Newbie numpty buying privately - help! (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Hi all you lovely knowledgeable people. Me and SWMBO (Bob and Lyn) are going to have a look at an Autotrail Cheyenne 840D (2009) on a private sale very soon but as this will be our first motorhome are not sure what we should be looking at or what questions we should be asking!! Your guidance would be warmly welcomed and if any experienced people are about in the Bristol area .........?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Download and read Jim's "Buyer's Guide" in the resources section as a starting point ...

Damp is a biggie to check for as Autotrails can become Watertrails sometimes!

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Even if everything looks kosher, make sure you get close to the layout you want. Lounge, bed type, shower, A class coachbuilt, etc.
Exciting project, good luck,Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Thanks buttons, hope it’s not a watertrail lol!

Gillnphil thanks for that, we have been exploring all the layouts and options for quite some time and believe that the Cheyenne is best suited for what we need. Plan to do UK this summer (if we get one lol) and do France and Spain etc., in the autumn (yes, we are retired

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
There will be lots of warnings and dire prognostications about buying privately. So much so that it may seem so fraught with pitfalls as to be not worth considering. Just try to keep all this in balance. The first motorhome we looked at was advertised as, "the worst investment my parents could possibly have made". I only read the advert as I expected it to be a tale of woe that kept breaking down, faulty, unusable or some kind of rip-off. It turned out that the couple, on retiring, had opted to spend their money on the motorhome but had no motorhoming experience. They were wary of driving it anywhere, would not consider driving abroad (and we all know this is not the best country for motorhomes!) and so it just sat on their drive not being used. I made a few checks before going to see it. We went to look (still prepared that it might be a heap of junk) and found it in excellent condition. It had an overcab bed (we scoffed at the idea of sleeping up there). Said, "thank you very much" and drove off. Before we reached the end of the road we made a decision. We continued round the block and said, "We'll have it".
We now realise how many things could have gone wrong but for 7 years that van was ideal. Took us to many wonderful places and experiences we would never have had. We went to many shows since but didn't see a layout we preferred and as to the overcab bed, tried it just for a laugh and found it so big and comfortable that we never slept anywhere else.
There will be tales, I am sure, of purchases that may have gone wrong but I don't suppose that many come forward to show that things can also go right. :xThumb:

Wyn

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Have a look at it... If you like it ask if you can arrange a private habitation check...
Any genuine seller should not object especially if you are paying for it.. A mobile engineer maybe £100-150 but could be money well spend. You can find someone from here.. http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop

Damp is a factor, they are not all bad and any motorhome can have issues but its a major thing to check for. After that you want to ensure all the appliances are working as some can be a big expense... Dont rush, lots of vans out there,,,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Thanks Wyn, great to hear of your good experience. I think sometimes you just have to trust your gut feeling on things. I think you’re correct when you say that you don’t necessarily hear of the times that things go right.

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
When I was looking for my first motorhome earlier this year I looked at a number of Autotrails as I liked their interiors and layouts. Without exception everyone I tested had some level of damp, most were over 20%. Make sure you get an independent damp check done before you buy, it's so easy to get carried away with the excitement of buying your first motorhome.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Great advice Tonka, will def consider doing that

You can arrange with the engineer to ONLY send you the report and not to be stating anything to the seller.
If it's a good report you can negotiate further on the purchase. If it's bad then could try and offer the report for half price to recover some costs and give the seller info on any issues.. Well, that would be my approach anyway. :xThumb:

ps.. I know someone with a 2012 Apache 700.. :xwink::xwink:

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Take your nose with you???
Your nasal tract is a very potent piece of kit. Use it.
If the 'van smells like a boudoir, beware. That's a sign that someone is masking the smell of the dreaded damp.
I appreciate that there are sprays out there that can 'kill' an odour without it smelling like the inside of 'The Perfume Shop' but, open small spaces like lockers and cupboards and have a good sniff.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Did you not get that Autotrail Savannah you put a deposit on back in July?
If you just want an extra pair of eyes I am willing to come but I don’t have any experience of coachbuilts only having owned PVCs.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Some great advice from everyone, especially @tonka .

A habitation check will take care of the possibility of damp, especially if you stress to the engineer that you want reassurance on this matter. Auto trails do have a reputation for leaks but earlier models appear to be better. Not all their vehicles are affected.

In our opinion the first thing is to check the layout. Defects can be repaired and negotiation with the seller may reduce the cost sufficiently to pay for them. Lay cannot be changed. More motorhomes have been exchanged because of having the wrong layout than for repairable defects. We, ourselves, have fallen into this trap once, falling in love with the look and “quality” of a m/h only to find that the layout was not suitable for us for long term use. We traded in after 18 months, taking a loss.

Check the layout, look for obvious defects and then, if Happy, get that habitation check. Ask the seller to hold the sale until the check has been done. If they won’t agree consider walking away.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We bought our first privately 6 years ago still regularly see dealers asking more than we paid now for ones the same age if its the right one in the right condition a private sale especially if its a winter price can be a very good deal. I would have a hab/damp check done though you could negociate a price dependant on no damp first if you are really keen.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Toyota Camper.jpg

Our first camper was similar to this but an S reg

1600cc petrol engine bought privately in 1996 for less than £1000 and took our family of 5 to Spain + a tent - with just a water tank, sink and camping stove.

