LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
……required for Jac. Went to see a consultant on Monday who advised that, as her knee joint is getting worse (osteoarthritis) she will need a partial knee replacement asap….. :(. Her condition has disrupted our plans (5 trips cancelled since November) so we’re anxious to get it sorted quickly.
Have any Funsters had a partial knee replacement, or know of someone who has - we’d really like some pointers on recovery times, etc.?:unsure:🤞

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Don’t know about partial replacements but Mrs Makems has had both knees totally replaced. She was back on her feet in about 2-3 weeks. She had her ops done about 3 months apart by the same consultant. Pain management was poor first time, but she made sure consultant wrote a pain management plan for the second one.
She took no prisoners with the nursing staff when they failed to provide the prescribed meds at the the correct time. (One nurse asked her if she was “imagining the pain”, another asked her if she wanted a couple of paracetamol! 😂)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
makems I've seen Gwen in action and can totally believe it, has the two new knees made a lot of difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I have had both total knee replacements. Recovery time varied, the first was super quick but the second not so. They would not let me out of hospital until I could walk with crutches and traverse a flight of stairs. For the first one I completed the test on day 2. From there it is a regime of exercise and rest. So full recovery could be said to be a few months, gaining more movement and duration along the way.
One very important aspect is the exercise regime. Make sure you follow it. No pain = no gain and use or lose it are two phrases to keep in mind.

Geoff

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
My daughter has just has both partial knee replacements done in November in the Nuffield. She found it very painful especially the first one. Cryotheraphy helped her. Now walking perfectly normally with no pain.
I had a complete knee placement in July in Orthopaedic hospital near Oswestry. No pain whatsoever. In 3 weeks I was walking normally with full flexion/ extension. Full marks to the NHS👍👍

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
makems I've seen Gwen in action and can totally believe it, has the two new knees made a lot of difference.
For several wonderful years she was very active following her knee ops as you know. Sadly she now has a problem with her hip burser that has defied all attempts to rectify including an operation. She now has difficulty walking and even driving the car. She has had to accept that there is no medical solution to the problem - just pain management.

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
I have two partial ones, close to 15 years now maybe more I forget.
The first one I had been on Tramadol, for a long time and was addicted I had a hell of a job getting off it.
So the second one I did with paracetamol, of course, the recovery was painful, for a while.

Do the exercise it has to bend and will, your tears will dry up and it will get better.

Good luck, I would have no hesitation if it was possible should the need arise, in having them done again.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
……required for Jac. Went to see a consultant on Monday who advised that, as her knee joint is getting worse (osteoarthritis) she will need a partial knee replacement asap….. :(. Her condition has disrupted our plans (5 trips cancelled since November) so we’re anxious to get it sorted quickly.
Have any Funsters had a partial knee replacement, or know of someone who has - we’d really like some pointers on recovery times, etc.?:unsure:🤞

Had a partial Knee replacement in Jan. 2008, no problem, out of hospital in three days, Pysio made a big thing of walking UP stairs (good foot leads going up, bad foot leads going down). Go walkies every day they say, Which I did,. still do!

Checked every year for 4 years X-Ray and stuff!

