LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
For me the worst parts would be 1.the scratches, 2.the missing miles (did someone spend a snealy night in it)
The rest, clean the seat, I'm sure it's not the last time you will have to do that, and empty / clean the toilet, then finally enjoy your lovely motorhome which you's have waited for.
Missing miles ?

The op said he had allowed 80 miles for the journey to and from the dealer.

It came back having done 90 miles that's a ten mile difference

I mean cmon.

I know that when you're upset about something you can blow the smallest thing out of proportion but really on a £100k van that you've had to order and wait on ....a small scratch , a dirty mark on a seat and a pee in a toilet is not worth the hassle of rejecting a vehicle , months of heartache misery and missed enjoyment.

The dealer will fix the scratch good as new , the seat will clean up , the pee is perhaps cheeky but realistically no harm done and a 10 mile discrepancy is neither here nor there.

I don't believe for a second someone has spent a night away with the van there would be a lot more signs and miles if they had.

Having seen and read some of the serious issues folk have had with new vans and the months of agony they've went through to get it sorted...in comparison really it's not worth all the agro.

As @Jim said there will be worse scratches to come in use and without seatcovers a lot of work keeping seats clean.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Missing miles ?

I believe it was an EXTRA 90 miles, ie on top of the 80 allowed, including half a tank of diesel used for the whole trip, so that's not just an extra 10 miles.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I read it like @Minxy Girl as having done an additional 90 miles, although not that well explained.Hopefully the Op will confirm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
I believe it was an EXTRA 90 miles, ie on top of the 80 allowed, including half a tank of diesel used for the whole trip, so that's not just an extra 10 miles.
Yes there was 170 miles extra on so an additional 90miles.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Safely this reflects the very poor standards of the humans employed in the PDI and customer services. It is totally unacceptable when parting with that amount of cash. Hymer should be made fully aware of the cretins they have on their dealership network, it would of course helped if the product had been properly checked before delivery from the fatherland .
They are making a lot of bad press here lately!

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I know you haven't named the dealer, but your posts contain enough clues to clearly identify them.

If my suppositions are correct, then the dealer has recently spent considerable sums of money on emphasising the quality of it's facilities and it's supposed professionalism. I think the last thing they would want at this point is the sort of bad publicity your experience would engender.

I would go along with others on here who suggest you try to put this episode behind you and get on with enjoying the 'van. I do think, however, that you deserve a formal apology and some substantial recompense, perhaps in the form of a couple of years free servicing or similar.

I wouldn't bother talking to 'sales' or 'customer services', I'd be straight on to the MD and I hope he'd be mortified by your experience.

I agree with your comments on Morans, fabulous, ethically run family company who really do go the extra mile. Nice people too!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Has the dealer even been contacted about the matters?

It would be fairer to hear the dealer's response before posting.......he might be as upset as the customer......

Just saying....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Although the bumper damage is not that significant the way they are going to repair it is unacceptable.
It is a GRP front end and it needs a proper for man to do a gel coat repair a quit simple job it you get the right guy and it will be indistinguishable from the original. Having a mobile car repair guy is not on.

OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
I really don't want any hassle and just want to get on with enjoying my van, I wouldn't like to identify the dealer until they have had time to consider what they will do.

I feel bad complaining but it really has got to me and upset my wife who was gutted by it.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Sometimes getting stroppy is the only way, years ago a mate of mine had a recall on his new Citroen, he went into the garage, found the manager and said that if the car didn't come back pristine, he would be having a word with him, when he picked up, they had polished it.:D

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The extra 90 mile is like somebody stealing your brand new car/bike/Moho off your drive and going for a jolly.

I spent a lot of money on a new bike last week and I'd be really pissed off if somebody 'stole' it for a quick ride.

The first few weeks are magic with a new vehicle and it's for you to savour. Now it's tainted.

And what if you get a speeding or parking ticket in a few weeks ?

And peeing in your loo ? It's like peeing in your lounge in your house.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The extra 90 mile is like somebody stealing your brand new car/bike/Moho off your drive and going for a jolly.

I spent a lot of money on a new bike last week and I'd be really pissed off if somebody 'stole' it for a quick ride.

The first few weeks are magic with a new vehicle and it's for you to savour. Now it's tainted.

And what if you get a speeding or parking ticket in a few weeks ?

And peeing in your loo ? It's like peeing in your lounge in your house.
It may well be a simple case that the dealer subcontracted the camera work out hence the miles.

And peeing in you motorhome loo is not like peeing in your lounge in your house.

In the toilet in your house perhaps but if someone had peed on the cushions in the camper that might be compared to peeing in your lounge.

