Paying to use French Aires (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Ordered the Nth and Sth Frrench Aires. Postie tracker says delivered. But no sign of 'em. Any favourite Aires Caen to Spain, you can recommend. Travelling in January.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I’m certainly not against it if the facilities are good
We are currently on an aire at Malaucene which is operated by BROKEN LINK and the price is €11 if you have the “Pass ‘etape “ card for that you get EHU, clean water and both grey and black waste disposal plus Wi-fi
The parking bays are all wide enough to get your canopy out so your not rammed in like sardines in a can
I’ve was here two years ago when it was free and it stuffed out with French
But now you have to pay there are only 9 vans on with 26 empty spaces
Today there has been at least 10 French motorhomes arrived and as soon as they see it’s not free there of
Where do you get the etap card from ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europea 69+ Silver
Exp
3 years
CCP have announced they're going to upgrade their entry system to make it easier

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
There are machines at the entrance to each of their sites that issue the cards for around €4 and top up with credit card to pay for entrance, a helpful English speaking person is on the end of a phone should you have difficulty.

Did not work for us even with a nice patient Frenchman helping us and the operator issuing a new card from her position in control.

Two cards did not work on the barrier. We gave up and found a Park4Night.

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Would have taken just a few mins to create a new Google/Hotmail/Yahoo email
I agree, and I’m not IT illiterate, but at the end of a long day it is frustrating. Someone else may well have not understood that the problem was a silly limit on the field length of a required field in order to get the necessary card. I bet the friendly English-speaking voice didn’t have the option to let me in regardless, and doubtless couldn’t change the software on the fly. Apologies to the poor Brit was stuck behind me at the barrier.

Earlier fun in the day was a denied transaction on my credit card just after I had purchased a goodly supply of wine to take home. Eventually found the root cause. I had been using the credit card abroad without problem for six weeks. It expires at the end of the year and a new card is sitting at home waiting for me. Because I was continuing to use the old card the security system finally said enough was enough. Understandable, but frustrating. Zapped by computers twice in one day...

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Looks more spacious than many aires we have seen. Might give it a try next year. Also I assume pretty new because the linked u tube video shows site by lake almost full of mobile homes. Google Earth Streetview seems to show the same old municipal with lots of mobile homes.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, but I’ll bet you the €4 that the internet order still requires an email address and would still reject an email address 32 characters long!

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Did not work for us even with a nice patient Frenchman helping us and the operator issuing a new card from her position in control.

Geoff
Think you must have been unlucky , the system is usually pretty good and once you have the card you can top up online after creating your own account

Deleted User

Geoff

I got my card a couple of years ago and I did need the telephone assistance though the reason for that is now lost in the mist of time, only used it a couple of times since but without problem.

The system does seem a little hit and miss.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Shower Blocks?, Shower Blocks on an Aire?? Why?, we mostly have motor homes with on board facilities dont we?If not stay on a campsite once in a while to get a full shower at campsite prices, and the rivers and sea are free!
Dont know about you guys but I would only want to use my own facilities, even here in The UK on CMC sites that rip me off, I use my own shower.
I would much rather pay a lower barrier price,on a french aire and just have Fresh Water, Grey & Black dump facilities, just as I would expect a lower pitch price for a non electric pitch.

Reading the Vlogs and travels of some funsters on here, it would seem that the days of the free French aire are sadly numbered.

I wont criticise The french that turn up and then disappear from the barriers, as I am also a fully paid up member of The Responsible leave it better than you found it, FLT fraternity, having said that I wouldn't want to be woken up when they are parked so close I can smell The Garlic, or hear them peeing up the back of my van.:swear:
Les

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Used a couple of CCP'sthis year and fortunately found them fine with no entry problems.
Both were pretty quiet, possibly because it was May and of course you are charged.
Both had EHU and excellent wifi, so I considered them reasonable value.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Shower Blocks?, Shower Blocks on an Aire?? Why?, we mostly have motor homes with on board facilities dont we?If not stay on a campsite once in a while to get a full shower at campsite prices, and the rivers and sea are free!
Dont know about you guys but I would only want to use my own facilities, even here in The UK on CMC sites that rip me off, I use my own shower.
I would much rather pay a lower barrier price,on a french aire and just have Fresh Water, Grey & Black dump facilities, just as I would expect a lower pitch price for a non electric pitch

Les

Totally agree.

