the prices.

If the pitches are full for the majority of the period I'd suggest that they have their pricing spot on

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sandy Balls and Haven's Devon Cliffs do come very close o_O

Have stayed in both at no where near the price you are quoting.

Recently stay in Sandyballs, on a premier pitch, 4 nights, for £48

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Have stayed in both at no where near the price you are quoting.

Recently stay in Sandyballs, on a premier pitch, 4 nights, for £48
Me too and I like both sites, I know it's possible to stay for as little as £8 per night.
But during peak season it's likely to be £80+ per night... (would check prices but neither have bookings for 2017 yet)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sandyballs got a deal on at the mo, 4 nights in a lodge £149

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
They are exactly as entitled to ask that amount as I am to refuse to go there and pay it.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
They are exactly as entitled to ask that amount as I am to refuse to go there and pay it.
Yep quite right ,but to put it into perspective my pension which is my sole income would not cover 7 days fees there .so for that reason it doesn't matter just how wonderful the place is in my mind its far far too much to pay plus food and all entertainment..scary. !!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yep quite right ,but to put it into perspective my pension which is my sole income would not cover 7 days fees there .so for that reason it doesn't matter just how wonderful the place is in my mind its far far too much to pay plus food and all entertainment..scary. !!
My weekly pension wouldn't pay for one night:( some figures that are bandied about on here sometimes really make your eyes water.
Must add that I don't rely solely on my pension(y):)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If people are daft enough to pay it, they will have the nerve to charge it.
We never travel in peak season.
CC prices in peak season are reasonable value.
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back