Yeah it might be annoying but there may well be a perfectly good reason for it.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I have reread this thread a few times

The van was initially delivered with the toilet used - not nice - probably by a driver - and the camera not working

The OP then went away in the van and had a great time

It was after that the vehicle was taken back for the camera to be fixed and the dirty seat and scratches were noted (last Thursday)

The complaint to the dealer was made either Thursday or Friday, on Saturday the complaint is aired here

I think the dealer should be given a little more time to sort out the complaint.

Some have suggested a 10% refund for pee in the toilet and the camera not working - £10k - really? - the dirty seat and scratches were after the van had been used by the OP.

Correct me if I am wrong about the above

It has also been suggested that he should get a refund and buy in Germany or Belgium and save £15k - presumably folks doing this are prepared to return to the dealer for warranty work - or do they expect UK dealers who made nothing on the sale to sort stuff?

All businesses that have service or repair facilities are usually booked weeks in advance - they do not need or want extra problems but have to try and fit them in.

It's now Monday morning - give the dealer a chance to sort it out

OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
I have reread this thread a few times

The van was initially delivered with the toilet used - not nice - probably by a driver - and the camera not working

The OP then went away in the van and had a great time

It was after that the vehicle was taken back for the camera to be fixed and the dirty seat and scratches were noted (last Thursday)

The complaint to the dealer was made either Thursday or Friday, on Saturday the complaint is aired here

I think the dealer should be given a little more time to sort out the complaint.

Some have suggested a 10% refund for pee in the toilet and the camera not working - £10k - really? - the dirty seat and scratches were after the van had been used by the OP.

Correct me if I am wrong about the above

It has also been suggested that he should get a refund and buy in Germany or Belgium and save £15k - presumably folks doing this are prepared to return to the dealer for warranty work - or do they expect UK dealers who made nothing on the sale to sort stuff?

All businesses that have service or repair facilities are usually booked weeks in advance - they do not need or want extra problems but have to try and fit them in.

It's now Monday morning - give the dealer a chance to sort it out

The main reason for posting here was to see if anyone thought my feeling of anger was over top, my wife was all most in tears it’s our pride and joy, would most people accept this.
Normally I take things in my stride and accept little niggles and sort them out my self due to years of experience.
Like I mentioned earlier the van was taken by a casual employed driver to Mercedes and then back to me, its in-between this time that the van recorded more miles, dirty seats and damaged front end.
I’m thinking it may be better not complaining and just sorting out the repairs myself.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I think you should complain and ask for explanations at least

I think some of the replies were just too OTT

Hope you and your wife can put it behind you and enjoy your van(y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The main reason for posting here was to see if anyone thought my feeling of anger was over top, my wife was all most in tears it’s our pride and joy, would most people accept this.
We've been through the same over a caravan we had ordered from a dealer, whilst at the NEC. They got it so wrong, and not as agreed at the time of the transaction. It was making Rita really ill worrying and stressing over it, so in the end we had to agree to lose half of our deposit, to get out of the deal, so I know exactly where you and yours are at right now. :(

Normally I take things in my stride and accept little niggles and sort them out my self due to years of experience.
Me too, however............

Like I mentioned earlier the van was taken by a casual employed driver to Mercedes and then back to me, its in-between this time that the van recorded more miles, dirty seats and damaged front end.
..............that would really pee me off too, and it would be a point of principle for me, to get to the bottom of that, in the hope that a case of negligence could be established, with recompense to follow. Good luck. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I’m thinking it may be better not complaining and just sorting out the repairs myself.

I don't think your feeling of anger was over the top at all. We wouldn't have accepted the damage without complaint. We would, at the very least, expect that the dealership would look closely at what the driver did with the vehicle during the time it was away and, of course, rectify the problems.

If they're using self-employed drivers they should have a clear contract with them detailing their responsibilities whilst the vehicle is in their care. The dealership can't wash their hands of their responsibility because the driver wasn't directly employed by them.

Have they got back to you about the additional 90 miles and the damage?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Please do NOT feel guilty about complaining, you have been let down badly due to how their staff have treated your MH, if they've done it to yours, they'll do it to others, so look at is as 'protecting' others from the same thing.

We had a similar issue with our camper when we took it to Fiat for some warranty stuff, when we went to collect it they'd scuffed the side wheel-arch trims which were perfect when it went it ... we were NOT happy at all and they knew it. It looked like they'd manoeuvred another vehicle and got too close to ours, fortunately other than the trim it was okay so that was replaced (that's another story!) so an easier fix than your bumper.

You need your MH repairing to the same standard as it was when you bought it, with someone who knows about the particular way the bumper is made and can do it properly, not a car mobile repairer! The toilet, annoying yes, but not a major issue, and the seat can be cleaned, although I don't see why you should have to do it so ideally you need to get recompense for having it professionally done if its really bad.

