Not a happy bunny (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
We recently changed our motorhome for what we hoped would be our dream motorhome, on the day before collection which was a Tuesday we where called saying it wasn't ready and the rear view camera was not working and would need to go to Mercedes for a update, I advised them I had paid £60 for train tickets and was none to pleased, they then informed me that the van was booked in at Mercedes on Thursday for me to drop off which I had agreed to as I was told it was only a hour or so job do but not without being told and especially as we where booked to go away on Friday.
I had a bit of a wobbler and told them I wanted a refund for the let down, eventually I agreed for them to deliver it that day and they would collect and get the camera sorted for us at a later date which all sounded good.
The van was delivered which is brand new but we noticed that the toilet had been used and the urine was still in there, we ignored this as all we wanted was to get on with it and go away on the Friday.

We went away and had a great time.

This Tuesday a driver was sent to collect the van and sort out the camera issue and he would return it the next day, the next day came and went and then ran into Thursday, I had a call saying it was all sorted and it was on its way back.

When the driver brought it back I noticed there was a couple of deep scratches on the front of the bumper and the front cream leather seats were badly soiled with dirt/oil, I also noticed that half a tank of diesel had been used and an addition 90miles had been added to the clock, I had allowed 80 miles there and back to the dealers but it looks like someone has been taking drives in it.
I also noticed that the TV was extended out on th bracket swinging around as it was driven back to us.

Is it me being picky or do I have a right to be pissed off after spending over £100k on a motorhome and having the service I would expect from a back street garage.

What would other people do or is this the norm, my previous local to me dealer Morans who unfortunately does not do the brand I have chosen used to be such a great caring family run business who would not have let this happen

The sales side of the company I have used are great but the service side is very poor now in my books.

Unhappy Jonny.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would be straight back to the dealer.
Take photos of all the damage and email them first to give them a chance to explain and offer some kind of recompense.
Does it have a tracker.
You maybe able to trace where it's been for the extra miles, the dealer would have no excuse for that as it will be date and time stamped for the period it was in their care.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
That's horrendous, has someone had a night away in the motorhome or been showing off to their friends?
I think you've every right to be angry, I'd be apoplectic & heads would roll.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Blimey I'm suprised you haven't exploded, that is outrageous. I think I would want everything sorted properly and a retrospective discount for the second hand van they are palming you off with at least 10%.
As for fixing it, the toilet get them to give you a fresh up kit which has a new cassette & seat. The scratches, don't let them just touch them in, if it's a white body they need reparing with gel coat don't let them spay it, if silver get them to respray the whole bumper because if they just do the area it he sprayed area may show up after a year or two.

What's the van?

OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
I have emailed and tried to call the only person to reply is the service guy who has said he will get a mobile repair done on the bumper and a mobile valeter to clean it, the after sales girl was on another line and then broke up for her holidays before she could speak to me, I have lost all faith in the company and feel like selling the motorhome and starting again.

IMG_3418.jpeg
IMG_3419.jpeg
IMG_3420.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3419.jpeg
    IMG_3419.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
Blimey I'm suprised you haven't exploded, that is outrageous. I think I would want everything sorted properly and a retrospective discount for the second hand van they are palming you off with at least 10%.
As for fixing it, the toilet get them to give you a fresh up kit which has a new cassette & seat. The scratches, don't let them just touch them in, if it's a white body they need reparing with gel coat don't let them spay it, if silver get them to respray the whole bumper because if they just do the area it he sprayed area may show up after a year or two.

What's the van?
Hymer BMC 680 I, brand new van with trotter independence warranty

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
You have every right to be angry, I agree with Lenny HB suggested route. Keep copies of everything for future reference, just in case you take them to court. Agree with your assessment of Moran's, I too wish they delt with other brands.

Good luck.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
the service guy who has said he will get a mobile repair done on the bumper
I wouldn't let them get away with that, looks like a white bumper needs a proper GRP man to do the job.
The seats look like someone has spent days lounging about in it with dirty overalls not just a casual brush by a mechanic.

Reject it, by one in Belgium or Germany and put 15 grand in your pocket.:)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Nah! enjoy your new van.

We bought a new power boat a few years ago now. It had a 400 litre holding tank for black waste. First time we pumped it out at sea, the manufacturer had not fitted the waste pipe and it pumped around 300 litres of sewerage into the bilges!!

Boy did i complain!

Anyways, after the dealer paid several times to have the bilges cleaned and sterilized, and fix the problem, we had so many wonderful years of boating.. One of my biggest regrets was selling the boat to buy a yacht!

