LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have had a response today saying they would send the same casual driver back to collect the vehicle tomorrow, when I asked what they were doing they didn't know or refused to answer.

I think the staff and the way they are dealing with this is a real disgrace, why would they even consider using casual drivers after the last episode, he drove with the TV swinging around in the rear.

I have lost all respect for the company now and will try and call Hymer tomorrow, but I don't hold out for much hope with them.

Has anyone ever contacted them before?

Hymer used to be very good with customers but for the last couple of years they just refer you back to your dealer. In this case as you are complaining about the dealer I think they will take notice.

U assume you will not let the same driver anywhere near your van.

OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
I have tonight been in contact with the salesman who sold me the van and he assures me he will do everything to put things right, so fingers crossed it will hopefully put this to bed.

I will be there tomorrow to discuss it with him.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have tonight been in contact with the salesman who sold me the van and he assures me he will do everything to put things right, so fingers crossed it will hopefully put this to bed.

As before, good luck. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You need to allow the dealer to put matters right but they should be able to tell you what they intend to do to rectify things. It all sounds very unsatisfactory.

I'd get back in touch with the dealer and tell them that you'll bring the vehicle in yourself. Make an appointment to see someone in authority to discuss the issues with you when you call in. Keep everything in writing.

Good luck!

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
They are now taking the proverbial and clearly have no respect for you at all. You must do what you are comfortable with, but if I'd spent ÂŁ100k plus and received this sort of treatment I'd be apoplectic.

I would not let this driver anywhere near the vehicle, nor would I let the dealer have it back until he had put forward remedies that I was completely happy with.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry Longjohn, posted before I saw your last response. Good luck.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Forty years ago I was at a crossroads in my life.....I was taxi driving looking for a new career - I'd been in accountancy and retail but wanted to work with my hands.

I came up with 3 ideas which I researched:

1. Domestic burglar alarms (I'd rewired a couple of properties)

2. Build stone fireplaces and fit gas fires (I'd done a few as an amateur)

3. Convert vans to campers (I had a bay window VW van at the time)

After reading this thread I am glad I chose number 2

For crying out loud the problem was only reported to the dealer a couple of days ago

(n)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Forty years ago I was at a crossroads in my life.....I was taxi driving looking for a new career - I'd been in accountancy and retail but wanted to work with my hands.

I came up with 3 ideas which I researched:

1. Domestic burglar alarms (I'd rewired a couple of properties)

2. Build stone fireplaces and fit gas fires (I'd done a few as an amateur)

3. Convert vans to campers (I had a bay window VW van at the time)

After reading this thread I am glad I chose number 2

For crying out loud the problem was only reported to the dealer a couple of days ago

(n)

I used to build fireplaces,, from stone fronts, marble three piece, to inglenooks,, one of the most enjoyable jobs I’ve ever done!

I wish I’d have gone on a fitting course for these log burners,, huge money!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And are you being reimbursed for the diesel, which after two visits amount ( virtually ) to a full tank )

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm just curious how they reacted. Matter of fact, or grovelling ?

OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
Bumper is having a wrap to lower part to match grill which I’m happy with, as I don’t want the complete front painted, costs have been sorted and they accept mistakes where made and I accept that Mercedes where the ones that caused the damage.
They have been fair and We are happy.

Thanks for all your responses and listening to me whinge and whine.

We are away Friday to Exeter then on to Helston and Perranporth to wind down.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Bumper is having a wrap to lower part to match grill which I’m happy with, as I don’t want the complete front painted,
As I said in a couple of posts it's GRP with a gel coat, if they were going to paint it it means they haven't got a clue. I would have it repaired properly if it were me.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The OP is happy.....what more is needed?

Hopefully he and his wife enjoy their van and they still have a reasonable relationship with the dealer.....as Jim said - more scratches will happen....

..overhanging trees down narrow lanes, kids playing football on sites, Frenchmen parking too close on Aires.....et al...enjoy!;)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The-A-Team.jpg

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
We recently changed our motorhome for what we hoped would be our dream motorhome, on the day before collection which was a Tuesday we where called saying it wasn't ready and the rear view camera was not working and would need to go to Mercedes for a update, I advised them I had paid ÂŁ60 for train tickets and was none to pleased, they then informed me that the van was booked in at Mercedes on Thursday for me to drop off which I had agreed to as I was told it was only a hour or so job do but not without being told and especially as we where booked to go away on Friday.
I had a bit of a wobbler and told them I wanted a refund for the let down, eventually I agreed for them to deliver it that day and they would collect and get the camera sorted for us at a later date which all sounded good.
The van was delivered which is brand new but we noticed that the toilet had been used and the urine was still in there, we ignored this as all we wanted was to get on with it and go away on the Friday.

