Non road fuel priced propane supplies (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The vast majority of LPG pumps / stations provide the fuel at a price that includes road fuel duty. If you register with Country Wide to purchase gas for heating and cooking only they will charge only the duty applicable to domestic supplies. Are there any other suppliers that do this?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just Googled Country Wide. Do you mean the agricultural supplies company? If so the website announces they've just gone into liquidation.

Only other seems to be estate agents.

Can you clarify?

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I had no idea that Country Wide had gone into admin but it seems they have. Sad really, another seemingly good company bites the dust.

What do you need clarified?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
The vast majority of LPG pumps / stations provide the fuel at a price that includes road fuel duty. If you register with Country Wide to purchase gas for heating and cooking only they will charge only the duty applicable to domestic supplies. Are there any other suppliers that do this?
yes ,calor will do the same .but you have to use their actual depots .
me and john and joan have been pestering flogas for years to do it .
but calor if you have an account its ok.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just Googled Country Wide. Do you mean the agricultural supplies company? If so the website announces they've just gone into liquidation.

Only other seems to be estate agents.

Can you clarify?

I had no idea that Country Wide had gone into admin but it seems they have. Sad really, another seemingly good company bites the dust.

What do you need clarified?

Yes they went bust but sold the LPG business before they did so, and it is still a going concern now part of DCC who own Flogas. You can still get supplies but must tell them if you are buying for MH heating and cooking to benefit from the 5% rate

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Calor at Bury St Edmunds and the Norwich depot use to charge lower vat for heating and cooking, but not any longer, you cant even fill refillable bottles. :rolleyes: Bob.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Calor at Bury St Edmunds and the Norwich depot use to charge lower vat for heating and cooking, but not any longer, you cant even fill refillable bottles. :rolleyes: Bob.
One Calor depot we went to will not allow refilling of fixed tanks either if for habitation use but the guy in the yard said I haven't seen you filling the other tank !

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Liquidation..... :eek:

Better get my £5 key deposit back or I'll shout at them.... LOUDLY.

Funny, they always emailed me as the price fluctuated....you'd think they could have emailed and said they were in the sh!t.

Dec 3, 2007
bristol
Funster No
MH
fiat autotrail imala 730
Exp
since 2005
Countrywidelpg.co.uk has taken over the lpg side of the buisness

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I did email bp twice about the reduced tax rate but no response.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Unless you are using LPG for driving the engine in your Moho or RV, then the amount you would save on the VAT difference for cooking and heating would be negligible. Hardest part is finding a retailer who would sell LPG at two different VAT rates.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My local LPG garage has just upped the price to 73p per litre from 64p before the sudden shortage which is now over. The less they had in tanks the bigger the price got, now it doesn't come down again.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I'm a retired Chartered Accountant and it never occurred to me to think about getting refill gas cheaper because its going to be used for cooking and heating. Whilst this is quite correct: putting this into practice presents some unique challenges for the retailer. As far as I am concerned the refillable gas is so much cheaper than Calor that I'm delighted if I pay for the gas at fuel rates of duty and VAT rather than cooking and heating!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Would it be possible to reclaim the duty from HMRC on presentation of recipts and a declaration that the gas was used for domestic purposes?

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Would it be possible to reclaim the duty from HMRC on presentation of recipts and a declaration that the gas was used for domestic purposes?
I would think so if you are V.A.T registered and the fuel (gas) was used for that business.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Countrywide emailed us and told us about the liquidation and the new company. Sad day but at least the LPG side survived.

I ve previously asked the question about using our 1200 litre bulk tank for car as well but apparently you need a pick up at the bottom of the tank so that you put liquid into the car tank as opposed to drawing gas off the top but it is doable!! I know of people who used to fill their cars from inverted calor bottles.

It is right that you should only be charged the lower rate for habitation, in the same way you shouldnt be paying road duty on the petrol you put in gennys or mowers but trying getting it!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Liquidation..... :eek:

Better get my £5 key deposit back or I'll shout at them.... LOUDLY.

Funny, they always emailed me as the price fluctuated....you'd think they could have emailed and said they were in the sh!t.
As above, they aren’t broke; I received a message saying business as normal and that the lpg business had been sold to Flogas. No problems.

The LPG part of the business had been sold back in January with completion at the beginning of March and is not connected with Countrywide administration

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well how much vat do calor charge on their bottles, when it is all for cooking , but still twice as much as lpg with the road vat on it.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I'm a retired Chartered Accountant and it never occurred to me to think about getting refill gas cheaper because its going to be used for cooking and heating. Whilst this is quite correct: putting this into practice presents some unique challenges for the retailer. As far as I am concerned the refillable gas is so much cheaper than Calor that I'm delighted if I pay for the gas at fuel rates of duty and VAT rather than cooking and heating!

I couldn't agree more, I recently topped my gas up for the first time in almost a year and only managed to squeeze in 7.27 litres. At such light use, it wouldn't be with the effort for me.

It has made me realise I eat out too much ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back