If many others do also I think that CCP's Business Plan is flawed and doomed to failure, except maybe on the popular summer locations near the sea and other atractions.

What worries me is if CCP give up on some Aires they have taken over will the Mairie accept them back and run them as before?

Fortunately there are enough that they have not got their hands on and there are still plenty of places on Park4night and farms.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I’m certainly not against it if the facilities are good
We are currently on an aire at Malaucene which is operated by BROKEN LINK and the price is €11 if you have the “Pass ‘etape “ card for that you get EHU, clean water and both grey and black waste disposal plus Wi-fi
The parking bays are all wide enough to get your canopy out so your not rammed in like sardines in a can
I’ve was here two years ago when it was free and it stuffed out with French
But now you have to pay there are only 9 vans on with 26 empty spaces
Today there has been at least 10 French motorhomes arrived and as soon as they see it’s not free there of
Shows you what tight arses some campers are..BUSBY??

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Ordered the Nth and Sth Frrench Aires. Postie tracker says delivered. But no sign of 'em. Any favourite Aires Caen to Spain, you can recommend. Travelling in January.
Better to download Campercontact on to your phone.Much better than the books and up to date..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
When we had a caravan and only going for 2 weeks we would pay for sites and we were working and earning.
Now if we go away for 8 weeks even at €12 a night that is nearly €700 which has to come out of our pensions.
Can't take it with you Lennie,,or can you,,have you found a way??BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
As I said in my last post , the 12 euros is only the start, wait till they have everyone stitched up, then the prices will soon rise, and anyone who doesn't need any of the things you quote will end up paying the same, because you can gaurantee once these places have the upper hand you will start getting car park fees or even motorhome bans in villages to push you into them.
To old to worry about that now
.BUSBY??

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just a note of caution. Just ordered a card on-line and there is a shipping charge of €4.10. Also it won't let you proceed with the order unless you also put credit on the card, min €10.

I've ordered this as a one-off just-in-case just to give us a couple more options. If I do use it, I'll top up again.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Shows you what tight arses some campers are..BUSBY??

I think you are jumping o conclusions there.

If they all were French they may have had several reasons for not wanting to use the CCP facilities

They had used the Aire before either free or for a more modest fee.

Many French do not like privatisation by the Mairies.

They pay high taxes which used to pay for these facilities and still pay high taxes, so do not want to pay twice.

They may have had trouble with the system, like I had(see above)

They, like me, do not want to pay for facilities they will not use.

One thing CCP have in their favour - no wardens to tell you where you have to park, but nor have Aires.

I am not a tight arse but I do not like what CCP are doing to the market in general.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I think you are jumping o conclusions there.

If they all were French they may have had several reasons for not wanting to use the CCP facilities

They had used the Aire before either free or for a more modest fee.

Many French do not like privatisation by the Mairies.

They pay high taxes which used to pay for these facilities and still pay high taxes, so do not want to pay twice.

They may have had trouble with the system, like I had(see above)

They, like me, do not want to pay for facilities they will not use.

One thing CCP have in the ir favour - no wardens to tell you where you have to park, but nor have Aires.

I am not a tight arse but I do not like what CCP are doing to the market in general.

Geoff
I did say some?,but personaly,,just my view but i cannot understand why someone will pay 50 grand plus for a van..i wouldnt and could not afford too ,but many can and do then begrudge paying a few euros or other currency for somewhere to park for the night safely. Probably some have found a way to take their money with them but i came into this world with nowt and i am sure i will leave with nowt..Just hate tightness.BUSBY..Sorry no offence.?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
My experience of around a dozen CCP aires is that they have re-opened (and improved considerably) municipal aires and campsites which were previously closed (or about to be closed in the case of one near us). So take your pick, a CCP aire or no aire.

Deleted User
Anything is better than being hemmed in both sides by French vans. At honfleur last year I got up in the morning and could not open the hab door. A french motorhome decided the was room.... And this an aire that costs €11. No thanks. Great location but I don't want that crowding.
We were at Honfleur a few years ago it was 7 euros then, packed in like sardines and didn’t dare think what would happen if there was a fire. There was multiple connections to every ehu. The toilet emptying point was overflowing and running down the site. I would rather pay a few extra euros and go on an ACCI site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back