If your dealer will fix it, ENJOY your new van!!!! That's my experience!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
You have written the details out well. Formalise them in an email and finish the letter with the threat of rejection but asking for a compensation figure and for whatever else you want fixed. Be sure and reject the first 2 offers.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I don't think you're being picky at all - I'd be livid. You bought a new motorhome and that's what you should have.

I'd write to the dealership giving all the details, the timeline of events and the photos you have. I'd make an appointment to meet with a person in authority at the dealership and take the vehicle in to discuss what they will do to resolve the issue.

I hope you get everything sorted out and compensation for your trouble.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Personally I could never justify paying anything like £100k for anything that didn't have concrete foundations....

Never even paid £20k for a MH and have had few problems with any of them.......and a spare £80k to sort them;)

Not unsympathetic, just a different point of view.....

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Did you use your credit card to pay for any of it. If so just check out with them if they can help. I think even if you've only paid a small amount on a card they have to assist you.
Also Trading Standards are very helpful.
It sounds like you'll have to be tough with them and so all the support yu can get the better.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you paid for it on finance/part finance get them involved, there is no way on earth I would accept a brand new van not only delivered in a 'used' condition, but then damaged by the dealer's staff.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's bl○○dy terrible news.

The damage is one thing but having someone pee in your toilet prior to delivery is something else.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ok playing devils advocate here but

Whilst I get you're annoyed and quite rightly so I'm assuming you've waited a while for this vehicle.

The bumper damage I'd be the most annoyed about but it can be repaired and the dealer should cover that.

The oily mark on the seat , that happens with mechanics they tend to put thin plastic seat covers over when doing work but they are next to useless ....that combined with white leather seats results in dirty marks ....a valet will clean it . But be prepared you'll always be cleaning them ....I hated having light coloured upholstery in cars and previous camper and I'd never purposely buy a motorhome with them as I'd be constantly scared to use it.

As for the pee in the toilet ....it's a pee, maybe the delivery driver got caught short either way it's not something worse having an anurism over.

Have the dealer fix the bumper clean the seat and empty the toilet .....couple of tablets for the headache and enjoy the van.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
I work in the car delivery / trade plate driver sector and whilst I can in no way condone their behaviour I am not surprised. Most people involved in the trade are good decent people but there are a lot who just don’t give a monkeys and will happily pee in your toilet , scratch the paintwork and use the vehicle as their own with absolutely no concscience at all. I know of several cases where drivers have used customers cars in this way including a brand new Ferrari which incurred a speeding fine overnight whilst in the drivers care when it was supposed to be parked securely . One extreme case was when one driver asked a colleague to drop the car in the following day for him and he kept it for 2 weeks and used it as a taxi !
A large proportion of the motor trade use self employed trade plate drivers to deliver vehicles to the customer , especially if it’s a long way from the dealership and although your contract is with the vendor it may not be their staff who are the culprits . Might be worth asking them if that is the case here and then either they or you can seek recompense from the delivery company .

OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
The guy who dropped it off was a casual driver and I think the mistake the dealer made was not having it back to inspect it after having the work done and rectify any valeting/damaged caused.
Communication is also a key factor its nice to know what's going on not knowing is very frustrating. The van is lovely and my wife has cleaned it up like new again but its the fact that they don't seemed concerned once the money has been spent with them.
I have requested a full refund but have heard nothing back as yet, I have called the sales man but have not return call as yet only from the service guy.
Thanks for all your replies.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I agree with the comment above, get everything sorted with a cash discount for the inconvenience. I sometimes wonder how much clout this forum has when we name and shame such dealers. Surely we have such a tremendous purchasing power that dealers can't afford to ignore our complaints?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I agree with the comment above, get everything sorted with a cash discount for the inconvenience. I sometimes wonder how much clout this forum has when we name and shame such dealers. Surely we have such a tremendous purchasing power that dealers can't afford to ignore our complaints?
@Jim will be the best person to answer that one, but personally, I don't think that collectively, we have as much clout as we might think we have. :(
The best we can do collectively, is post good and bad HERE.

To the OP, the very best of luck getting the result that you wish for. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I’d be furious too.
Wearing dark coloured jeans can have that effect on leather seats. A baby wipe brings it straight off. Not that you should have to do that I may add. Just mentioning it.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
For me the worst parts would be 1.the scratches, 2.the missing miles (did someone spend a snealy night in it)
The rest, clean the seat, I'm sure it's not the last time you will have to do that, and empty / clean the toilet, then finally enjoy your lovely motorhome which you's have waited for.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The first few scratches in a new van are heartbreaking, even more so if you are not responsible. But they won't be the last. The scratches in my vans act like a journal, do you remember when this happened or when we were stuck there etc. The leather will clean up. and with Lesson learned about that particular dealer Get out and enjoy it.. Or you could reject it and have months of worry and an ulcer (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back