Since bought a Burstner615, an Eribacar and a Mobilvetta all privately - no real problems or issues with any.

You should get a better deal privately + maybe some history/useful tips from the owner.

Money saved should more than cover any problems, assuming you have checked for damp and rust - most MH's will have much lower mileage than the same year commercial van but sometimes suffer by just standing - old tyres etc

Good luck with your search - and as many will say layout is the most important 'feature'

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Did you not get that Autotrail Savannah you put a deposit on back in July?
If you just want an extra pair of eyes I am willing to come but I don’t have any experience of coachbuilts only having owned PVCs.

Hi Annie surprised that you remembered we were buying the Savannah! Unfortunately that one didn’t work out for us and we lost the deposit but onwards and upwards lol!
Thanks for your offer of lending us your eyes, we have decided that if we like it we will get an independent inspection done on it. At the moment we have a good feeling about the people and the motorhome but will judge that more on the day.
Thanks again, watch this space, will let you all know how it goes,
Bob and Lyn

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
As a first time buyer. Do you need one that big?

Hi Alex,
We have had caravans, trailer tents and a boat in the past and having two dogs feel that space is important to us. I have just retired from driving HGVs so am not concerned about the size of the vehicle. (It’s not that big, only a micro wagon for me lol!)

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
We can all put our two penny worth in and try to point you in the right direction...however...You and you alone will know if its the right one for you both! A design for us may not work for you and so on and so forth. The comments regarding damp and history etc...certainly need looking in to. The purchase is one thing, the maintenance and upkeep....they are another!
What ever you choose...you will curse and condemn and love and cherrish regardless of what is said on here. The important part is that you are on a journey ....one that will bring joy and tears regardless. Have fun with it , don't stress too much when things fail. There are always answers to whatever questions you may have. Just enjoy the trip!

Kev and Carolyn

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
We can all put our two penny worth in and try to point you in the right direction...however...You and you alone will know if its the right one for you both! A design for us may not work for you and so on and so forth. The comments regarding damp and history etc...certainly need looking in to. The purchase is one thing, the maintenance and upkeep....they are another!
What ever you choose...you will curse and condemn and love and cherrish regardless of what is said on here. The important part is that you are on a journey ....one that will bring joy and tears regardless. Have fun with it , don't stress too much when things fail. There are always answers to whatever questions you may have. Just enjoy the trip!

Kev and Carolyn

Thanks Kev and Carolyn, wise words :)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Layout will be the number one priority for you drawing up a short list of possible makes and models.

After that remember that damp would be the most expensive thing to repair / cure. After that it's the major appliances. Anything can be repaired given unlimited funds and time but you don't want to be doing that.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Just had a look on Autotrader at Autotrail Cheyenne's and 2009 models are in the region of £35k from what I see.....

My question is...... we paid £38,500 last year for our 2015 Swift Escape with 2800miles on in. Plastics on the mattress's still and 2 years van warranty and 9 years damp warranty etc etc still remaining.

Now I know Autotrail are a better make of van but is there really that much difference in getting a lower end essentially brand new van with more modern design and build over a 8 year old Autotrail to make it worth while?

I have been to many motorhome shows and really feel you can feel the dated look of a lot of older vans re upholstery etc...... Once you have something its less noticeable as it becomes yours and your ass groove in the seat but buying I personally would look towards year or 2 old at that sort of money.

Just a query as why not really.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But there are lots of different views there are a lot who would sooner have a 10 year old hymer we chose a new chausson each to their own

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Just had a look on Autotrader at Autotrail Cheyenne's and 2009 models are in the region of £35k from what I see.....

My question is...... we paid £38,500 last year for our 2015 Swift Escape with 2800miles on in. Plastics on the mattress's still and 2 years van warranty and 9 years damp warranty etc etc still remaining.

Now I know Autotrail are a better make of van but is there really that much difference in getting a lower end essentially brand new van with more modern design and build over a 8 year old Autotrail to make it worth while?

I have been to many motorhome shows and really feel you can feel the dated look of a lot of older vans re upholstery etc...... Once you have something its less noticeable as it becomes yours and your ass groove in the seat but buying I personally would look towards year or 2 old at that sort of money.

Just a query as why not really.
I really like the interiors of new british motorhomes but the build quality is just not there. Don't think there will be many left on the roads in 15 years time.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
View attachment 203408

Our first camper was similar to this but an S reg

1600cc petrol engine bought privately in 1996 for less than £1000 and took our family of 5 to Spain + a tent - with just a water tank, sink and camping stove.

Since bought a Burstner615, an Eribacar and a Mobilvetta all privately - no real problems or issues with any.

You should get a better deal privately + maybe some history/useful tips from the owner.

Money saved should more than cover any problems, assuming you have checked for damp and rust - most MH's will have much lower mileage than the same year commercial van but sometimes suffer by just standing - old tyres etc

Good luck with your search - and as many will say layout is the most important 'feature'
My mum and dad had one of those...my mum still says to this day it was her favourite van

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back