We went away and had a great time.

This Tuesday a driver was sent to collect the van and sort out the camera issue and he would return it the next day, the next day came and went and then ran into Thursday, I had a call saying it was all sorted and it was on its way back.

When the driver brought it back I noticed there was a couple of deep scratches on the front of the bumper and the front cream leather seats were badly soiled with dirt/oil, I also noticed that half a tank of diesel had been used and an addition 90miles had been added to the clock, I had allowed 80 miles there and back to the dealers but it looks like someone has been taking drives in it.
I also noticed that the TV was extended out on th bracket swinging around as it was driven back to us.

Is it me being picky or do I have a right to be pissed off after spending over ÂŁ100k on a motorhome and having the service I would expect from a back street garage.

What would other people do or is this the norm, my previous local to me dealer Morans who unfortunately does not do the brand I have chosen used to be such a great caring family run business who would not have let this happen

The sales side of the company I have used are great but the service side is very poor now in my books.

Unhappy Jonny.
Unfortunately it's always the sales side which is good, that when all the pleasantries end,but yes, you have every right to be peed off, you should name and shame, as I have a feeling who it might be, I think they have just relocated to brand new premises haven't they, I would be inclined to ask for some kind of compensation, if they are any sort of company they should make some sort of offer and written apology,for what that's worth.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
The guy who dropped it off was a casual driver and I think the mistake the dealer made was not having it back to inspect it after having the work done and rectify any valeting/damaged caused.
Communication is also a key factor its nice to know what's going on not knowing is very frustrating. The van is lovely and my wife has cleaned it up like new again but its the fact that they don't seemed concerned once the money has been spent with them.
I have requested a full refund but have heard nothing back as yet, I have called the sales man but have not return call as yet only from the service guy.
Thanks for all your replies.
Come on name them,it's what they deserve for the way they have treated you.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
The main reason for posting here was to see if anyone thought my feeling of anger was over top, my wife was all most in tears it’s our pride and joy, would most people accept this.
Normally I take things in my stride and accept little niggles and sort them out my self due to years of experience.
Like I mentioned earlier the van was taken by a casual employed driver to Mercedes and then back to me, its in-between this time that the van recorded more miles, dirty seats and damaged front end.
I’m thinking it may be better not complaining and just sorting out the repairs myself.
You are well within your rights to feel the way you do mate, can't believe that some of the respondents on here would be taking the laid back attitude they are advocating, it would be a different story if it was their ÂŁ100k their responses would be more along the lines of your own.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp

Good for you ,I really hope you have a satisfactory outcome .

Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
Hi John, been a while since I visited your place to buy that lovely wee Honda. Here's me with it in Spain last Sep/Oct. Feel your pain mate and glad you've had a satisfactory outcome. Enjoy the break and maybe we'll catch up again on here if not on the GSer forum.
Archie

Attachments

• CB500X-3.jpg
    CB500X-3.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 32
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Hi sorry you had these problems, the dealer I bought our Chausson from was I .the Southwest ,it took 6 hours for us to accept the vehicle and the Salesman said as we were leaving ,you must hold the record for the longest handover ,I exploded, and said " If the ******** was prepared properly we would not be here now, " we returned 4 times in 4 days for fault rectifications, !!
As a Ex Garage Owner we always checked around vehicles with Customer.
When I take our Motorhome to Servicing Dealer I insist they walk around vehicle with me ,and I will also point out any defects. saves a lot of agro.

OP
OP
Longjohn
Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
Hi John, been a while since I visited your place to buy that lovely wee Honda. Here's me with it in Spain last Sep/Oct. Feel your pain mate and glad you've had a satisfactory outcome. Enjoy the break and maybe we'll catch up again on here if not on the GSer forum.
Archie
Hi Archie,
Glad you enjoying and using the Honda I've just got a Ktm 790 adv which fits in the motorhome garage and do like it at the moment, have a small trip into France soon on it.
All the best John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back