The extra 90 miles and diesel is not acceptable at all though - in effect unless they can show it was necessary then the MH was in effect used without your permission nor Hymer's as both your and their insurance wouldn't cover it for another party's 'personal' use ... this is a crime I believe, something that should definitely be pointed out to the company - whoever was responsible for taking care of your MH needs to be disciplined at the very least if this was indeed 'personal' use. It doesn't bear thinking about if they had had an accident with your MH and written it off!

So put it down in writing first (this will also get it clear in your head) then contact the company and ask for their email address so you can send it in once you've spoken to whoever is in charge, not the minions, but someone higher up. Let them know that you are not happy at all but do NOT rant and rave as it will get you nowhere.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No it wasn't ,I wouldn't have been at all happy. I agree with what @Minxy Girl says.

If you say nothing they will continue to do it to others & maybe even yourself when it goes in again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The van may have been used by the OP but the damage wasn't there before the company took it away for repair, unacceptable to return a van it that state and not even mention it to the customer.
And an additional 90 miles on the clock is totaly out of order.
I made that comment as I have bought 3 new Hymers in Belgium, Hymers warranty is Pan European although some UK do bulk at fixing vans bought elsewhere at lot of the reason is they get lower labour rates for warranty work. Doesn't happen abroad as the dealers don't rip customers off with silly labour rates so it doesn't matter to them.
Last van we had quite a few bits fixed by the local dealer but I prefer to take my van back to supplying dealer as they just do the job & don't query everything like UK dealers.
Current van with additional £12k for my trade in over UK dealers offer and the 20% discount on the new Hymer (factory order) I saved £25,000, I think that may pay for a few trips to Belgium.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
My wife and I would feel exactly the same way. It just isn't on to pay a lot of money and be treated like that. Tell the dealer exactly how you feel and in particular how it affected your wife. As someone has previously said maybe a few years of free servicing but also an apology and a bunch of flowers for your wife would be the least I would expect.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Missing miles ?

I mean cmon.

I know that when you're upset about something you can blow the smallest thing out of proportion but really on a £100k van that you've had to order and wait on ....a small scratch , a dirty mark on a seat and a pee in a toilet is not worth the hassle of rejecting a vehicle , months of heartache misery and missed enjoyment.

The dealer will fix the scratch good as new , the seat will clean up , the pee is perhaps cheeky but realistically no harm done and a 10 mile discrepancy is neither here nor there.

I don't believe for a second someone has spent a night away with the van there would be a lot more signs and miles if they had.

Having seen and read some of the serious issues folk have had with new vans and the months of agony they've went through to get it sorted...in comparison really it's not worth all the agro.

As @Jim said there will be worse scratches to come in use and without seatcovers a lot of work keeping seats clean.
Sorry i thought that they were missing 90 miles, guess i must of read it wrong.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I really don't want any hassle and just want to get on with enjoying my van, I wouldn't like to identify the dealer until they have had time to consider what they will do.

I feel bad complaining but it really has got to me and upset my wife who was gutted by it.
Don't be upset about complaining. You have paid for a service and it is rightly yours. Go straight to the MD/Owner of the company, let him sort it out. Remind him you have been asked by this forum to report back on their response.
Phil

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry i thought that they were missing 90 miles, guess i must of read it wrong.
No it seems I'm the one who's read it wrong

Although I still think the op needs to enquire with the dealer whether they fixed the camera themselves or subcontracted it which could possibly explain the miles..

I think if someone had used the van for a night away there would be a lot more signs of it.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think everyone here can sense your distress and reluctance to get involved in a dispute. Someone, however, has treated you and your wife despicably and you deserve, at the very least, an explanation, an apology and some form of goodwill gesture.

If you haven't heard from the dealer yet, I would e-mail the MD, addressing him by name, setting out the facts objectively and attaching the photographs you have shared with us. As I said earlier, I suspect he is unaware of the situation and would surely want to know.

It is utterly pointless dealing with the service manager as I suspect he was responsible for organising the fiasco in the first place and is likely to be defensive.

You will no doubt have to return to the dealer for service and warranty work, so you need to resolve the matter somehow.

Whatever action you take, best of luck.

OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
I have had a response today saying they would send the same casual driver back to collect the vehicle tomorrow, when I asked what they were doing they didn't know or refused to answer.

I think the staff and the way they are dealing with this is a real disgrace, why would they even consider using casual drivers after the last episode, he drove with the TV swinging around in the rear.

I have lost all respect for the company now and will try and call Hymer tomorrow, but I don't hold out for much hope with them.

Has anyone ever contacted them before?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I have had a response today saying they would send the same casual driver back to collect the vehicle tomorrow, when I asked what they were doing they didn't know or refused to answer.

I think the staff and the way they are dealing with this is a real disgrace, why would they even consider using casual drivers after the last episode, he drove with the TV swinging around in the rear.

I have lost all respect for the company now and will try and call Hymer tomorrow, but I don't hold out for much hope with them.

Has anyone ever contacted them before?

I really think you should let the dealer have a chance to put matters right.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back