Not a happy bunny

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Longjohn, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Longjohn

Longjohn Funster

Ratings:
    +71
    We recently changed our motorhome for what we hoped would be our dream motorhome, on the day before collection which was a Tuesday we where called saying it wasn't ready and the rear view camera was not working and would need to go to Mercedes for a update, I advised them I had paid £60 for train tickets and was none to pleased, they then informed me that the van was booked in at Mercedes on Thursday for me to drop off which I had agreed to as I was told it was only a hour or so job do but not without being told and especially as we where booked to go away on Friday.
    I had a bit of a wobbler and told them I wanted a refund for the let down, eventually I agreed for them to deliver it that day and they would collect and get the camera sorted for us at a later date which all sounded good.
    The van was delivered which is brand new but we noticed that the toilet had been used and the urine was still in there, we ignored this as all we wanted was to get on with it and go away on the Friday.

We went away and had a great time.

This Tuesday a driver was sent to collect the van and sort out the camera issue and he would return it the next day, the next day came and went and then ran into Thursday, I had a call saying it was all sorted and it was on its way back.

When the driver brought it back I noticed there was a couple of deep scratches on the front of the bumper and the front cream leather seats were badly soiled with dirt/oil, I also noticed that half a tank of diesel had been used and an addition 90miles had been added to the clock, I had allowed 80 miles there and back to the dealers but it looks like someone has been taking drives in it.
    I also noticed that the TV was extended out on th bracket swinging around as it was driven back to us.

Is it me being picky or do I have a right to be pissed off after spending over £100k on a motorhome and having the service I would expect from a back street garage.

What would other people do or is this the norm, my previous local to me dealer Morans who unfortunately does not do the brand I have chosen used to be such a great caring family run business who would not have let this happen

The sales side of the company I have used are great but the service side is very poor now in my books.

Unhappy Jonny.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +34,156
    I would be straight back to the dealer.
    Take photos of all the damage and email them first to give them a chance to explain and offer some kind of recompense.
    Does it have a tracker.
    You maybe able to trace where it's been for the extra miles, the dealer would have no excuse for that as it will be date and time stamped for the period it was in their care.

• Like it Like it x 7
  3. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Ratings:
    +11,795
    That's horrendous, has someone had a night away in the motorhome or been showing off to their friends?
    I think you've every right to be angry, I'd be apoplectic & heads would roll.

• Like it Like it x 4
  4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,056
    Blimey I'm suprised you haven't exploded, that is outrageous. I think I would want everything sorted properly and a retrospective discount for the second hand van they are palming you off with at least 10%.
    As for fixing it, the toilet get them to give you a fresh up kit which has a new cassette & seat. The scratches, don't let them just touch them in, if it's a white body they need reparing with gel coat don't let them spay it, if silver get them to respray the whole bumper because if they just do the area it he sprayed area may show up after a year or two.

What's the van?

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Longjohn

Longjohn Funster

Ratings:
    +71
    I have emailed and tried to call the only person to reply is the service guy who has said he will get a mobile repair done on the bumper and a mobile valeter to clean it, the after sales girl was on another line and then broke up for her holidays before she could speak to me, I have lost all faith in the company and feel like selling the motorhome and starting again.

IMG_3418.jpeg IMG_3419.jpeg IMG_3420.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Love it Love it x 1
  6. Longjohn

Longjohn Funster

Ratings:
    +71
    Hymer BMC 680 I, brand new van with trotter independence warranty

7. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Ratings:
    +287
    You have every right to be angry, I agree with Lenny HB suggested route. Keep copies of everything for future reference, just in case you take them to court. Agree with your assessment of Moran's, I too wish they delt with other brands.

Good luck.

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. Lenny HB

Ratings:
    +29,056
    I wouldn't let them get away with that, looks like a white bumper needs a proper GRP man to do the job.
    The seats look like someone has spent days lounging about in it with dirty overalls not just a casual brush by a mechanic.

Reject it, by one in Belgium or Germany and put 15 grand in your pocket.:)

• Like it Like it x 7
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  9. Cliffdale

Cliffdale Funster

Ratings:
    +2,851
    Nah! enjoy your new van.

We bought a new power boat a few years ago now. It had a 400 litre holding tank for black waste. First time we pumped it out at sea, the manufacturer had not fitted the waste pipe and it pumped around 300 litres of sewerage into the bilges!!

Boy did i complain!

Anyways, after the dealer paid several times to have the bilges cleaned and sterilized, and fix the problem, we had so many wonderful years of boating.. One of my biggest regrets was selling the boat to buy a yacht!

If your dealer will fix it, ENJOY your new van!!!! That's my experience!

• Like it Like it x 6
  10. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

Ratings:
    +30,378
    Get the bumper fixed,, clean the seat and loo,, get a chunk of cash back and use it to travel and enjoy the experience of a brand new van!
    Good luck

• Like it Like it x 6
  11. PhilMary

PhilMary Funster

Ratings:
    +257
    I agree with most above, or reject it as unfit for purpose. You bought a new motorhome not a used one. You could let them fix the problems then buy it as secondhand.
    Phil

• Like it Like it x 3
  12. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,332
    You have written the details out well. Formalise them in an email and finish the letter with the threat of rejection but asking for a compensation figure and for whatever else you want fixed. Be sure and reject the first 2 offers.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  13. Southdowners

Southdowners Funster

Ratings:
    +10,699
    I don't think you're being picky at all - I'd be livid. You bought a new motorhome and that's what you should have.

I'd write to the dealership giving all the details, the timeline of events and the photos you have. I'd make an appointment to meet with a person in authority at the dealership and take the vehicle in to discuss what they will do to resolve the issue.

I hope you get everything sorted out and compensation for your trouble.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Ratings:
    +15,731
    Personally I could never justify paying anything like £100k for anything that didn't have concrete foundations....

Never even paid £20k for a MH and have had few problems with any of them.......and a spare £80k to sort them;)

Not unsympathetic, just a different point of view.....

• Like it Like it x 6
  15. Lenny HB

Ratings:
    +29,056
  16. StephandJohn

StephandJohn Funster

Ratings:
    +641
    Did you use your credit card to pay for any of it. If so just check out with them if they can help. I think even if you've only paid a small amount on a card they have to assist you.
    Also Trading Standards are very helpful.
    It sounds like you'll have to be tough with them and so all the support yu can get the better.

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. Lenny HB

Ratings:
    +29,056
    Only if total price is under 30k.

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +32,361
    If you paid for it on finance/part finance get them involved, there is no way on earth I would accept a brand new van not only delivered in a 'used' condition, but then damaged by the dealer's staff.

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +4,176
    That's bl○○dy terrible news.

The damage is one thing but having someone pee in your toilet prior to delivery is something else.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  20. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +36,209
    Ok playing devils advocate here but

Whilst I get you're annoyed and quite rightly so I'm assuming you've waited a while for this vehicle.

The bumper damage I'd be the most annoyed about but it can be repaired and the dealer should cover that.

The oily mark on the seat , that happens with mechanics they tend to put thin plastic seat covers over when doing work but they are next to useless ....that combined with white leather seats results in dirty marks ....a valet will clean it . But be prepared you'll always be cleaning them ....I hated having light coloured upholstery in cars and previous camper and I'd never purposely buy a motorhome with them as I'd be constantly scared to use it.

As for the pee in the toilet ....it's a pee, maybe the delivery driver got caught short either way it's not something worse having an anurism over.

Have the dealer fix the bumper clean the seat and empty the toilet .....couple of tablets for the headache and enjoy the van.

• Like it Like it x 11
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1