After 15 years get the occasional twinge if I overdo the kneeling (gardening and stuff) forgetting the Padded Kneeler, but! still walk to the garage to get the paper every morning (about 400 metres) Considering before, could not walk very far at all without pulling up for a rest from the pain.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Had one knee done 10 years ago - fine. Had second done in July. Usual hospital stay is from morning day one to afternoon day 2. I was in a couple of nights longer because of kidney function readings. All fine now. As others have said exercise is key. It will make or break both recovery and onward mobility. Exercises EVERY day without fail. So mid July had op, first trip in van October. We have a PVC with fixed beds that have a couple of steps up (& down to loo in night) Now - walking fine, more upright, back is better than it was. Actual full recovery is two years. And I know from my first one it keep improving even when you think it is recovered.
Pain - yes it bloody hurts! Pain management was good - problem is more muscular than in your knee, because other muscles have to adjust. Slept sort of sitting up to start with. ALso you suddenly get sort of cramps in your leg. But it all passes, it is all worthwhile.
Dont know what a partial knee replacement is. Do they just mean they are not replacing the patella? If so, that is, I believe, quite normal. If it is anything less I would push for what most of us call a full replacement. Once you have had part done, the rest will deteriorate.
I originally had a hip replaced which definitely caused deterioration in first knee. These things can all have knock on consequences.
I think if you search this forum you will find other threads on replacements which might also be helpful.
Anything you want to know - just ask. We can all tell you the gory details!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
TKR for me about 4/5 years ago, lots of infections pain and swelling for a good few months. Still haven't got full mobility back in terms of knee bend but pretty much there and yes I did all the exercises, BUT the relief from the pain I was getting before the op was well worth it and wouldn't hesitate to have it done again.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
A few things I forgot to say
Expect bruising and swelling
Getting in a swimming pool is good for it, just paddling gently about, or walking in the water.
Rule of thumb is don’t drive for 6 weeks. That is all about manipulating pedals and being able to do an emergency stop, but it gives a good idea of initial recovery period. I was actually quite uncomfortable in a car, as a passenger, for about four weeks.
Round here you get regular physio appointments, initially weekly and then monthly, for about 10 weeks.
One last thought, despite short hospital stays, and being up and moving around, albeit with frame or sticks or crutches, it is still a major operation and a major assault on your body. A foreign object is being put into your body which your body needs to accept. The recovery process needs to be taken seriously, in some ways it is at least as important as the op itself.

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
It just goes to show how different it is for everyone. I had excellent pain control in the hospital. I can say I only ever suffer discomfort not pain. I went to physio for week 1 and could do all the exercises including full revolutions of the bike and was discharged after 3 sessions as I was literally good as new. Coming off the pain medication was not good as I decided to go " cold turkey" and stopped without reducing first. Not something I would either recommend or do again. It was horrid.
I would say that I appear to have quite a high pain threshold. I am nearly 76 years old.
Good luck. Think you will be fine and you will.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
There is a wide range of problems and experiences, I would add do as much of suggested exercise before the op. Strengthen the muscles before everything really hurts. Then after op I used knee cushion whilst trying to slsleep.i had to use aN ice pack around knee for 2 years. I had the full range of movement in days and chucked out of physio after 2 weeks but back after 6 months. Look after yourself.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
There is a wide range of problems and experiences, I would add do as much of suggested exercise before the op. Strengthen the muscles before everything really hurts. Then after op I used knee cushion whilst trying to slsleep.i had to use aN ice pack around knee for 2 years. I had the full range of movement in days and chucked out of physio after 2 weeks but back after 6 months. Look after yourself.
There is some advice not to use a knee cushion overnight because it keeps the leg bent.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
As already mentioned we all react differently to surgery.
I had a TKR 15 months ago, at first all good, followed the gym regime to the letter, then movement started to get restricted.
In theatre the surgeon managed to get me on flexion 135" after 8 months I was down to 80', my body was making loads of scar tissue, so back into theatre were I had the MUA procedure (manipulation under anaesthetic).
The surgeon managed to get me to 110' Flexion and 10' extension, again I followed the gym regime to the letter only for my knee to start to seize up again so I have just had another MUA procedure, pre op Flexion was 90' surgeon managed to get the knee to 115" but feared the Tendon would snap if he tried anymore.
So I am now back in the gym taking it easy to keep the flexion, my knee has given me loads of pain over the years so I'm used to that.
I am very envious of those that have a good range of movement after a TKR , I certainly haven't got that range but I will just keep working at it.
I suppose 35 yrs training in Martial Arts, Skiing and playing Squash have taken their toll, I thoroughly enjoyed my sports and wouldn't change my past despite the limitations I know have.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Got to say , I think? my "recovery" was down to the machine they strapped me up to right from the start. This thing bent my knee 24/7, I used to unstrap myself during the night and take a wander up and down the ward a few times, then get back in and strap myself in again.

Hardest part in the Duchy Hospital was having to sleep on my back, and with my Leg strapped to this damned machine, bending! ,bending! my knee, it was almost impossible to sleep.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I had a full knee replacement 9 years ago,,Had it early April,, on the road to Spain early May,,Did a 12 mile walk in June..Was 69 when I had it done..BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back