On the way to Benidorm..... Route ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Has anyone gone via Clermont-Ferrand at all ?
We have always avoided it because (according to the maps ), the A75 ( D909 ) goes through a quite high mountain route.. We have chains but do not wanna use them !!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I'll check with Eddie but pretty sure it's the way we always go, we have had snow but no problems, there is a very good Aire there. I always look out for a notice board on that route after Clement Ferrant it says be aware Wild Wolves. It is a beautiful run.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We usually go that way. The Aire at La Canourgue is good, plenty of space, free water and toilet emptying. We don't go this time of year though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go !
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We went down that way for 2014 Morocco run 28 dec
No problems except cold and foggy especially over millau bridge area

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Came home that way one jan,,Minus 20 degs and snowing but they kept the road open,,,Must have been the correct type of snow,,BUSBY,,

Reactions: DBK
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We have done both the central route and the western route and prefer the western one.
It is less hilly, and you avoid Barcelona. Try and do it on a Saturday and Sunday especially the bit south of Poitiers / Bordeaux to the Spanish border on the Sunday with no trucks.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Should have said.. We do not do tolls at all..
Tried it with, tried it without, and it makes so little difference ( less than a couple of hours ) we long since took the decision..
9 years of wintering in Spain and I do not think we have ever done the same route twice :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We are near Valencia now, we came over the Pyrenees at andorra through the snows, once in Spain we are on the toll road and it feels my wallet is going down at the same rate as the fuel gauge. Every few miles I had to pay again by card and now it is a taken ticket and pay when coming off soon. I think my money is not going to last very long,as the road is very long from Barcelona to Valencia . We feel very lonely on the motorway as there seems nothing on it at all which usually means very dear prices, Parking up now at a hotel site on a service area for a
Happy New Year alone in the van. Made a real cocky by listening to showseller when I bought my gas it converts as we do not hav a Spanish one and have used one complete cylinder already an cannot fill them up anymore unless we go into Portugal or meet somebody with a converter .At least it is warmer here at 17.5 as against Andorra .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We are near Valencia now, we came over the Pyrenees at andorra through the snows, once in Spain we are on the toll road and it feels my wallet is going down at the same rate as the fuel gauge. Every few miles I had to pay again by card and now it is a taken ticket and pay when coming off soon. I think my money is not going to last very long,as the road is very long from Barcelona to Valencia . We feel very lonely on the motorway as there seems nothing on it at all which usually means very dear prices, Parking up now at a hotel site on a service area for a
Happy New Year alone in the van. Made a real cocky by listening to showseller when I bought my gas it converts as we do not hav a Spanish one and have used one complete cylinder already an cannot fill them up anymore unless we go into Portugal or meet somebody with a converter .At least it is warmer here at 17.5 as against Andorra .
From just north of Tarragona there is the A7 which runs along side the AP 7 and its free and runs nearly to the Ebro and then the old road down to Valencia,,Toll road from south of Valencia to Benidorm is about 12 euros if i remember correctly,,BUSBY,,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you just need an adaptor for the gas I think you will find many filling stations carry them.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We have always avoided it because (according to the maps ), the A75 ( D909 ) goes through a quite high mountain route.. We have chains but do not wanna use them !!
@BreweryDave just came up that way yesterday /today. Sure he said at Clermont -Ferrand its was T shirt weather.

There is no one on them as it is New years eve. What you should have done was dropped straight down from Andorra to the A23 ( Autovia Mudéjar) from Zaragoza to Sagunto/Valencia then around using the A7/E15

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
We are on our way down to Mojacar.

Saturday night Portsmouth - St Malo (let's just say it was choppy)
Drove down to South of Bordeaux (had 18C at one point, but it's raining now).
Currently at a nice aire at Parentis en born. About four other M/homes, just seeing how much the included hook up can take before tripping...

Tomorrow, Tonka's route to Teruel and Dinopolis. A decent drive I know.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp

Did the entire A75 route today south to north then the non toll from CF northwards as heading to near Paris for a new van!
I can assure you it's as clear as a bell, no snow, and quite warm! Plenty of fog this morning around Millau, but otherwise a lovely run. Rather than snow chains, I reccomended sunglasses and shorts - honest! I think it's one of my favourite motorways. Couple of great free stops too, one at the services at a place called L'Orange or similar ( that's not right, but you'd know it if you saw the sign,) about 60 k south of CF, and of course the visitor centre at the Millau viaduct, northern end. No issues with overnighting at both and services available.

IMG_1435.JPG

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi @Jaws,
We live in the south of France and always use A75 even in snow it is always kept clear and there are many Aires to stop and rest if you wish.
The Millau toll is too expensive and now they have bypassed the town very little difference in time. Follow the signs as there is a strange left turn halfway down the hill going south.
To bypass Barcelona going South set SatNav for N 41.61377, E 2.35208 then jump on motorway for just one junction .85cents then free, set SatNav again for N 41.34632,E 1.71375 where you come off at Villafranca jct28 €3.60 saves a lot of time and getting stuck in Barcelona. You can avoid the second toll but the distance costs more in fuel than the toll. 2 axles more for tag or twin wheels.
Have a good trip, we are in Beni for New Year fireworks tonight.
Steve

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Millau viaduct toll was €12. Went through it this morning in a 5t 8.5m tag burstner! Well worth it especially when you consider the rest of the road is free! And a stunning drive.
Is it that price anytime of day/week or is it variable? Like rush hour etc

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
No idea! That was the price the auto booth charged me about 10.30 this morning!
Price is kinda irrelevant if that's the way you want to go, and I did!
But hey, I'll not be able to afford to do it again this year.............:whistle:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
From Calais I just stick it in the satnav, no tolls and hey presto.... there’s your route (y)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
The price changes from Summer to Winter more in Summer. Once you have gone over it once, hardly worth €12 to save about 10 to 15 minutes. @BreweryDave should have paid more over 3,500 kg. But whatever suits.
Happy New Year to all.
Steve

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
From Calais I just stick it in the satnav, no tolls and hey presto.... there’s your route (y)
5.5 tonne witha wimpy 2.3 lump, we have be aware of snow and mountains
Snow is ok
Mountains are ok
Both together can cause us problems..plus we try and avoid doing the same route year on year cos it gets boring !

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
The price changes from Summer to Winter more in Summer. Once you have gone over it once, hardly worth €12 to save about 10 to 15 minutes. @BreweryDave should have paid more over 3,500 kg. But whatever suits.
Happy New Year to all.
Steve
You're not wrong, but I just pay what the machine tells me! I believe the sensors must go on height and I ( my van!) am fortunate to be a tad under 3m tall. Always been a class 2 wherever I've been and always pay what the auto booth tells me to!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
5.5 tonne witha wimpy 2.3 lump, we have be aware of snow and mountains
Snow is ok
Mountains are ok
Both together can cause us problems..plus we try and avoid doing the same route year on year cos it gets boring !

I can recommend a good weather app too...(y)

I’ll be doing the same next week but going across Spain as I’m going towards Malaga first...

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just re-read my post about bypassing Barcelona. After the first short bit of toll road 85cents you stay on the motorway which is free right through Barcelona then about 20k of toll for €3.60 till you exit onto the N Road at junction 28. Sorry to confuse.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back